Project (Balanced) Hackmons-Deoxys-S

Status
Not open for further replies.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Welcome to the weekly Project (Balanced) Hackmons, where we "investigate" pokemon in the hopes of discovering unique sets, fine tuning old ones, and giving old and forgotten sets a second chance to shine.

Project (Balanced) Hackmons will be updated weekly (every friday) by myself and user DTC.

With all that taken care of, the pokemon we will be investigating this week is...

Deoxys-S

• Fastest Pokemon in the game
  • Perfect Lead
  • Decent Bulk
  • Limited to no offensive prowess
  • Four move Syndrome

Deoxys-S primarily acts as a Spore hazard setter and a Shadow Tag Trickscarf user. Which of these two is better, how do we optimize such sets, or are their even better sets we've yet to discover?

The most effective sets will be added into the OP at the end of the discussion

Deoxys?

Mm.. Sheer Cold is banned.. Run Contrary with Psycho boost, leaf storm, overheat, and Draco meteor.

Mm.. Sheer Cold is banned.. Run Contrary with Psycho boost, leaf storm, overheat, and Draco meteor.
That's an interesting idea, but why use that on Deoxys-S? Deoxys-S isn't the best Pokemon for sweeping with its mediocre Special Attack and bulk. All it has going for is its Speed, which is nice I guess, but there are so many better Pokemon to use that strategy with.

Plus there are Pokemon such as Imposter Blissey and Heart Swap Groudon running around.

Reasonably standard lead:

Deoxys-S @ Lum Berry
Mold Breaker
-U-Turn
-Stealth rock/Spikes
-Spore/Taunt
-Magic coat

Other options are pursuit to make it a shedinja counter, rapid spin and various other support moves(encore, knock off, status).
IMO this is Deoxys-S's best set.

Edit: Shadow tag trickscarf is done way better by giratina/lugia.

It won't matter if Deoxys-S has X4 Special attack. 1156 SP.AT with 140 power attacks that hits every pokemon. Besides sturdy Shedinja.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
The issue with that is twofold, one being Deoxys-S giving up crucial momentum to get two attacks in and the fact that your not going to be doing much damage in balanced hackmons without stab. To put it in perspective, Deoxys-A has the highest attack and special attack in the game by a wide margin, yet is never used because of how bad its stab are. There's also the fact that Reshiram does this much better.

Getting back on topic I would appreciate if you guys would test out any radical new sets you have an interest in before bringing them here. Wondering wether or not this untested and recently thought up set will work just isn't as effective as playing a couple of games with it.

It won't matter if Deoxys-S has X4 Special attack. 1156 SP.AT with 140 power attacks that hits every pokemon. Besides sturdy Shedinja.
Yes, but why would you use Contrary Deoxys-S over Contrary Latios? Latios has the advantage of being bulkier, especially on the special side. Its typing also helps when setting up and gives STAB to Draco Meteor. It's also much, much, MUCH more stronger. It even has the advantage of not being as revenge-able by Blissey because Blissey can't copy Soul Dew.

Timid Soul Dew Latios' stats: 364 HP / 259 Def / 537 SpA / 468 SpD / 350 Spe

Modest Deoxys stats: 304 HP / 279 Def / 317 SpA / 279 SpD / 459 Spe

Speed is all Deoxys has going for it when it comes to Contrary sweeping, and that's not enough.

Anyways, the only place where Deoxys-S truly shines is leading. I don't think it's very effective at that; after all, most leads are heavily prepared for Deoxys-S, but I guess part of the danger of lead Deoxys-S is "what will it use?". If it uses something you didn't predict/prepare for, your team has a disadvantage from the start.

I have been testing this set as a lead with some success

Deoxys-Speed @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Magic Guard
- Stealth Rock
- Baton Pass

This set helps combat prankster status leading with protect to activate poison heal. Magic Guard is here to bounce back any setups while attempting to set up stealth rock. I found stealth rock better than toxic spikes as sturdy shedinja always has lum berry and stealth rock ohko's once on the field. Baton pass is to escape shadow tag/arena trap pokes that usually carry perish song. This set has to rely on magic guard prediction as once you protect first turn it gives away your ability.

Pro's
Status Immune
Health Recovery every turn
Entry Hazard deterent
Perish Trap Escaper

Con's
Taunt/Spore/Encore/Worry Seed/Gastro Acid bait if I mispredict with Magic guard
No attacking Moves

For my experience Deo-S can be a great revenger sometimes, or even just by putting a scarf on something annoying such as Giratina or Chansey that could become annoying later

The set I use in a sun team:

Deoxys-S @ Choice Scarf
Drough
-U-Turn
-Toxic Spikes
-Trick
-Psyco Boost

This serves as a nice scouter and let's me put many times the layers I need, I started using toxic spike because of many Ho-oh going for magic guard and so SR wasn't effective, and this way TS can deal with Giratina & Chansey better, although I may switch to regular spikes if Lum Berr Shedinja starts becoming more annoying but I can deal with it normally, also I use DeoS because of I'm being the fastest mon, that way I can now if my opponent has any weather and if it has then get out of the way to something that can deal with it it since they can't touch me before I U-turn

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Deoxys-S @ Mental Herb / Lum Berry
Prankster
Timid
-Imprison
-Spikes
-Spore / Taunt / Toxic Spikes
-Stealth Rock

Pretty fantastic lead set if your team likes to keep hazards off the field - Pranksters Imprison prevents any lead from laying down any hazard short of Toxic Spikes (use a grounded Poison type), even those with Magic Bounce or Mold Breaker. The choice between Spore and Taunt also determines your choice of item - Mental Herb if Spore and Lum Berry if Taunt. Mental Herb lets you get off a layer of hazards before you are Taunted and forced out while Lum Berry does the same with Spore. I personally like Spore better for the team I used this in, but priority Taunt stops Smashpassers more reliably and is probably better in the general metagame.

Sturdy Shedinja loves this as a teammate. I also used a Quiver Dance Illusion Dialga (masquerading as a Giratina) on the team I used this lead on, and it very much appreciated not having hazards ruin the bluff. In general, if you want a dedicated lead that gets your hazards up while keeping the opponent's hazards down, use this.

Edit: I guess you could also use Tspikes over Spore or Taunt if you want, in which case Imprison guarantees that no hazards will enter your side, but I haven't tested that myself.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I've found Knock Off to be a rather interesting option on Deoxys-S, effectively taking the wind out of Specs Palkia and hurting Scarfers. I've been running this set:

Deoxys-S @ Lum Berry
Jolly nature
Mold Breaker
- Knock Off
- U-Turn
- Taunt
- Spikes / Toxic Spikes / Stealth Rock / other filler

I used Spikes, but I guess Toxic Spikes would work pretty well in tandem with Knock Off.

Deoxys-S @ Mental Herb / Lum Berry
Prankster
Timid
-Imprison
-Spikes
-Spore / Taunt / Toxic Spikes
-Stealth Rock

Pretty fantastic lead set if your team likes to keep hazards off the field - Pranksters Imprison prevents any lead from laying down any hazard short of Toxic Spikes (use a grounded Poison type), even those with Magic Bounce or Mold Breaker. The choice between Spore and Taunt also determines your choice of item - Mental Herb if Spore and Lum Berry if Taunt. Mental Herb lets you get off a layer of hazards before you are Taunted and forced out while Lum Berry does the same with Spore. I personally like Spore better for the team I used this in, but priority Taunt stops Smashpassers more reliably and is probably better in the general metagame.

Sturdy Shedinja loves this as a teammate. I also used a Quiver Dance Illusion Dialga (masquerading as a Giratina) on the team I used this lead on, and it very much appreciated not having hazards ruin the bluff. In general, if you want a dedicated lead that gets your hazards up while keeping the opponent's hazards down, use this.

Edit: I guess you could also use Tspikes over Spore or Taunt if you want, in which case Imprison guarantees that no hazards will enter your side, but I haven't tested that myself.
I tested this set of yours and it deffinetly has potential. It does have flaws against magic bounce pokes. even though you imprisioned there hazards you still have to worry about yours being bounced back. As such I carry a poke with rapid spin just in case.

I found that spore is more prevalent on teams I faced than taunt so I ran lum berry with imprision/spore/spikes/stealth rock. I am still taunt bait for what its worth but it allows for shedinja to get on the field with no hazards. Shed still has to worry about hail and sandstorm tho. toxic spikes I didnt bother covering as most shedinja including mine have lum berry to negate toxic damage plus I have a spinner

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
Imprison is actually a great move to use on Deoxys-S, I feel in love with it way back in the Slaking era (had to get Aeo to implement it). The set I use is,

Deoxys-S @ Lum Bery
Mold Breaker
Jolly
-Imprison
-Magic Coat
-U-Turn
-Stealth Rocks

90% of the time I'll lead off with Imprison, blocking off Stealth Rocks and Magic Coat from my opponents movepool. If I get spored, my Lum Berry activates and I'm free to use Magic Coat (if someone runs Magic Coat+Spore and sees Magic Coat blocked off they can outmaneuver, but from experience this does not happen much). The beauty of Imprison Mold Breaker is that I am GUARANTEED to get Rocks down. U-Turn might seem like an odd choice, but if you run into Trickscarf Deoxys-S without it the game is over then and their.

Deoxys-Speed @ Leftovers
Trait: Bad Dreams
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Substitute
- Cosmic Power
- ExtremeSpeed

This just destroys everything if it can get a spore up. Spore+Sub and then put all the things to sleep. Cosmic Power to bulk him up and protect the subs. Extreme speed to give extra damage.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Deoxys-Speed @ Leftovers
Trait: Bad Dreams
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Substitute
- Cosmic Power
- ExtremeSpeed

This just destroys everything if it can get a spore up. Spore+Sub and then put all the things to sleep. Cosmic Power to bulk him up and protect the subs. Extreme speed to give extra damage.
Lum Berry Giratina used Substitute.

I've always been a fan of hacking Pokemon like this although I battle Smogon style. I made a discovery today.
Deoxys-D
Psycho Boost
Swagger
Role Play
Spikes

+

Contrary Shuckle

Role Play first turn, getting Deoxys Contrary, then sweep with STAB, Sp. Atk boosting Psycho Boost. >:)

This is my preferred set. Lum Berry is kind of a staple for Deoxys-S, Substitute blocks of non-Prankster spores, Taunt ensures SR & random status moves are disabled, and the lost slot for an entry hazard.

Deoxys-Speed @ Lum Berry
Trait: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Pursuit
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock / Spikes / Toxic Spikes

I've had a great deal of success in pure hackmons with this set, although I don't know that it is quite as well suited to balanced hackmons.

Deoxys-Speed @ Lum Berry
Trait: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Stealth Rock
- Shadow Ball
- Rapid Spin

Deoxys's whole job on my team is to get up Stealth Rocks. If he does that he's done his job. Spore for obvious reasons. I have Rapid Spin for getting rid of Toxic Spikes in the even they get passed my bouncer and Shadow Ball is for hitting WonderTomb, which is not a problem in balanced although I think the move is still somewhat worth while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)