Move Power-Up Punch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name: Power-Up Punch
Effect: "Striking opponents over and over makes the user's fists harder. Hitting a target raises the Attack stat."
(Successful hit gives +1 Attack to attacker.)
10 Power Points
40 Base Power
Accuracy: 100%

I have to wonder, guys, what's your opinion on Power-Up Punch? I can see it working fine on paper and it makes setting up a little easier with certain Pokes, and then there's Technician Megacario who gets it... But 40 Base Power outside of that is what makes me skeptical of how well it's going to play out. If Breloom gets it, though, I'd like to think it can run Low Sweep or Power-Up Punch. Outside of those, though, I'm not sure what impact it's going to have considering it'd be easy to switch into resident Ghost of your choice.

Thoughts?

MEga kangaskahn can learn it and is really good on him.
Also megacario has adaptability not technician.

I can only see it being any good on Kangaskhan because of the double hit, but I don't know if its confirmed to actually give it the stat boost twice. There are lots of moves out there that raise stats upon usage that never took off, and I don't see this one being any different from Flame Charge and other moves in the same vein.

It's good on mega kangaskhan not because the boost is applied twice (I doubt it does) but because once you go +1 since you attack twice, it's a better modifier.

Power Up punch feels like a good move for bulky pokemon. Something that doesn't need to do a lot of upfront damage because it can stay on the field for a long time.

I like the idea of a Rest Talk set that uses Power up Punch as it allows the Rest Talker a much better chance to do damage and being able to boost while asleep. I think an Iron Fist Pangoro with Rest/ Sleep Talk/ Power up Punch/ Payback with Leftovers and 252 HP 252 Def or something would be an interesting set.

It is such a low base power than I think offensive Pokemon are better off using Swords Dance while defensive Pokemon can just accept the coverage loss and use Curse or Bulk Up or something. Seems useless.

Now that I'm looking at the list of Pokemon who get Technician, in hindsight this isn't that viable a move. Breloom prefers the more powerful Low Sweep or Bullet Seed depending and Hitmontop has better things to do than attempt to boots this way. All the other Pokemon, like Ambipom, have their own niches already in root.

It's like a physical Charge Beam. Slightly less power, but better accuracy, works 100% of the time, and generally a better offensive type.

Charge Beam isn't the most popular move, but it does seem better, probably? But that doesn't mean it'll be all that prominent.

Now that I'm looking at the list of Pokemon who get Technician, in hindsight this isn't that viable a move. Breloom prefers the more powerful Low Sweep or Bullet Seed depending and Hitmontop has better things to do than attempt to boots this way. All the other Pokemon, like Ambipom, have their own niches already in root.
Just to note, Low Sweep got "buffed" to 65 BP, so it isn't compatible with Technician anymore.

I see this sort of becoming like Flame Charge or Charge Beam - they look like cool moves that come with an occasionally handy boost, but ultimately, no one uses them because they aren't very strong and are inferior to a +2 boost, while an offensive Pokemon can't really make use of its boosts (and then defensive Pokemon just won't use it). I mean, I remember when Flame Charge was very hyped, but nowadays it is literally a never seen move.

It also doesn't help that a large range of these Pokemon can also learn Bulk Up - losing 40 Base Power is definitely worth a defense boost, and you still get an attack boost as well. For example, for the Pangoro mentioned above, Bulk Up would be a much more reliable means of set-up and would help it take hits better to set up more.

Last edited:
I think this move is just awful, even worse than Charge Beam which was only used on Magnezone for one purpose. What's even worse is how much better the stronger fighting moves are compared to the stronger electric moves vs Charge Beam. And before anyone says a Pokemon might not learn a different fighting-type move, that means it isn't a fighting-type and using this without STAB as well? Complete garbage.

I think this move is just awful, even worse than Charge Beam which was only used on Magnezone for one purpose. What's even worse is how much better the stronger fighting moves are compared to the stronger electric moves vs Charge Beam. And before anyone says a Pokemon might not learn a different fighting-type move, that means it isn't a fighting-type and using this without STAB as well? Complete garbage.
Maybe as coverage but that's pretty shitty coverage. The only thing I can think of with coverage similar would be Primeape and Punishment but Punishment at least has a very powerful side effect.

I haven't been playing on the Gen 5.5 ladder, but I was watching some videos and noticing a LOT of Fighting Gem Unburden Hawlucha which is interesting as a cleaner.

I haven't been playing on the Gen 5.5 ladder, but I was watching some videos and noticing a LOT of Fighting Gem Unburden Hawlucha which is interesting as a cleaner.
...That's... Actually something I'm going to consider trying. Seems really gimmicky but as a cleaner I can see this working...
To testing!

And better typing depending on who you ask. I can see that set working really well depending on it's Egg moves/Move tutor moves but I don't think it could use Power-Up Punch as it's solo Stab move. That's just suicide.

Well no, but Acrobatics/High Jump Kick is fantastic coverage with insane power, so it's just a matter of "What third move coverage do you want?" The Hawluchas I saw were running Roost so I'd like to see what he does. Monosteel is pretty sweet, but what prevents Klinklang from doing jack-all is that its movepool is utter shit. Again, Fighting/Flying is already genius (it was unresisted before freaking Aegislash if I'm correct) so Hawlucha immediately has a leg up.

I'll have to do some testing with that kind of set. I just downloaded Showdown so I can probably get some testing in tonight. (I'm in High School for the record, so homework is a thing.)

Well no, but Acrobatics/High Jump Kick is fantastic coverage with insane power, so it's just a matter of "What third move coverage do you want?" The Hawluchas I saw were running Roost so I'd like to see what he does. Monosteel is pretty sweet, but what prevents Klinklang from doing jack-all is that its movepool is utter shit. Again, Fighting/Flying is already genius (it was unresisted before freaking Aegislash if I'm correct) so Hawlucha immediately has a leg up.
Zapdos, Rotom, Emolga, not unresisted but still good

I can see this move being used with 20 more BP. It's "cool" but the damage is negligible (only something like increased priority can justify such a weak power) and it is more or less a howl. Better off running any boost move that +2 or +1 in multiple stats.

On a side note, this move seem to be based on a childhood game in which both parties gradually taking turns punching harder and harder at each others shoulders. It was a painful game/childhood :\

I'm about to start running tests on 5.5 so I'll report back when I've got some solid data. Of course it's going to be a Cleaner set so I'm hoping this works.

As someone mentioned this move seems better on stall teams where a bulky mon can take advantage of the passive stat increases with good healing, rather than sacrificing a vital slot solely on raising your At. It sounds awesomr on a Rest Talk set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)