SPOILERS! Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon News & Discussion MK2 **Official Media Only**

It's quite possible that S/M will be patched to be compatible with the new UBs, maybe even the Necrozma forms, but still pretty unlikely of anything else.
p.s.: Bank support will likely be available very shortly after release, remember they announced a downtime very close to USUM release for updates.

It's quite possible that S/M will be patched to be compatible with the new UBs, maybe even the Necrozma forms, but still pretty unlikely of anything else.
p.s.: Bank support will likely be available very shortly after release, remember they announced a downtime very close to USUM release for updates.
I recall people saying that X/Y would be patched so it could be compatible with ORAS but that didn't happen. They almost never update older games to make them compatible with newer ones so I doubt it'll happen here.

Well at this point, even without my theory, with them showing that gen 1-3 starters are available via Island scan, they have actually revealed every single mega available in game, outside of Audino, Beedrill and Diancie I believe.
Have they shown anything from the ralts or pidgey lines at all, yet? I've probably missed several instances of reveals of old pokémon that are new to Alola, partly because I haven't memorized the full list of three hundred plus island scan pokémon that were available in Sun and Moon, so I don't always know what's new or not. Is there a list of 'confirmed' megas anywhere?

I doubt that Diancie itself will be available in-game, but if all of the other mega stones are present, I could definitely see Diancite being available in the shop, or at least hidden with an NPC. It should also be noted that since these are the last Gen VII games, we'll probably see access to every pokémon that wasn't available in Sun and Moon anyway. Regardless of the improvements they seem to have given to the legendary encounters over the ones in ORAS, the Ultra Wormhole travel method is not unlike the Mirage Islands, so we might get some non-Alolan Dex pokémon there, as well. I just really want to see the other five hundred dark and grisley dex entries.

It's occurred to me that the argument that the statement that what they are doing with multiple generational call backs are a reference to the twentieth anniversary may be on the right track, but incorrect. The next main series games will be on the Switch, with the implication being that the future of the series will follow the Switch and it's successors. I think, with Rainbow Rocket especially, that they're giving an homage to the end of the handheld era for the main series Pokémon games. Whether Pokémon returns to a purely handheld format or not, with the Switch game, they can no longer say that they are a purely 'handheld' franchise - as far as Game Freak's production history is concerned, anyway.

This may very well be why they decided to use the original Maxie and Archie, rather than the versions that actually exist within the current universe, and it may mean that this Cyrus is not the Cyrus who disappeared in Distortion World. This is purely speculation, but it may be possible that they're using the original incarnations of these bosses - particularly Ruby and Sapphire's Maxie and Archie, and Diamond and Pearl's Cyrus, over their Emerald and Platinum incarnations, respectively. This would hold up with their "20 Years of Villainy", because it plays into the major landmarks of the franchise's timeline. Either way, though, I'm looking forward to seeing Maxie and Archie's interactions with each other. They might be 'allies' here, but they're diametrically opposed and arch rivals elsewhere.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Whoa, a lot of info just revealed! Gotta collect my thoughts together:

Legendary Hunt - USUM Edition:
ALL. THE. LEGENDARIES! You know what that means, right?... We can catch them in Apricorn Poke Balls! *squeals*
Okay, joking aside (well, for most of us, I'm sure some are excited about catching Cresselia in a Moon Ball), I guess they figured since it's the generation of the 20th Anniversary, the ORAS Legendary Hunt was a popular feature, and it's the last game on a Nintendo console that's solely a handheld they'll do a full Legendary Hunt (minus Deoxys, so I guess its back to being considered a Mythical).
Glad to see that, like the Ultra Beasts, the Legendaries are getting locations based on environments where you would find them. They don't tell you how you'll get there, gotta save something for the actual game I guess, but hopefully there's no timed ones like in ORAS.
Of course there's version exclusives and overall I'm liking the ones in Ultra Moon. Would prefer Dialga over Palkia and Latios over Latias but I've got extra of them anyway so it's no big deal. And it's cute how they made the Legendary Beasts version exclusive and you need Raikou & Entei to get Suicune, small nod to Crystal appreciated. Odd Regigigas is one, you'd think it would be one of the special Pokemon that needed the Golem Trio. Surprised it's not Cresselia, MAYBE hinting my prediction of Darkrai the nexy Mythical to become available in-game being right?

(1463, why exactly that number? And this isn't a imperial/metric thing, they're using light-years (an astronomical unit))

Battle Agency:
Rental Pokemon are back, but seemingly not in the same way as the Battle Factory? The wording is very vague, it says "The Pokemon you can rent for these battles will increase as you mingle with other players around you or over the internet". So does that mean before entering you'll get better rental options or as you battle through you can swap Pokemon like in the Battle Factory? Though eitherway it hints at online functionality (maybe multiplayer?) which is neat, it was a shame previous Battle Facilities didn't it. There's also a grading system which I guess is how you unlock better rentals without getting them off others.

(Wow, Legendaries are so common now they're being given out as rentals...)

Totem Stickers:
So they're finally letting us get our hands on the Totem Pokemon... the most uninteresting part about them. Ooh, you increases the size of the model (which is funny they're treating like a big deal because how many Pokemon sizes are off model?). When people said they wanted the Totem Pokemon they also wanted the aura (and maybe the stat buffs too). But eh, I'll still get them. Free Special Pokemon just for collecting stickers.
Hmm, Salazzle is an Ultra Moon exclusive one. Maybe if I get it I'll use it on my team, speaking of which I don't want to pick Litten again so I got to decide on either Rowlet or Popplio as my Ultra Moon starter...

(Well it's not much but at least it's a small distraction from just collecting Zygarde Cells and Cores)

Island Scan:
Nothing major, just adding in more Pokemon like the Kanto and Hoenn Starters (because Mega Evolutions). Though they also mentioned Greninja. Now I'm sure they just mean a normal Greninja you can breed, though I wonder if they would do something like having a rare chance of it being an Ash-Greninja.

(Normal or Ash-Greninja? Only one way to find out: You can take em', Alolan Marowak!)

And I'll be right back, saving my best thoughts for last: Team Rainbow Rocket!

Battle Agency:
Rental Pokemon are back, but seemingly not in the same way as the Battle Factory? The wording is very vague, it says "The Pokemon you can rent for these battles will increase as you mingle with other players around you or over the internet". So does that mean before entering you'll get better rental options or as you battle through you can swap Pokemon like in the Battle Factory? Though eitherway it hints at online functionality (maybe multiplayer?) which is neat, it was a shame previous Battle Facilities didn't it. There's also a grading system which I guess is how you unlock better rentals without getting them off others.
Unless... the Pokemon you can rent can be from opponents you battle against online. Would be pretty neat but I find it unlikely. The odd wording does not help matters.

BTW, now that I think of it... with Team Rainbow Rocket Pokemon now has its own Legion of Doom. With Giovanni taking Lex Luthor's place, I presume.

Last edited:
Island Scan:
Nothing major, just adding in more Pokemon like the Kanto and Hoenn Starters (because Mega Evolutions). Though they also mentioned Greninja. Now I'm sure they just mean a normal Greninja you can breed, though I wonder if they would do something like having a rare chance of it being an Ash-Greninja.

(Normal or Ash-Greninja? Only one way to find out: You can take em', Alolan Marowak!)
Considering they went as far as specifying that Ash-Greninja is banned from VGC 2018, I see no reason to have Ash-Greninja available in game outside of gift from S/M demo.
In same fashion as Dusk Lycanroc, it's an event only poke, and should likely stay like that.

Whoa, a lot of info just revealed! Gotta collect my thoughts together:

(1463, why exactly that number? And this isn't a imperial/metric thing, they're using light-years (an astronomical unit))
The irony here is that 1463 light years isn't even that far for stellar distances. We didn't travel to another dimension, we traveled to a nearby star. oh well using real world logic is useless. GF probably just used this phrase because it sounds cool to a kid.

Also, do people think the battle tree will return as well? It seems vague to me and I never played the original battle factory.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
The irony here is that 1463 light years isn't even that far for stellar distances. We didn't travel to another dimension, we traveled to a nearby star. GF probably just used this phrase because it sounds cool to a kid.

Also, do people think the battle tree will return as well? It seems vague to me and I never played the original battle factory.
If historical precedent says anything it's that it will likely return. Look at dp & platinum, bw and bw2 and then even xy & oras, the battle facility in the first was still present in the second.

Pikachu315111 Hadn’t considered Moon Duck in a Moon Ball. I figured they felt like Cress was a bit too valuable in vgc to put into a single game... but Mr. Calrissian has kinda overtaken her in terms of Ubiquity... and he requires a ‘mon from both versions to obtain first. Also Battle Agency does appear to be in the Festival Plaza, so it having an online function does not surprise me. Man I hope you can get outfits and a battle intro from it.

And yeah, Ash Greninja being banned does make it unlikely we’ll see it in the wild in USUM... but seriously, what about Dusk Lycanroc, which requires a specific ability on top of the time requirement...

Also: It would be hilarious if you go through an Ultra Wormhole... and find Brock on the other side since they are all likely Lightyears away.

Ropalme1914

Ace Poker Player
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
So, I was thinking about Zygarde. It shows among the other legends that it will be in the game, however, differently from the other third member of the trios, you don't need Xerneas and Yveltal to catch it. Also, Zygarde is the only legendary that does not appear in that dimension stage when it shows up in the trailer like the other legendaries, but instead in a cave. Does that means that Zygarde will appear in another way, like collecting cells again? Will you battle against it? And the thing that I'm most curious: will it be part of the story, like SM implied that it was in Alola due to sensing some evil thing there (probably Necrozma)?

I would be pretty happy if to begin with they remove the whole Core collecting thing. It was both excessively tedious and just..... there, for no reason.

So, I was thinking about Zygarde. It shows among the other legends that it will be in the game, however, differently from the other third member of the trios, you don't need Xerneas and Yveltal to catch it. Also, Zygarde is the only legendary that does not appear in that dimension stage when it shows up in the trailer like the other legendaries, but instead in a cave. Does that means that Zygarde will appear in another way, like collecting cells again? Will you battle against it? And the thing that I'm most curious: will it be part of the story, like SM implied that it was in Alola due to sensing some evil thing there (probably Necrozma)?
On that matter there's Absol as well. Will something happen in Mount Lanakila or Tapu Village this time?

Alongside the fact that Absol gather where a disaster is about to happen, in BW there were wild Absol in the Giant Chasm even though all that happened there was catching Kyurem. Then BW2 happened and the final parts of the Team Plasma plot took place there.

Well it's just speculating, but the place where Guzzlord appears in one of the trailers does suspiciously look like the Tapu Village...

Would make sense for it to appear in Resolution Cave, given the identical layout to Terminus cave and the apparent fact that we'll be hunting down ultra beasts in their own dimensions this time around.

Mythical and Legendary Pokémon have been the same for years, and years, and years... there's no reason to be strict about it.
No, they were never the same. The distinction has existed since Generation I - Pokemon that can only be obtained through events.

The word "Mythical" originated later, but that's as much as a term for legendaries that are not banned in VGC (Silvally, Tapus, Genies...) not being officially made, but the distinction exists (as proven by RotomDex).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Team Rainbow Rocket:
A lot has already been said, so I'll just jump to some things I observed and my thoughts.
First, the question whether this is post game. If it is, which I think it is, then they made a major change to the end of the game: Lillie (and Lusamine) don't leave. In addition to Lillie being with the player as they raid Rainbow Rocket's base there's also a scene with the player, Lillie, Lusamine, and Guzma at the Alter. Kind of looks like the scene after rescuing Lusamine and Guzma from Ultra Space, but Lusamine looks perfectly fine. So, does Lusamine never fuse with Nihilego to become the Mother Beast in USUM?

Looks like they also take over the castle in Festival Plaza. So there's two locations involved here though it seems everything takes place in one, the Aether Paradise mansion. Maybe both buildings were connected and in order to get into the Aether Paradise mansion you have to enter through the Festival Plaza castle?

So, guess it's time to actually talk about the main stars of this rainbow: the previous villain team bosses (plus Faba if the poster is anything to go by). Already those who played ORAS would notice something different: the Maxie and Archie are the ones from Ruby & Sapphire. In addition, Ghetsis is in his original Black & White sage robes. Not a surprise, they were brought over from an alternate dimension, but this asks the question "when"? The leaks said they were from dimensions where they succeeded... but I'm having doubts about that. Instead I think Giovanni pulled them from the middle of their respective game's story. Makes sense, since they hadn't succeeded in their plans Giovanni could get them to work for him by promising to use the Ultra Wormholes to give them additional resources, members, etc. (if they had succeeded in their plans either they wouldn't join or want to join as equals to Giovanni). Also this is probably where they'd be the most convincible: at the end of their games Maxie and Archie learned the errors of their way, Cyrus and Ghetsis had nervous breakdowns making them irrational wrecks, and Lysandre is crushed under rubble either dead or also an irrational wreck from his plans failing. But what about Giovanni? Is he the Giovanni of USUM or an alternate dimension Giovanni? The website seems to indicate this Giovanni had been defeated by Red so at the very least he's not an alternate Giovanni from Gen I.

Well, whatever the case, an interesting case about them is each only has five Pokemon when you battle them:

Maxie & Archie: In Gen III their final teams were only three Pokemon: A Mightyena, a Crobat, and then their signature Pokemon Camerupt/Sharpedo. ORAS brought that number up to four by giving a Weezing to Maxie and a Muk to Archie (also giving their signature Pokemon Mega Evolutions). Assuming they gave them Weezing and Muk, than what's their fifth Pokemon? Also, would they give them their signature Pokemon's Mega Evolution? That's pretty much the dividing factor between RSE and ORAS versions of them and maybe they would want to keep that distinction. Instead they could use Z-Moves. Then again there's nothing from stopping them to using both Z-Moves and Mega Evolutions, having the new fifth Pokemon being a Torkoal for Maxie and Wailord for Archie holding the Z-Move. "What about Groudon and Kyogre"? I'll get to that.
Cyrus: Had five Pokemon in Platinum so is good. Question here is if they'd make one a Mega. The trailer specifically showed him using his Houndoom... BUT it was it using Dark Pulse and it wasn't Mega Evolved. His only other Pokemon that can Mega Evolve is Gyarados and that's Lysandre's. So maybe this is a hint they won't give pre-Gen VI villains Mega Evolutions as not to mess with their signature mon (Z-Moves would still be okay).
Ghetsis: Now Ghetsis had a full team of six, so he's losing one and it's definitely not his Hydreigon. Assuming he's using his Black & White team, maybe his Bouffalant since its a Norma-type thus doesn't really bring anything to the table his other Pokemon couldn't do. Also all of Ghetsis Pokemon can't Mega Evolve so another case for no non-Gen VI boss getting Mega Evolutions?
Lysandre: Lysandre only had four Pokemon at most though the question isn't whether he'll get a Mega... since we saw his Mega Gyarados in the trailer. So what's his fifth Pokemon and would he use a Z-Move?
Faba: Let's not forget he's on the poster with the villain. Course since we didn't see him in the trailer or on the site we don't know his exact role. Though he has five Pokemon anyway and two can Mega Evolve if they want him to have one.
Giovanni: I could talk about Giovanni's team but let's get to the one everyone is focusing on: he now has a Mewtwo (guess there was a Ultra Wormhole that showed him the first Pokemon movie). And not just that, a Mewtwo that can Mega Evolve to Mega Mewtwo Y. This is why I don't think any of the other villain bosses have Legendaries even if it would fit them, why would Giovanni give them a Legendary and putting them on equal footing as him? As long as he has a Mewtwo and they don't have a Legendary, Giovanni is boss.

Let's go back to the poster for a second. Actually, let's go back further to a photo taken of Junichi Masuda with giant menu sprite cutouts of the villain team bosses signature Pokemon. One of them was Golisopod, Guzma's. Everyone thought he would be recruited... BUT flash forward to today and we discover that photo had a few red herrings in it. Guzma is actually helping the player, a funny part in the trailer shows him holding apart two Rocket Grunts as Maxie and Archie leave him and the player.
Overall the post is odd. Like instead of showing Guzma and Sophocles Pokemon they only show what looks to be the player's party (which is odd for them to assume, though it is a pretty balanced team). Lillie is absent though we saw she's involved, and Wicke is on the poster. It just seems strange to me.

That's all I really got to say. I'll read through other's comments and respond if I see anything else I want to add on.

Let's see, any final notes... oh, yeah, odd reveal in the trailer. We get to see the eyes of the Ultra Recon Squad!... They look completely normal. "Well, what were you expecting"? I don't know, it's just seems like if they did any surprising design with these characters it would be giving them alien eyes.

Team Rainbow Rocket:
But what about Giovanni? Is he the Giovanni of USUM or an alternate dimension Giovanni? The website seems to indicate this Giovanni had been defeated by Red so at the very least he's not an alternate Giovanni from Gen I.
I'll quickly mention this:

Firstly, remember Pokemon Generations series covered the actual games, not the anime. There's no Ash or Jesse and James.

Giovanni in the episode of Pokemon Generation, after being defeated by Red and Blue, states to his son that he will go away, train and form a stronger and more powerful evil organization that will not fail this time.
His son never got to see him again since then.

Suddently in USUM, Giovanni reappears with a insanely powerful organization capable of traveling through dimensions and having managed to successfully capture/create/enslave/something Mewtwo (plus who knows, the other legendaryes for the team leaders?)

...it adds up pretty well doesn't it?

I wonder if this Team Rainbow Rocket will also include Admins for each of these major villains.

We have the four Team Rocket Admins of HGSS, two Admins for both Aqua and Magma, the four Galactic Commanders, the other six Team Plasma Sages (these two would depend on when do Cyrus and Ghetsis come from), ??? (never played X/Y so I have no idea how many admins Lysandre had) and... I guess no one for Faba.

That would be too many admins so I guess we either will only see the first four (as it's based on Team Rocket after all) or everyone will take the place Admins used to take.

Let's go back to the poster for a second. Actually, let's go back further to a photo taken of Junichi Masuda with giant menu sprite cutouts of the villain team bosses signature Pokemon. One of them was Golisopod, Guzma's. Everyone thought he would be recruited... BUT flash forward to today and we discover that photo had a few red herrings in it. Guzma is actually helping the player, a funny part in the trailer shows him holding apart two Rocket Grunts as Maxie and Archie leave him and the player.
Since the villainous team all come from different dimensions, it theoretically wouldn't be impossible for there to be two Guzmas, one on the good side and one on the bad side. Granted, the chances of that happening are really low but it would still be pretty amazing if it happened.

I wonder if this Team Rainbow Rocket will also include Admins for each of these major villains.

We have the four Team Rocket Admins of HGSS, two Admins for both Aqua and Magma, the four Galactic Commanders, the other six Team Plasma Sages (these two would depend on when do Cyrus and Ghetsis come from), ??? (never played X/Y so I have no idea how many admins Lysandre had) and... I guess no one for Faba.

That would be too many admins so I guess we either will only see the first four (as it's based on Team Rocket after all) or everyone will take the place Admins used to take.
Much like the travelling companions in XY, the 3 or 4 scientist ladies were pretty forgettable. There were a few nameless admins in white outfits though.

Since the villainous team all come from different dimensions, it theoretically wouldn't be impossible for there to be two Guzmas, one on the good side and one on the bad side. Granted, the chances of that happening are really low but it would still be pretty amazing if it happened.
I want to see Two different Guzmas meet each other. I would pay Cashmoney for that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)