Power Whip Miss

[Overview]
Basically this team is meant to take hits and deal decent damage back, simple strategy, and it's worked pretty well so far. Defensive core in Tangrowth/Slowking, i feel i should use Slowking over Slowbro because it's going to take the special hits that Tangrowth can't, plus it looks cooler. I try to sweep with Missy after a while, Rotom and Nidoking are there to cover weaknesses, and Uxie to lay sneaky pebbles.

Tangrowth (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Sleep Powder
- Power Whip
- Earthquake
This bulky mofo can take pretty much anything physical aimed at it, and then try to get a sleep. This thing can actually deal out acceptable damage against the right pokemon, like it beats Max Def Chansey. The real reason to use it though is to switch out, 33% HP whenever you switch, Regenerator is a boss ability.

Slowking (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Scald
- Fire Blast
- Slack Off
- Psychic

And the other half of my Defensive core. Two Regenerator pokemon=potential for extremely long battles, early on i had a 300 turn battle wearing down a team entirely by switching. Scald and Psychic are required STAB, and Fire Blast is for stuff like Venusaur, or Steels. Slack Off is great instant recovery.

Mismagius (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute

Mismagius is such a babe, I'm not about that beastiality crap, but she's hot. Anyways, the point of Missy is to sweep really hard after some things that could stop her sweep are removed. This particular Mismagius has problems with bulky pokes that can break her Subs, like Tangrowth maybe, and Max Special Defense Chansey will stall out Life Orb damage.

Rotom-H @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Trick

This guy' been MVP in a lot of my matches, getting eviolite from walls, OHKOing switch-ins, all around good poke. Overheat misses, Overheat misses a lot. you guys have heard of Stone-miss? that describes my experience with Overheat, although when it does hit, it hits HARD. I KO Rhyperior with it, not sure if it's an OHKO without rocks, but I know I've beaten many Rhyperior with Overheat.

Nidoking (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 4HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Standard Nidoking, have amazing coverage with the attacks listed. The only pokemon I've had problems with are the three Water/Ground Pokemon, Gastrodon in particular, as Swampert and Quagsire aren't used much in UU. So while I was laddering a while back, I had forgotten to put EV's on it, so I don't know how good it actually is, but it didn't suck.

Mamoswine (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Snow Cloak
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock

As much as I like Uxie, it just wasn't hitting anything, and I know I'm out a cleric, I've gained instant pressure when i send this out as a lead. Mamoswine hits hard, and it hits hard neutrally agianst the tier. Unforunately it does not hit Shedinja, (which I might consider adding to this team), but if I get rocks up and manage to keep them up, I don't have to worry about that adorable ninjabug ruining my day. I love when the opponent runs a taunt lead, because I just pummel them until dead or they switch, it's not hard to get Mamo back on the field to set up rocks. I also love having another Ground type on the team because sometimes switching in Nidoking predicting an electric attack is risky, but sash+priority makes this a non issue. And if I do come in on an electric attack i get rocks up for free.

Previous Mons

Holy fuck, this team is amazing, I love the Tangking core, might have to try that out for myself. My only real problem with this team is it's lack of physical attackers Rating: 9.5/10

Yeah that's the main problem I've run into, if Tangrowth dies, I have no way to inflict physical damage, I'm thinking of replacing Uxie with something that deals damage and lays Stealth Rock. Thanks for the rate!

Mamo was in there to begin with, but it didn't do its job very well as an attacker, might be better with this updated version and Stealth Rocks, I'll try it. Golem and Rhyperior are too slow, and both have 4X weaknesses to threats to me team, and Donphan is meh, basically Uxie without Heal Bell.

Crazy thought: Why not try Sludge Wave over Fire Blast on Nidoking? Almost every Steel type in the tier is hit harder by Earth Power, and almost every Grass type in the tier is hit harder by Sludge Wave. You only miss out on coverage against Bug types, but they're covered pretty well already by Mismagius and Rotom-H. Sludge Wave is a powerful STAB attack that can be better against Levitators such as Azelf and Uxie, whilst also hitting defensive Grass types like Celebi much harder.

Never occured to me to use it, you bring up a very good point as Celebi is a ****ing **** ***** I hate it. Yeah I'll give it a try.

Hey this is a really cool UU team. Your team is very solid, but it does have a couple of problems. Faster threats such as Azelf, Crobat, Raikou, Weavile, and even Scarf Heracross are going to be extremely hard to play around. Weavile is probably the biggest threat. It's capable of OHKOing everything on your team barring Uxie who can't come in at all, and Rotom-H who is KOd after Stealth Rock. You also rely on Tricking Chansey with Rotom-h to beat it, which is a fairly obvious move in general. It walls pretty much everyone on your team. Mismagius can setup on it, but due to Life Orb, Chansey actually wins if you attack it.

To help with the Chansey problem, you could just try running Toxic Spikes on Nidoking over Fire Blast, and then changing Mismagius to a Leftovers set. Fire Blast is generally the most useless attack on Nidoking, and on a team comprised of mostly special attackers, Toxic Spikes is sure to be more useful. Registeel could be pretty nice over Uxie. It retains the bulk, but with a lot more useful resistances, and can check Azelf, Crobat, Raikou, and Weavile very well. Finally, I think running a Scarfer in Rotom-H's slot would be pretty useful for a 'catch all' to the faster boosting threats. Scarf Victini seems like it would fit your style. V-Create from Scarf Victini is actually almost as strong as a Specs Overheat from Rotom-H, and with Victini, you retain the nice FWG synergy your team had. Good Luck!

To help with the Chansey problem, I added Mamoswine in place of Uxie, so i retain Stealth Rock support, and it has offensive presence, but really my main Chansey counter is Tangrowth, she can't break my subs, and it's physical so it doesn't mind having no investment in attack. This is my first RMT so I don't know the protocol for updates, do I just change it and add a previous versions section?

You can just change it and say that you added new changes (although you might want to detail what the changes were)

Just update the original post with your changes. The thing about Mamoswine to deal with Chansey is that it needs a Choice Band to manage a 2HKO. Otherwise Chansey will just defeat you with Seismic Toss + Softboiled. Tangrowth also just gets stalled out of Power Whips, so barring a crit it's not getting past Chansey any time soon.

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
I think Leech Seed on Tangrowth would be a welcome addition, even if you have to drop Substitute for it. Tangrowths ridiculous bulk forces a lot of switches as it is, and with only Regenerator to replenish your HP, you may fall short on occasion against things you absolutely need to check. With Stealth Rock down, you have an unbelievable weakness to Weavile. Swords Dance Weavile literally 2HKOs everything on your team, even without the boost. If it gets a Swords Dance, you can pretty much say gg.

I think Hitmontop somewhere would be the best thing you could do right now, and it also provides you with a way to beat Chansey (which you have trouble with, as someone pointed out before) and even gives you a Rapid Spinner to remove Stealth Rock for Rotom-h as well as Spikes, which are going to trouble Tangrowth and Slowking quite a bit. As of right now i'd consider Hitmontop over Mismagius. It seems to me that Mismagius doesn't do a whole lot for your team. Since you aren't Spikestacking, having a spinblocker on your team isn't crucial, and it seems right now that Mismagius is just adding to your Weavile/Chansey weakness.

Hitmontop @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
Adamant, 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
-Pursuit
-Mach Punch
-Close Combat
-Rapid Spin

Pursuit should take care of the annoying ghosts that try to prevent Hitmontop from spinning, and Mach Punch picks off weakened Ice/Steel/Rock etc pokemon.

The only other troublesome pokemon i noticed was Scyther, as Choice Band Scyther 2HKOs everything barring Rotom-h. It might be worthwhile to run a Defensively minded Rotom-h with Will O Wisp to deal with Scyther as well as consistently wall pokemon like Life Orb Nidoking, as Rotom-h resists all of its attacks.

Another possible fix if you find yourself losing too much offense would be to replace Mamoswine with a Stealth Rocker that can defeat Scyther easier. A pokemon that comes to mind is Stealth Rock Rhyperior. Rhyperior keeps the Ground typing that you value so much on Mamoswine and can set up Stealth Rock and easily Roar out things like Sub Roost Zapdos and scout for Rhyperior switch ins. Common switch ins like Celebi are easily manhandled by Rotom-h (or you could even run Megahorn to hit on the switch). Rhyperior also provides you with a better switch into Victini V Create, Choiced Stone Edges and other physical attacks you could not rely on Mamoswine to switch into.

Thanks for the input! However, Missy has won me many a game, It isn't exactly hard to set-up one Nasty Plot as I already threaten a lot without boosting, I might try Rhyperior though as Mamo does seem to miss a lot of KOs without a Band. Maybe I'll change out Nidoking for Hitmontop, I rarely end up in matches that rely on him, other then to suck up Tspikes.

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
Thanks for the input! However, Missy has won me many a game, It isn't exactly hard to set-up one Nasty Plot as I already threaten a lot without boosting, I might try Rhyperior though as Mamo does seem to miss a lot of KOs without a Band. Maybe I'll change out Nidoking for Hitmontop, I rarely end up in matches that rely on him, other then to suck up Tspikes.
Hitmontop over Nidoking works just as well (if not better, i was just hesitant to replace Nidoking because he's your source of immediate offense) and with Rapid Spin you still remove Toxic Spikes so you have no problems with removing it

I used the same core on a DW team for a while, it's a monster. I suggest putting yawn on Slowking, it's great for momentum, stopping setups, and giving a free setup turn to Mamo or Missy. It could interfere with sleep powder, though. Also, some sort of revenge killer would be good (scarfed Nidoking?).

Never occured to me to use Yawn, but right now I dont have Nidoking or Mamoswine on, I'm testing Hitmontop with the old Uxie I started with, so far it's working out great. Nidoking was meh, not bulky enough to take Scalds from Milotic or something, having a spinner on the team really makes battles easier to play.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)