PU Analyses Discussion Thread

This thread's purpose is to provide a way for users to suggest changes or improvements to any currently uploaded PU analyses that will be seen in a public forum.

Do not make trivial posts lacking content. This thread is only for important analysis discussion and isn't the place for anything else, and as such, it will be heavily moderated in the case of irrelevant posts.

we just fixed the weezing stuff so i'm mostly going to be commenting about lilligant.

here's my proposed update:
Quiver Dance
Set:
Normalium Z should be first item slash and hyper beam for last option in first slash, it's lilligant's most consistent option at this point in light of drampa's popularity as well as for addressing its most popular non-scarf answers in skuntank and magmortar. life orb+hp fire second, and grassinum z last

Moves:
the grassinum z item lacks a mention about how it can be used to boost its speed with z-sleep powder which is important as the ease in boosting speed helps it deal with conventional revenge killers, so here's my proposed change:

Quiver Dance provides Lilligant with crucial boosts to Speed and Special Attack to allow it to sweep, while Sleep Powder creates chances for Lilligant to set up and the potential to get around Sucker Punch users. When equipped with Grassinum Z, Lilligant can also utilize Z-Sleep Powder, which boosts its Speed stat by one stage. This, combined with a Quiver Dance boost, helps it safely reach +2 Speed to help overcome fast Choice Scarf revenge killers such as Jynx and Primeape. Lilligant's Grass-type STAB move is its most important coverage; Giga Drain provides it with passive recovery whereas Energy Ball has more power. If using Grassium Z, Energy Ball should always be used. Hidden Power Fire is Lilligant's best coverage, if not using Normalium Z, to hit Steel- and Grass-types such as Ferroseed and Abomasnow. Hyper Beam should only be used with Normalium Z to potentially take out Flying-, Fire-, and Grass-types like Magmortar and opposing Lilligant.

Set Details:

Maximum Speed investment with a Timid nature is crucial to outspeed Choice Scarf users such as Mesprit, whereas 252 Special Attack EVs maximize Lilligant's power. Both Grassium Z and Normalium Z give Lilligant a one-time powerful attack, while the former also allows it to use Z-Sleep Powder, but Leftovers or Life Orb can be used if the team has a Z-Move user already; the former gives it passive recovery, while the latter boosts its power at the cost of health. Chlorophyll allows Lilligant to destroy sun teams and is less situational than Own Tempo.

rest looks good

There is the one set on Luxray, and I'd like to propose a completely different set.

Luxray @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Att / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Charge
- Spark
- Ice Fang
- Protect / Magnet Rise

This Luxray functions much the same as defensive Arcanine. Charge allows you to boost your Sp Def stat and can combo with Spark for a wicked attack on things that don't resist or even that do. It also has a 30% chance or paralyzing, which is super important against the things he would be trying to take on for the team. Ice Fang gives the Electric/Ice fantastic coverage combo, as well as a small freeze/flinch chance. The last move should probably be Protect, but someone cheeky could get away with Magnet Rise. Being that ground is his only weakness, defensive/stall teams may prefer the longevity of Magnet Rise. As a proof of this, Primeape being a noted wallbreaker with the banded set:

252 Atk Choice Band Primeape Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Luxray: 236-278 (65 - 76.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

8 Atk Luxray Spark vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Primeape: 124-147 (45.7 - 54.2%) -- 53.1% chance to 2HKO

The calculator won't show a charge, but it's essentially doubled so it's a 53.1% to OHKO. Luxray shouldn't be switched in on Primeape to avoid the defiant boost, but Primeape would likely feel confident switching in on Luxray. If the Magnet Rise variant is used, this is what it looks like:

252 Atk Choice Band Primeape Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Luxray: 211-250 (58.1 - 68.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

8 Atk Luxray Spark vs. -1 0 HP / 4 Def Primeape: 186-220 (68.6 - 81.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Now, it's worth noting that Primeape wins these matchups with the wallbreaker set, but loses with the scarf set. There's also the 30% paralysis chance that would turn the tables in speed and make Luxray attack first the second time. Protect would also alter these numbers slightly.

If enough Charges are gathered, Luxray becomes extremely difficult to break on the special attacking side. He does, however, hate knock off as it is his only form of recovery. This Luxray is a more support oriented mon, so the support it needs is fairly limited, however Wish passers and leech seeders are welcome partners. It is fairly susceptible to special attacks before getting a Charge boost, so bringing it in on a physical attacker is preferred. Watch out for defiant users as well, as they love the boost from Intimidate. Ground types Camerupt and Palossand can easily weather an Ice Fang and hit back hard or KO with STAB Earth Power in return (though Charge boosts can help) so it's best to have something that can get rid of those threats. Flying types are great partners to counter the ground moves aimed at Luxray.

Please feel free to add/subtract as needed. I have used this to good effect in league matches, but not sure how that would translate to tier play.

There is the one set on Luxray, and I'd like to propose a completely different set.

Luxray @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Att / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Charge
- Spark
- Ice Fang
- Protect / Magnet Rise

This Luxray functions much the same as defensive Arcanine. Charge allows you to boost your Sp Def stat and can combo with Spark for a wicked attack on things that don't resist or even that do. It also has a 30% chance or paralyzing, which is super important against the things he would be trying to take on for the team. Ice Fang gives the Electric/Ice fantastic coverage combo, as well as a small freeze/flinch chance. The last move should probably be Protect, but someone cheeky could get away with Magnet Rise. Being that ground is his only weakness, defensive/stall teams may prefer the longevity of Magnet Rise. As a proof of this, Primeape being a noted wallbreaker with the banded set:

252 Atk Choice Band Primeape Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Luxray: 236-278 (65 - 76.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

8 Atk Luxray Spark vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Primeape: 124-147 (45.7 - 54.2%) -- 53.1% chance to 2HKO

The calculator won't show a charge, but it's essentially doubled so it's a 53.1% to OHKO. Luxray shouldn't be switched in on Primeape to avoid the defiant boost, but Primeape would likely feel confident switching in on Luxray. If the Magnet Rise variant is used, this is what it looks like:

252 Atk Choice Band Primeape Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Luxray: 211-250 (58.1 - 68.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

8 Atk Luxray Spark vs. -1 0 HP / 4 Def Primeape: 186-220 (68.6 - 81.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Now, it's worth noting that Primeape wins these matchups with the wallbreaker set, but loses with the scarf set. There's also the 30% paralysis chance that would turn the tables in speed and make Luxray attack first the second time. Protect would also alter these numbers slightly.

If enough Charges are gathered, Luxray becomes extremely difficult to break on the special attacking side. He does, however, hate knock off as it is his only form of recovery. This Luxray is a more support oriented mon, so the support it needs is fairly limited, however Wish passers and leech seeders are welcome partners. It is fairly susceptible to special attacks before getting a Charge boost, so bringing it in on a physical attacker is preferred. Watch out for defiant users as well, as they love the boost from Intimidate. Ground types Camerupt and Palossand can easily weather an Ice Fang and hit back hard or KO with STAB Earth Power in return (though Charge boosts can help) so it's best to have something that can get rid of those threats. Flying types are great partners to counter the ground moves aimed at Luxray.

Please feel free to add/subtract as needed. I have used this to good effect in league matches, but not sure how that would translate to tier play.
sorry for the late response but in addition to luxray not being that good overall the problem with that set is that there is no reason to use it over eelektross as a pivot for balance and over stunfisk as a physically defensive electric type since the latter also gets stealth rock and static along with better overall bulk.
your set is also complete ferroseed bait and can't do much to popular pokemon such as Mesprit so i struggle to see how it would be any good in the current metagame.

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
One thing I'd like to talk about how Z-haze is mentioned in Other Options on the C&C instead of an actual move-set for Weezing. I personally had a good amount of success with Z-haze Weezing in the past. I understand that it is not used as much anymore which Is understandable because its a different meta now then when I used to play. However I personally feel that Z-haze is notable enough mentioned more then just a quick sentence in Other Options. I understand that we talked about this on discord but I just wanted to drop it here to make it more official I guess.

Reasons why it should be added:
  • Works extremely well on bulkier archetypes such as Stall and Bulky Offense
  • Z-Haze fully heals Weezing which is extremely beneficial when ensuring Weezing's longevity throughout those longer matches
  • Haze stops set-up sweepers dead in there tracks removing their stat boosts making it a very noteworthy utility move
  • Weezing can put on immense pressure on offensive teams with Toxic Spikes and Z-Haze in the back

name: Defensive T-Spikes
move1: Toxic Spikes
move2: Sludge Bomb
move3: Will-O-Wisp / Taunt
move4: Haze
item: Icium-Z
ability: Levitate
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
========

• Toxic Spikes allows Weezing to pressure opposing by spreading status.
  • Sludge Bomb is important for hitting opposing pokemon that might try to switch-in on weezing such as Lanturn, Pyroar, and Hitmonchan.
  • Will-O-Wisp is imperative for crippling physical attackers that may prove troublesome in late game situations.
  • Taunt helps Weezing stall break, allowing it to completely shut down the likes of Ferroseed, Type-Null, and Audino.
  • Haze is run so it can shut down set up Pokemon and Z-Haze restores Weezing to full health which can improve essential for late game situations.

Set Details
========

• The ability Levitate grants Weezing an immunity to Ground-type moves which is one of its weaknesses.
  • Icium-Z is run in order fully restore Weezing’s health once thanks to Haze.
  • 252 HP EVs and 252 Defense EVs allow Weezing to be the bulkiest it can be allowing it to survive some special attacking hits while completely stopping most physical attackers.
  • The remaining 4 EVs can be dropped into Weezing’s special attack stat in order to make its STAB Sludge Bomb hit a little bit harder

Usage Tips
========

• Weezing, due to its terrific bulk makes it an excellent switch-in to Physical attacking Pokemon.
  • Weezing is able to set up Toxic Spikes against Pokemon it walls or forces out which is effectively able to spread status throughout the opposing team.
  • Sludge Bomb can be used to hit Fairy-type Pokemon and further the spread of status.
  • When Weezing is brought in on a Physical attacker it is more often than not the safest play to cripple them with Will-O-Wisp. This can also be used when forcing switches to hamper any other Pokemon that might switch in.
  • Taunt can be used to stop opposing pokemon from setting up hazards and recovering any lost HP.
  • Haze is the go to move for subduing set up sweepers that try to use Weezing as set-up fodder. Z-Haze is also the best form of recovery Weezing has access to as it restores Weezing to full health.

Team Options
========

• Wallbreakers such as Kangaskhan and Tauros greatly appreciate the pressure Toxic Spikes forces onto opposing teams. Weezing may also benefit these Wallbreakers by becoming a physical wall in order to keep them as healthy as possible.
  • Specially defensive Pokemon such as Lanturn, Hitmonchan, Komala, and Cradily can help form a great balance core with Weezing that can provide it with support when necessary.
  • Pursuit trappers are generally some of the best teammates as they trap and removal opposing Psychic types that threaten Weezing. Some of the more notable Pursuit trappers are Skuntank, Pawniard, and Liepard
  • Ghost-type Pokemon pair exceptionally well with Weezing due to their immunity to Normal-type making the move Rapid Spin unable to clear Weezing’s Toxic Spikes. These Ghost-types include Sableye, Silvally-Ghost, Golurk, and Gourgiest-Super.
  • In order to maintain its longevity throughout the battle, Weezing appreciates clerics to cure it of any status it may have acquired or restore its health. Exceptional clerics include Audino, Lanturn, Komala, and Granbull.

Last edited:
Reactions: asa
Put something along these lines in OO of Oricorio-Sensu's analysis:
"Oricorio-G can be a decent Defog user due to its good matchup against Mesprit as well as common Toxic Spike setters such as Qwilfish and Weezing. However, it struggles against some Stealth Rock setters such as Regirock and Lycanroc-Midday."
mz edit: did a version of this

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MZ
Hi guys! I was looking Fearow and I've seen a mistake: Double-Edge and Sniper aren't compatible in the same set, at least I don't find a way to get Double-Edge at the same time that Sniper. Idk if this is the threat that corrections are made, if I am mistaken please redirect me to the correct threat.

Thank you in advance

SergioRules

||blimp||
is a Community Contributor
Hi guys! I was looking Fearow and I've seen a mistake: Double-Edge and Sniper aren't compatible in the same set, at least I don't find a way to get Double-Edge at the same time that Sniper. Idk if this is the threat that corrections are made, if I am mistaken please redirect me to the correct threat.

Thank you in advance
Totally legitimate concern and I even had to look this up to make sure but Double-Edge was TM10 in Generation 1 so with virtual console, Double-Edge+Sniper is legal

This thread's purpose is to provide a way for users to suggest changes or improvements to any currently uploaded PU analyses that will be seen in a public forum.

Do not make trivial posts lacking content. This thread is only for important analysis discussion and isn't the place for anything else, and as such, it will be heavily moderated in the case of irrelevant posts.

I'm just gonna suggest two sets along with the Reading Glasses set for the Symbol-ically Terrible Pokemon Unown.

Unown Gen 7 Analysis

[OVERVIEW]

Ever since the dawn of Johto, Unown was ironically, well-known. In the worst possible ways. You might think that many years later it may have changed. Then you realize Ctrl+C Ctrl+V exists, and you realize that Unown is stuck at the bottom of the barrel. Its stats are atrocious enough to warrant a national Garbage Day, a bad typing, with infinitely better Psychic Types that exist, and its movepool is stupefyingly small, with a pathetic one move. Hidden Power, which can be any type excluding Fairy. Unown is outclassed by covering nearly every type, however, as Druddigon doesn't just have a movepool so much as a move ocean. As a Levitate user, it is hopelessly outclassed by Eelektross, who has no weakness because of its ability. As a mixed attacker, it is only good in LC. But Unown isn't LC. It's PU. Besides, Unown has worse bulk than Dusknoir, and Dusclops has better bulk with Eviolite. In fact, EVERY NFE Pokemon has better bulk with Eviolite. Comparing Eviolite users to Unown is like comparing Giratina to Chikorita. As a Pokemon, I am willing to say Spinda is a better option, with a large movepool and actually good stats for LC. Overall, you're probably gonna only be using Unown for a joke that died faster than Unown itself.

[SET]
name: A Twisted Mind Needs a Twisted Spoon
move 1: Hidden Power Psychic
move 2: N/A
move 3: N/A
move 4: N/A
item: Twisted Spoon
nature: Modest
evs: 4 HP / 252 Spa / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
If this looks even vaguely familiar, it should, because this maximizes the attack of Unplayable-nown, which still isn't much in retrospect, even with STAB, Twisted Spoon, Modest Nature, and Max Special Attack EV.

Moves
========
Hidden Power Psychic gives Lower-Than-NU-nown STAB. Needless to say, Dark Types are gonna require you to forfeit Unown. I say this as if giving up if you use Unusable-Nown isn't compulsory already.

Set Details
========
Pray to Arceus you could squeeze as much damage as you can out of Unown.
Use it on Kommo-o, who surprisingly, yet unsurprisingly, (the caveat being, you played with Unown.) will always have the upper hand in this situation. Again, Dark types mean game over. NFE Pokemon, in the same vein, spell your end as well.

Usage Tips
========
You've already lost.

[SET]
name: Screaming, Kicking, and Quick Clawing
move 1: Hidden Power of any type.
item: Quick Claw
nature: Timid

[SET COMMENTS]
You could pull a Farfetch'd and rely on luck to grab your win. Thing is, the Stick is pretty unreliable to begin with, so...

Moves
========
I recommend using moves that no Pokemon is immune to. Or resistant against. Or just use Druddigon to cover your bases.

Set Details
========
Quick Claw lets you move first. Usually. This is hard to pull off.

Usage Tips
========
You need to be committed to a mental hospital if you think this works. Only one person made this set work to beat a Shiny Virizion, and ultimately, resulted in a rage-quit-induced victory. Mysteriously, no medical records say this man was ever committed, as mad genius is better than plain madness apparently.

Team Options
========
You could try to amend Unown's flaws with a Druddigon and an Eelektross, or use a Baton Pass Pokemon to boost whatever is left of this tragedy. Or, alternatively, make a different team with the following three and add some other Pokemon, assuming you're playing singles, to give you better than an Ice-type's chance in hell.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Despite having one move to cover (almost) any type, I cannot stress enough that Druddigon and Eelektross are infinitely better options for sweeping and multi-type coverage with not just Hidden Power solitarily. The latter makes infinitely better use of Levitate, alongside a movepool as big as the 621's Open Move Ocean.

Checks and Counters
===================
I could list them off, but that would basically be reciting 99.999% of the National Dex. Rounded up, obviously. The worst case scenario, your opponent has a Dark type move to end your lineage. Or any move that isn't bypassed by Levitate.

Please let me know if I should fix anything.

I might also post an overview and Set for Dunsparce later.

Last edited:
I'm just gonna suggest two sets along with the Reading Glasses set for the Symbol-ically Terrible Pokemon Unown.

Unown Gen 7 Analysis

[OVERVIEW]

Ever since the dawn of Johto, Unown was ironically, well-known. In the worst possible ways. You might think that many years later it may have changed. Then you realize Ctrl+C Ctrl+V exists, and you realize that Unown is stuck at the bottom of the barrel. Its stats are atrocious enough to warrant a national Garbage Day, a bad typing, with infinitely better Psychic Types that exist, and its movepool is stupefyingly small, with a pathetic one move. Hidden Power, which can be any type excluding Fairy. Unown is outclassed by covering nearly every type, however, as Druddigon doesn't just have a movepool so much as a move ocean. As a Levitate user, it is hopelessly outclassed by Eelektross, who has no weakness because of its ability. As a mixed attacker, it is only good in LC. But Unown isn't LC. It's PU. Besides, Unown has worse bulk than Dusknoir, and Dusclops has better bulk with Eviolite. In fact, EVERY NFE Pokemon has better bulk with Eviolite. Comparing Eviolite users to Unown is like comparing Giratina to Chikorita. As a Pokemon, I am willing to say Spinda is a better option, with a large movepool and actually good stats for LC. Overall, you're probably gonna only be using Unown for a joke that died faster than Unown itself.

[SET]
name: A Twisted Mind Needs a Twisted Spoon
move 1: Hidden Power Psychic
item: Twisted Spoon
nature: Modest

[SET COMMENTS]
If this looks even vaguely familiar, it should, because this maximizes the attack of Unplayable-nown, which still isn't much in retrospect, even with STAB, Twisted Spoon, Modest Nature, and Max Special Attack EV.

Moves
========
Hidden Power Psychic gives Lower-Than-NU-nown STAB. Needless to say, Dark Types are gonna require you to forfeit Unown. I say this as if giving up if you use Unusable-Nown isn't compulsory already.

Set Details
========
Pray to Arceus you could squeeze as much damage as you can out of Unown.
Use it on Kommo-o, who surprisingly, yet unsurprisingly, (the caveat being, you played with Unown.) will always have the upper hand in this situation. Again, Dark types mean game over. NFE Pokemon, in the same vein, spell your end as well.

Usage Tips
========
You've already lost.

[SET]
name: Screaming, Kicking, and Quick Clawing
move 1: Hidden Power of any type.
item: Quick Claw
nature: Timid

[SET COMMENTS]
You could pull a Farfetch'd and rely on luck to grab your win. Thing is, the Stick is pretty unreliable to begin with, so...

Moves
========
I recommend using moves that no Pokemon is immune to. Or resistant against. Or just use Druddigon to cover your bases.

Set Details
========
Quick Claw lets you move first. Usually. This is hard to pull off.

Usage Tips
========
You need to be committed to a mental hospital if you think this works. Only one person made this set work to beat a Shiny Virizion, and ultimately, resulted in a rage-quit-induced victory. Mysteriously, no medical records say this man was ever committed, as mad genius is better than plain madness apparently.

Team Options
========
You could try to amend Unown's flaws with a Druddigon and an Eelektross, or use a Baton Pass Pokemon to boost whatever is left of this tragedy. Or, alternatively, make a different team with the following three and add some other Pokemon, assuming you're playing singles, to give you better than an Ice-type's chance in hell.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Despite having one move to cover (almost) any type, I cannot stress enough that Druddigon and Eelektross are infinitely better options for sweeping and multi-type coverage with not just Hidden Power solitarily. The latter makes infinitely better use of Levitate, alongside a movepool as big as the 621's Open Move Ocean.

Checks and Counters
===================
I could list them off, but that would basically be reciting 99.999% of the National Dex. Rounded up, obviously. The worst case scenario, your opponent has a Dark type move to end your lineage. Or any move that isn't bypassed by Levitate.

Please let me know if I should fix anything.

I might also post an overview and Set for Dunsparce later.
not the place to write an analysis and not following the protocol.
unown is not up for reservation but if you want to contribute check this thread http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pu-c-c-reservation-list-read-op-before-posting.3614446/

Darkinium

the mighty nuaguunibi
Primeape:

Choice Band (Close Combat/U-turn/Earthquake/Gunk Shot): Earthquake is given its own slot. However, in my opinion, being able to hit Oricorio-Sensu and Swanna on the switch with Stone Edge is far more valuable than "useful neutral coverage which doesn't suffer Gunk Shot's accuracy problems." (Moves section of the CB set) Common Earthquake targets/justifications include OHKOing Magmortar and Skuntank; however, a Banded Close Combat decimates both. In conclusion, I think Earthquake should be replaced with Stone Edge on Primeape's CB set because of the lack of need for Earthquake, as well as the greater usefulness of Stone Edge.
mz edit: will do this in a sec, set is fairly old

Aaronboyer

Something Worth Fighting For
is a Contributor to Smogon
https://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/pokemon/carbink/

I would like to propose a change to the Stealth Rock Carbink set so that the second moveslot changes from Moonblast / Stone Edge --> Rock Slide / Moonblast (If you guys would be in favor of not slashing Moonblast at all that's okay too)

Moonblast's description mentions it use to prevent Sableye from using Carbink as Taunt bait. The proposed change still keeps Carbink from being Taunt bait, and it should be noted that Sableye's relevance has sharply declined since PU has received Spiritomb. As for the change from Stone Edge to Rock Slide, it currently mentions that it prevents Oricorio-G from setting up on Carbink with Substitute and Calm Mind and breaks Jynx's Substitute reliably, which Moonblast is unable to do. While this is true, Stone Edge's low PP and shaky accuracy very well made lead to Oricorio-G or Jynx or any Pokemon for that matter being able to SubStall and drain all of its PP. Rock Slide is still able to reliably break the Substitute of both Pokemon and is near impossible to PP stall out. Lastly, Rock Slide should be slashed first over Moonblast for a number of reasons. Spiritomb can take a Moonblast or two if its a Calm Mind RestTalk variant as it uses Carbink as setup fodder, something Spiritomb would be able to do regardless if Carbink was running Rock Slide or Moonblast. On the other hand, Rock Slide hits the aforementioned Oricorio-G, Jynx, and perhaps most importantly, Taunt Pyroar. For these reasons, I believe that Rock Slide should be considered over Moonblast and Stone Edge for Carbink's Stealth Rock analysis.

A few suggestions:
  • Fire Punch having the second slash on Munchlax with Body Slam and Regirock with Earthquake (hits Ferroseed, an extremely prevalent threat in the current meta, and in munch's case it also prevents it from being walled by ghost types, an advantage over type null as a bulky win con)
  • Move Sturdy on Regirock's set to OO. Due to Regirock's natural bulk, it can survive everything up to Modest Gorebyss Hydro Pump (barring Z move), and on the physical end of the spectrum, the best example I can think of where it's getting OHKOed is by a +Attack All-Out Pummeling from Carracosta after a Shell Smash boost. Using Regirock as an emergency stop against Water-type breakers is quite suboptimal (and you'd usually use something else to check them) and therefore is a niche that seems more appropriate in OO. This is, of course, without mentioning the fact that Clear Body's utility (blocking Parting Shot, letting you wall special Skuntank, etc.) overshadows Sturdy by a good margin.
  • Spiritomb: a section for Dark-types in the Checks and Counters section. This is due to a few of them, specifically Absol, Raticate-Alola, Shiftry, and Special Skuntank, having ways of exploiting Crotomb, either through being able to safely boost up against it and breaking through it, or by eventually overpowering it after a few Acid Spray drops, respectively.

Last edited:
Quick note: if we focus on PU mons "by use" (above 3,41% of uses), we see that there are 4 very used NFEs: Gurdurr, Ferroseed, Clefairy and Haunter. In the Strategy dex, they are rightly classified in the PU tier (so far no problem). On the other hand and unlike gen 6, other viable NFEs are not categorized as PU. Interesting comparison: Venipede in gen 6, which had a small niche as suicide lead, has a double categorization while Tangela in gen 7, which is much more used, does not even tier. Unless the policy has changed on this point, should not these NFEs be classified as PU?

For a complete overview:
• there are the NFEs already having an analysis (without categorization of course): Combusken, Kadabra, Munchlax, Murkrow, Pawniard, Servine, Tangela and Togetic;
• there are those who are present in the VRs but without analysis: Misdreavus, Roselia, Bronzor, Natu, Vigoroth, Dusclops, Hippopotas, Metang and Sliggoo;
Type: Null is a special case because it's already classified as PU but it not very used (the problem does not arise for him);
• finally, Pikachu and Prinplup have a moveset but they are apparently not viable (I guess their page must be blank).

Darkinium

the mighty nuaguunibi
Suggestions:

Skuntank:
  • Add Rocky Helmet to one of the main sets or OO. It's seen a decent amount of play to rack up extra chip, especially when paired with Aftermath and Sucker Punch

Aurorus:
  • Move Refrigerate to OO. The slight chip towards teammates and hitting through Substitute isn't really worth the extra power and chip from Blizzard and hail. Pokemon reliant on weather-dependant recovery such as Musharna and Lurantis aren't so common that it should be on the main set. It should especially be removed from Choice Scarf because the loss of weather MU is unfortunate.
  • The CB set mentioned in OO should probably mention Stone Edge
Clefairy:
  • Thunder Wave should be moved to OO. The utility of Toxic is way too good to pass up imo.
Gurdurr:
  • If Poison Jab is in OO, I think Ice Punch and Stone Edge would be worthy enough to be so too. They hit Swanna and Oricorio-Sensu on the switch, who are definitely more relevant than the given targets of Poison Jab, Silvally-Fairy and Granbull.
Kingler:
  • Superpower and Knock Off should probably switch places. The reliable hit on Ferroseed is really important, and Superpower is definitely a better choice alongside SD to blast past checks such as Gastrodon, Poliwrath, and Lurantis.
Pyroar:
  • Firium Z should go over LO in the first set. It's both the more popular choice on Taunt sets to bluff Choiced sets, and helps blast through Eelektross, Clefairy, etc. faster. If not on the main sets at least in OO.
Regirock:
  • Clear Body should be the first slash, as it helps a lot in blocking Parting Shot from Silvally forms and Alolan Persian, which will happen a lot more often than Regirock being OHKOed from full health, given how bulky it is and how easily chipped it gets.
Swanna:
  • LO even being slashed feels really iffy, Flyinium Z is just amazing for the reliable nuke and hit. LO also wears you down a whole lot quicker.

Hitmonchan:
  • Agility might warrant a mention in OO as a late-game sweeper.
Jynx:
  • The Shadow Ball mention in OO should be axed imo; Grumpig and Bronzor are way too uncommon to warrant a slot.
Primeape:
  • EQ should be dropped from the Choice Scarf set, as hitting Clefairy is way more important imo than doing only a small chunk to Spiritomb. If it's not going to be removed then it should at least be put onto the CB set, which can actually do a decent dent. (I know I made a post a while ago asking for it to be removed, but in hindsight it probably should've switched with Gunk Shot given Clefairy is crushed by CB CC.) Not necessarily saying to put EQ back, but if Scarf has EQ, CB definitely should too.
Weezing:
  • I dunno if I like Toxic Spikes being slashed, the chip is super, super good, especially since more teams are using Hitmonchan as their remover jn the age of Spikestack.

Aggron:
  • Chople Berry could see a slash on the SR set or in OO, as it helps against Hitmonchan, Primeape, and the upcoming PuP Kangaskhan set.
Alolan Exeggutor:
  • Yache Berry should be removed from OO, nothing really carries Ice-type coverage anymore and Aurorus murks you anyways.
  • CB might seem memey but Eggy has a sufficient move pool and Attack stat to break through usual answers such as Clefairy and Type: Null.
Lanturn:
  • Substitute might seem bizarre, but it lets you beat Ferroseed without HP Fire and opposing Toxic Lanturn.
  • Signal Beam should be removed seeing it doesn't offer much if anything over Ice Beam.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Quick note: if we focus on PU mons "by use" (above 3,41% of uses), we see that there are 4 very used NFEs: Gurdurr, Ferroseed, Clefairy and Haunter. In the Strategy dex, they are rightly classified in the PU tier (so far no problem). On the other hand and unlike gen 6, other viable NFEs are not categorized as PU. Interesting comparison: Venipede in gen 6, which had a small niche as suicide lead, has a double categorization while Tangela in gen 7, which is much more used, does not even tier. Unless the policy has changed on this point, should not these NFEs be classified as PU?

For a complete overview:
• there are the NFEs already having an analysis (without categorization of course): Combusken, Kadabra, Munchlax, Murkrow, Pawniard, Servine, Tangela and Togetic;
• there are those who are present in the VRs but without analysis: Misdreavus, Roselia, Bronzor, Natu, Vigoroth, Dusclops, Hippopotas, Metang and Sliggoo;
Type: Null is a special case because it's already classified as PU but it not very used (the problem does not arise for him);
• finally, Pikachu and Prinplup have a moveset but they are apparently not viable (I guess their page must be blank).
Disclaimer: I may or may not have totally misinterpreted what you're going for here, but I don't actually see any issues/inconsistencies.
Tangela/Combusken/etc. usage is clearly below the 3.41% cutoff in those stats you linked and therefore should not be classified as PU, I see no issues there. The Pokemon on the VR without an analysis will receive one eventually, we just haven't gotten around to them yet. They're clearly in progress or up for reservation though. Prinplup got a set while it was considered viable before getting unranked, and Pikachu technically should never have one and I don't know who added one but given its sheer popularity, I have no issues giving at least a basic, slightly better sample set to put newer players on the right path. I am pretty sure all LC Pokemon which got PU analyses automatically got the same dual classification as Venipede (see: Munchlax), which is consistent and fine. Type: Null is PU because it's never obtainable at level 5, never possibly legal in LC, and therefore its base qualification is just PU. This is because it's a gift at level 40 (or something) and is unbreedable.

Darkinium pretty much all of those are good and will get implemented soonish.

Disclaimer: I may or may not have totally misinterpreted what you're going for here, but I don't actually see any issues/inconsistencies.
Tangela/Combusken/etc. usage is clearly below the 3.41% cutoff in those stats you linked and therefore should not be classified as PU, I see no issues there. The Pokemon on the VR without an analysis will receive one eventually, we just haven't gotten around to them yet. They're clearly in progress or up for reservation though. Prinplup got a set while it was considered viable before getting unranked, and Pikachu technically should never have one and I don't know who added one but given its sheer popularity, I have no issues giving at least a basic, slightly better sample set to put newer players on the right path. I am pretty sure all LC Pokemon which got PU analyses automatically got the same dual classification as Venipede (see: Munchlax), which is consistent and fine. Type: Null is PU because it's never obtainable at level 5, never possibly legal in LC, and therefore its base qualification is just PU. This is because it's a gift at level 40 (or something) and is unbreedable.
Indeed, I misspoke (it does not surprise me, my english is pretty bad). To summarize quickly:
Carabaffe Smogon.png
Venipatte Smogon.png
Saquedeneu Smogon.png
Goinfrex Smogon.png
Besides, I was wrong about Togetic: it's in the same situation as Type: Null (a little used NFE but still categorized as PU). So, I guess you have to standardize all that.

Last edited:
I have some Support Movesets for Jigglypuff

Jigglypuff @ Eviolite
Nature: Sassy
Ability: Friend Guard
EVs: 4 HP/252 Def/252 SpDef
IVs: 0 Atk/0 Spe
-Ally Switch
-Protect
-Heal Pulse
-Icy Wind

Jigglypuff @ Eviolite
Nature: Relaxed
-Wish
-Protect
-Heal Bell/Disable
-Heal Pulse

Jigglypuff @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD
-Protect
-Disable
-Perish Song
-Heal Pulse

Please Tell Me What You Guys Think Of the Movesets!!

friend guard is a useless ability in singles, and pu is a completely different metagame than doubles. furthermore, none of these sets seem all that useful in singles either, with some of them, like that wish set, being outclassed by other pokemon like audino. - asa

I have some Support Movesets for Jigglypuff

Jigglypuff @ Eviolite
Nature: Sassy
-Ally Switch
-Protect
-Heal Pulse
-Icy Wind

Jigglypuff @ Eviolite
-Wish
-Protect
-Heal Bell/Disable
-Heal Pulse

Jigglypuff @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD
-Protect
-Disable
-Perish Song
-Heal Pulse

Please Tell Me What You Guys Think Of the Movesets!!

friend guard is a useless ability in singles, and pu is a completely different metagame than doubles. furthermore, none of these sets seem all that useful in singles either, with some of them, like that wish set, being outclassed by other pokemon like audino. - asa
This is for Doubles Sorry About That

heres a wormadam trash set i worked on and really enjoyed

name: setup wall
move 1: Quiver dance
move 2: Flash Cannon
move 3: Bug Buzz
move 4: Toxic/hidden power rock/stealth rocks/substitute
item:leftovers
ability: Anticipation
nature: Calm
evs: 252 Hp 252 Spa 4SpD

Last edited:
cant post full movesets ig (got deleted) but heres a wormadam trash set

name: setup wall
move 1: Quiver dance
move 2: Flash Cannon
move 3: Bug Buzz
move 4: Toxic/hidden power rock/stealth rocks/substitute
item:leftovers
ability: Anticipation
nature: Calm
evs: 252 Hp 252 Spa 4SpD
It's not that you can't post full movesets, it's that you have to follow the proper procedures and reserve a pokemon that is available. Also Wormadam-Trash already has an analysis being worked on, which mods told you already (i.e they didn't delete it)

I don’t know if it is important or not, but beautifly’s special attack stat is 90 on Bulbapedia but on the analysis page, it is displayed as 100.

tondas

YOU DONT WANT NO PROBLEMS YOU JUST TALKING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I don’t know if it is important or not, but beautifly’s special attack stat is 90 on Bulbapedia but on the analysis page, it is displayed as 100.
It received a stat buff going from gen 5 to gen 6, you're likely looking at the pre-gen 6 stats.

Carnivine technically doesn't have an analysis yet but Natural Gift and Watamel berry is slashed with Swords Dance and Life Orb respectively. However, Watamel Berry is unable to be found in any gen 7 games.
mz edit: fixed this issue

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)