SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword & Shield Pre-Release SPOILERS - Check Post 2!

Hey, long time lurker of Smogon, made an account to share some of the number crunching I've done.

If we're to believe the leaked dex, here's some info I got...

First number crunch is simply individual pokemon returning out of totals from each generation.

Gen 1: 53/151 (35 percent)
Gen 2: 33/100 (33 percent)
Gen 3: 43/135 (31.85 percent)
Gen 4: 38/107 (35.5 percent)
Gen 5: 84/156 (53.85 percent)
Gen 6: 32/72 (44.4 percent)
Gen 7: 35/86 (40 percent)

318 returning pokemon out of 807 .... approximately 39.4 total pokemon from TOTAL previous generations are returning

Next calc is how much out of the TOTAL returning pokemon is comprised of by generation...
of the 318 pokemon approximately...
16 percent is gen 1
10 percent is gen 2
13.5 percent is gen 3
12 percent is gen 4
26.4 percent is gen 5
10 percent is gen 6
11 percent is gen 7

(margin of error ... 2.5 percent)

Knowing unique lines and how there are variables between how long the line is, and some pokemon introduced in later gens are continuations of previous lines, I've reduced them to simply unique lines and calculated the same thing.

First calc: how many unique lines introduced in a generation appear in Galar vs the total amount of unique lines per generation.

I've calculated this based on the FIRST TIME a pokemon from a unique line appears. So, for example, even though Roselia has 2 of its line debut in gen 4, I'm counting it as a Gen 3 line. I've EXCLUDED legendaries and fossils from the initial TOTAL unique line statistic, seeing as NO fossils or previous legendaries (save mew) have returned. I've INCLUDED starter lines based solely on the Charmander line appearing (meaning there was "potential" for all other starter lines to return). Percentages are calculated based off this number.

gen 1: 25 /71 (78 w/ leg + fossils) * (35.2 percent)
gen 2: 16 /46 (53 w/ leg) (34.7 percent)
gen 3 : 21 /62 (74 w/ leg+ fossils) (33.8 percent)
gen 4: 12 / 29 (44 w/ leg+ fossils) ** (41.37 percent)
gen 5: 42 / 53 (77 w/ leg + fossils) (79.2 percent)
gen 6: 15 / 30 (38 w/ leg + fossils) (50 percent)
gen 7: 21 / 34 (54 w/ leg) ** (61.7 percent)
TOTAL POSSIBLE UNIQUE LINES (excluding legs + fossils): 152/325 (approx 46.7 percent of potential returning lines have returned)

*mew is technically a legendary but is the only exception to no legendary rule
**counting phione/manaphy and cosmog >>>> solgaleo/lunala as 1 line each

This final crunch examines how much from each gen make up of the total unique lines returning (and for fun, doing a comparative percentage based off what I'm calling the "potentiality" of lines returning. So, the total unique lines by gen that are viable for Galar dex representation against the TOTAL amount that are viable, just to see if the percentages are different).

Using data in the previous spoiler, I crunched the # of unique lines by the total unique lines in gen 8. The percentage in the bracket shows the comparative unique line ratio that calculates ALL unique lines per generation against TOTAL unique lines in pokemon that would've been viable for gen 8 (325), to compare if the percentages are about the same.

gen 1: 16.4 percent (21.8 percent)
gen 2: 10.5 percent (14.1 percent)
gen 3: 13.8 percent (19 percent)
gen 4: 7.9 percent (8.9 percent)
gen 5: 27.6 percent (16.3 percent)
gen 6: 12 percent (9.2 percent)
gen 7: 13.8 percent (10.4 percent)

margin of error for...
unique lines by gen vs total unique lines in galar dex - 2.7 percent
potential unique lines by gen vs potential total unique lines viable for galar dex (number in brackets) - 0.3 percent

Conclusions:

to no one's surprise, gen 5 has the most representation.
The PERCENTAGE of gen 5 rep by individual pokemon is nearly double any other two generations combined.
Gen 4 has the least representation, but proportional to gen 4's quirk of more or less being a means to flesh out previous existing lines, the percentage of potential representation (8.9) vs ACTUAL representation (7.9) is comparable. By contrast, gen 5's POTENTIAL (16.3) compared to ACTUAL (27.6) is quite boosted.

Are there other numbers you'd like me to crunch? let me know!

Last edited:
I've been wondering how each type was affected by Dexit (as in, what percentage of each type's Pokemon are left out). Someone would have to crunch the numbers, but just eyballing it, it looks like Water and Ghost made out great, Fire and Poison not so good, and Normal got absolutely nuked. But like I said, that's just from a quick glance and could be wrong.

Hey, long time lurker of Smogon, made an account to share some of the number crunching I've done.

If we're to believe the leaked dex, here's some info I got...

Gen 1: 53/151 (35 percent)
Gen 2: 33/100 (33 percent)
Gen 3: 43/135 (31.85 percent)
Gen 4: 38/107 (35.5 percent)
Gen 5: 84/156 (53.85 percent)
Gen 6: 32/72 (44.4 percent)
Gen 7: 35/86 (40 percent)

318 returning pokemon out of 807 .... approximately 39.4 total pokemon from TOTAL previous generations are returning

of the 318 pokemon approximately...
16 percent is gen 1
10 percent is gen 2
13.5 percent is gen 3
12 percent is gen 4
26.4 percent is gen 5
10 percent is gen 6
11 percent is gen 7

(margin of error ... 2.5 percent)

I've calculated this based on the FIRST TIME a pokemon from a unique line appears. So, for example, even though Roselia has 2 of its line debut in gen 4, I'm counting it as a Gen 3 line. I've EXCLUDED legendaries and fossils from the initial TOTAL unique line statistic, seeing as NO fossils or previous legendaries (save mew) have returned. I've INCLUDED starter lines based solely on the Charmander line appearing (meaning there was "potential" for all other starter lines to return). Percentages are calculated based off this number.

gen 1: 25 /71 (78 w/ leg + fossils) * (35.2 percent)
gen 2: 16 /46 (53 w/ leg) (34.7 percent)
gen 3 : 21 /62 (74 w/ leg+ fossils) (33.8 percent)
gen 4: 12 / 29 (44 w/ leg+ fossils) ** (41.37 percent)
gen 5: 42 / 53 (77 w/ leg + fossils) (79.2 percent)
gen 6: 15 / 30 (38 w/ leg + fossils) (50 percent)
gen 7: 21 / 34 (54 w/ leg) ** (61.7 percent)
TOTAL POSSIBLE UNIQUE LINES (excluding legs + fossils): 152/325 (approx 46.7 percent of potential returning lines have returned)

*mew is technically a legendary but is the only exception to no legendary rule
**counting phione/manaphy and cosmog >>>> solgaleo/lunala as 1 line each

Using data in the previous spoiler, I crunched the # of unique lines by the total unique lines in gen 8. The percentage in the bracket shows the comparative unique line ratio that calculates ALL unique lines per generation against TOTAL unique lines in pokemon that would've been viable for gen 8 (325), to compare if the percentages are about the same.

gen 1: 16.4 percent (21.8 percent)
gen 2: 10.5 percent (14.1 percent)
gen 3: 13.8 percent (19 percent)
gen 4: 7.9 percent (8.9 percent)
gen 5: 27.6 percent (16.3 percent)
gen 6: 12 percent (9.2 percent)
gen 7: 13.8 percent (10.4 percent)

margin of error for...
unique lines by gen vs total unique lines in galar dex - 2.7 percent
potential unique lines by gen vs potential total unique lines viable for galar dex (number in brackets) - 0.3 percent

Conclusions:

to no one's surprise, gen 5 has the most representation.
The PERCENTAGE of gen 5 rep by individual pokemon is nearly double any other two generations combined.
Gen 4 has the least representation, but proportional to gen 4's quirk of more or less being a means to flesh out previous existing lines, the percentage of potential representation (8.9) vs ACTUAL representation (7.9) is comparable. By contrast, gen 5's POTENTIAL (16.3) compared to ACTUAL (27.6) is quite boosted.

Are there other numbers you'd like me to crunch? let me know!
Possibly the less representation of Sinnoh pokémon added to the fact that no mon from Sinnoh has Galarian Form or Gigantamax/Dinamax (Also Garchomp didn't make it :( ) maybe they want to tell us something about a great Sinnoh remake next time! :D

Possibly the less representation of Sinnoh pokémon added to the fact that no mon from Sinnoh has Galarian Form or Gigantamax/Dinamax (Also Garchomp didn't make it :( ) maybe they want to tell us something about a great Sinnoh remake next time! :D
I certainly hope so!

I was pretty stunned at the lack of Sinnoh representation, but the last calc I did was the potentiality of Sinnoh lines being represented if all unique lines were taken into account, and it's actually pretty comparable (out the potentiality of 325 viable lines eligible to return in Galar, 8.9 were from Sinnoh -- what we are actually seeing out of 152 ACTUAL returning lines, 7.9 percent are from Sinnoh) so that actually clears some stuff up. Now i haven't crunched the comparisons of national dexes with each other, but I'm sure that would be an interesting statistic to take into account!

So I am not sure if anyone mentioned this, but why is Melmetal and family not in this dex? Wasn't it supposed to be a new pokemon for 8th gen? Why bring them in just for Lets go and not the new game? I really think there are more pokemon in the game just not shown in the pokedex yet.

EDIT: Greninja'd lol So really I am sure there will be a bunch more pokemon then whats just shown. Plus, we don't know what the post game is right? that normally adds a lot of older pokemon

I've been wondering how each type was affected by Dexit (as in, what percentage of each type's Pokemon are left out). Someone would have to crunch the numbers, but just eyballing it, it looks like Water and Ghost made out great, Fire and Poison not so good, and Normal got absolutely nuked. But like I said, that's just from a quick glance and could be wrong.
Fire: Arcanine, Ninetales, Flareon, Torkoal, Heatmor, Cinderace.
Fire with dual typing: Charizard, Salazzle, Turtonator, Coalossal, Centiskorch.
The dreaded Fire/Fighting type was a blessing for them. On paper they are really not looking so good, but only on paper.

Poison: Garbodor.
Poison with dual typing: Vileplume, Gengar, Galarian Weezing, Drapion, Toxicroak, Skuntank, Toxapex, Salazzle, Toxtricity, Eternatus.
Poison is really impressive in my opinion, nothing to worry about.

Normal: Eevee, Persian, Snorlax, Ditto, Stantler, Cinccino, Type: Null, Silvally, Dubwool.
Normal with dual typing: Noctowl, Unfezant, Braviary, Diggersby, Heliolisk, Bewear, Drampa, Ideedee, Obstagoon.
Respectable lineup I would say. From the three, Fire seems the least impressive, but as I said, only on paper.

So I am not sure if anyone mentioned this, but why is Melmetal and family not in this dex? Wasn't it supposed to be a new pokemon for 8th gen? Why bring them in just for Lets go and not the new game? I really think there are more pokemon in the game just not shown in the pokedex yet.

EDIT: Greninja'd lol So really I am sure there will be a bunch more pokemon then whats just shown. Plus, we don't know what the post game is right? that normally adds a lot of older pokemon
Meltan and Melmetal are apparently considered Gen 7.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
So, uhhhh... I just noticed something a bit odd.

image.jpg

This is the current known Pokemon list. Notice how Voltorb is listed as excluded.

Now, here's the original leaked screenshot of Galarian Farfetch'd:
image.jpg

Notice anything? That's right, Voltorb is clearly standing(?) right there with its back towards the camera.

This leaves us with three options.

1. The Galarian Farfetch'd screenshot is fake.

2. The regional Pokedex leak is fake.

3. There are more Pokemon available beyond the regional dex.

EDIT: It has been pointed out this could just be a ball toy. Please ignore this post.

Last edited:

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So, uhhhh... I just noticed something a bit odd.

View attachment 204051
This is the current known Pokemon list. Notice how Voltorb is listed as excluded.

Now, here's the original leaked screenshot of Galarian Farfetch'd:
View attachment 204052

Notice anything? That's right, Voltorb is clearly standing(?) right there with its back towards the camera.

This leaves us with three options.

1. The Galarian Farfetch'd screenshot is fake.

2. The regional Pokedex leak is fake.

3. There are more Pokemon available beyond the regional dex.
That could also not be voltorb and is instead some kind of toy for Pokemon Camp. We'll have to see.

It's actually a pokeball-colored Jigglypuff seen from above.

Penguin is my new favourite Gen 8 mon. I wonder how the different formes are going to be connected, a unique ability or an outside factor? For some reason they still included Delibird along with it, though this looks more like a real penguin and Delibird is more spiky.

I think the fact that Mew is colored green may not be from the leaker's dex specifically, and just based off the highly probable speculation.

I mean, good. X and Y, while I liked them a lot, clearly lacked content in anticipation of a third version which never came. It's a good sign if these games are intended not to have any third version, because it means they'll out in all of the content that they intend to put in Galar.

It's also nice as an Ubers player noting that Eternatus is probably fully powered right off the bat, as opposed to every gen since 5 where the third legendary has been total garbage in anticipation of later buffs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)