Porygon2 (Gen 4, Offensive Trick Room)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone deleted this set and to be honest I don't know why. It was a bit outdated (with mentions of Honchkrow, Shaymin, Roserade and Crobat), so I updated it a bit and made few changes. Any help, comments, etc. really appreciated ;). It's really hard to find good set in UU for Porygon2 and I think this one is really good here.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/porygon2

[SET]
name: Offensive Trick Room
move 1: Trick Room
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Thunderbolt
move 4: Recover / Tri Attack / Hidden Power Fighting
ability: Download
item: Life Orb
nature: Quiet
evs: 252 HP / 100 SpD / 156 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Porygon2 is mostly used as defensive pokemon to take hits and for a good reason - his defensive abilities are quite impressive and thanks to his unique ability, which is Trace, it may copy some usefull abilities like Intimidiate and use them against pokemon which defensive duck counters. However in UU pokemon doesn't have many really usefull abilities to trace, which makes Porygon2 much less effective as a wall. But cyber duck also has access to another trait, which is Download. Download works like a free Choice Specs boost, if you switch user of Download on pokemon with weaker special defence than defence and you still have a freedom in choosing moves. Even if it's situational, even without boost it can hurt many switches with his attacks. Unfortunately Porygon2 has really low speed, which doesn't help him in sweeping, but it has one move, which easily fixes that problem - Trick Room.</p>

<p>Thanks to Trick Room this Porygon version not only support his teammates with this field effect, but also let him to sweep on his own, which more defensive Porygon2 sets can't accomplish. Also this set works in every moment of the match - from the start to the late-game and may act both as a quasi-wall or mentioned earlier sweeper. For example after Download boost this version of Porygon2 easily beats in two shots Max HP/Max Special Defense Careful Steelix and Max HP/Max Special Defense Bold Venusaur with Ice Beam or 252 HP Spiritomb with both T-Bolt and Ice Beam and it can surprise many of this switches, which are safe bets against other sets. Recover is here, as it helps cyber duck act not only as a sweeper but also as a quasi-wall, which takes weaker special attacks with solid comfort and thanks to Recover he can just heal off later when life orb recoil starts to be troublesome. Ice Beam and Thunderbolt are probably the best choice for attacking moves, as they give Porygon2 famous BoltBeam coverage which hits many pokemon for super-effective damage and also gives him the best possible coverage in two moves. Tri Attack is also an option too choose to fix a bit more coverage and Porygon2 gains STAB on it, however without Recover cyber duck may won't work anymore as an effective quasi-wall and after few switches he won't be able to take some hits anymore. Tri Attack also guarrantess OHKO on Blaziken, which may survive another attacks even with Download boost.</p>

<p>The EVS for this set gives Porygon2 both bulk and power needed to beat most of his counters one on one and beat many of his checks. However alternative spread 252 HP/252 Special Attack Quiet Nature is also good option if you don't mind loosing some of cyber ducks bulk and for example with max special attack and download boost it has 80% to 2OHKO 252 HP Hitmontop when with 156 EVs it only has 10% for beating Hitmontop in two hits. 100 Special Defense EVs helps Porygon2 in absorbing some hits from walls like Venusaur or Milotic beating them much easier. But if someone prefer to make it bulkier on physical side, then it's still an option, however in UU special attacks are popular, so special defensive EVs are a bit better choice here.</p>

<p>Even with Download boost under its belt, this version of Porygon2 struggle against some pokemon. Chansey is probably the best counter, as even this version of Porygon2 can't beat Chansey anytime soon without full set of entry hazards, so residual damage from both Spikes and Stealth Rock are still a nice bonus. If cyber duck lacks Tri Attack, Lanturn laughs on Porygon2 attacks, as his specially defensive bulk and resistance on BoltBeam combination also makes him an excellent counter. Registeel with good amount of Special Defense also laughs on Porygon2 without Hidden Power Fighting, which is another option if you really need to counter Registeel. Specially Defensive Clefable also doesn't mind switching on Porygon2, however Max Attack Porygon2 kills it with Download boost most of times in two shots with Tri Attack, so she needs to be carefull before switching in (it only has 9% to survive two hits from Max Attack cyber duck). Blaziken and Hitmonlee are good checks on Porygon2 without Tri Attack as they survive one hit and they scare it away with their deadly fighting STAB attacks, but they only stand a change if they switch on round, which this version of Porygon activates Trick Room. Defensive Hariyama also handles hits from Porygon2 with solid comfort, however it needs heavy defensive investment to do it. However Hariyama has a nice bonus being slower then Porygon2, which may turn Trick Room into huge disadvantage for cyber duck. Weezing, Nidoqueen, Spiritomb and Slowbro are good options as they resist fighting attacks which may trouble trouble cyber duck and easily deal with most fighting type pokemon, however Lanturn is another case and he troubles them. Absol is also good partner for Porygon2, however it can't switch directly on most of cyber ducks counters, but unlike mentioned earlier pokemon it easily beats pokemon like Chansey or Shedinja with SuperPower or strong physical dark attacks and he may take out Chansey or Shedinja with well predicted Pursuit. Another good option is Nidoking, as it easily beats Chansey, Specially Defensive Registeel, Lanturn and Clefable, four most dangerous counters for offensive cyber duck, however it needs to watch out on last two with his mediocore defenses.</p>

<p>Offensively, Blaziken will be more then happy seeing pokemon like Milotic fainted, which this version of Porygon2 handles well enough, however Blaziken doesn't fit Trick Room teams too well. However, in speed-mixed teams Blaziken may be a perfect choice or if you want Porygon2 only for sweeping. Absol will wreck havock in opponents team, when Hitmontop is out of picture, however TechniTop needs one more counter as both of them can't handle this version of Hitmontop. Venusaur and Cacturne may start firing their strong grass attacks, when bulky grass or fire type pokemon fainted. If some cocky Steelix switches in and gets killed by this Porygon2, Swellow or Dodrio may start their sweep. Anyway this version of Porygon2 fits any team, as it may not only support another teammates with Trick Room, but as mentioned earlier sweep on his own and surprise opponent with un-standard pokemon on any offensive team and its bulkiness is nice bonus for them.</p>

You're missing the "ability: Download" part of the set. Also, you should never use "HP" when referring to Hidden Power, so use Hidden Power Ground in the moveset. Finally, this needs to be formatted to reflect the new change, which can be found here.

I'll proofread this once I get back home from school. :)

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Personally, I'd recommend you go back through and try to proofread this a bit yourself, Garganator. A lot of this analysis is hard to follow, while your inability to do any proofreading yourself (you never once capitalized Pokémon dude) shows that you didn't take the time to polish this before posting it. Besides that, none of the offensive teammates you've benefit from Trick Room - something I would find rather problematic in the analysis of a Trick Room Pokémon.

While the set may be viable (I'm not saying that it isn't), the set comments really need to be revamped or rewritten before proofreading can really be attempted. I'd be happy and willing to help you rewrite it if you'd like me to, but for right now, it's just not up to snuff.

Personally, I'd recommend you go back through and try to proofread this a bit yourself, Garganator. A lot of this analysis is hard to follow, while your inability to do any proofreading yourself (you never once capitalized Pokémon dude) shows that you didn't take the time to polish this before posting it. Besides that, none of the offensive teammates you've benefit from Trick Room - something I would find rather problematic in the analysis of a Trick Room Pokémon.

While the set may be viable (I'm not saying that it isn't), the set comments really need to be revamped or rewritten before proofreading can really be attempted. I'd be happy and willing to help you rewrite it if you'd like me to, but for right now, it's just not up to snuff.
I think I concentrated a bit too much for his ability to sweep by itself, as true, I didn't mention partners, which appreciate Trick Room and mentioned only those which also works fine, however they don't need TR that much. Marowak, Kingler, Hariyama, etc. would fit here. True, I didn't capitalized Pokemon. And as I said I appreciate any help, so sure, you may rewrite it if you want ;).

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Something along these lines may work out better for you:

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While the majority of Porygon2's movesets focus on its defensive capabilities, this set capitalizes on Porgon2's ability to be a self-supported Trick Room sweeper. After setting up Trick Room, Porygon can begin its BoltBeam assault, hitting everything but Lanturn and Shedinja for neutral damage. The fourth moveset comes down to how you'd like to play Porygon2. Recover is the more defensive option, allowing Porygon2 to attempt multiple sweeps and shrug off any damage it may take upon switching in. Be wary of using recover in Trick Room, however; Trick Room only lasts for five turns, during which you'll need to do the majority of your sweeping. Speaking of sweeping, Tri Attack is another useful attack Porygon2 has at its disposal, hitting Lanturn for neutral damage and adding a STAB attack to its arsenal. On the other hand, Hidden Power Fighting is a reliable option to hit Steel- and Dark-types harder and for making larger dents in Chansey as it switches in (Porygon2 can't KO it, however).</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The allocated Special Attack EVs provide Porygon2's attacks with some added bite, while the defensive EVs help Porygon2 tank attacks from the more popular end of the spectrum. Doing so makes taking down the likes of special Venusaur and Milotic much easier. However, a full sweeper spread of 252 HP / 252 SpA with a Quiet nature and Speed IV of zero will help Porygon2 reach its maximum potential, just don't expect it to tank as many special attacks.</p>

<p>Porygon2's teammates are quite variable, depending on whether you plan on using a full team dependant on Trick Room or just Porygon2. While Trick Room is in effect, Pokemon with low Speed, such as Trapinch, Hariyama, and Slowbro, are all decent options, since all three have a much easier time sweeping with twisted dimensions. Trapinch is typically only seen on Trick Room teams, and can act as a strong revenge killer, thanks to Arena Trap, a decent base 100 Attack stat, and Quick Attack. hariyama's ability, Guts, allows it to absorb statuses that might hinder other Pokemon. In fact, while under Trick Room, paralysis boosts both Hariyama's Attack and Speed, since it will halve Hariyama's already low Speed stat. Slowbro's ability to set up Trick Room and Slack Off damage makes it an excellent tank on Trick Room teams, although its sibling, Slowking, is a better offensive choice since it can boosts its Special Attack much easier.</p>

<p>Should you choose to make Porygon2 a stand-alone Trick Room sweeper, your options for teammates become much more conventional. Absol makes a great switch-in against Ghost-types who expect Tri Attack, as does Skuntank. If your opponent heavily uses Taunt, Skuntank may be the better of the two, since it doesn't neet to use Swords Dance to boost its Attack. Blaziken is able to go on the offensive much easier in the absence of Milotic (whom this set KOes with minimal effort) and can handle any Steelix who may try to take advantage of Trick Room or attempt to wall off Porygon2. This set does struggle against Hitmontop - especially the TechniTop set - so plan accordingly. Common checks against hitmontop include Flying-types, such as Swellow, Ghost-types like Spiritomb, and Psychic-types, such as the aformentioned Slowbro.</p>

I'll go ahead and add some teammates later, unless you have a problem with this, Garganator.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
IIRC Xia mentioned about doing this for you.

<@ibojangles> [1:04pm] Xia: it's not that big of a deal
<@ibojangles> [1:04pm] Xia: i just want a thread locked so I can post a new one
<@ibojangles> [1:04pm] Xia: (garganator's P2 set in UU)

If I interpreted it wrong, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)