Pre-battle team selection and the simulator/Wi-Fi gap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Here is another issue that I have seen discussed in #dreamworld a few times, but which has only been given a passing mention here. However, as it is one of the most significant rule changes in B/W, I feel that is warrants discussion.

Please note: This is not a discussion of game mechanics under any accepted definition of the term. It is purely a discussion of rules, as either outcome can be justified with "simulators and judges," just like the timer and cancel button, without changing the game itself.

As you well know, B/W cartridge battles (except for IR battles, but they limit you to 3v3 level 50 with item clause forced on) now reveal each player's team to the other, and allow both players the opportunity to change the order of their team before the battle begins. We need to decide whether or not this rule change will be part of our 5th-generation metagame.

I believe that it should be. It has been brought up that Smogon's rules as they relate to simulator play should not serve to alienate the Wi-Fi community, something with which I, as an active member of that community, wholeheartedly agree. Whereas I feel that on both of the other issues where this point was raised, deviation from the Wi-Fi norm is insignificant (virtually all of Wi-Fi wishes that acid weather did not exist, and the typical response is to play normally and just "deal with it" when it comes up; and I don't think I have ever seen anyone violate sleep clause unless they were new enough to not know of the rule), I feel that in this case a decision to not implement pre-battle team selection would create a significant gap.

Barring some form of "gentleman's agreement" not to look, it is impossible to remove team selection from the Wi-Fi, or even local battle, arena while keeping our standard format of 6v6. That being said, I do not believe we can rely on the argument that people will follow the honor system to remove team selection from simulator play and maintain consistency with our Wi-Fi player base. As competitive pokemon players, we can be expected to take any and all opportunities to gain an edge over our opponents. This includes mutually viewing teams before a match (which would, indeed, give an advantage to both players that they did not have before), as well as the possible violation of any gentleman's agreement that was created, because such a violation cannot possibly be proven.

Since one mode of play would have team selection and the other would not, it is possible (and, indeed, entirely likely) that two entirely different playstyles will evolve as a result. The 4th-gen concept of scouting will undoubtedly be alive and well on the simulators, but is not nearly so crucial in an environment where you already know what you're up against. Indeed, with the dizzyingly vast number of threats in 5th-gen, knowing what an opponent has may serve to mediate some of that variety and prevent it from becoming overwhelming. A player could not reasonably prepare for every threat in 4th-gen, a problem that can only get worse this time around. However, knowing what they are fighting ahead of time allows a player to better manage their resources throughout the battle and give themselves a fighting chance where they may have otherwise been swept. Perhaps Latias or Salamence would not have been so broken last time around if you knew you would be facing them from turn 1.

So how do we proceed from here? We could take the PO route and create separate ladders for both playstyles, but that leaves unanswered the question of what we support in our official tournaments. We could, as many have, dismiss this as uncompetitive and ignore it, but I do not see the logic in doing so - both players have access to the same information about each other, so neither gains an advantage. I feel that the most responsible course of action is to implement this change to maintain consistency.

I was waiting until the appropriate time in Philip's "steps" to bring it up, but since it has been brought up...

I've been getting mixed messages about what happens in local battles. Compounding this is the seemingly arbitrary rule distinction between the Dream World ladders and the Wi-Fi ladders. I take it from this post that the team revelation / rearrangement mechanic is in local battles as well? But then what's going on in PO seems to suggest the opposite.

In any case, if local battles use the same mechanic, then that would be a pretty major concept to ignore when making simulator rules. That is why in this case I would have to call for the same mechanic to be implemented into "recognized" ladders and tournaments. On the other hand, if local battles use the old mechanic, then I don't really have an opinion either way. Each leads to different situations; Wi-Fi is probably more "realistic" but both are legitimate IMO.

EDIT:
Code:
171223 <+capefeather> if it's forced on local battles then there's not much we can do
171437 <+AJC> its forced on all except IR battles
171445 <+AJC> which are 3v3 and capped at level 50
171451 <+AJC> from what i heard
171829 <+capefeather> IR?
171904 <+AJC> basicly local DS wireless link
171935 <+capefeather> oh
171944 <+AJC> its similar to the union rooms of FR/LG/Emerald
172001 <+AJC> where you could only battle with 3 level 30 mons
I consider this my answer.

Syberia

[custom user title]
It does indeed happen in local battles as well. The only scenario in which it does not happen is IR battles, which are limited to level 50 and 3v3.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm in support of making this part of competitive play from now on. If people are strongly opposed to it, you can make a justification based on the use of a "judge" that covers the top screen, but that would require an honor system for Wi-Fi as previously stated.

I feel that even though you can justify not including it, the change will actually be a benefit to competitive battling as a whole, and it decreases this silly emphasis we have on versatile dedicated leads.

Syberia

[custom user title]
I was waiting until the appropriate time in Philip's "steps" to bring it up, but since it has been brought up...
I thought that this would most closely fit under "simulator mechanics," in which case the appropriate time to bring it up is... now.

locopoke

Banned deucer.
Disregarding the fact that we technically can't avoid this since it is forced on local and Wi-Fi battles, I think that this rule is a great addition to the singles metagame and makes the game more enjoyable. It decreases the importance of team match-ups and brings more mind games into the mix. Both players knowing each other's teams forces a higher level of play. One person can't play recklessly and end up scoring an easy win because he has one Pokemon that the opponent is weak to. I'm in full support of making this part of competitive play from here on out.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I couldn't agree with locopoke more here. Team matchup is a huge part of DP simply because you have to prepare for every threat AND keep that preparation alive just in case, so there are a lot of cases where you lose to stupid shit because you managed to sac one thing early in the game that you didn't know was going to be super important in the lategame. You can scout out threats, and it forces both players to play more intelligently rather than go "oh my opponent sac'd his gyarados counter and then i brought out gyarados and won". It's the perfect addition to a game with a mounting list of threats to prepare for, and I couldn't support including it more.

I also agree with Locopoke.

I wouldn't mind much either way, but if we don't have to change something like this, I don't see the need to. At worst (or best, if you like adding shit) it adds another mind game.

I can't really say much about OU play since admittedly the 5th generation matches I've played so far have been Little Cup, but I'm a fan of this in both principle and in practice. As locopoke said, it really helps to decrease the reliance on team matchup that was pretty defining last gen.

Not implementing this in standard play I feel would be going against-the-grain, so to speak. Possible, but we'd be going out of our way maintain tradition for the sake of "competitive" reasons, when we could simply stick to what GameFreak has given us for simplicities sake and adopt what I feel will be a refreshing change. Unlike Sleep Clause, this is by no means detrimental, so I say we simulate the Wi-Fi battles.

I'm not sure I can think of any case for not showing teams and allowing team order changes before the battle. Obviously the side that wants simulators to be a more streamlined (but otherwise duplicate) version of the physical game experience would want it in. As for the side that wants the most competitive metagame possible, I agree with locopoke. I'd also add that I think this will encourage creative or atypical movesets; if a switch-in can't gain a surprise advantage anymore, there's a greater incentive for a moveset to be able to do so. To me that sounds like it can't help but benefit variety, which benefits competitiveness.

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
I don't see why this shouldn't be implemented, seeing as if we're trying to stick to the game mechanics then this is a logical feature to change. However, I think there could be an option for people who would rather not see each others teams because they just like that way of battling better? Maybe just agree beforehand and rely on the honor system.

I disagree with those saying that this will introduce a new level of skill though, as long term planning and keeping your late-game sweeper "hidden", in my opinion, is part of battling strategy. If you build a team around a certain threat, you try to eliminate its counters. If you can do that more effectively when your opponent doesn't know you have it and they end up throwing away their counter, then that's their fault. It does add a new level of mindgames however, and perhaps people will play more cautiously when they know what threats they need to absolutely keep alive for what situations.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd say it's a different skillset that's introduced rather than "more" skill. I think it's an interesting change which would be welcome. Unless there's significant opposition, I don't see why we shouldn't start using it. There are a lot of good points made for it in this topic.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
Wasn't everyone complaining about how Gen IV was all about team matchup? Well, now that's been taken care of, this will bring skill back into the game.

I wholeheartedly agree with Locopoke's post, and we should implement this as part of our standard ruleset.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Most of the points have been made, but I'm in agreement that it makes sense to go with the new mechanics rather than clinging to the no team ordering/seeing format simply because it's what we are accustomed to.

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Implementing this feature is the obvious choice. It mimics cartridge play without making the game worse; in fact, it probably makes the game better since it increases the amount of available information.

There is no reason to not follow the cartridge mechanics in this case.

Echoing the sentiments of others that this is a great idea. DPPt was on the brink if not over the edge with variation and being unable to counter everything, so Gen 5 will likely make variation simply too much to prepare for. Also, this new mechanic can really encourage strategy and eliminate a ton of guessing that has to be done in tight situations.

I'm sorry to say, but I'm against this. In my opinion, the advantage handed to the players doesn't make you better, just gives "a baby a new toy to play with". I like pokemon because you never know what can come out next, bringing excitement to competitive play we know today. Its like when you watch a pokemon battle on TV, or walking through grass in game; there is no sign saying a Pidgey is right in front of you make your Pikachu lead. Are you serious? Oh cool, you have more mind games in addition to the incessant mind games you have now. Don't take me wrong I like mind games, and believe they can truly measure skill with good players. But, I also like improvisation under pressure, not a detailed plan of what my opponent will use next and what minute changes I have to make to the plan because I know the team and every possible switch-in. Again, seriously? Why focus on this when hax takes away more skill in a battle then team matchup. I'm not saying to take away hax just trying to make my point. I understand we're trying to reach WIFI play as close as possible, but we're also trying to make the game more enjoyable not a chess game with luck. As you can see we're not even making pokemon based on the skill because we still have hax. We try to get close, but that is it. If I want to play WIFI, then why bother playing on a simulator and not my own DS. Despite my strong opposition to revealing the teams, I think having a seperate ladder would be cool for the curious; I myself would find myself laddering here because of the increase in mind games, but I wouldn't like to play like this in the official tournaments.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I disagree with those saying that this will introduce a new level of skill though, as long term planning and keeping your late-game sweeper "hidden", in my opinion, is part of battling strategy. If you build a team around a certain threat, you try to eliminate its counters. If you can do that more effectively when your opponent doesn't know you have it and they end up throwing away their counter, then that's their fault. It does add a new level of mindgames however, and perhaps people will play more cautiously when they know what threats they need to absolutely keep alive for what situations.
Then that's their fault? Really? There are >600 Pokemon now... and you expect someone to just magically know that by virtue of your other 5 Pokemon, that your last Pokemon is X Sweeper and they need to keep Y Counter alive at all costs. Come on man, that's stupid and you know it.

Most everyone agrees that team matchups and starting with less information makes for a less enjoyable game... that most of the best matches any person has had are on repeats on the ladder i.e. matches where both teams are already known. Not only does implementing this hold true to cartridge mechanics, but in all honesty it's healthy for the game. Now you'll have to work to kill my Infernape counter rather than me carelessly tossing it away early game because I've seen 5/6 of your Pokemon and I make a poor guess that your last isn't Infernape.

Anyway, as someone who has laddered extensively on PO I can say I've had nothing but good experiences with this new facet of Pokemon.

Most everyone agrees that team matchups and starting with less information makes for a less enjoyable game
Eh... I for one, if we're talking about personal enjoyment, would prefer the traditional method of hidden teams with 6 vs 6 battles. I'm just leaning towards replicating the cartridge because I know from experience that in many instances you need to experience change before you are comfortable enough to enjoy it. I feel as though many people here share the same sentiments.

We might not like this new change initially, but eventually we'll begin to really enjoy it, and competitively speaking there is nothing wrong with what GameFreak has done in this regard.

I personally don't like this element of the game but it does have it's merits which have been mentioned before.To be honest I would include it simply because it would emulate cartridge play which is what Smogon generally aims to do in the first place.

Conversations I saw on both PO and IRC led me to believe that the opposite reaction was more likely. I guess I was wrong.

@ ENZ0: If Game Freak wants PvP battles to have both teams revealed, then Game Freak wants PvP battles to have both teams revealed. Game Freak trumps the anime, and since this is about PvP, PvP Game Freak trumps PvC Game Freak as well. I'm sure most people would heavily disagree on two of your major points as well. Simulators are a convenience, not something different from the game, and a lot of people DO want a chess-like experience out of Pokémon.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
I've played extensively on PO with this and I actually don't think it's bad. Like SDS said, it removes some of that team matchup element and makes it easier to beat threats, but at the same time I know without having to waste time scouting exactly what your counters to <threat> are and I can formulate my gameplan before each side is 3 pokes down and the game already decided.

Another effect is to decrease the popularity of suicide leads, because you can just swap your lead for something that beats it - e.g. if you have an Azelf lead, I might bring in Heatran (which, especially with Balloon, beats a huge amount of the Dragon and Ground-based BW metagame 1 on 1). You either have an unfavourable lead matchup, or your Azelf has to come in later - probably not for free, and probably not with an intact Sash given the popularity of Sand and continuing ubiquity of Stealth Rock. Similarly, you can use the likes of Scizor or Tyranitar, that you may not be leading with, to threaten Deoxys-S, which might actually balance it (shock/horror!).

It's a double-edged sword and, while it does have a moderate impact on the way the game is played (and the way you set up your team) it doesn't completely radicalise anything or unbalance stuff. It's part of the game, it doesn't have a significant negative impact on gameplay however you look at it and I really don't see any reason why it shouldn't be implemented.

I would like our official server to support both metagames on separate ladders. One of the best (or worst, if you look at it from a workload perspective through my eyes...) things that BW brought us is the huge variety of metagames we can choose from, and I don't plan on restricting any of them so long as it's possible to simulate.

I also wanted to point out the hypocrisy of some users in this thread. Apparently some people like to support not needing to strictly follow in-game mechanics, but then use the "in-game mechanics restriction" argument to support their other preferences. Not to mention that this is hardly an "unavoidable" feature. It's very easy to justify not implementing this by having the simulator act as a judge. In other words, imagine that you and your opponent both hand a judge (the simulator) your DSes and you both tell him in private which Pokemon you want to lead your party. The judge makes the selection for you, and you don't have to ever see your opponent's lineup. Simple.

As for which version official tournaments will support, well, that's up to the Tournament Directors of Smogon (oh look, I'm one of those!). We'll discuss it and let you all know when we decide. I think this topic has served its purpose, and am now going to close it. Thanks for bringing this up Syberia.

I'm re-opening this due to some people recently speaking up on the matter on IRC. I closed this topic only 28hrs after it was created, and I'll admit that was too soon to close. Let's here what others have to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)