Primal's Totally Original Art Thread

I've been prepping for a vacation, so between that and work it's been a bit difficult to sketch anything worth posting (for me at least)

1605332094546.png

Character design exercise with more exaggerated shapes and features to convey character (aka me speakey the shape language) with a bit of a pass at a colored light source

1605333227227.png

Inking practice with my Pentel brush pen

1605332626753.png

Recently started teaching myself how to use watercolors, this is my second attempt at them (absolutely in love with the brush pen I use to ink btw)

1605332843397.png

Pose practice sketch so I don't get rusty
I plan on doing daily traditional sketches while on vacation, if mobile allows me to upload then expect to see some, and any suggestions are appreciated!

Attachments

MiniArchitect

Detail Disoriented
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Good on you for getting those done; I sure wouldn’t have the discipline to do any artwork on my vacation. Also, I meant to say it sooner, but I LOVE that kicking pose from your last post! You get a good sense of the character’s momentum, and their leg extends just far enough out that it feels powerful, but not unnatural.

Good on you for getting those done; I sure wouldn’t have the discipline to do any artwork on my vacation. Also, I meant to say it sooner, but I LOVE that kicking pose from your last post! You get a good sense of the character’s momentum, and their leg extends just far enough out that it feels powerful, but not unnatural.
Thanks man, I've been really trying to improve my poses recently, and doing daily sketches is just habit for me at this point haha, helps keep me from getting rusty
IMG_20201124_000811.jpg

Used a combination of watercolors and colored pencils, as well as a gel pen for the highlight

Apologies for the disappearance
1610633387036.png

Working on a commission

1610633501660.png

Quick cooldown sketch of a Mosasaur and her newborn
1610633624677.png

Drew a design from one of Chris-chan's old things (don't google if you aren't prepped for weird stuff)

Was brought on to be the colorist/character designer for an Ark webcomic, meet Jim Bob the Yutyrannus

I really am sorry for not posting here more often, art or otherwise as Smogon's community has been good to me, introduced me to people I'd consider good friends. The past couple of months have seen my health decline steadily until it came to a head within the past few days, things seem to only be prepping to get worse as well. I'll live but getting to the end of this will be a chore.
I'm going to do my best to post art here more often though, art is my one outlet and this community is filled with so many creative talents that drive me to improve my own skills that I feel I at least owe it to those people to be more active.

MiniArchitect

Detail Disoriented
I love the shading on the Braixen! (or Delphox?) The spiky, frayed edges on the shadows give it such a striking look. The Yutyrannus is adorable, too; I love his little blep, the big eyes, and the texture of the furry coat. The other two pieces are great too, of course!

Regarding the ramble: as much as we all love seeing your art, you shouldn't feel obligated to post regular updates. You don't owe anything to any of us, and you aren't required to participate in an online community at all times, whether that's Smogon or any other, even if you have friends in that community. This is just a place to share art for the fun of it and contribute to larger projects if we feel like it. I'm sure you know just as well as I do, but turning your art into an obligation is a good way to make that art less enjoyable to make.

If you're getting sick right now, I really think you should just take it easy. Your health is more important than anything else here, and it's scary to get sick now with Covid still ongoing across the world. If you still want to make art just for fun and to keep yourself active, then absolutely do it! But please just do your best to stay safe and healthy; we'll always be here to enjoy your art whenever you can post it :heart:

I love the shading on the Braixen! (or Delphox?) The spiky, frayed edges on the shadows give it such a striking look. The Yutyrannus is adorable, too; I love his little blep, the big eyes, and the texture of the furry coat. The other two pieces are great too, of course!

Regarding the ramble: as much as we all love seeing your art, you shouldn't feel obligated to post regular updates. You don't owe anything to any of us, and you aren't required to participate in an online community at all times, whether that's Smogon or any other, even if you have friends in that community. This is just a place to share art for the fun of it and contribute to larger projects if we feel like it. I'm sure you know just as well as I do, but turning your art into an obligation is a good way to make that art less enjoyable to make.

If you're getting sick right now, I really think you should just take it easy. Your health is more important than anything else here, and it's scary to get sick now with Covid still ongoing across the world. If you still want to make art just for fun and to keep yourself active, then absolutely do it! But please just do your best to stay safe and healthy; we'll always be here to enjoy your art whenever you can post it :heart:
Thank you for the kind words, truly. The support this community has shown me has not only pushed me to improve my art but is the exact reason I feel compelled to try and post here as regularly as I can manage. Art is my outlet for my frustrations, stress, and more or less serves as a way I can get away from everything, hence why I tend to post sketch dumps (and why I should hopefully have stuff to post from here on)
anon-fox transparent.png

The finished commission, done using the official DC vintage printing palette

1610695961860.png
1610696146201.png

Reworking an older design called a Wraith Raptor, based on a mix of Deinocheirus, Theriznosaurus, and Utah Raptor with a bit of a turkey vulture thrown in

1610696225485.png

Concept sketches for a baby version of a comic character, still tweaking body proportions, etc.

MiniArchitect

Detail Disoriented
Thank you for the kind words, truly. The support this community has shown me has not only pushed me to improve my art but is the exact reason I feel compelled to try and post here as regularly as I can manage. Art is my outlet for my frustrations, stress, and more or less serves as a way I can get away from everything, hence why I tend to post sketch dumps (and why I should hopefully have stuff to post from here on)
View attachment 308046
The finished commission, done using the official DC vintage printing palette

View attachment 308047View attachment 308048
Reworking an older design called a Wraith Raptor, based on a mix of Deinocheirus, Theriznosaurus, and Utah Raptor with a bit of a turkey vulture thrown in

View attachment 308049
Concept sketches for a baby version of a comic character, still tweaking body proportions, etc.
Understood, just make sure you don't push yourself too hard!

The finished commission looks fantastic! Really cool choice on the color palette, and I like the yellow streaks of lighting on the red tufts of fur, the blue rim lighting, and the screenprinting dots that add an extra sense of texture. Awesome work! And of course, the sketches are very nice and energetic, too.

Hello hello
1612239346768.png
Mokele'Mbembe concept

1612239496717.png

Still trying to improve backgrounds, concept work for a comic. Actually been having fun with this one

1612242198148.png

Slightly old character concept I never showed off before.

1612242273541.png

Yep still working on this thing

My health is about the same as it was when I was hospitalized, except I'm starting to experience more frequent and intense seizures. I, unfortunately, don't have many options besides fast-tracking it to a neurologist though luckily none of the tests I underwent in the hospital showed signs of me being in life-threatening danger.
It's mostly just been draining physically and emotionally, hence the greater abundance of WIPS and sketches than usual.

Still open to requests should anyone feel the need

Guess who's super not dead?
Newtron Limited Palette .png

Tried something a bit different from my usual inking process, let the lines be looser and thicker than normal. A bit more akin to a brush pen actually, and a limited color palette was just for funsies
Screenshot 2021-04-29 193555.png

(These are actually my pet geese, sweet little babies)

More dino stuff for a project me and my friend are working on, it's more or less just me designing dinos with traits based off my pet birds

Older concept for Newtron, still undecided on giving him four or five fingers

Oooooold art from when I was in high school

And finally, a wip of a gift for Kaiju Bunny! Totally not just an excuse to practice feathering and line art in general

Now entering ultra not dead territory:

Salazzle oc (so sue me I'm proud of the coloring on this one)

Goomba partner for a Paper Mario fan project! I wasn't given much to go off of so I thought of a foreman in charge of rebuilding the kingdom after Bowser attacks

Sketches of one of my favorite pokemon lines

Concept sketches for the webcomic I'm developing, the bottom one was also a demonstration for a quick comic-bookish coloring style
I'm hoping to become more active on here, things got a little screwy so I haven't had much time for Smogon but I do miss this place

Been quite some time hasn't it? I've had a lot of personal things come up as well as generally questioning if it was worth it to keep posting my stuff but I couldn't bring myself to abandon ship just yet!

Little bit of practice with inking/coloring techniques using one spooky boi

Was trying to interpret Mr.Mime in my style, not quite sure how to feel on this one (it's the eyes I swear)

yo these are great!! definitely keep posting :heart:
Very late but thank you very much, Clefairy. I have some bits and bobs to share

Bit of a progression on a design I've been working on, will post the finished piece ASAP

Cincept sketch for the mascot character for my side business selling yard eggs and baby poultry

Various Pokemon sketches related to a project of mine

I return
Figure I may as well post my usual process for drawing things, here we gooooo:

I have duplicates of each brush at smaller sizes so I can switch to them for finer detailing since I hate tweaking settings on a brush I'm used to

The initial sketch is loose, focusing on getting the general shapes and feel down before committing to any fine details, this is meant to be a style shift/experiment for a personal project of mine. I used American bullfrogs as a reference for Bulbasaur's body shape and general anatomy while still trying to stay faithful to Sugimori's more simplistic design for him.

Once I finish roughing out my pencils I start to refine them, adding more definition and value to help me during the inking process. During this stage, I try to make a mental note of where I want the light to be coming from, and how heavy my lines should be so they don't muddy the overall silhouette or hamper the design (this can be a real problem with how I tend to handle inking my art, more on that later)

Now we get to the inking portion! This is both the most fun and the most frustrating part for me as I love playing with my inking brush, but I have to make a lot of judgment calls on what details to add or take away while lining the piece. I try to add hatching and block in shadows to suit the feeling I'm going for, if people are interested I may make a tutorial for my inking techniques, limited though they may be.

As I go I experiment loosely with colors, blocking in shadows and tweaking certain aspects while still inking. For this project, I'm using colors from the Gen 3 sprites as a base to preserve a sense of authenticity, as well as using a pseudo-watercolor/alcohol marker style to homage Sugimori's early artwork for the franchise.

The end result after I refine my colors and clean up the piece. Considering I usually can't draw Bulbasaur to save my life I think it turned out halfway decently, all thoughts welcome!

Hello all, it's been quite some time since I've posted anything here. I've had quite a few major life changes since my last time here, almost all of which have been for the better thankfully, though I have precious little free time to spend online (in other words I'm getting old) due in no small part to my job and fiance taking a lot of it up hahaha!

While I haven't been posting here I have been making art in the meantime so without further ado:

A piece of concept art I made for a webcomic I've had in the works for a while!

A gift I'd made for my fiance, tried to imitate the style you'd find on band posters circa 2010 in Hot Topic and had this put onto a pair of ear gauges for her!

A gift for a friend of mine, drew her discord avatar as a Yoshi!

Reworking one of my first oc's ever, older art of him seen below!

Same character circa 2014-ish and 2020 respectively, honestly kind of baffles me how much my style has changed since then!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)