Challenge Pokemon without throwing Pokeballs (Failed: Save File corrupt)

Welcome to Pokemon without throwing Pokeballs! The challenge is exactly as the title suggests: don't throw Pokeballs in any way. Pokemon obtained in any other matter can be used. (Yes these rules extend to HM slaves. I think it makes the runs more interesting that way) Here in Pokemon Yellow, I have a few ways to obtain Pokemon without Pokeballs:
  • Pikachu (Starter Pokemon)
  • Bulbasaur (Cerulean City)
  • Charmander (Route 24)
  • Squirtle (Vermilion City)
  • Eevee (Celadon City)
  • Abra (Game Corner)
  • Vulpix (Game Corner
  • Wigglytuff (Game Corner)
  • Scyther (Game Corner)
  • Pinsir (Game Corner)
  • Porygon (Game Corner)
  • Hitmonlee (Fighting Dojo)
  • Hitmonchan (Fighting Dojo)
  • Lapras (Sliph. Co)
  • Omanyte (Cinnabar Island)
  • Kabuto (Cinnabar Island)
  • Aerodactyl (Cinnabar Island)

Pokemon Yellow doesn't have a ton to abuse, but I will not be abusing glitches, and the only items used in-battle are ones picked up from the ground. (basically, no store-bought items in battle)

The game starts as normal, with me taking Pikachu and my rival taking Eevee. Pikachu doesn't get a lot from everything given to it, so as a result, I attempt to give it every last bit of Experience I can get it from trainers. The first rival fight wen't fine. Although Eevee got a crit early, Pikachu also got a crit later, so it was ok. Pikachu learned Tail Whip from becoming level 6.

The Start:

With Pikachu having a massive disadvantage against Brock, the extra wilds I encounter become useful for marginal experience gain. I spend time with the optional rival battle to get Pikachu some more levels. Peck from Spearow does low damage while Pikachu 2HKOs the bird. (in fact it even got paralysis) Eevee does large damage with Tackle against my level 7 Pikachu, but ThunderShock inflicts Paralysis. (it didn't matter too much however, since Eevee was busy spamming its status moves) Pikachu is now Level 8! However it needs to be higher for Brock. So I head to Viridian Forest.

There in the forest are 4 Bug Catchers and a Lass. I fight them all to gain as much experience as possible. When I fight the first trainer, I find out how I forgot to heal Pikachu. (It was fine; Pikachu survived the two Nidorans with 1 HP left) After that experience came some mostly unremarkable battles. After the experience, Pikachu becomes level 13, where it learns Thunder Wave and Quick Attack. (replacing Growl)

I decide to take on the lone trainer in the Pewter Gym. Diglett goes down with two Quick Attacks. After using Tail Whip two times on Sandshrew, it goes down in three hits. I was expecting this to be harder, but even if Pikachu is level 14, the next fight will be nowhere near as easy:

Brock:

With the only offense against Brock being resisted Quick Attack, things seem to go downhill very fast. Quick Attack against Geodude only 5HKO's at -2, so I have to use a Potion, but Geodude is fine. Onix however, decides to be a jerk and use Bind, which a second Potion patches up. It's usage of Screech + Tackle concerns me, so I have to use a 3rd Potion. After 6 Tail Whips, it clicks Bind again (seriously? No Bide at all?) and I have to use my last Potion for that. It becomes time to use Quick Attack, (which 5HKO's Onix at -6) unfortunately failing because Onix likes to spam Tackle. Take Two after a reset!

An unfortunate crit on Quick Attack left me needing to take more damage against Geodude, but otherwise it goes normally. By some stroke of luck, Onix leads with Bide, meaning I get to take advantage of the free turns I get by spamming Tail Whip. I get 2 uses on the first use. The second use gives 3 uses, and a final use is granted through Bind missing. All that's left is to click Quick Attack 5 times. Bind annoyance necessitates the 3rd potion. More moves miss this time giving Pikachu even more free turns to the point where it finally took Brock down!

I was surprised that it was easier than I was expecting, but one nice thing about being level 14 at the fight means I can keep Thunder Wave to help me out on weird matchups. (Quick Attack + Tail Whip is necessary to defeat Brock, and ThunderShock is the strongest attack available at this point) That's all I have for this part!

The team, currently at Route 3:

Pikachu, level 14
  • ThunderShock
  • QuickAttack
  • TailWhip
  • ThunderWave
Surprisingly pulled it's weight throught the early-game and thankfully did not require any special grinding that would have otherwise made this take longer.

Last edited:
It took me embarrasingly long to realize that you implicitly weren't using glitches, as otherwise this makes absolutely no sense.
It also took me way too long to notice I didn't specify this. (nor that the only items I will use in battle are the ones picked up from the ground)

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
Dang, the first part felt more like a Pikachu solo than anything

... But I know it's because you can't catch anything and you aren't given Pokemon until the next city.
And for once, I can see a challenge run on a game before the gen 7 games where you have enough options for HM users without having to make exceptions to the rules for HM users! So I suppose that's something that'll surely make me enjoy it more.

Part Two!

Here, because of Pikachu's low stats which leads me to wanting to box it at some point. The amount of battling I do with it becomes very minimal to the point where only the required fights are done.

Said fights are easy however, due to Pikachu being overleveled from facing off Brock. Most things are 2HKO'd by ThunderShock. It reaches level 15, but I have already deiced the moves it currently has are too important to give up in favor of Double Team. Overall, nothing notable happens at Route 3, so time to move on to Mt. Moon!

The only really interesting part so far was grinding on all the Zubat that flew over and helped Pikachu reach level 17. When I finally reach the super nerd, I save in case something goes wrong. This was surprisingly the first time in ages that Grimer never clicked Disable and went straight for Pound. Pikachu still took it out with 1 Tail Whip + Quick Attacks. The even frailer Voltorb gets taken out by two Quick Attacks thanks to a crit. Koffing requires two ThunderShocks thanks to a crit. (notice a common pattern? I know Pikachu has a high crit rate because of its speed) I reach level 18, use a Potion for the next upcoming fight, and pick the Helix Fossil (I don't plan to use it, but I though I would tell you all anyway)

Now for Team Rocket. Ekans is 3HKO'd by ThunderShock. Meowth is 2HKO'd by ThunderShock with a crit. Koffing is 3HKO'd by ThunderShock (including a crit) and leaves Pikachu unfortunately poisoned. An extra Potion gives Pikachu the HP needed to escape Mt. Moon (Barely. Chu was at 3 HP) and introduce a whole new world of possibilities with:

More Pokemon!

It's just a Bulbasaur I obtain in Cerulean City, but a second mon nonetheless. Bulbasaur's only stand-out stat was getting a high speed, but it should still be fine. Pikachu happened to be at the necessary friendship when I reached the place so that was nice. I switch-train it against the rival, for which Sandshrew is the only problem. It goes down just fine in 1 Tail Whip + 3 Quick Attacks, but Sand Attack luck was working against me. Pikachu was too weak to fight Rattata and got killed by two Quick Attacks from it. Bulbasaur has to take over, now at level 11. Leech Seed + Tackle appears to go fine at first, especially since It missed a Tackle. Unfortunately, a crit on one of its attacks forced me to restart.

Take two! Spearow goes down fine, and it not attacking Pikachu was nice too. This time, Bulbasaur says in against Sandshrew to inflict Leech Seed to make Pikachu's job easier. It still clicks Sand Attack, but the the healing from Leech Seed proves to be useful. (also Shrew got lucked out by 1/256 miss in Scratch) Pikachu is at a much more appropriate HP to take Rattata this time. Even better is how Rattata never clicked Hyper Fang at all. Pikachu stays in against Eevee to inflict paralysys and lower defense for Bulbasaur to come in and swoop the kill. Bulbasaur finished off Eevee and gets to level 12!

Before healing, I take Bulbasaur to solo a Bug Catcher on the Nugget Bridge. Leech Seed makes it trivial, although a Tackle from Bulbasaur unfortunately missed. The experience gets Bulbasaur to level 13 and teaches it Vine Whip! Afterwards, I actually go and heal to take on the rest of the Nugget Bridge trainers. None of them are truly remarkable battles, so I finally remember to turn on Set over Switch. Pikachu reaches level 20 and I decide to learn Slam over Quick Attack. The trainer with the Mankey was giving me issues for a bit, but it worked out in the end thanks to luck with paralysis.

After all of this nonsense, I obtain my 3rd Pokemon in Charmander! I feet it the two Rare Candies I had and Teach it Mega Punch for extra firepower. It has a higher defense IV, but the rest are seemingly average. That's all I have for this time!

The team, currently at Route 25:

Pikachu, level 20:
  • ThunderShock
  • Slam
  • Tail Whip
  • Thunder Wave
Really, the extra levels it has is probably the main contributor to its strength.

Bulbasaur, level 15:
  • Tackle
  • Growl
  • Leech Seed
  • Vine Whip
Leech Seed is really helpful for the chip healing it provides. It helped Bulbasaur pull through a couple of battles.

Charmander, level 12:
  • Scratch
  • Growl
  • Ember
  • Mega Punch
I just got it, so I have no comments.

Very interesting run! Reminds me a bit of sb879’s Yellow run where the only Poke Balls that could be used were ones that were picked up off the ground and team choices had to be carefully considered.

Oddly enough, I think due to the Game Corner, the free starters, the Hitmon, the Eevee, and Lapras, the Kanto games might actually be one of the easier regions to do this challenge. Other regions’ freebies before beating the Champion:

- Johto gives you an Eevee, Togepi egg, Shuckle, Tyrogue, and the Game Corner Pokemon. In Crystal/HGSS only you can get Dratini and the Odd/Primo Egg, and in HGSS you can get one fossil and Aerodactyl by smashing rocks.
- Hoenn only gives you the Wynaut Egg and Castform, plus one fossil. ORAS ups this to include Contest Pikachu and a Togepi Egg once you save the world.
- Sinnoh gives you a Riolu Egg and one fossil. If you’re playing DP you can get the Happiny Egg and in Platinum you can get the Togepi Egg, Eevee and Porygon.
- Unova gives you one monkey, a Larvesta egg, and one fossil in BW. In B2W2 you get Zorua and Deerling.
- Kalos gives you a Kanto starter, one fossil, Aerodactyl by smashing rocks, Lucario, and Lapras.
- Alola gives you an Eevee egg, two fossils that you can buy, and Aerodactyl in SM. USUM gives out the Eevee egg, five fossils that you can buy, Aerodactyl, Surfing Pikachu, and Poipole.
- Galar gives you a 6IV Pikachu or Eevee if you have a LGPE save file, a Toxel, and the four mix and match fossils.

Hard to say which one is the most difficult. For Hoenn, for example, you’re required to pick Mudkip and use your starter as your HM pack mule.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Ouch, sorry to hear that happened. This sounds like an interesting idea. :blobpensive:

Let's see, of the games you mentioned I think Y might be the best choice.

Sycamore gives you a Kanto Starter (and their Mega Stone) after facing the 1st Gym.
Then before you get to the 2nd Gym you get one of the Fossil Pokemon you can immediately revive.
After beating the 3rd Gym you get the Mega Lucario from Korrina.
And then after getting the Mega Lucario you get a Lapras.

Now the first 3 Gym Leaders may be tricky battles, but if you can tough it through them I think you'll be in good shape despite only having 5 Pokemon.

Ouch, sorry to hear that happened. This sounds like an interesting idea. :blobpensive:

Let's see, of the games you mentioned I think Y might be the best choice.

Sycamore gives you a Kanto Starter (and their Mega Stone) after facing the 1st Gym.
Then before you get to the 2nd Gym you get one of the Fossil Pokemon you can immediately revive.
After beating the 3rd Gym you get the Mega Lucario from Korrina.
And then after getting the Mega Lucario you get a Lapras.

Now the first 3 Gym Leaders may be tricky battles, but if you can tough it through them I think you'll be in good shape despite only having 5 Pokemon.
I can actually get a 6th in Aerodactyl by smashing rocks in Glittering Cave for its fossil (which I might do for a fly slave)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)