Post SPL7 Doubles Sets

kamikaze

The King Of Games
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
From the maker of Expert Belt Kyurem-Black, I give you Life Orb Kyurem-Black.

GameKyuB (Kyurem-Black) @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 104 Atk / 180 SpA / 224 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Protect

I always had this love for bluffing scarf on a lot of my pokemon, but my Kyurem finally went the same way my Landorus-T did with this set.

No Bluffs. No Messing Around. Just Raw Power.

This set was built for use against BLOOD TOTEM since I expected him to bring a zard and non scarf lando for our match. The EV Spread is pretty simple and was built with that in mind.

Fusion Bolt OHKO'es even bulky zard (E-Belt was too much attack investment to do this without having weak special attacks) and the speed outspeeds all variants of non-Scarf Landorus-T (notably he actually brought Timid Zard for the match)

104 Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Mega Charizard Y: 361-426 (100.2 - 118.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO.
180 SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Kangaskhan: 172-203 (48.8 - 57.6%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO (I liked Ice beam damage for 2hko'ing most things that take it for neutral damage such as Kang)

I highly recommend supporting this mon with speed control since its an extremely powerful breaker thanks to the Life Orb boost along with beautiful coverage in Ice/Ground/Electric but appreciates hitting a lot of threats faster than it. This is great for ko'ing genies for your partners, but there are some notable things to keep in mind when using this set such as the fact that you should not underestimate Amoonguss as it does not get OHKO'ed by this Kyurem

Last edited:

MajorBowman

wouldst thou like to live fergaliciously?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Politoed @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 232 HP / 116 Def / 84 SpA / 76 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Encore
- Helping Hand
- Protect

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Muddy Water
- Disable
- Protect

Thundurus @ Choice Specs
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flash Cannon

One of my favorite teams from VGC 2015 had Specs Thundurus-I with Helping Hand Politoed so I decided to make a DOU version of the team too. The VGC team had Ludicolo but I was told by multiple sources that Kingdra was better so I went that route. Encore/Disable was a really fun option against slower stuff that could give rain problems, Ferrothorn specifically. Politoed being faster than Aegislash also meant I could make it do whatever I wanted. The Politoed EV spread survives Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt and Kangaskhan Return (without Sitrus) and Double-Edge (with Sitrus), and always OHKOs Mega Diancie with Scald in the rain. Kingdra and Thundurus are pretty self explanatory. The original VGC team had Psychic > Flash Cannon but I figured the Diancie coverage was more necessary. This team also had HJK Scrafty, which I'm told checkmater75 would appreciate.

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 232 HP / 56 Def / 112 SpD / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Protect

This was the Charizard spread I used Week 1. I'm not a huge fan of max/max Timid on Zard since it has some pretty solid natural bulk and it can stick around for a long time with Intimidate support. This spread survives Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt and -1 Landorus-T Rock Slide, as well as -0 Jolly Kangaskhan Return, while the Speed lets Charizard outrun Breloom. I didn't need a nature for any of those calcs so I just used Modest for some extra damage.

Aegislash @ Life Orb
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 140 HP / 252 SpA / 116 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield

Another favorite set of mine from VGC 15. Having Aegislash on the same team as a Volcarona screams Wide Guard, so Shadow Sneak was a fun trick to pick off weakened Pokemon or soften something up so a teammate can finish it off. This Aegislash outspeeds 0 IV negative nature Jirachi/Victini since I had seen Biosci using those two with Trick Room earlier in SPL, but it also outspeeds Mega Diancie in Tailwind. That may have been relevant if I had used Tailwind in that game but still good to know.

Those are some of my favorite sets from SPL, though I enjoyed all of the teams I used. I also loved Jirachi but you all know what that bitch does so no point in going on about it. If you had told me before SPL that Talonflame was tied for my most used Pokemon I probably wouldn't have believed you but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
I already posted a team report but here are some of the highlights

N (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 Atk / 40 Def / 216 SpA
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Trick Room
- Protect

Can't say enough good things about Hoopa-U as a TR setter, EV spread lives a Kangaskhan Return at -1 so bring Intimidate support if you use this set.
-1 252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 0 HP / 40 Def Hoopa Unbound: 253-298 (84 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

F (Charizard-Mega-X) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flame Charge
- Belly Drum
- Dragon Claw
- Protect

Cool Charizard X set you can use if your team is dedicated to a Zard X sweep. I went with Belly Drum over Dragon Dance because I find Zard X gets one free turn to set up but apart from that it can be difficult to get more than 1 DD. This set also gets some cool OHKOs at +6 and I had tailwind support on the team to get around the lack of speed boosts. Jolly nature to outspeed any Hydreigon or Kyurem-B (non scarfed of course) and to outspeed the common neutral speed natured base 100s. If you want you can put 24 EVs into HP to always live a Kangaskhan Sucker Punch after you Belly Drum.
+6 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Heatran: 321-378 (99.3 - 117%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
+5 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flame Charge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 372-438 (105.6 - 124.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO (if the opp has intimidate support)

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 SpA
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 28 Spe
- Trick Room
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt
- Protect

OK so this isn't the exact set I used in SPL, the only difference is that in SPL I used max hp max defense but I was just running calcs and made a small edit to the EV spread to always 2HKO 252HP Cresselia. Anyways, Mega Gengar is a fun trick room setter, this set hits 263 speed after you mega evolve to Taunt Breoom. Here are some of the hits you survive with this monster, and the Cress calc.
12 SpA Mega Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Cresselia: 222-264 (50 - 59.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 244+ Def Mega Gengar: 265-313 (81.7 - 96.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 244+ Def Mega Gengar: 250-296 (77.1 - 91.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 244+ Def Mega Gengar: 246-290 (75.9 - 89.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Landorus-T Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 244+ Def Mega Gengar: 62-73 (19.1 - 22.5%) -- possible 5HKO
-1 252+ Atk Hoopa Unbound Hyperspace Fury vs. 252 HP / 244+ Def Mega Gengar: 236-278 (72.8 - 85.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 252+ Atk Life Orb Hoopa Unbound Hyperspace Fury vs. 252 HP / 244+ Def Mega Gengar: 307-361 (94.7 - 111.4%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

Last edited:
I used Mega-Diancie+Jirachi every game so never got to use this stuff lol

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast/Psychic
- Knock Off/Hidden Power Ice
- Protect

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unnerve
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Tailwind
- Smack Down
- Taunt/Wide Guard
- Sky Drop/Iron Head

Smack Down lets Lando hit flying types and things with levitate so notably Rotom-W, Thundurus, and Lando-T. Tailwind lets Lando out speed Diancie, Keldeo, Metagross, Gengar, among others and OHKO them.

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 244 HP / 72+ SpD Thundurus: 460-541 (127.7 - 150.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 40 SpD Rotom-W: 416-491 (136.8 - 161.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 274-324 (85.8 - 101.5%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
-1 252 Atk Aerodactyl Smack Down vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 52-63 (16.3 - 19.7%) -- possible 6HKO

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Protect

Scizor @ Lum Berry
Ability: Technician
EVs: 224 HP / 16 Atk / 88 Def / 180 Spe
Impish Nature
- Tailwind
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance/Feint
- Baton Pass

The idea is that Scizor beats fairies like Diancie, Gardevoir, and can get up Tailwind so mix Kyurem beats Keldeo, Terrak, Latios etc. Kyurem also beats Heatran, Rotom, Charizard-Y stuff that deters people from using Scizor. If you don't want SD on Scizor, Feints pretty cool I guess. Evs let it take two -1 LO Close Combats from Terrakion and out speed Adamant Lando in Tailwind. You could only let it take 2 Lando Earthquakes, only let it out speed Mega-Gengar in TW and give it some special defense if you want. Idk, Scizors a weird mon.

0+ Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 232 HP / 76 Def Mega Charizard Y: 367-432 (103.3 - 121.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Kangaskhan: 181-214 (51.4 - 60.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Lucario @ Focus Sash/Safety Goggles
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Stone Edge
- Feint/Follow Me

The idea here is that no one runs + speed natures on stuff like Kanga, Charizard-Y, or Hydreigon so Lucario can out speed and OHKO all those things while checking Diancie with Bullet Punch. Also it can't be Faked Out because Inner Focus which is nice. Follow Me is pretty neat because you can redirect stuff like Bisahrp and Amoonguss easily and no one would expect it.

literally wanted to use this every week, not because it's amazing just because I love it so much

qsns

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
VGCPL Champion
in my 5 games I generally used really boring sets but here are two highlights from my two winning games

sweep (Rhyperior) @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
Adamant Nature
- Drill Run
- Rock Slide
- Ice Punch
- Protect

Used this Week 2 vs Arctic on a team very reliant on TW. Stratos was helping me with my team and we both realized the redirection of TWave from Thundurus + the crazy amount of offense this provides would be a great fit. I think Pwne/Lohgock used this last year on a build similarly reliant on Tailwind, but it's a pretty underrated set. Max speed allows you to outspeed base 111s and below when Tailwind is up, which allows you to dunk Thundurus and Mega Diancie.

healthy meta (Thundurus) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 120 HP / 136 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

Used Week 6 against BLINGAS with a Landorus-T named "genies of". Fsr HP Ice is now a rarity on Thundurus even though it's still really good for dunking Lando and the now somewhat popular Salamence. Moveset can be customized to what the team needs but I wanted to showcase offensive Thundurus with some bulk. The HP Investment takes a Ludicolo Hydro in Rain and generally allows Thund to take some hits w/ Sitrus recovery that it wouldn't be able to with Life Orb. If you use this set I'd generally recommend dropping Protect as this set has the bulk to take a hit or two and fitting in more utility moves with TBolt + FCannon is really nice.

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
So most of my sets can be summarized as me teambuilding, having some bulky thing, and just making it abnormally fast

Something that's always bugged me about standard sets is that's its reached the point where I can confidently say my bisharp is outspeeding this Rotom-Wash, or my Heatran can easily sub on this Suicune over and over, or that I can take a Modest Hydreigon and confidently drop dracos on opposing Kyube, confident that they won't out-speed, even though they very easily can. So, without further ado, here are some sets that have more speed than is healthy:

Venusaur @ Focus Sash
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 232 HP / 24 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

The idea behind this set was to live Adamant Kangaskhan Return and be able to sleep powder if it went straight for a Return before mega evolving, and outspeeding Adamant Kang before Mega-Evolve. I used sash on this because fuck Talonflame, and it's essentially supposed to be a fastsleeper with decent bulk. Don't really like Venu so bleh

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 68 HP / 252 Atk / 188 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Belly Drum
- Protect

This azu spread is supposed to outspeed tailwind-ev'ed Aegislash, and also outspeed Latios in Tailwind. It notably gets to outspeed Ferrothorn after T-Wave and KO it with Knock if a Thundurus sacks on Azu (something that happened to me last seasonal).

Suicune @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Tailwind
- Snarl

I really like fastcune: I think I might've been timid max for a while until getting rid of that, but getting to move first is always nice. Bulk drop is noticeable, to an extent, but meh... outspeeding Heatran before it can sub-stall you is very nice, as well as chunking Bisharp. Also you beat stuff like adamant Breloom that people have been greedily running, as well as the normal benchmarks of Diancie-Mega and post-tailwind benchmarks.

Jirachi @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 72 SpD / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Icy Wind
- Follow Me
- Healing Wish

This is a Checkmater classic: fukn fast as shit Jirachi. I love this thing, and being able to fish for flinches is always a plus. Call me crazy but I've reached the point where when I see a Jirachi NOT outspeed a Kyube I spill my tea and yell at the person using Jirachi in my head. Being faster than all the little shits that have middling speed tiers (hydreigon, kyube, char y, kang, Zappy, Gardevoir, etc) is just so nice it's unbelievable. Add on Healing Wish sacks to bring in burned/damaged allies back to healthy and operational, and you've got a speedy support who isn't stopping the momentum train.

Other stuff:

Salty Suite was full of just fun sets, I think the mew might be kinda cool but I'll skip over it since it wasn't a match
Anyways, I also used:

Sylveon @ Life Orb
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 56 HP / 200 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpD / 0 Spe
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Substitute
- Protect

Substitute on TR attackers is very nice, it lets you punish protects heavily while also having a non-tr setup option for your Fake Out partner. You're evaporating your bulk with Life Orb Sub but the point of the set isn't to be bulky, it's to be able to take the usual stuff and operate as a sweeper.

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 120 HP / 136 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Protect

Ok so truthfully this wasn't EV'd for any specific benchmark, even though pre-mega diancie living Steel Wing Talonflame looked perfect. The reasoning behind this set was twofold:

Firstly, you don't need the SpA for anything special. You also don't need the Atk for anything special. While the Attack is very nice, bulk on Diancie lets you do a lot of things, such as much easier maneuvering around entry damage (in fact, here's a recent replay http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesou-350094727 where I got to switchin on a Shadow Ball and take another one, letting me not have to protect and be a sissy with my Diancie). In general, I find the bulk to be very useful.

Secondly, and this delves a little more into theory than anything else, but for EVs, what matters most is percent change. In general, since everything in mons is calculated by percents, you want to know the %change of your damage outpute, the %change of your bulk, etc. Well, for a Mega with 150 base atk, you're not getting very much %change out of maxing out your attack, compared to the ammount of bulk you get from putting it into HP. 120 HP is a middling compromise I settled on, but for Megas with very high base offenses (ie Char Y, Diancie, Kangaskhan doesn't count because it scales 1.5x and she's got like 125 base Atk) it makes sense to patch up abysmal bulk stats in HP and Def (Char Y) or HP (Diancie).

As an example, 252 atk vs 136 atk is about 419 vs 390, or a 7.4% change in damage output (again this isn't flat % of hp dealt, this is a modifier on your previous damage output: if you would've done 100% now you're doing 107.4%) whereas 120 HP vs 0 HP is 271 HP vs 241 HP, or a 12.4% change in bulkiness.

Overall I've liked this set a lot in testing, and the bulk has saved me time and time again on crucial rolls/KOs that became, well, not rolls because of this set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)