Sports Pro Wrestling Discussion Thread

WWE Backlash 2023 is tomorrow (or today, depending on when you're reading this) and it should be a fun show.

The card isn't super stacked, though we have a rare Brock Lesnar B-show match. I think Bad Bunny vs Damian Priest will end up being the match of the night, as the stipulation allows a lot of room for crazy stuff to happen with the warring Judgment Day and LWO factions. The Bloodline vs SamiKO & Riddle match should be good as well. Theory's gonna get thrown around by two big guys but somehow sneak out a win and Rhea/Bianca will inevitably retain their titles and do a title swap on Monday or something.

I have no idea how to feel about Seth vs Omos except that Seth better win lol. This match was announced super randomly and the subsequent build didn't do much to make it feel important. I also have no idea what is going to happen in the Cody Rhodes vs Brock Lesnar match - it could be crazy or really stupid... or somewhere in the middle.

One thing that is guaranteed is that the crowd will be hot for pretty much everything - as they were fantastic on SmackDown. Probably the second best SD crowd of the year behind the pre-Elimination Chamber crowd in Montreal.

PLS PLS PLS WIN IYO [she lost :( ]

Last edited:

AEW has announced a new weekly show that begins on June 17th and will air every Saturday night! This has been one of the worst kept secrets in wrestling lately, but it is nice to finally have it confirmed.

A lot of the rumor/speculation is that it'll serve as a brand split of sorts, which AEW has been desperately in need of just because of how big their roster is. Them having to rotate what talent would be featured week-to-week cooled off stories and wrestlers a bit sometimes. Hopefully this new show will solve that problem and give the talent consistent time to shine. The Press Release referring to stars like Powerhouse Hobbs, Andrade El Idolo, Thunder Rosa, Miro, and Samoa Joe as "headliners" is a VERY encouraging sign to me. I'm definitely looking forward to it!

CM Punk returning as the main star of it (which still isn't confirmed and might have hit a snag recently) will be the biggest reason to tune in. Though it's not the end of the world if the deal falls through because Punk finds something else to cry about.

TAM NAKANO IS NOW BOTH THE WORLD OF STARDOM AND WONDER OF STARDOM CHAMPION!

It was a pretty shocking and divisive booking decision especially since Mina Shirakawa had just won the White Belt last month, but I'm happy for Tam. They subverted everyone's expectation that it would go to a time limit draw and I'm not so sure that was the right call. We'll have to see where it goes from here, but MIRAI challenging Tam for the White Belt afterwards is already a bad start.

SETH ROLLINS IS THE NEW WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION AND ASUKA IS THE NEW RAW WOMEN'S CHAMPION!

It's about damn time that Bianca's forever reign ended and I'm sooo happy it was Asuka who got to end it. It should've happened at WrestleMania but WWE is obsessed with setting new records...

ALSO

The Bloodline is totally fine.

Last edited:

TAM NAKANO IS NOW BOTH THE WORLD OF STARDOM AND WONDER OF STARDOM CHAMPION!

It was a pretty shocking and divisive booking decision especially since Mina Shirakawa had just won the White Belt last month, but I'm happy for Tam. They subverted everyone's expectation that it would go to a time limit draw and I'm not so sure that was the right call. We'll have to see where it goes from here, but MIRAI challenging Tam for the White Belt afterwards is already a bad start.

SETH ROLLINS IS THE NEW WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION AND ASUKA IS THE NEW RAW WOMEN'S CHAMPION!

It's about damn time that Bianca's forever reign ended and I'm sooo happy it was Asuka who got to end it. It should've happened at WrestleMania but WWE is obsessed with setting new records...

ALSO

The Bloodline is totally fine.
1.The whole point of the new title was that it should be defended full time in WWE and with Rollins now filming the movie, that title is also part time now.
If they rly wanted Rollins to have it, they could have AJ Styles be a transitional champ and have Rollins reclaim the title later imo
2. Ye Bianca's reign shouldn't have ended at WrestleMania. I approve of this move actually. Asuka's great. The reason why I don't think it should have ended at WrestleMania is cuz of the radical way they're presenting Bianca's "streak" even tho it's only 3-0 rn. I think that'll go for a while esp with the way HHH is set on breaking records. I think Bianca will win at WrestleMania until she has a well established win streak and then they'll get rid of it to raise a small star(Well, I thought takers streak would be given to a smaller star, but Brock Lesnar happened so idk tbh)
3. The character work from the Usos and Reigns with the Bloodline shit is amazing.

But Still

CODY SHOULD HAVE FINISHED THE STORY

1.The whole point of the new title was that it should be defended full time in WWE and with Rollins now filming the movie, that title is also part time now.
The filming finished up before Night of Champions. Seth said he's going to be at every Raw going forward. The only thing that might complicate matters is if he's offered more acting roles in the future.

tendokiddo

Banned deucer.
YAHOOO SETH ROLLINS WON THE BELT
Booooo Roman got a golden belt.
MAN, what happened back at NOC was crazy. I can't believe Jimmy had the guts to stand to Roman and kick him 2 times! Glad he's getting a taste of his own medicine, anyone agree?

i miss Lucha Underground - think it'd do well in this wrestling era (ofc issue would be getting the roster they had prior) that was a fun show loved the presentation both in arena and backstage/promotional work.

Yeah I know MLW has it's... angle taking a nod to it and (i'll admit havent seen tons but it was cool the bits I seen) but the OG was *chefs kiss*

Yeah, I loved LU though it started to fall off hard in its last season. Also, their contracts had horrible no-compete clauses that screwed over the talent, which was a bad look for them.

MLW's attempt feels like a cheap imitation of it even though it has a few of the same names - it just can't recapture the magic of the original. I'm not sure if anything would be able to even with a big budget.
oh this i remember well when Puma/Ricochet was fighting with them about it. was def a bad mark on their history (like guys even when you were running it was a seasonal episode thing - terrible business to try and horde ppl, tho ofc i get tryna keep away from bigger companies since indies can't stop ya from working with them, WWE and the like can. still bad taste)

and i agree with you i dont think that magic can be recreated, LU did that masterfully it felt like you were watching almost a wrestling mafia show lmaooo.

Last edited:
Thoughts on these new title designs?

I'm assuming Rhea Ripley is going to be getting a new title as well - probably one that looks like the new World Heavyweight Championship that Seth has but with a white strap like Asuka's.

Edit: Yup, she did.

Last edited:
The card for AEWxNJPW Forbidden Door 2 is starting to take shape with its likely top 4 matches already announced!

The first two matches were already enough to get me insanely hyped for the show but the two World Championship matches have the potential to be excellent too - and what a great chance for Jungle Boy to re-elevate himself after the 4 Pillars feud kinda exposed him as the weakest pillar.

This card is already looking really stacked and knowing TK there's still like 6 or more matches left to be announced! What are your thoughts on Forbidden Door 2 so far?

Who agrees that Dean Ambrose should come back to WWE? And Roman along with Jey, Jimmy, Seth, Ambrose and solo. Let's talk about 'em. Do you think Roman should ditch The Bloodline to reform The Shield along with the Bloodline Members joining them?

No, Mox is doing much better in AEW and seems way happier there. Plus, Roman with the Bloodline and Seth as The Visionary have been some of the best things going in wrestling for the past 2+ years and shouldn't be scrapped just for another Shield nostalgia run. The Shield had their time and now all 3 guys are all bigger stars on their own than they ever were as a group.

Honestly, if all 3 were ever to end up in the same company again, I'd rather see them feud instead of reforming the group. It still blows my mind that WWE wasted the Shield triple threat on a small B-show PPV like Battleground instead of one of the Big 4.

We finally know the whole card for Forbidden Door and it is ridiculously stacked.

Definitely still looking forward to Omega/Ospreay and Bryan/Okada the most, but there is not a bad match on this card (even including the pre-show!)

This could very well be the show of the year.

POST SHOW EDIT: Omega vs Ospreay was AMAZING! Not sure if they topped their match from WK but this was structured differently and definitely came close to if not outright surpassing it.

Last edited:

TheEaterOfBergs

Pro Wrestling is the Best in the World.
Shame that Bryan broke his forearm during his match with Okada but I give him credit for sticking it out for another 10 mins following the break.
Probably a good thing he'll miss Blood and Guts so he doesn't outright explode during the match lol.

Hope he can make All In for a match but I wouldn't be surprised if he has to sit out. It'd be a shame but his health does come first.

For the women? Iyo Sky easily.

For the men? That is honestly a bit harder since all of them have never been a world champion so it's a genuine toss up as to who.

My top 3 rn would be;

1. Damien Priest (furthers dissent with him and Balor, especially if the latter loses to Seth)
2. LA Knight (Self-explanatory, he's red hot right now. Probably the odds on fan favorite to win)
3. Logan Paul (WWE love their social media engagement and nobody would attract the outside crowd more than Paul, plus image the heat if he beats fan favorites like Priest and Knight)

One thing I do hope they do is let the winners breathe with the case. One of the main reasons MiTB doesn't feel as significant anymore is that it's cashed almost immediately. Edge, Ziggler and Seth's Cash-Ins we're memorable because they waited for their moment to strike as opposed to blowing it off quickly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)