Status
Not open for further replies.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams

#474 - Porygon-Z
Normal
Base stats - 85 HP / 80 Atk / 70 Def / 135 SpA / 75 SpD / 90 Spe

Abilities
Ability 1 - Adaptability: This Pokemon's same-type attack bonus (STAB) is 2 instead of 1.5.
Ability 2 - Download: On switch-in, Attack or Sp. Atk is raised 1 stage based on the foes' weaker Defense.
Hidden Ability - Analytic: This Pokemon's attacks have 1.3x power if it is the last to move in a turn.

Moves
Level-Up moves
- Trick Room
- Zap Cannon
- Magic Coat
- Conversion 2
- Tackle
- Conversion
- Nasty Plot
7 Psybeam
12 Agility
18 Recover
23 Magnet Rise
29 Signal Beam
34 Embargo
40 Discharge
45 Lock-On
50 Tri Attack
56 Magic Coat
62 Zap Cannon
67 Hyper Beam

TMs
TM03 Psyshock
TM06 Toxic
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM13 Ice Beam
TM14 Blizzard
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM21 Frustration
TM22 Solar Beam
TM24 Thunderbolt
TM25 Thunder
TM27 Return
TM29 Psychic
TM30 Shadow Ball
TM32 Double Team
TM40 Aerial Ace
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM46 Thief
TM48 Round
TM57 Charge Beam
TM63 Embargo
TM68 Giga Impact
TM73 Thunder Wave
TM77 Psych Up
TM85 Dream Eater
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM92 Trick Room
TM97 Dark Pulse
TM100 Confide
Analysis
In previous generations, Porygon-Z did not succeed being a great wallbreaker in OU because of its bad bulk and just decent speed. Z Moves gave Porygon-Z a way to not only boost its speed, but also increase its bulk and attack with a +1 boost. Furthermore, Z-Conversion allows Porygon-Z to change its typing, so a coverage moves gets STAB instead of Tri-Attack. This can be done by placing a move of the desired typing in the first moveslot (i.e. Thunderbolt for Electric-Type).

Potential movesets
I seperated the Electric-Type Porygon-Z from the Ghost-Type Porygon-Z to avoid confusion with slashes.

Ghost type
Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Conversion

Electric Type
Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Conversion
- Recover / Shadow Ball / Tri-Attack

Current Analysis Sets
Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
EVs: 16 HP / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Signal Beam / Nasty Plot
- Conversion
- Thunderbolt / Hidden Power Fighting

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
EVs: 16 HP / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Conversion
- Hidden Power Ground / Hidden Power Fighting

Max Speed is used to outspeed pokemon such as Modest Nihilego, Modest Tapu Lele and Modest Landorus, as well as Scarf Excadrill and Pheromosa after Z-Conversion.
Ghost Type Porygon-Z abuses the fact that many teams lack a Ghost-resist, or have a Ghost-resist weak to one of the coverage moves like Mandibuzz and Greninja. Ghost-Type Porygon-Z is also able to avoid damage from ExtremeSpeed and Mach Punch, making revengekilling more difficult.
Porygon-Z can also transform into an Electric-Type, giving it another strong STAB option and, because BoltBeam has great coverage, the option to use other moves like Recover and Tri-Attack (to be able to revenge kill before using Z-Conversion). It can also get some useful OHKOs Ghost-Type Porygon-Z doesn't achieve, such Toxapex and Tapu Fini (to prevent Haze).

Personal Opinion
Porygon-Z is an excellent late game cleaner in this metagame. Many teams are really weak to Ghost coverage and cores like Marowak-A + Porygon-Z or Aegislash + Porygon-Z do a great job at breaking some balanced teams. I prefer the Ghost-Type Porygon-Z in this metagame, but I've also faced the Electric-Type Porygon-Z and it is also very threatening, especially because it can surprise the opponent with Recover. Definitely one of the most overlooked late game cleaners, while it can also be useful to break some walls early game.

Last edited:
I find them a little hard to set to be honest, as Normal type lacks resistances and Porygon-Z's defences aren't stellar. I've been trying the same thing on Jirachi, with Z-Happy Hour, and I'm finding it both easier to set and quite a lot more defensive when it is set.

Something I would mention is that if you go Adaptability psychic type with Psyshock, you can get 2HKO Chansey easily, and still retain the strong BoltBeam. It's quite a nice set, especially if you pair it with Tapu Lele.

I find them a little hard to set to be honest, as Normal type lacks resistances and Porygon-Z's defences aren't stellar.[...]
I stopped reading after that. With Aegisslash being EVERYWHERE I honestly don't find it hard to setup at all.

Also I think Porygon Z is the best user of Z moves. After all it is in its name ;)

But seriously, think of Z-Conversion as a ""Protean""+Special Dragon Dance and you'll understand very quickly how powerful it is. I also really like how you can adapt its typing to the needs of your team, much better than Silvally actually.

I hope some crazy talented team builder finds this gem and polishes til it shines brighter than any diamond and gets Conversion Z banned lol

Electric-type Porygon-Z has a nice niche in that it's an offensive Electric-type that beats Alolan Marowak thanks to Shadow Ball. It also avoids paralysis.

The Psychic type, as mentioned in another post, can be a good choice due to also being benefited by a terrain, which also happens to make it immune to priority. And everything not called Mega Alakazam (because Pheromosa staying would be a miracle for it) will be slower than Porygon-Z after using Z-Conversion, so you have the advantage. Switching Shadow Ball with Psychic means you only miss coverage on Magnezone (and Shedinja, but whatever).

Download is an ability that could be considered. While not as reliable as Adaptability, you get a bigger boost on every move. In late-game it could be an easier boost to take advantage of (not much can switch into a +2 Porygon-Z after all), and clean like crazy.

Furthermore, consider that many teams are begging Genesect to get a Special Attack boost in order to not strengthen its U-Turns. Porygon-Z happens to be benefited by this, and can turn that strategy into a weak point in the opponent's team.

If Dark-types not weak to the usual three moves is a concern, you can run HP Fighting (since, for some reason, it cannot learn Focus Blast)... but you have to give up on the amazing coverage of Shadow Ball/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam.

Last edited:
I stopped reading after that. With Aegisslash being EVERYWHERE I honestly don't find it hard to setup at all.
Well you shouldn't have. That's an extremely specific matchup and you might still need to take a strong move to the face (Ghost Porygon-Z could potentially take an OHKO Ghost move, Electric could also take a strong Ghost move - most people now know what Porygon-Z's game is and so may not feel worried spamming ghost against a faster "normal" type).

Earning that match-up is tricky (if it is even a good match-up, which as I said is dubious), and so my point still stands. It's like saying Kartana can easily SD boost in the face of Ferrothorn, or Toxic Chansey, or whatever - it's hard to get that perfect situation to line up a boost, and Porygon-Z's defences certainly don't make that any easier. I think Porygon-Z often needs Parting Shot/Intimidate and U-turn support to often get a foothold - which is a lot of support for the setup of just the one mon. If they're already planned and implemented into your overall team structure, it's more workable, but to take them in a bubble definitely requires quite a bit of planning.

What about a Z enhanced HyperBeam? A 200(!) BP stab adaptability move that lacks the horrible recharge. Any non-ghost that switches into that will take MASSIVE damage. Sure that leaves you with mediocre regular hyper beam after it's use, but considering the 200 + 150 bp + adaptability burst damage over the course of 2 turns, it might be worth it, especially considering you don't HAVE to use hyperbeam immediately after - you can save it for later as a finisher! Considering the fact that using the generic normal Z-Move does not reveal what move it was based off of, your opponent might not see it coming.

Porygon-Z is awesome in this meta. It's a pretty customizable sweeper since it can become a large variety of types which is great for the surprise factor.It's just super reliant on a one-time use move, which isn't great. But it's a ridiculously powerful one-time use. It's also tricky to revenge kill since you don't know what type it might become, and it can boost its defenses. even Electric Porygon-Z can set up on Fighting types. Really, any situation where a Pokemon can change its type mid-battle creates mindgames, like with Mega Gyarados or something, so someone with godly prediction can use that to their advantage.

Hard to set up
This is why I tend to pair Porygon-Z with Dual screen setters, particularly Klefki since it's the easiest mon to set up screens. Due to lack of Fighting types (except maybe Pheromosa), Porygon-Z with screens is actually easier to set up due to lack of weakness. Anyway, some variations.

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
EVs: 252 SpA / 64 SpD / 192 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Conversion
- Toxic

Do you think this is a gimmick? I don't think so. With Ghost type + Subtoxic, you pretty much beat common Stall teams that doesn't carry Heatran. I mean, common Stall teams with Chansey + Mega Sableye + Aegislash + Toxapex + Unaware user or something, this set is pretty much designed to beat them. Well you don't have much coverage vs Offense but +1 Adaptability Shadow Ball basically 1-2HKOs most offensive mons. 192 Speed is designed to outspeed Tapu Koko after +1. As for Pheromosa, you resist it's STAB anyway, so you don't need to worry about it.

This is why I tend to pair Porygon-Z with Dual screen setters, particularly Klefki since it's the easiest mon to set up screens. Due to lack of Fighting types (except maybe Pheromosa), Porygon-Z with screens is actually easier to set up due to lack of weakness. Anyway, some variations.

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
EVs: 252 SpA / 64 SpD / 192 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Conversion
- Toxic

Do you think this is a gimmick? I don't think so. With Ghost type + Subtoxic, you pretty much beat common Stall teams that doesn't carry Heatran. I mean, common Stall teams with Chansey + Mega Sableye + Aegislash + Toxapex + Unaware user or something, this set is pretty much designed to beat them. Well you don't have much coverage vs Offense but +1 Adaptability Shadow Ball basically 1-2HKOs most offensive mons. 192 Speed is designed to outspeed Tapu Koko after +1. As for Pheromosa, you resist it's STAB anyway, so you don't need to worry about it.
Why not use Alola Ninetales as your screen setter? 1 turn and done.

Why not use Alola Ninetales as your screen setter? 1 turn and done.
Hail damages you every turn and Pelliper with Drizzle is kinda common. Hail is only useful if you want to covert Porygon-Z into Ice type and spam 220 BP Blizzards. But well, Ice is a bad type so good luck if you meet something like Scizor. Also, Alolan Ninetales can't set up hazard or use U-turn, so it's rather unappealing.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I haven't used it yet, but I remember in Discord some of us were discussing Electric Porygon-Z in Electric Terrain. It sounds absolutely terrifying in such a setup.

I haven't used it yet, but I remember in Discord some of us were discussing Electric Porygon-Z in Electric Terrain. It sounds absolutely terrifying in such a setup.
How terrifying does it sound? "2HKO Chansey with SR and a very small amount of prior damage" terrifying

+1 216 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Electric Terrain: 228-270 (35.5 - 42%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

How terrifying does it sound? "2HKO Chansey with SR and a very small amount of prior damage" terrifying

+1 216 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Electric Terrain: 228-270 (35.5 - 42%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
Mommy.

Potential OU Porygon-Z never thought i'd see the day.

How many viable Z-Move users are there even being considered? Manaphy (Z-Rain Dance), A.Persian(Z-Parting Shot) and General Lures? Not much competition in that particular slot.

No. Attacking moves lose all secondary effects when they get turned into Z moves. Not sure if showdown has correctly implemented it yet.

Been loving his on my team. I just happened to be working on a gimmicky Conversion set prior and this makes it even better.

I do however run Tri Attack on my set so you have a strong STAB prior to using your Z Move. Also in a do or die situation I can rely on Z Tri-Attack if needed. Gives you an extra option with Normalium Z though I always save it for Z Conversion late-game if I can.

Not only does this thing hit very hard but the +1 defenses makes revenge killing it harder. I can definitely see this thing doing well as a late-game cleaner.

Personally I think Memento Latios is top-tier pick here. Once you click Memento, set-up against opponent with -2 offenses is easy pie. Personally one of better partners IMO. It may be both double-screen + memento (personally overkill) or simple offensive set with Memento to soften up opponents Pokemon and let Porygon-Z go in once something is weakened by Memento. Azelf also IMO works as it's fast and has Taunt, so nothing will really set-up in your face. Also other alternative are Healing Wish Mesprit (something Azelf misses) or Memento Uxie.

Personally I think Memento Latios is top-tier pick here. Once you click Memento, set-up against opponent with -2 offenses is easy pie. Personally one of better partners IMO. It may be both double-screen + memento (personally overkill) or simple offensive set with Memento to soften up opponents Pokemon and let Porygon-Z go in once something is weakened by Memento. Azelf also IMO works as it's fast and has Taunt, so nothing will really set-up in your face. Also other alternative are Healing Wish Mesprit (something Azelf misses) or Memento Uxie.
I think dedicated Memento users is a little overkill this gen with the increased access to Parting Shot. Granted to debuff isn't quite as strong, but you can use it again and again, and Scarf Sivally and/or Alolan-Persian (Scarf or whatever, it is pretty fast) are reasonable users - with Persain being much more of an annoyer.

I've won a ton of games on the ladder with the electric set. I see where you guys are coming from re: lack of ghost checks, but the prevalence of Aegislash's Shadow Sneak is a problem, and the also common Tapu Koko makes it really easy for Adaptability +1 Tbolt to wreck house.

I've been going back and forth on Shadow Ball / Recover on the third move slot. Depends on the prevalence of Marowak.

Along with Electric, run Dugtrio. It takes off most things that can take it's electric attacks, like A-Marowak, Magnezone, lol Lanturn and such (that can resist the Boltbeam combo).

I also enjoy using it with Nasty Plot on the last slot (along with screens), sometimes it's well worth, mainly against some ground pokes not weak to Ice (they come in on conversion, easily survive the attack and now their ground attacks are SE against you; with NP your Ice Beam will 2HKO all of them and no weakness to ground).

Hail damages you every turn and Pelliper with Drizzle is kinda common. Hail is only useful if you want to covert Porygon-Z into Ice type and spam 220 BP Blizzards. But well, Ice is a bad type so good luck if you meet something like Scizor. Also, Alolan Ninetales can't set up hazard or use U-turn, so it's rather unappealing.
I could expect to see Z-Conversion + Blizzard get some use when used in conjunction with HP Fire and Psychic Terrain to cover for Scizor, but I agree that it does seem very niche in comparison to Ghost and Electric. Heatran shits on an Ice/Fire combo too.

Although Psychic and Electric are awesome options for conversion (psyshock and t-bolt respectively with terrain tapu@extender) I still feel until Aegislash and Pheromosa are banned, Ghost is a must:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-482295077
I feel like electric is safer against aegis. I've had no trouble one shotting them with mine. I don't have enough experience with the matchup between porygone-z and pheromosa to comment on that, but I have other better answers for it on the rest of my team so idk if that will be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)