Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Ufff...

I don' like what I just saw. I don't like that On-Line Coop is restricted to fighting a fucking balloon from XY Super Training. I don't like Dynamaxing, nor the name or the mechanic itself. Mega-Evolucions are ok. Yup, in terms of balance some are broken and some are just fine or suboptimal, but we're talking about the general idea of the mechanic. Pokémon change their design, sometimes change their Ability, even typing and BST in a more or less predictable manner. I can wait for a Mega-Lanturn, because I want to see how it develops, how can Game Freak redesign the Pokémon and change not only its appearance but everything. I don't care a bit about a Lanturn 9 times bigger with more raw Power. That's all. It seems like a simplier version of M-Evolution, with even less impact on the game and nowhere as deep.

Second. The fucking legendaries are the same. They are not Lati Twins, they are not Regi-Trio, they are not Cobalion, Virizion or Terrakion. No. They are mascots, they are main legendaries of their games. They need contrast. Ho-Oh and Lugia, Groudon and Kyogre, Dialga and Palkia, Zekrom and Reshiram, Xerneas and Yveltal, Solgaleo and Lunala. Those are main legendaries. Not the same 'mon with minor differences to the point that they could very well be the same Pokémon with an stage change mid-combat, like Aegislash, or two forms of the same Pokémon, like Keldeo and Keldeo Resolute. Whose, by the way, is tooooo similar to this new dogs.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
No, it isn't. It was always about catching Pokemon and trading them with friends. That's what Pokemon is at its core. Everything else is supplementary.
Huh? Yes it is.

Pokemon is comprised of three core aspects:
  • Catching
  • Trading
  • Battling
Catching and trading on its own is all well and good, but one of the key motives for even engaging in that at all is for the multiplayer, and as such it’s important to ensure that the multiplayer is fulfilling even if it’s ultimately largely luck based.

To call multiplayer battles supplementary is like calling the toppings supplementary to the pizza: sure, you can technically make one with just dough, but at that point it isn’t really a pizza. This ain’t like contests, secret bases or dyna raids/whatever they’re called.

I liked everything. The game looks fantastic, giant Pokémon are awesome and I enjoy the Raids.

Guess I will have some sleepless nights and pleasant days in November.

EDIT: Also, I really hope the younger brother of the Champion is a good rival, and that the undefeated Champion is actually tough.

Last edited:

BP

Upper Decky Lip Mints
is a Contributor to Smogon
Dynamaxing is giving me multiple consecutive Brain aneurysms. I really this doesn't fuck up competitive play all that much and is just for In-Game. I agree 100% with Martin on the topic. Z-moves were absolutely disgusting and SUMO was no different. I really hope Dynamaxing is not the same situation.

Regarding raid battles, it seems like a shameless cash grab for more people to buy their online service since in the Direct they state that you have to beat certain raid pokemon for other normal pokemon to appear in the wild world. I have no issue with this as I have online anyways for other games like Monster Hunter and Tetris. It just bothers me that it seems a big portion of this game requires online.

You're honestly delusional if you think the shiny, new, battle gimmick Game Freak is so proud of is going to be offline only lol. And it's not even that big a deal. It only lasts for 3 turns, so you can literally just do shit like fast sub on it and that's that. Plus we don't even know how big a boost it is, so chill.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I actually really like the idea of raid battles it’s like one of the saving graces of dynamax. I think dynamax is gonna be an awesome addition for casual in-game stuff at least even if it lames up versus multiplayer.

Regarding raid battles, it seems like a shameless cash grab for more people to buy their online service since in the Direct they state that you have to beat certain raid pokemon for other normal pokemon to appear in the wild world. I have no issue with this as I have online anyways for other games like Monster Hunter and Tetris. It just bothers me that it seems a big portion of this game requires online.
I think it was mentioned somewhere that you can accomplish Dynamax Raids with NPCs. The wording on the site also hints to this: "Additionally, some things you can do in the Wild Area, like Max Raid Battles, can become even more fun by connecting with other players."

BP

Upper Decky Lip Mints
You're honestly delusional if you think the shiny, new, battle gimmick Game Freak is so proud of is going to be offline only lol. And it's not even that big a deal. It only lasts for 3 turns, so you can literally just do shit like fast sub on it and that's that. Plus we don't even know how big a boost it is, so chill.
I literally said "I hope" for a reason. Also dynamax has the potential to really make things complicated which I'm not looking forward to which is why i'm HOPEFUL that it doesn't.

I think he meant that playing competitive with three mechanics at the same time would be really overwhelming. Think like that assuming dynamax is item based gimmick you may need to predict if a mon is either z or dynamax (an also mevo for very less amount of mons).

Like this:You are facing with either mag or lando then you are trying to predict what set they will use to you(either z or dynamax).Wouldn t that be nightmare.One prediction wrong you will be punished hard.

BP

Upper Decky Lip Mints
I think he meant that playing competitive with three mechanics at the same time would be really overwhelming. Think like that assuming dynamax is item based gimmick you may need to predict if a mon is either z or dynamax (an also mevo for very less amount of mons).

Like this:You are facing with either mag or lando then you are trying to predict what set they will use to you(either z or dynamax).Wouldn t that be nightmare.One prediction wrong you will be punished hard.
I really don't think Z-moves are coming back in Gen 8 and if they do than god save us all :blobnauseated:

I really don't think Z-moves are coming back in Gen 8 and if they do than god save us all :blobnauseated:
Without Z moves, Ultra Necrozma just doesn't exist anymore, so that'd be a bit awkward.

If Z moves really are gone, they could just change the way Necrozma Ultra Bursts, or Ultranecrozium Z becomes the sole Z crystal in the game and fills the same kind of role that the Blue and Red Orbs perform for Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon, respectively.

It's always the same shit. Megas are coming back, Z-Moves are coming back and Dynamax will be back in gen 9. After 3 generations how you people have not figured out these generational battle mechanics are permanent is beyond me. And honestly, imagine being this assblasted over a 2 minutes trailer that tells literally nothing about a feature other than "lol it gets bigger". Geez

It's always the same shit. Megas are coming back, Z-Moves are coming back and Dynamax will be back in gen 9. After 3 generations how you people have not figured out these generational battle mechanics are permanent is beyond me. And honestly, imagine being this assblasted over a 2 minutes trailer that tells literally nothing about a feature other than "lol it gets bigger". Geez
M-Evos are permanent, but that was obvious since day 1. They were a big mechanical change in the game's basis. Z-Moves are just a shenanigan with comparatively no impact and can be removed at any point. No one is going to worry about losing Sinister Arrow Raid, but getting rid of a Mega, which is not only an attack but a total redesign of the Pokémon (to the point they got their own entrydex), with substantial changes in his combat capabilities, ye, that isn't happening. Just don't compare Abilities, Hold Items, Natures or Mega-Evo to Z-Moves, which we've yet to see if are coming back to 8th gen.

About the part of dynamaxing being another centralizing mechanic like Megas and Z-Moves, there's the (admittedly unlikely) possibility that it might be banned on official-sanctioned tournaments.

Kind of like there was a big deal about using Candy in Let's Go, but it had no effect on the "serious" official format.

With the focus on Dynamaxing being limited to 3 turns, I almost wonder if you'll be prevented from switching out a Dynamaxed Pokemon. I would dislike the mechanic a lot less if that were the case, since it would make it a significant investment compared to the almost-always-immediate Mega Evolution or the one-turn-nuke of Z-moves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)