Format Discussion Pokemon Sword & Shield Random Battle Sets

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
at least giving salamence the option to roll dual wingbeat seems like a better option than hurricane for moxie sets, especially given that it gives a very powerful max airstream, with gyarados's bounce as precedent for this reasoning.
Dual Wingbeat on Dragon/Flying types is currently not an option due to how enforcement code works, since Dual Wingbeat and Dragon STAB are both forced. Changes to this enforcement code are being workshopped but likely won't finish soon. Until then, we're stuck with Hurricane.

Just got a Wish, Protect, Swords Dance, Body Slam, Lickilicky. Swords Dance with 1 attack is awful, especially on normal types. If a lickilicky is wish-protect, Swords Dance should be blacklisted imo. If it's Swords Dance it should always have either Earthquake or Knock Off (or both)

pokeblade101

is a Community Contributor
RBTT Champion
remove scarf from kyogre, or remove water spout if it gets scarf

the power level of that thing is straight up dumb and not in line with other mons
We don't nerf pokemon like that and plus it lost significant power with its level decrease and fails to KO things with Water Spout. It's not that powerful.

Just got a Farfetch'd with HDB.

This should simply not happen, the high crit rate is what makes it "alright".

Or at least, give it u-turn or first impression instead of leaf blade.

Last edited:

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
Just got a Farfetch'd with HDB.

This should simply not happen, the high crit rate is what makes it "alright".

Or at least, give it u-turn or first impression instead of leaf blade.
intended. TI decided to remove leek. It gets boots now unless the team has removal. This is very rare. It basically always gets boots. There is currently no plan to change this.

But why, Farfetch'd is already a joke mon that dies to the faintest breeze, giving it HDB does nothing at all for it. Orb and Leek allowed it to get some cheeky OHKOs on targets it couldn't imagine previously.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
Random Battle Lead
But why, Farfetch'd is already a joke mon that dies to the faintest breeze, giving it HDB does nothing at all for it. Orb and Leek allowed it to get some cheeky OHKOs on targets it couldn't imagine previously.
The reason why is because the dev wishes to give it boots to take no rocks damage. There are currently no plans from said dev to revert or adjust this change in the near future. Further ill-mannered complaints in this thread will not change this fact. Any change to the current plans for farfetch'd will be made based on TI's own will and experience, which may or may not change in the near or far future with any evidence or reasoning he comes across in his time playing the format and discussing with high-level players. I am aware many do not like boots farfetch'd. This does not correlate to change being made based on said community distaste. Please understand and continue to be respectful as we try out boots farfetch'd for a while.

Last edited:

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
Can we please have spacial rend on palkia instead of draco meteor? I think posted the same in last gen as well, but we still have draco palkia which is only slightly stronger than spacial rend and only for 1 turn.

Don't have a replay/screenshot of it but currently boots Galvantula can roll a set of thunder/volt/webs/giga drain; imo Bug Buzz over Giga should be chosen with the other 3 moves if possible. Buzz gives better neutral coverage with Thunder while still hitting for decent damage on most grounds anyways, whereas Giga Drain is probably best left as a fourth option on specs sets.

I'd like to suggest for implementing Magneton with Magnet Rise.

Magnezone right now doesn't run Magnet Rise, and even if it was added, it would not make good sets because its too slow. And actually, this is a issue that it have, as a considerable amount of mons it can trap can also carry EQ, which limit its potential as a trapper; as another issue, Magnezone is setup bait for many of the bulky ground mons as it is slower than some of these, and Choice sets using Tbolt/Volt Switch on switch-in will become bait as well. Same can be said for bulky rock mons, which can benefit from 1.5x SpD from sandstorm, which makes Tbolt non-threatening and Flash Cannon a 2hko or 3hko, while also force Magnezone out due to most carrying EQ.

Magneton with Eviolite wouldn't have such issues. From attacking perspective, it has 120 base SpAtk vs 130 base SpAtk from Magnezone, so it deals almost same damage as AV Zone. Eviolite makes it more bulky on physical defense than AV Zone On special defense, it takes more damage than AV Zone.

Assuming Magneton and Magnezone would have same level on randbats, here a list of the steel mons Magneton would outspeed, but Zone wouldn't.
Heatran (carry Earth Power)
Metagross (carry EQ)
Sandslash-Alola (carry EQ)
Bisharp
Corviknight (carry Roost)
Scizor (carry Superpower)
Skarmory (carry Roost)

Assuming same levels, here a list of notable mons that Magneton outspeeds but Zone doesn't (relevant as it allows Ton to Magnet Rise and most lack a way to significantly deal damage vs Magneton without ground).
Armaldo (carry EQ)
Barbaracle (carry EQ)
Dracovish* (ties at 170 speed, which halves Fishious Rend BP)
Dracozolt* (ties at 170 speed, carry EQ)
Dragonite* (ties at 170 speed, carry EQ)
Hitmontop* (ties at 170 speed, carry EQ)
Mantine* (ties at 170 speed, carry Defog)
Metagross (carry EQ)
Poliwrath* (ties at 170 speed, carry CC)
Sandslash (carry EQ)
Tyrantrum (carry EQ)
Volcanion (carry Fire Blast)
Wailord (cannot Water Spout)
Whiscash (carry EQ)

List of notable mons that level 86 Magneton would not outspeed, but are 170-175 speed, so that it could outspeed with level 88-89.
Buzzwole (173 speed, carry CC)
Diggersby (173 speed, carry EQ)
Gyarados (171 speed, carry EQ)
Glalie (174 speed, carry EQ)
Ho-Oh (172 speed, carry EQ)
Lunatone (173 speed, carry EP)
Sandaconda (171 speed, carry EQ)
Solrock (173 speed, carry EQ)
Stonjourner (173 speed, carry EQ)

EDIT: There are two extra facts that corroborate my line of thinking. One is the fact that Magnezone is candidate for Choice Scarf, to outspeed foes that it normally doesn't ; the extra speed from Magneton could be enough, as shown above. The second is the fact that people have been seriously suggesting Analytic Magnezone ; it fails so much as a trapper that getting 1.3x power boost from Analytic is being considered as better ability than trapping.

Last edited:
How about zygarde complete with resto chesto dd and the 2 stabs at the cost of leaving out substitute. Zygarde is still very week at +2 and thats the max u will be able to reach in most cases with the current set. Rest will not only give it more longetivity, it will still be able to cure status and you will be able to get in that additional setup important for picking kills. Yes u will have to deal with confusion but this set has more sweeping potential imo. plus u wont be clicking outrage anyway unless u totally have to because of the fairies so the confusion is managable.

My another suggestion is grimmsnarl gmax with rest talk and lefties with bulk up and darkest lariatt. This will enable grimmsnarl to have priority in its attacks while resting and solves the current problem of being revenge killed by a faster special attacker. This comes at the cost of play rough but this has higher sweeping potential by the logic that a resisted stab will steal deal enough with enough boosts.

I would also like to suggest analytic magnezone on the av set. I know magnezone is all about magnet pull but most steel types have coverage for magnezone. The thing going for analytic is that magnezone forces switches like crazy and is quite slow too. So why not use that to its advantage with its ability.

And finally I suggest kings rock cloyster on teams with hazard removal. Cloyster has a bad defensive typing and is not very bulky either and in most likelihood will not live the second hit. Hence the white herb in most cases does not do much. Kings rock combined with skill link will give a very nice flinch rate to pick off the few mons who actually live a hit.

These are my suggestions. Pls look into them tell me what you think. Your response will be highly appreciated

Last edited:

pokeblade101

RBTT Champion
How about zygarde complete with resto chesto dd and the 2 stabs at the cost of leaving out substitute. Zygarde is still very week at +2 and thats the max u will be able to reach in most cases with the current set. Rest will not only give it more longetivity, it will still be able to cure status and you will be able to get in that additional setup important for picking kills. Yes u will have to deal with confusion but this set has more sweeping potential imo. plus u wont be clicking outrage anyway unless u totally have to because of the fairies so the confusion is managable.
Imo I would much rather both. Substitute is great to stall dmax while also avoiding status while also using its bulk to set up more easily. I can see how good rest can be especially to keep it from getting chipped. Moltres also pulls both of these moves off so adding Rest without removing sub would be cool.

My another suggestion is grimmsnarl gmax with rest talk and lefties with bulk up and darkest lariatt. This will enable grimmsnarl to have priority in its attacks while resting and solves the current problem of being revenge killed by a faster special attacker. This comes at the cost of play rough but this has higher sweeping potential by the logic that a resisted stab will steal deal enough with enough boosts.
I think it had rest talk before but it was limiting its moveset but I still like the idea of prankster rest talk but it can be sometimes easily dealt with as it has only one STAB.

I would also like to suggest analytic magnezone on the av set. I know magnezone is all about magnet pull but most steel types have coverage for magnezone. The thing going for analytic is that magnezone forces switches like crazy and is quite slow too. So why not use that to its advantage with its ability.
I am 100% for this, most steels have a move for it and it loses to a lot of them already. It can still be used for corviknight and skarmory but analytic would be better imo.

And finally I suggest kings rock cloyster on teams with hazard removal. Cloyster has a bad defensive typing and is not very bulky either and in most likelihood will not live the second hit. Hence the white herb in most cases does not do much. Kings rock combined with skill link will give a very nice flinch rate to pick off the few mons who actually live a hit.
I don't like this only because this sounds rage inducing lol.

Grassy glideless rillaboom with choice band is a disaster of a set. Choice band + grassy glide is an extremely powerful combo that can revenge kill and punish mons for gaining speed who are fragile and will take serious damage from a CB grassy glide in grass terrain. While choice band on a slow grass monster is easily out-sped by many mons and although it packs a punch the monster might be dead before it lands a hit. In addition a slow u-turn on a grass monster is just asking for rillaboom to be a sac of a mon when instead it can be a great threat on your team.

peap

asleep
is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributor
RBTT Champion
Grassy glideless rillaboom with choice band is a disaster of a set. Choice band + grassy glide is an extremely powerful combo that can revenge kill and punish mons for gaining speed who are fragile and will take serious damage from a CB grassy glide in grass terrain. While choice band on a slow grass monster is easily out-sped by many mons and although it packs a punch the monster might be dead before it lands a hit. In addition a slow u-turn on a grass monster is just asking for rillaboom to be a sac of a mon when instead it can be a great threat on your team.
Agree that Band Rilla wants Grassy Glide, it's just an incredible anti-offense and revenge killing move. Unfortunately Glide isn't guaranteed like the Quick Attack CB Terrakion currently in rands, because it has more than four attacks. Any way to have a 'pick one' of High Horsepower/Knock/U-turn or would this need to be hardcoded?

Agree that Band Rilla wants Grassy Glide, it's just an incredible anti-offense and revenge killing move. Unfortunately Glide isn't guaranteed like the Quick Attack CB Terrakion currently in rands, because it has more than four attacks. Any way to have a 'pick one' of High Horsepower/Knock/U-turn or would this need to be hardcoded?
Yes. Will make Rillaboom roll Grassy Glide all the time.

Came here to talk about Mence too. I genuinely don't have a problem with Defog, particularly because the bulky set with HDB and Intimidate is fantastic support. But the chance to roll Outrage in a set like this is worthless, not only does it hit like a wet noddle, it also risks running into hidden fairy types and steel types. I know that not using the higher stat may seem like anathema in random battles, but Draco Meteor is genuinely superior as an attacking move in non-Dragon Dance sets. So if something like "If Dragon Dance yes = Outrage yes = Earthquake" and "If not Dragon Dance = Fire Blast/Draco Meteor" could be coded it could be amazing. That or get rid of Defog and HDB in favor of Dragon Dance and Life Orb, as it stands the current Mence sets either have a chance to be game-winning conditions or barely dead-weight.

pokeblade101

RBTT Champion
"If Dragon Dance yes = Outrage yes = Earthquake" and "If not Dragon Dance = Fire Blast/Draco Meteor"
This is gonna cause terrible sets and also deletes a lot of sets like Draco Meteor Regidrago will cease to exist. What will happen to scarf haxorus? Giratina?

I do agree that Defog Salamence should be special though and also get rid of Moxie appearing on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)