Project PU Matchmaking! Season 3, Week 5: Rotom-Frost! (Submission phase)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTF

girl
is a Tiering Contributor
Voting results

This week we have two tied Top Cupids being PhantomHurious and KellyKafka with Kangaskhan and Stoutland respectively. Special shoutout to tondas for sharing his 500th post in our thread with Lilligant and the very good submissions from jonago and Oathkeepre.

Week 6 Matchmaking: Carracosta

Can you believe we're in week 6? Me neither. Four more weeks remain until we crown our First Top Cupid.

Carracosta @ Fightinium Z / Life Orb / Rockium z
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower / Hydro Pump / Liquidation / Ice Beam​

For this week, we are matching Carracosta as suggested by many users in chat. Carracosta is a really potent offensive sweeper with Shell Smash snd good defensive typing that allow it to set up on certain mons including Skuntank and Choice-locked Dodrio. However, it does struggle to fit on teams and requires team support to remove threats that stop it from either setting up or sweeping. That's where you guys come in and match it with the best mon that allows it to reach its full potential.

Good luck and may the best cupid win!

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus

Oricorio-Pom-Pom @ Rocky Helmet / Flyinium Z
Ability: Dancer
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Revelation Dance / Defog

Since Carracosta has a hard time against Fighting types, including Poliwrath which walls it, and Grass Types like Lilligant, Bellossom, etc, Oriocorio Pom Pom can deal with all of these problems with its nifty Hurricane. Sure, Solid Rock can reduce the damage taken, but in the long run, Costa wants to sweep effectively and Pom Pom allows it to do that.​

Last edited:

Abomasnow @ Life Orb
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain / Wood Hammer
- Earthquake / Focus Blast
- Ice Shard​

Bulky Grass Types are the bane of Costa's existence. This Christmas Tree deals with bulky grass types as well as offensive ones (immuninty to sleep powder helps). It also helps weakening Fighting types which is a common threat for Carracosta. Its main switch ins such as type:null are free set up foods for carracosta. Costa also switches in on choice locked dodrio and physical skunk well which both can potentially KO Aboma. Double priority is a boon against offensive builds especially with hail making it easier for costa to sweep late game. Aboma serves as a breaker here weakening threats to Costa and are almost flawlesly perfect together. :wink:​

ishtar

your affection
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
PU Leader

Victreebel @ Grassium Z

Ability: Chlorophyll

EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Modest Nature

IVs: 0 Atk

- Leaf Storm

- Sludge Bomb

- Sleep Powder

- Strength Sap

Victreebel is one of the many useful Grass-type Pokemon that can function well in the tier, alongside threats like Lilligant, Exeggutor-Alola, Roselia, Abomasnow, Tangela, Bellossom. The main niche that sets Victreebel apart from these is its move Strength Sap, as well as having a powerful base Special Attack and a secondary typing in Poison.

I feel like pointing out this fact is relevant for this discussion, since the combination of these two things (Strength Sap + Grass/Poison type) allows it to threaten many of the common wallbreakers and sweepers that Carracosta struggles with, even allowing the turtle to setup in front of Pokemon that would normally check it due to their loss of power provided by Strength Sap.

For one, Victreebel is able to beat many of the Fighting-types in the tier such as Gurdurr and Hitmonchan (yes, it does beat Ice Punch Hitmonchan 1 v. 1) that often trouble Carracosta due to their priority Mach Punch. Victreebel is also able to come in on most Lilligant sets, since it resists its Grass-type STAB move and can’t be put to sleep by it. You do need to scout for Z-Hyper Beam as well as a potential HP Ground, since Victreebel doesn’t have the greatest defenses, but that can be said about any other Pokemon that “checks” a certain Lilligant set since it can run so many different lures. It can OHKO it easily with a Sludge Bomb, and it can do the other Grass-Types such as Tangela.

In return, Carracosta is able to check many Flying-type Pokemon that bother Victreebel, such as Dodrio and Swanna, but the main point of this pairing is to allow Carracosta to Shell Smash safely, so it can sweep late-game.
252+ SpA Victreebel Bloom Doom (195 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Gurdurr: 337-397 (90.1 - 106.1%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Victreebel Bloom Doom (195 BP) vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Hitmonchan: 178-211 (58.9 - 69.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Victreebel Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Lilligant: 342-404 (121.7 - 143.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Victreebel Sludge Bomb vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Bellossom: 270-320 (76.4 - 90.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Victreebel Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 362-428 (108.3 - 128.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Equally, it must be pointed out that despite Victreebel's low defenses, its actually able to beat Mudsdale and Skuntank in a 1 v 1 scenario thanks to Strength Sap. I decided to go for Sleep Powder on this set instead of something like HP Rock since I feel like Strength Sap can work as a great way of making an opposing team lose momentum. It can sometimes make the user lose momentum though, since Victreebel wants to be as healthy as possible to take on so many threats. For this reason, I felt like Sleep Powder allows the player to stop the opposing team from gaining momentum on potential switch ins that the Grass-type mon might not appreciate. Victreebel is also able to beat threats such as Specs Aurorus, since its faster and its able to OHKO it with a Leaf Storm. While neither of these Pokemon can safely switch in, it must be pointed out due to its ability to pressure opposing threats that might bother Carracosta.
252+ SpA Victreebel Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mudsdale: 444-524 (109.9 - 129.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Victreebel Bloom Doom (195 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Skuntank: 217-256 (62.3 - 73.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

252+ SpA Victreebel Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Aurorus: 416-492 (107.4 - 127.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

From experience, I can definitely say that Victreebel is one of those Pokemon that has a lot to offer against offensive teams that rely on slow wallbreakers and sweepers or simply common hazard setters and hazard removers such as the aforementioned Pokemon. For the people that haven’t tried this Pokemon, I truly recommend it and I really feel like it works well alongside Carracosta, providing momentum, stopping setup and checking most of the Grass types and Fighting types in the tier.

As a recommendation, Sandslash-Alola works really well with these two, since using it alongside Victreebel provides players with a way of scouting for potential lures or a Z-Hyper Beam from Lilligant as well as covering up for potential Ice weakness. Spike setters are also beneficial for this core since Victreebel is able to force out so many Pokemon. Slow pivots such as Mesprit also allow minimum damage against Victreebel and equally support the Spike stack process by setting up Stealth Rocks.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
Dugtrio-Alola

Jolly
Tangling hair
EV's: 252 Attack 252 Speed 4 Hp
Item: Focus sash
- Iron head
- Earthquake
- Memento
- Stealth rock

This guy can setup hazards with the mentioned above set or lure common Carracosta threats in with the sub toxic set.
With memento support Carracosta can potentially get off a second shell smash and outspeed the terror that is scarf Mesprit which to me is one of the bigger threats.

Provided the counters have been dealt with this guy can really set you up for a powerful sweep​

Greybaum

GENTLEMAN, THIS IS DEMOCRACY MANIFEST
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Electrode @ Light Clay
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Taunt
- Explosion
I spoke with PTF prior to Carracosta becoming the Matchmaking mon of the week and he gave me permission to nominate a specific unranked mon as a partner; Electrode.

When using Carracosta, you need to consider why you're using it over Omastar. Omastar has both more speed and more power and as a result has far more presence prior to Shell Smashing. What Carracosta has over Omastar is bulk; it is far easier to set up Shell Smash with Carracosta without either dying or being chipped into range of priority. When using Carracosta you are dedicating it to a Shell Smashing role.
Dual Screens takes full advantage of this, combining Carracosta's respectable bulk and fantastic ability in Solid Rock with Reflect/Light Screen to halve all damage taken.

As an example of what this allows;
252 Atk Primeape Close Combat vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Carracosta through Reflect: 148-175 (51.2 - 60.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Dodrio Jump Kick vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Carracosta through Reflect: 85-101 (29.4 - 34.9%) -- 14.3% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Kabutops Stone Edge vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Carracosta through Reflect: 88-104 (30.4 - 35.9%) -- 43.4% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Manectric Thunderbolt vs. -1 0 HP / 4 SpD Solid Rock Carracosta through Light Screen: 202-238 (69.8 - 82.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO​

No common Choice Scarf user (bar Lilligant) is able to revenge kill you with any attack, even allowing you to set up a second Shell Smash. It's worth noting that this is at -1, as you will take far less damage when using White Herb.

136+ Atk Iron Fist Hitmonchan Mach Punch vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Carracosta through Reflect: 59-70 (20.4 - 24.2%)
252 Atk Skuntank Sucker Punch vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Carracosta through Reflect: 54-63 (18.6 - 21.7%)​

Similarly, it becomes near impossible to chip Carracosta into range of any priority moves.

This restricts Carracosta's answers to either sacking multiple Pokemon to stall out Screens, or to Pokemon such as Gastrodon and Quagsire that can take a hit. As a result, pairing this core with another Pokemon such as Lilligant or Bellossom that can abuse said Pokemon (As well as Screens) is recommended.
I feel that this replay is a good example of what Carracosta can do under screens; had it not been for the Stone Edge miss, this was a clean 6-0.

Finally, to clarify why Electrode is the best screens setter; Taunt and Explosion. Meowstic is a momentum sponge and Mesprit does not have the speed necessary to pull off this set without being Taunted by Pokemon such as Froslass. Both are incredibly weak to Defog (especially from Skuntank, who is immune to Prankster Thunder Wave/Yawn) whereas Electrode has the fastest Taunt in the tier, as well as Explosion to keep momentum without forcing Carracosta to take a hit prior to setting up. I could go into more detail, however this post is primarily about Carracosta, not this little ball of joy. Thanks for reading.

‣ When thinking about partners for Carracosta, instantly things that lure in Normal (Kang/Stout), Flying and Ice Types (Alolaslash, locked Aurorus/Aboma) as well as Skuntank came to mind because these are the matchups Carracosta likes to be in. Also they should punish Gastrodon, Poliwrath and Quagsire and suggest a way to cover grass types since these are matchups Carracosta definitely does not like.

However, I never thought that a Pokemon could fullfill that roles all at once...

UNTIL I FOUND THAT!

@ Eviolite /Natural Cure
252 HP / 232 SpDef / 24 Spe / Careful
- Spikes/Toxic Spikes
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain​

‣ In general, I think Roselia is a very decent pick for Hazard stacking in the current meta since its offenses aren't something to laugh at (which stops it from being too passive).
‣ What lets it stand out from the other Grass types mentioned (Victreebel, Lilligant, Aboma), is its ability to switch into threatening opposing Grass Types (especially Lilligant) repeatedly and threaten them out with Sludge Bomb.
0 SpA Roselia Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Abomasnow: 222-264 (69.1 - 82.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Abomasnow Blizzard vs. 248 HP / 232+ SpD Eviolite Roselia: 211-250 (69.6 - 82.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage
-> Maybe not so repeatedly but it puts it in SR range after Life Orb and Sludge Bomb damage at least.

0 SpA Roselia Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Lilligant: 246-290 (87.5 - 103.2%) -- 25% chance to OHKO​
-> KO after rocks

0 SpA Roselia Sludge Bomb vs. +1 0 HP / 0 SpD Lilligant: 164-194 (58.3 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO​
-> still a 2HKO after one QD

252+ SpA Life Orb Ludicolo Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 232+ SpD Eviolite Roselia: 125-148 (41.2 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO​

‣ Also, what I think many people forget, is the fact that grass types threaten out Gastrodon, Quagsire and Poliwrath which hinders Carracosta from sweeping a bit (because it's harder to get the necessary chip on them for Carracosta to put in work). Surely Roselia does that too but at least it can punish them with chip damage from Spikes or Toxic Spike damage.
‣ Lastly, its ability to lure in all those aforementioned physical threats (Alolaslash, Skuntank (wants to defog on it); Flying and Normal Types (they want to break through it)), that give Carracosta an easy item to set up, is another plus for Roselia as a partner. Of course, that means you have to sac it in the process, however, you don't lose momentum if you continuously click Spikes while trying to sac it.

@ Fightinium Z / Solid Rock
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe / Adamant
- Shell Smash
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet​

‣ For the Carracosta Set, I'd prefer the Fightinium-Z one since it appreciates Toxic Spikes or normal Spikes to be layed out in order for it to pick up the KOs on Poliwrath or Gastrodon or to slowly weaken Quagsire (However, Quagsire obviously is nearly impossible to wear down with Carracosta. But at least it can do almost half with the Z-Move. Often times its just better to switch out Carracosta for Roselia the second Quag came in because it is the easiest switch in to Carrac anyway).

252+ Atk Carracosta Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Quagsire: 102-120 (25.8 - 30.4%) -- 1.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Carracosta All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Quagsire: 160-189 (40.6 - 47.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
-> So lets calc with 3 Spikes + Rocks (best case): Superpower on the switch (min. 25%) + 25% Spikes + 6% Stealth Rock (=56) + Allout-Pummeling (min: 40%) - 12 % Lefties recovery it gains in the process means that it for sure checks Carracosta reliably living with 16% (unfortunately). With some good roles, Rocky Helmet over Leftovers on Quag, some chip beforehand or everything combined you could KO it. Buuuut thats difficult...As I said. :^) With two layers of Toxic Spikes you might have an easier time because it forces your opponent to attack immediatly unless he wants to get chipped down more and more by the bad poison (which would open up the door for other teammembers). It's preference really, still I think Spikes are way better (considering the calcs vs Gastrodon and Poliwrath).

+2 252+ Atk Carracosta All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Poliwrath: 297-350 (77.3 - 91.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Carracosta All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gastrodon: 365-430 (85.6 - 100.9%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO​
-> For both of them, the boost from Shell Smash as well as two layers of Spikes are needed to KO. Way easier for Carracosta to handel than Quagsire.

‣ That concludes this week's suggestion from me. However, I want to point out some flaws of the core and how to handle it when building around it.
Abomasnow, Articuno (especially one with Defog) and Mesprit are troublesome for both Roselia and Carracosta. So you might wanna put something into the team that somewhat helps out with those. Alolan Sandslash might be the glue you are looking for. Checking all of them offensively and defensively (minus offensive 3 Attacks Articuno and Fblast Aboma). The fact that its Stealth Rocks doesn't allow Articuno to Defog so easily is a big help as well. In the end, it's important, for that core to work, that the Hazards are there to stay. So you could run Rapid Spin over SR as well if you don't want to rely on Defog as your removal.

Last edited:

Lilligant @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Energy Ball
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Healing Wish

Carracosta as we (hopefully) all know loses to Quagsire severely and also dies to fast scarf users. Lilligant, being scarfed, is able to outspeed scarfed mons like Mesprit and Aurorus with ease it can then click Leaf Storm and revenge kill them. As for Quagsire, being 4x weak to Grass and facing the best Grass type in the tier wont be fun. This'll cause the Quagsire to switch out or even to be sacked. Lastly, Carracosta is able to stop Lilli getting bopped by a Swanna or Cuno.

252+ SpA Lilligant Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Quagsire: 816-964 (207.1 - 244.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Lilligant Leaf Storm over 2 turns vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mesprit: 299-353 (99.3 - 117.2%) -- guaranteed KO in 2 turns after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Lilligant Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Aurorus: 440-522 (113.6 - 134.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Carracosta Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Articuno: 636-748 (166 - 195.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Carracosta Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Swanna: 458-542 (157.3 - 186.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

P.S I am aware that Scarf Lilli runs Timid but for this core I'd use Modest.

Last edited:

PTF

girl
is a Tiering Contributor

PTF

girl
is a Tiering Contributor
Results

Pokémonsprite_565_Rückseite_XY.gif

This weeks winning match is KellyKafka with Victreebel! Congratulations my friend, very well deserved. You are on top of the leaderboard with a good margin over your competitors.

Not to worry however, since there are four more weeks until the first season of Matchmaking ends. This could be anyone's game.

We have two runner ups: Oathkeepre's Oricorio and jonago's Roselia. Good job guys and thank you to all those who participated.

Pokémonsprite_315_Weiblich_XY.gif
("You cuties have plans later" said Carracosta as Victreebel was away on holidays ;))

This weeks single mon that's looking for a partner is the black fat cat - Persian-Alola!

Persian-Alola @ Darkinium Z / Life Orb / Leftovers
Ability: Fur Coat
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Parting Shot

OR

Persian-Alola @ Darkinium Z / Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Parting Shot
- Taunt
- Foul Play
- Toxic

Persian-Alola can run two fine sets in this meta. One is a fine bulky pivot set and the other is a Nasty Plot late game cleaner set. The good speed and ability to create momentum with Parting Shot has distinguished this mon as very useful on offensive and bulky offence teams. This week, let's explore the potentials of Persian-Alola and pair it up with mons that benefit thoroughly from it. The cores could be offensive or defensive and you can pair either the bulky pivot set or the NP set. Good luck!

EDIT: Check out Oathkeepre's Victim of the Week here: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...k-week-41-drampa.3615690/page-30#post-8011294 where they discussed the checks and counters for Persian-A. This could be very beneficial in formulating your matches.

Last edited:

Raichu-Alola @ Life Orb / Aloraichium Z
Ability: Surge Surfer
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute

Raichu-Alola pairs up with Persian-Alola here very nicely. To start with, Alolachu with Substitute is able to break stall fairly easily and set up Nasty Plot. This paired up with its dual STAB and Life Orb is sure to break many many teams. However, Alolachu, being quite frail in Defense, suffers from Sucker Punch users if a Substitute is not put up. This is where Bulky Pivot Persian-Alola swoops in and is able to Toxic these Pokemon if possible and if not, it gets a free Parting Shot. This allows Alolachu to come back in easily and set up NP again, but this time it doesnt have to worry about Sucker Punch users, noteably Skuntank. Another thing Persian does for Alolachu is Z-Parting Shot. This is vital to the core as it allows Alolachu to beat Skuntank reliably and come back onto the field without having to worry about getting hit. Lastly, Alolachu is able to break Pokemon like Gurdurr and Hitmonchan that threaten Persian without breaking a sweat.

-1 252 Atk Skuntank Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Raichu-Alola: 210-248 (80.4 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Raichu-Alola Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Skuntank: 460-542 (132.1 - 155.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Raichu-Alola Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Gurdurr: 356-421 (95.1 - 112.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
(kills if sub is up)
+2 252 SpA Raichu-Alola Stoked Sparksurfer vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Gurdurr: 532-627 (142.2 - 167.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(if using Z Alolachu)

Last edited:

Oricorio-Pom-Pom @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Dancer
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Hurricane
- Taunt

Oricorio Pom Pom is good right now in PU and we don't need to know why. But why is it arguably the best partner to offensive Persian-A?

Pom Pom switches in well to Persian's biggest threats. The fighting types. It can either come in and roost on them or it can just come and either set up and start spamming Hurricane.
Pom Pom is also a good counter to Cleafairy. Arguably the single Pokemon that Persian alola can't touch. Pom Pom can taunt Clefairy and begin to set up to wreck teams.

Pom Pom's best switch in, Lanturn, is generally weakened trying to switch in on Persian Alola giving Pom Pom a rather easy time dealing with other threats.
Other checks to Pom Pom like Eel, AloSlash are weakened/dealt with Persian Alola.

And with this I rest my case of this story.

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus

Jellicent @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Water Spout
- Hydro Pump
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam / Trick

Since Persian-A has a hard time hitting and taking Fighting moves with either set, Specs Jelli works as a good partner for it. It works as a wallbreaker to make Persian's job easier and deal with any of the 4 Fairy types we have here (Fairyvally, Granbull, Clefairy, Carbink) and it does 2HKO Clefairy w/Water Spout at full or close to full:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Jellicent Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Clefairy: 190-225 (55.2 - 65.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Will edit later!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)