Prototype/Development Diamond & Pearl Assets Leak

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Wow, I wasn't expecting much from these DP beta asset leak but I was quickly proven wrong! Beta designs a-go!
  • Turtwing Line: Same idea and general design. Most notable difference is that they were going to keep the brown shell, face color, and Grotle was going to start having trees. I do like the final versions more, the more defined shells let the plant aspects also stand out on each and Grotle being downgraded to having bushes let Torterr'a diorama shell stand out more. Also Torterra's face just don't match the other two.
  • Piplup Line: Now, I think this Prinplup is a work in progress as it's clearly just a skrunken down Empoleon that they're slowly modifying (which is interesting, did the other Starters also go through this process?). But, wait, if that was the case it would look a bit like Prinplup, but it doesn't. Was there no concept artwork of Prinplup? Did all the Starters start out as such, they made the sprite first and then finalized it with concept art? Interviews about the Unova Pokemon made it always sound the concept art came first, was this not in practive when they made Gen IV and they were still doodling with the sprites like we saw with in the Gen II beta?
  • Shinx Line: D'aw, the Shinx we have is cute but this one I say looks even cuter. I understand why they changed it, though I kind of wish it kept the black patch of hair.
  • Gible Line: Um, wow, this is ALL different. The land shark concept was still there, but Gible & Gabite were quadrupeds (and looking at the final versions, you can kind of still see it cause both of them look awkward on two feet). Also interesting to see instead of the plane engine antenna they had this stomach spoiler blade. I like the ones we got better, but wouldn't argue if they changed their barely noticeable Shiny colors to this cream & burnt orange palette (could even change Garchomp's yellow stomach to cyan)!
  • Cranidos Line: I kind of like these two more than what we got. Like, Cranidos is mostly the same though I like how more fiercer it looks (though I guess it then wouldn't be loyal to the Pachycephalosaurus). Rampardos already looked awkward and I see why, and if they weren't going to make it sleeker maybe they should have kept it more like this.
  • Combee Line: Vespiquen looks more alien invader here, almost doesn't even look like Pokemon. Think I do like what we got more, though this would probably make food a good boss in another game like Castlevania/Bloodstained, lol!
  • Hippopotas Line: Lol, not going to pick on Hippopotas as they obviously haven't worked on it at all. Hippowdon I think also is just in a "proof of concept" stage, they've added the notable design features (which include whiskers around the jaw that didn't make it to final design) and messing with the colors. While fun to see the actual beta designs, it's also fun to see these "work in progress"/placeholder designs as you see the throught process going into the design.
  • Carnivine, Probopass, Regigigas: Combined these together as they're all just a rough drawings of the final design. While not as exciting as a full beta design or work in progress, still fun to see in a "hey, gotta start somewhere" way. Though that rough draw Regigigas is just asking to be a meme.
  • Finneon Line: Okay, so never made much sense to me when they said Lumineon had bioluminescence; I guess it was the part of its body that wasn't black but still an odd trait to base its name around. But now seeing its beta design it makes MUCH more sense. I like Lumineon's body shape more but they should have kept the gradiant cyan/violet/magenta than making it all cyan (also maybe kept the snout black).
  • Snover Line: Lol, why are they so over-detailed? They look like concept artwork for how they would appear in Detective Pikachu in sprite form (Snover more tree stump-like and Abomasnow more yeti-like).
  • Togekiss: Uh, did they forget this was an evolution for Togetic, bringing of blessings? Why does it look so menacing? Is it the Togekiss that evil Togepi from the anime is going to evolve into?
  • Yanmega: I like this one better than the final. It sort of has this secondary "WW2 bomber plane" design going on making it look more armored and intimidating. Like if they want it to look a bit more like Yanma just color the second to last segments of the wings orange.
  • Lickilicky: At first I didn't know what it was supposed to be from that backsprite, but then Goatee McGee points out it looks like a stegosaurus and now I'm sad they changed it. I guess they wanted to vary the "evolves by knowing a certain move" concept to more than just Ancient Power. Guess we'll need to wait for a Fossil Pokemon. "Well the Fossilized Drake was likely a stegosaurus..." THAT DOESN'T COUNT!
  • Rotom: LOL! (Artist): "Okay, so what should Rotom look like"? (Planner): "Well, you know, like an electric sprite thing". (Artist): "Alright-y"! *Draws this in a few seconds* (Planner): "... Just to spite you we're going to use this as the placeholder".
  • Lake Guardians: With the (copy & paste) tassels, R_N mentioning their connection to oarfish which were emissaries of the dragon palace, and that they're "LAKE" guardians, I wonder if their original head designs were supposed to be based on aquatic animals. Uxie's looks like a clam, Mesprit a squid/octopus, and Azelf a fish. And they still sort of do, man the things you miss even though it's right in front of you. I wonder if they still had thier gems and long double tails (I can see them giving them the long tails after removing the tassels). EDIT: Actually this video shows more of their body and it looks like they were more aquatic creatures originall!
  • Heatran: Oomph, poor beta Heatran, acne is bad enough but lava-filled pimples? Don't think a simple anti-acne cream is gonna clean that up.
  • Giratina: Well Dialga and Palkia didn't change so I doubt Giratina will look any differWHAT?! Okay, so according to Theorymon this might not have been Giratina but a scrapped chimera Pokemon, and I agree with everyone it has some passing design themes later seen in Silvally. Which makes me wonder if this scrapped "Kimairan" was supposed to be like a lesser Arceus originally. Another thing that makes me curious are those three circles on its leg. I would have thought they were for the Lake Guardians but one is red instead of yellow, so what were they for (and if they did represent the Lake Guardians, was Uxie originally red or was this a coloring mistake)?
  • Cresselia: So Cresselia either had a long upward pointing nose or that's a horn and it has an entirely different face. Also it had tassels too instead of rings?
  • Darkrai: How interesting that the Darkrai Movie's Japanese title featured the beta design! Though note that isn't the original logo for the poster, it started appearing on the third poster and by that time they had Darkrai's official design. So very odd they decided to reference its original design which would be something no one would notice. Also, this Darkrai looks much more like a rooster, which would make it closer match Cresselia's bird-like appearance (maybe Cresselia looked closer like a chicken originally?).
  • Shaymin: We interrupt this beta design review to advertise you MANSCAPED and its new Lawn Mower 3.0 Trimmer!
  • Arceus: I think this Twitter Post best represents what I think:

Separate from the Pokémon post, here's the early Gym Leaders:

So they had the general concepts of the Gym Leader down at this point, though funny to see "Swampert Mask" Crasher Wake (which makes some sense as Pastoria has the Great Marsh) and clean cut Byron (guess this was what he looked like before leaving Oreburgh Gym to Roark).

BTW Mixeli/Pokeli has been posting a batch of beta music tracks as well. Nothing too drastic, they're all the same theme but they're either in a different tone, set at a different pace, missing a layer or two of instruments.

Last edited:
Wow, I wasn't expecting much from these DP beta asset leak but I was quickly proven wrong! Beta designs a-go!
  • Piplup Line: Now, I think this Prinplup is a work in progress as it's clearly just a skrunken down Empoleon that they're slowly modifying (which is interesting, did the other Starters also go through this process?). But, wait, if that was the case it would look a bit like Prinplup, but it doesn't. Was there no concept artwork of Prinplup? Did all the Starters start out as such, they made the sprite first and then finalized it with concept art? Interviews about the Unova Pokemon made it always sound the concept art came first, was this not in practive when they made Gen IV and they were still doodling with the sprites like we saw with in the Gen II beta?
Either gen 4 still had them doing the gen 1-2 style of putting pixels to screen for feeling out the pokemon or the concept art process still involved dotting out the sprites in-game to get a better feel of how things might shake out.
Get an idea, scratch it out in game, iron it out with fuller concepts, try ito ut in the game again, repeat. That kind of thing.
Might've gotten a more refined process by gen 5 and then well...kind of need to leave that old style behind for the move to 3D anyway I imagine.
  • Lickilicky: At first I didn't know what it was supposed to be from that backsprite, but then Goatee McGee points out it looks like a stegosaurus and now I'm sad they changed it. I guess they wanted to vary the "evolves by knowing a certain move" concept to more than just Ancient Power. Guess we'll need to wait for a Fossil Pokemon. "Well the Fossilized Drake was likely a stegosaurus..." THAT DOESN'T COUNT!
I can see why people think Stegosaurus but I'm actually thinking it was a spiked wheel. You'll note that what we see of the backsprite goes tail, 3 yellow spikes, then the head. They're all roughly equidistant and the tail & head are stilled "spiked". I think the bottom half of the "wheel" would also be spiked, mirror the top half's yellow spikes, with the tail/head being the exact middle

Some more thoughts:
-Lucario's dex mentions 'Fights using its sharp fangs and spikes', but nothing in its normal moveset uses fangs or spikes. (Crunch and Bite are egg moves.)
-In B2W2 in Route 18, Wake says "Here's a little bit of Crasher Wake trivia for ya! Everyone say I'm a wrestler from abroad, but the truth is... I was born and raised in the Sinnoh region! It's what they call my gimmick! Hey, but that's a secret, OK? OK!"
(Fun Fact, this dialouge can be missed by fighting Wake in the PWT before meeting him here.)

I know faking your nationality is a thing in wrestling, so does Wake wearing the Swampert mask to distances himself from being from Sinnoh?

-The center larva in the Combee art is the biggest and has the mark that only shows up on female Combees. Is that the one that evolves into Vespiquen?

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Surprised nobody bought up this Helix Chamber article, unless I'm blind. A lot of the beta names are in Pokemon Battle Revolution as it was developed alongside DP, and have been known for a good while (talking years). You can see stuff like Giratina's file being named the beta name among other things. I think there are some unique ones we don't see in these protos, but I don't have the energy to go through it rn.

Don't have much to add to this since I focus almost solely on Gens 1-2 when it comes to this stuff, but I may come back to it and see if I find anything interesting myself. Seems most have gutted it already though, heh.

Anyone else notice Lickilicky seems to have been in an intermittent design stage though? Seems even at this point in development they didn't really know what to do when picking up the idea of evolving Lickitung again from Gen 2. Back sprite looks a bit like a chameleon, which...undeniably makes a lot of sense actually.

Apparently TCRF has sprites from a March 12th, 2006 build, so some commentary:

First off, Charizard's neck looks a bit misplaced here.

Oh... Look at my gorgeous head feathers fly in the wind.

I swear I saw a backsprite that looked like this before.

"Angular" Nidoking

When you're about to have a mental breakdown:

These tentacles look misplaced in a way that makes me uncomfortable.

Graveler looks bigger than I remember...

It's funny how realistic the fire looks here.

The tongue looks wrong in this pose.

I know the shading is incomplete, but GS Ditto!

I'm very happy Moltres didn't have this pose in the final.

Remember this undomfortable pose?

It was also the backsprite!

But this definitely looks worse.

Bro, can you turn the music volume down please?

Feraligatr once kept its Thiccness from gen 3.

You're not a dog Quagsire...

Something about Ursaring's face doesn't look like an Ursaring face

That Donphan pose looks wrong, but I'm not sure what about it.

WOW! check out this arm!

Remember Slaking picking its nose?

It was still also the backsprite! (this time with a funny face)

Nothing else seems notable, but If you notice something cool, feel free to post.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Apparently TCRF has sprites from a March 12th, 2006 build, so some commentary:
Charizard: Not misplaced, but it does look like he's straining himself.
Pikachu: "You will believe an electric rodent can fly".
Golduck: Actually it more looks like it's a deer in the headlights.
Tentacruel: ~I wave my tenacles back-and-forth, I wave my tentacles back-and-forth~
Graveler: Not bigger, oddly taller.
Ponyta Family: Whoever drew them must have also did the beta Snover & Abomasnow. Curious if they were just trying out different art styles or this one artist just got carried away.
Lickitung: When doesn't Lickitung's tongue look wrong?
Mewtwo: Front Sprite be like "Are YOU talking to ME?".
Ursaring: Well it's missing its teeth for one thing. I also thing its eyes are a bit small, actually it's head may be a bit small in general.
Donphan: The pose looks wrong because Donphan is a bit too stout to be able to have its head low to the ground and butt in the air like that.
Vigoroth: "OH MY ARCEUS MY PAW IS BLEEDING!"

Yeah, only way a Oddish is doing any damage is if you chuck them at the opponent. Remember Oddish, land feet first!
Oomph, tail knot. Don't you hate getting those.
"Oh, when I get over there mister you're getting such a beating!"
"OoooOOOh, what does THIS button do!"
"Hey, if I suck in my gut does it make me look like an eggplant?"
Farfetch'd doesn't quite get why people are freaking about "leeks", it carries one all the time.
What angle are we looking at Pinsir? It's supposed to be from the back but this looks like it's top-down.
Uh oh, the Gyarados paper mache is breaking apart at the neck.
I think this Mew needs some more time in development, the head is kind of small.
More Pokemon tossing.
OH SH*T, RUN, IT'S THE COPS!
DON'T TAZE ME BRO!
"CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?"
"OH, now you gonna get it, son!"
Steelix doing his best impression of the St. Louis Gateway Arch.
"OMG, I totally forgot it was Whitney's Birthday today!"
NOODLEY BOI.
"Am I facing the camera or have my back to the camera and turning my head toward it?"
"Am I facing the camera or have my back to the camera and... oh, how you know before I finished my sentence?"
"Wait, give me a sec, I should have better art in here somewhere..."
Skarmory is SO done with this.
"Oh, I'll give you paw alright!"
NO HITMONTOP KICK IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!
"I said stay there! Yes, I heard you! No, I don't need your help. I know where to look. You don't need to get up!..."
More like Lardia and Ho-Oh-No.
Looks like Lugia wasn't the only one that pigged out at the buffet table.
Everyone do the Combusken Cha-cha!
Riding on his invisible scooter.
"COME AT ME!"
"You make me so angry."
"I just don't feel like levitating today, 'kay?"
"Look at my sick dance moves!"
"I said no pets!"
"The sheer f*cking hubris!"

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Y'know, the knowledge that this leak is of a build 3 months out from launch makes it a little... Concerning.

I don't wanna pull the armchair game developer stuff other people do with impunity but from what I'm aware (and correct me if I'm overhyping this) the last few months of a game's dev cycle under a normal schedule should basically be nothing beyond minor final tweaks and debugging. So the fact that within the final 3 months they were still making huge design/lore changes (e.g. Garchomp line and Giratina), using placeholders for major trainers and had such rough sprites and battle UI seem like telltale signs of an incredibly troubled development. Hell, that might be actually be a generous estimate: Remember, games have to "go gold" a few weeks out from release so they can stop development and begin producing physical copies so with that in mind we might actually be looking at something closer to the state the game was in 2 months out from its dev cycle concluding.

Many people, myself included, love to meme on the awful DP Pokedex and its seemingly completely baffling exclusion of most of the cross-gen evos. But honestly? After this leak, it's a genuine possibility to consider that it may have been a victim of development problems. Perhaps with time quickly running out they decided compromises had to be made to get the game out on schedule with one of the sacrifices being the cross-gens' exclusion from the regional dex so they wouldn't have to spend time on their encounter tables and giving them to trainers and such. Besides, they weren't technically brand new, never-seen-before Pokemon species, just extensions of pre-existing ones, so making them postgame-only couldn't be that bad, right?

DP probably did have development problems. The first mock ups were heavily based on the GBA and they announced the games very early. And DP was...lackluster, we'll say, in some departments

but my understanding is the last few months of development is where things actually come together and start interlocking, not 3-6 months of just touch up.

Also while there was some lore changes going on here and there, we also don't have the full story behind when these pokemon were marked to be changed, if htere was art finalizing designs elsewhere. Kimarian might've been set to become Giratina for a while, but was still just Kimarian until they reached it for revisions.

The rest of the game seems to be "there", more or less, so UI revisions and new spritework were probably jsut saved for the end of development. Or hadn't been inserted yet, in general.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
DP probably did have development problems. The first mock ups were heavily based on the GBA and they announced the games very early. And DP was...lackluster, we'll say, in some departments

but my understanding is the last few months of development is where things actually come together and start interlocking, not 3-6 months of just touch up.

Also while there was some lore changes going on here and there, we also don't have the full story behind when these pokemon were marked to be changed, if htere was art finalizing designs elsewhere. Kimarian might've been set to become Giratina for a while, but was still just Kimarian until they reached it for revisions.

The rest of the game seems to be "there", more or less, so UI revisions and new spritework were probably jsut saved for the end of development. Or hadn't been inserted yet, in general.
We were discussing this on the Smogon discord, but Kimairan literally had the same typing and base stats as Giratina. In fact, while not ALL stats were final (for example, Mamoswine is insanely bulky wtf), a lot of them like Garchomp and Arceus are actually final stats.

Very good chance that most of the designs were actually near final at this point, but Gamefreak didn't want to waste time implementing them in a clearly WIP build, especially when afaik it's a lot easier to swap out sprites than say, models.

That being said, since Diamond and Pearl were delayed for a year and ran like molasses in the final game, I would not be surprised to hear that the dev cycle for DP was a mess either.

Ema Skye

Work!
Y'know, the knowledge that this leak is of a build 3 months out from launch makes it a little... Concerning.

I don't wanna pull the armchair game developer stuff other people do with impunity but from what I'm aware (and correct me if I'm overhyping this) the last few months of a game's dev cycle under a normal schedule should basically be nothing beyond minor final tweaks and debugging. So the fact that within the final 3 months they were still making huge design/lore changes (e.g. Garchomp line and Giratina), using placeholders for major trainers and had such rough sprites and battle UI seem like telltale signs of an incredibly troubled development. Hell, that might be actually be a generous estimate: Remember, games have to "go gold" a few weeks out from release so they can stop development and begin producing physical copies so with that in mind we might actually be looking at something closer to the state the game was in 2 months out from its dev cycle concluding.

Many people, myself included, love to meme on the awful DP Pokedex and its seemingly completely baffling exclusion of most of the cross-gen evos. But honestly? After this leak, it's a genuine possibility to consider that it may have been a victim of development problems. Perhaps with time quickly running out they decided compromises had to be made to get the game out on schedule with one of the sacrifices being the cross-gens' exclusion from the regional dex so they wouldn't have to spend time on their encounter tables and giving them to trainers and such. Besides, they weren't technically brand new, never-seen-before Pokemon species, just extensions of pre-existing ones, so making them postgame-only couldn't be that bad, right?
And on this note, I would be willing to suspect that Platinum was primarily about correcting the final product of DP. In terms of differences from the original games, Platinum is on a different level than Emerald and Crystal. Without needing to build the skeleton, Platinum could be what they wanted DP to be.

Is there any similarities to new pokemon that can be seen in the betas? Kimarin could be seen as a beta Lando-T or a Sivally that much is a bit more clear. Something I noticed is that Beta Gabite sort of resembles Deino with the long neck and brachiosaurus-look.
Ed0Lv55WsAAH7Sp.png
th.jpeg

Sprite wise Beta Combee sort of has the same face that Foongus has even though concept art suggests otherwise. I dunno I just see the nipple mouth and I sort of assumed that's what the combee sprite was going for.
g9ZonoD.jpg
Ed0PeqEXoAAED0u copy.png

foongus.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 3.14.05 PM.png

Currently in the pokedex you can see that it labels Bronzor and Brozong as "Green". Its entirely possible that this maybe a translation error (Japanese treat green and blue as the same color. Golurk and Aquanid are the other exceptions to this rule as well - they are primarily blue, but are labeled as green), but Bronzong is legitimately green here. There is also the possibility of an older, green bronzer that has yet to be discovered
Ed0P9phWkAENVHa.png

Attachments

Some stances and elements do have similarities, and they no doubt obviously go back to old designs and try to rework them (hell thanks to scratchpads we know the old bear starter was transformed into teddiursa at one point before changing designs again) but at the same time some of them are just kinda...generic enough that it probably is coincidence.

like proto-gabite's general shape and stance isnt THAT dissimilar to Gastrodon, sine they're cut from the same cloth anyway.

or how Shinx has the "black pants/single color round body w/ short legs" design that Tepig has. Sometimes design elements just overlap and it really is just coincidence

breh

強いだね
Big thanks to minibug on the discord for being kind enough to make an extremely convenient document that allowed me to easily analyze / translate this without having to dig through 10 different files.

Documents exist from 10 dates:

3-9-2006
3-23-2006
3-26-2006
4-14-2006
6-27-2006
7-3-2006
7-13-2006 2 35am
7-13-2006 5 54pm
7-18-2006
8-22-2006

Turtwig: Naegame (3-9-2006) > Naetoru (3-23-2006)

Chimchar: Hinokozaru (3-9-2006) > Hikozaru (3-23-2006)

Piplup: Umiouji (3-9-2006) > Pocchama (3-23-2006)

Prinplup: Wotta (6-27-2006) > Pottaishi (7-3-2006)

Starly: Mukudori (4-14-2006) > Mukkuru (6-27-2006)

Luxio: Bachichi (7-3-2006) > Rukushio (7-13-2006 2 35am)

Luxray: Bachibacchi (7-3-2006) > Rentorā (7-13-2006 2 35am)

Budew: Tsubomī (3-9-2006) > Subomī (3-23-2006)

Roserade: Rozemasuku (3-9-2006) > Rozureido (3-23-2006)

Rampardos: Pachikingu (6-27-2006) > Ramubarudo (7-3-2006)

Rampardos: Ramubarudo (7-13-2006 2 35am) > Ramuparudo (7-13-2006 5 54pm)

Floatzel: Buizeruga (6-27-2006) > Furōzeru (7-3-2006)

Ambipom: Bīpamu (7-13-2006 2 35am) > Etebōsu (7-13-2006 5 54pm)

Buneary: Mimitto (7-3-2006) > Mimiroru (7-13-2006 2 35am)

Glameow: Rizumī (4-14-2006) > Nyarumā (6-27-2006)

Electivire: Erekingu (3-9-2006) > Erekiburu (3-23-2006)

Glaceon: Aishia (7-13-2006 2 35am) > Gureishia (7-13-2006 5 54pm)

Dusknoir: Madorōmu (3-9-2006) > Yonowāru (3-23-2006)

Froslass: Yukionna (3-9-2006) > Yukimenoko (3-23-2006)

Rotom: Purazuma (6-27-2006) > Rotomu (7-3-2006)

Palkia: Barukia (6-27-2006) > Parukia (7-3-2006)

Giratina: Kimairan (7-18-2006) > Giratina (8-22-2006)

Darkrai: Dārei (7-3-2006) > Dākurai (7-13-2006 2 35am)

Shaymin: Mīshie (7-3-2006) > Sheimi (7-13-2006 2 35am)

As far as I know, names only changed once.

Pokedex entries WIP (will edit out some awkward translations I've marked as FIX eventually). Again, s marks a small rephrasing, r a larger one, and t a typo / other text error.

Turtwig: s (6-27-2006 > 7-3-2006)

Torterra: When the trees in the forest become few in number, they all simultaneously set out. They are thought to birth forests. (last appeared 6-27-2006)

Chimchar: s (6-27-2006 > 7-3-2006)

Infernape: It excels in the martial arts and uses its legs like arms when it fights. Its flames never go out. (last appeared 6-27-2006)

Piplup: s (6-27-2006 > 7-3-2006)

Prinplup: It lives on the shores of northern countries where ice floes have washed ashore. A rough and rambunctious Pokemon. // FIX (last appeared 6-27-2006)

Starly: Lives in large flocks. They gather on roofs and trees by roads and make noisy, annoying cries. (last appeared 4-14-2006)

Staravia: Makes large flocks and lives in forests, cities, and so on. Natural enemy of bug Pokemon. (last appeared 6-27-2006)

Staraptor: s (6-27-2006 > 7-3-2006)

Bibarel: It makes a dam using materials like tree trunks and mud to make a comfortable lodge. In doing so, it stops rivers from flowing. (last appeared 6-27-2006)

Luxray: Its mane glows with electricity. A group's leader is said to have a particularly bright shine. //FIX (last appeared 6-27-2006)

Budew: During winter, it closes its bud and bears the cold, perfectly still. When spring comes around, its bud opens. (last appeared 3-26-2006)
Budew: s (4-14-2006 > 6-27-2006)

Roserade: It conceals toxic thorns that exist in various places on its body. It draws in its target with Sweet Scent. (last appeared 4-14-2006)
Roserade: After drawing in its target with Sweet Scent, it uses the toxic thorns concealed in various places all over its body to finish it off. (last appeared 6-27-2006)

Shieldon: s (7-3-2006 > 7-13-2006 2 35am)

Wormadam: s (6-27-2006 > 7-3-2006)

Buizel: It inflates the swim bladder around its neck and floats with its head sticking out from the water. Usually lives on land. (last appeared 4-14-2006)

Floatzel: s (6-27-2006 > 7-3-2006)

Gastrodon: Its body is boneless and squishy, but its thick skin wards off its enemies' attacks. //FIX (last appeared 6-27-2006)

Drifblim: Still drowzy in the daytime, it drifts through the air. They sometimes fly through the sky en masse at dusk. (last appeared 6-27-2006)

Buneary: s (4-14-2006 > 6-27-2006)

Mismagius: It chants awe-inspiring incantations. It seems that some make its target suffer, while others bring it happiness. //FIX (last appeared 6-27-2006)

Honchkrow: s (6-27-2006 > 7-3-2006)

Glameow: It is capricious and hard to handle. It approaches in a friendly manner and then suddenly scratches with its sharp claws. (last appeared 6-27-2006)

Chingling: When enemies draw near, it emits very high frequency cries to make the imminent danger known to its allies. (last appeared 6-27-2006)

Bronzong: Some are said to have lied underground for 100 years. Being dug up at construction sites is not an uncommon occurrence. (last appeared 6-27-2006)

Bonsly: When the amount of water in its body gets too high, it gets weaker, so it releases water from its eyes to regulate itself. (last appeared 4-14-2006)

Mime Jr.: It has a habit of perfectly mimicking its opponents' movements. While they are distracted, it flees. (last appeared 4-14-2006)

Chatot: A strange Pokemon that lives deep in the jungle. It mimics sounds it has heard with its cries. (last appeared 4-14-2006)

Spiritomb: A Pokemon formed from 108 spirits. It is sealed in a keystone. (last appeared 6-27-2006)

Munchlax: s (4-14-2006 > 6-27-2006)

Lucario: s (4-14-2006 > 6-27-2006)

Toxicroak: It has a poison sac at its throat. As it bounces around, it fights using the spikes on its fists, which ooze a deadly poison. (last appeared 6-27-2006)

Mantyke: A docile Pokemon. If it spots people swimming in the seas, it gets close and swims with them. (last appeared 4-14-2006)

Snover: It lives in mountains that are snowed over year-round. Ice crystals are stuck to it all over its body. //FIX (last appeared 6-27-2006)

Abomasnow: It lives in mountain ranges at an altitude of 2000 meters. Also known as the "Ice Monster". //FIX (last appeared 6-27-2006)

Weavile: Inhabits cold regions. They move in families of three or four and are extremely territorial. (last appeared 4-14-2006)
Weavile: lol they changed a forward facing comma to a backwards facing comma?? I don't even know what character the front facing comma is (last appeared 6-27-2006)

Lickilicky: After it wraps up food in its tongue, its tongue secretes digestive fluids. Its food tends to dissolve before it swallows it. (last appeared 6-27-2006)

Tangrowth: If its vines are cut off, they grow right back. It is said that nobody has seen what lies inside, beyond the vines. (last appeared 4-14-2006)

Electivire: Makes electricity with special organs. It attacks by releasing a 20,000 volt current from its two tails. (last appeared 4-14-2006)

Togekiss: s (6-27-2006 > 7-3-2006)

Yanmega: Forests with mowed-down trees are the aftermath of shockwaves from Yanmega's wingbeats. //FIX (last appeared 6-27-2006)

Leafeon: It photosynthesizes like a plant. The area around Leafeon is high in oxygen, so those nearby feel refreshed. (last appeared 6-27-2006)

Gliscor: It grinds its large pincers to intimidate its opponents with Screech. It attacks with its two poison stingers. (last appeared 6-27-2006)

Mamoswine: Lives in very cold regions. When the Ice Age ended and it became warmer, their numbers shrank. (last appeared 4-14-2006)

Gallade: It stands vigilantly at the back of a trainer it trusts. In battles, it fights using the retractable blades in its elbow. //FIX (last appeared 6-27-2006)

Probopass: It aligns itself with magnetic field lines, pointing towards the north pole. Its strong magnetism makes its opponents' senses go crazy. //FIX (last appeared 6-27-2006)

Probopass: t (7-18-2006 > 8-22-2006)

Dusknoir: Its flexible, rubber-like body can absorb any attack, no matter how strong. (last appeared 4-14-2006)
Dusknoir: rephrase of Pearl (last appeared 6-27-2006)

Froslass: Exhibits activity during nights where snow piles up. Emits a -50 C chill from its mouth and freezes its target. (last appeared 4-14-2006)

Rotom: s (6-27-2006 > 7-3-2006)

Mesprit: Referred to as the god of emotion. Written of in ancient texts, there are none who have seen it. (last appeared 6-27-2006)

Heatran: It clings on tight to the ceilings of caves as it creeps around them. It eats lava. (last appeared 6-27-2006)

Regigigas: Although it appears that there were many in the past, they have since disappeared for unknown reasons. Nowadays, they are seldom seen. (last appeared 6-27-2006)

Giratina: It has lived for 4000 years in a temple that people built to calm its rage. //Referred to as Chimairan here (last appeared 6-27-2006)

Cresselia: It appears at night under the crescent moon. The soft light its body emits eases one's heart. (last appeared 6-27-2006)

Shaymin: It decomposes poisons in the air and releases clean oxygen. When it curls up its body, it looks like a bouquet. (last appeared 6-27-2006)

Arceus: Same as final bar "world" over "universe" (last appeared 6-27-2006)

Turtwig: st (4-14-2006 > 6-27-2006)

Chimchar: s (4-14-2006 > 6-27-2006)

Piplup: t (4-14-2006 > 6-27-2006)

Starly: Usually live in flocks, but tend to stand out when they are alone. An omnivore that will eat anything. (last appeared 4-14-2006)

Budew: Lives around clear ponds. It is overjoyed when its legs are dipped into clear water. (last appeared 4-14-2006)

Roserade: It releases a scent that relaxes one's emotions from the tips of both of its arms. Smelling it too much results in headaches. (last appeared 4-14-2006)

Shellos: Its body bears a vivid coloration. It lives in shoals and there are varieties with assorted shapes and colors. //FIX (last appeared 7-3-2006)

Buneary: An extremely cautious Pokemon. It perks up its ears in the direction of sounds in order to scout its surroundings. (last appeared 4-14-2006)

Bonsly: Likes dry places. It sits totally still in sunny windowsills, much like a bonsai. (last appeared 4-14-2006)

Chatot: A strange Pokemon that mimics its opponent's cry while waving its tail like a metronome. (last appeared 4-14-2006)

Munchlax: s (4-14-2006 > 6-27-2006)

Lucario: Fights using its sharp fangs and spikes. It can use its opponent's aura to read its thoughts and movement (last appeared 4-14-2006)

Mantyke: Lives in warm seas. They migrate through large territories, some with radii as large as 100 kilometers. (last appeared 4-14-2006)

Weavile: Lives in groups of around 4. Using its sharp claws, it scratches unique patterns into things like trees and boulders. (last appeared 4-14-2006)

Tangrowth: Its arms are made of bound vines and it can extend and contract them at will. Inhabits primordial, mossy forests. (last appeared 4-14-2006)

Electivire: It has organs that make electricity through chemical reactions. It is constantly releasing electricity from the horns on its head. (last appeared 4-14-2006)

Mamoswine: The group's leader is said to be decided based on tusk size. Females have smaller tusks. (last appeared 4-14-2006)

Dusknoir: Using the dish on its head, it receives signals and moves around almost as if controlled. (last appeared 4-14-2006)

Froslass: As it emits a -50 C chill, the horns on its head get longer and longer. Its body is hollow and has nothing inside. (last appeared 4-14-2006)

Hopefully I didn't fuck anything up in running through these. Sadly, no really big realizations like in Gen 3 dex entries. Gamefreak procrastinating til the last minute with this game apparently made them come up with lore and mostly stick to it. Summing up most interesting info learned from all dex entries (most overlapping with previous posts I've made):

-Basic info about Chimairan, which suggests that either its lore was transferred to Regigigas (which also lives in a temple made by humans) or that Turnback Cave was initially less a cave and more a magical man-made structure intended as a sort of labyrinth to trap a raging Chimairan

-Dex entries later given to Phione were originally those of Mantyke, not sure why

-Lucario is meant to fight with its spikes / its fangs, but doesn't seem particularly poised to do either

-Dusknoir randomly bears proto GS Larvitar's dex entry

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)