Format Discussion Pokemon Sword & Shield Random Battle Sets

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Sometimes I get pokemons that are special attackers but have some EVs or some physical movement and vice versa.
What? You'll have to be more clear on this; we don't know what you want with this little information! Also, be aware that all Pokemon in Random Battles have 84 EVs in every stat, except when they have no physical attacks (when they'll have 0 Attack EVs), or when they have Gyro Ball or Trick Room (when they'll have 0 Speed EVs).

I just said it for sometimes special or physical movements appear in pokemon that should not
Can you explain in more detail what the issue is? What Pokemon have moves that you think they shouldn’t have, and what moves are they? I don’t know what you’re asking, but if you’re asking about mixed attackers, some Pokemon do sometimes like physical and special moves (e.g. Guzzlord and Regidrago’s AV sets and Nidoking with Superpower).

It is that when I played Random battle pokemons appeared to me that was in something specific but they put another, what I remember that I had played a cobalion with the same attack and special attack and the cobalion had sword dance and physical attacks but had the Atk and Spa the same and their nature could be any that has lowered the Defense, Special Defense or speed.

So, like A Cake Wearing A Hat said, (almost) every Pokemon in Randbats has 84 EVs in each stat and a neutral nature, like Serious or Hardy. The only exceptions are special attackers, which have minimum Attack to reduce Foul Play damage, and Trick Room/Gyro Ball users, which have minimum speed. This is true even if a Pokemon is a special or physical sweeper, like SD Cobalion. Cobalion isn’t a special attacker or TR/GB user, so it has the standard EVs and nature, and since its base Attack and SpAtt are both 90, they are the same before a Swords Dance. There’s nothing wrong here.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
It is that when I played Random battle pokemons appeared to me that was in something specific but they put another, what I remember that I had played a cobalion with the same attack and special attack and the cobalion had sword dance and physical attacks but had the Atk and Spa the same and their nature could be any that has lowered the Defense, Special Defense or speed.
So this was answered here.
What? You'll have to be more clear on this; we don't know what you want with this little information! Also, be aware that all Pokemon in Random Battles have 84 EVs in every stat, except when they have no physical attacks (when they'll have 0 Attack EVs), or when they have Gyro Ball or Trick Room (when they'll have 0 Speed EVs).
EVs modify the stats of Pokémon. In randbats this is averaged out because optimal EVs are tailored to the metagame that Pokémon exist in. In the name of having each Pokémon behave fairly authentically, their stats remain close to their base stats. Cobalion has the same Attack and Special Attack stats (both base 90!) so the stats are the same in random battles too.

The nature is always neutral, such as Serious.

Dorron

BLU LOBSTAH
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Champion
As Naganadel almost always has NP + 3 moves, which I think it should be its only set (I think it also has 4 attacks with Air Slash), what about giving it a spread that boosts its Speed? With a NP boost and a KO it would be much more difficult to deal with rather than just SpA boosts. Air Slash should be removed then as it is only used to boost your Speed when Dynamaxed.

It would require just 32 EVs in SpA, and not the conventional 84 EVs for RBs.

pokeblade101

RBTT Champion
As Naganadel almost always has NP + 3 moves, which I think it should be its only set (I think it also has 4 attacks with Air Slash), what about giving it a spread that boosts its Speed? With a NP boost and a KO it would be much more difficult to deal with rather than just SpA boosts. Air Slash should be removed then as it is only used to boost your Speed when Dynamaxed.

It would require just 32 EVs in SpA, and not the conventional 84 EVs for RBs.
Also this has been basically rejected. This requires 10 points in Sp Atk to drop and that can be pretty significant in the grand scheme of things. I also asked the room about this and most said they would prefer Sp Atk boosts over Speed (not really an indicator of anything though). Not opposed to Air Slash going tbh.

Sorry if this was talked about recently, but lately I've found hazards are extremely strong right now, despite HDB, and hazard removal is quite rare in comparison. I think it would make Randbats more fun to play if it were easier to get hazard removal. For example, Pokemon like Torkoal, Claydol, and Mandibuzz should have Rapid Spin/Defog forced on them if possible imo, though there should be exceptions to forcing (like Corviknight ought to keep both BU and Defog sets). Also, speaking of Corviknight, can its Defog set get U-Turn?

pokeblade101

RBTT Champion
Sorry if this was talked about recently, but lately I've found hazards are extremely strong right now, despite HDB, and hazard removal is quite rare in comparison. I think it would make Randbats more fun to play if it were easier to get hazard removal. For example, Pokemon like Torkoal, Claydol, and Mandibuzz should have Rapid Spin/Defog forced on them if possible imo, though there should be exceptions to forcing (like Corviknight ought to keep both BU and Defog sets). Also, speaking of Corviknight, can its Defog set get U-Turn?
The reason forcing removal on some pokemon isn't a thing is because it causes some problems with sets. If Defog was forced onto Mandibuzz, it will have one set repeated frequently. Torkoal works but it doesn't get Rapid Spin quite rarely already and Claydol could technically work but not sure if it is worth it. Looking at it, having Rapin Spin or Defog forced on some mons would make other sets just disappear.

As for Corviknight, adding U-turn makes Roost, Brave Bird, Body Press, U-turn a thing, which isn't Defogging or setting up anything.

I agree with him tho. It is true that hazard stacking has gotten far stronger with the latter updates, while hazard removal is becoming relatively rare. Yes, it would make some sets disappear, but the trade-off would be much better and these mons would stand out more from other relatively similar mons. You can't tell how many times I was screwed by Toxic Spikes and wishing the Hitmontop/Avalugg/Starmie that were on my team had Rapid Spin to remove them. It has become a common occurence lately.

All in all, there's 30-40ish hazard control Pokémon in our entire format - not counting stuff like Magic Bounce mons. The more additions to the format we get, the lesser the chance to get one of those in our team. Hazards are pretty much universal in the format -almost every mon with stealth rock gets the move.

queso

too cheesy
is a Tiering Contributor
1620623380373.png

this mence set is super awkward– theres no good ways of punishing fliers without doubling or clicking outrage which is very likely to lose you the mence. is there some way to force dual wingbeat on it?

We are not going to force removal on Pokemon for the sake of it. Hazards are almost always good to have and that is why Pokemon have it, but removal is not always good to have, that's the difference. We can look at ways to increase the chance of removal appearing but we won't be forcing removal.
Fair, that makes sense, I do remember times where removal was useless for me (4x HDB lol) but yep that's way less true of hazards. Thanks for the reply!

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
View attachment 339298
this mence set is super awkward– theres no good ways of punishing fliers without doubling or clicking outrage which is very likely to lose you the mence. is there some way to force dual wingbeat on it?
used to happen, at the expense of outrage. this was reverted after discussion by a strong majority because dual wingbeat is weak and outrageless mence loses to mons like palkia. now outrage is forced and wingbeat isn't. this is how it'll stay.

We are not going to force removal on Pokemon for the sake of it. Hazards are almost always good to have and that is why Pokemon have it, but removal is not always good to have, that's the difference. We can look at ways to increase the chance of removal appearing but we won't be forcing removal.
Fair, increasing the possibilities while reducing redundant moves is a viable option.

Hi, I can't find a thread for suggestions. But I suggest randbats blitz. Its for fast games just like the way OU made a blitz ladder. Avoids griefers, and long games.

used to happen, at the expense of outrage. this was reverted after discussion by a strong majority because dual wingbeat is weak and outrageless mence loses to mons like palkia. now outrage is forced and wingbeat isn't. this is how it'll stay.
y not just remove defog salamence its level is so low because of its non defog set. Its level is skewed so low that if you get its defog set its just underwhelming.

i think celebi should get the option for aura sphere on certain sets (nasty plot or scarf) over earth power to hit things like ferrothorn and dark types super effectively, you lose out on 10 power but still hit steels effectively and also can hit things like celesteela for neutral which earth power otherwise wouldn't

pokeblade101

RBTT Champion
i think celebi should get the option for aura sphere on certain sets (nasty plot or scarf) over earth power to hit things like ferrothorn and dark types super effectively, you lose out on 10 power but still hit steels effectively and also can hit things like celesteela for neutral which earth power otherwise wouldn't
Hmm well, there are some issues with this:

1) You have a plethora of new mons that eat Celebi's attacks like Necrozma-Dusk-Mane Jirachi, Solgaleo, Victini, Aegislash, Skuntank, Magearna, Drapion, Metagross, Zacian-C etc.

2) Aura Sphere has no benefits in Dynamax besides becoming as strong as Earth Power (90 BP) and it actually makes you more vulnerable to Foul Play (I doubt this will be that common) while Earth Power is much stronger and gives a Sp. Def boost.

3) As you mentioned it is weaker, meaning Pokemon it hits neutrally that resists its other stabs take nothing.

This isn't all but the ones I'll point out. There are benefits in having it as it hits Pokemon like Bronzong, Yveltal, Moltres-G better but imo the Strengths of Earth Power outweigh Aura Sphere.

Tarrembeau

le moi est incommunicable
Hi everyone, do you think piloswine could be a nice addition to gen8 randbats ? Bulky ice/ground with stealth rock and ice shard, strong stabs in earthquake and icicle crash, rock slide for coverage, toxic as a utility move.
Its eviolite bulk would differentiate it from mamoswine, which could maybe stop running stealth rock and use more of its offensive capabilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)