Project PU Matchmaking! Season 3, Week 5: Rotom-Frost! (Submission phase)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Audino

The face of the devil never looked so sweet.

Careful nature
Regenerator
EV's: 252 Special Def. 252 Hp 4 Def.

Moves:
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal bell/Toxic
- Knock off

The momentum gain provided by the Persian & Audino pairing is not only frustrating to play against but it is incredibly solid support for just about any team be it bulky offence, stall or semi-stall
Its supportive movepool speaks for itself healing status or claming an item to restoring hp for your party.
This core can be frustratingly hard to break, pair it with a breaker or hazards and you can keep up the pressure on your opponent all while keeping your pokemon healthy.

I feel like the Defensive & Special counterpart make for a great core​

ishtar

temper madness with an even extreme
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
PU Leader

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Healing Wish
Mesprit is able to form a core with Persian-Alola thanks to its great bulk, utility and typing, which allows it to take on the Fighting-types that trouble the cat, such as Gurdurr, Hitmonchan and Primeape. The Parting Shot-Turn core supports offensive teams since pivoting is a vital part of keeping momentum and bringing in threats, mostly when Mesprit is able to secure a slow turn allowing Persian to take minimum damage. Stealth Rock also support this cause, since pivoting in and out with U-turn and Parting Shot forces your opponent to switch often and stack up damage for a potential Persian-Alola sweep, if using its NP set. While Ghost-type Pokemon arent the most common on this, Persian-Alola is able to threaten them, helping keeping Mesprit till its able to beat the Pokemon that Persian despises, such as the aforementioned Fighting-types.

Furthermore, Z-Parting Shot + Healing Wish bring a series of possibilities to offensive teams, in the sense that players can be less worried about damage taken to teammates, as long as the cat and the....fairy?elf? are able to heal them back to full once again.

0 SpA Mesprit Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Gurdurr: 236-278 (63.1 - 74.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 SpA Mesprit Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Primeape: 270-320 (99.6 - 118%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

+2 252 SpA Persian-Alola Black Hole Eclipse (160 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Sableye: 510-600 (168.3 - 198%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers recovery

One of the great things about using Mesprit alongside a Pokemon like Persian-Alola is the great amount of options that players are able to choose from in terms of sets, since Mespirt is able to deal great deals of damage with a Specs one, as well as gaining an amazing Speed with its Scarfed one, both of which support Persian by adapting to the players needs. Equally, Persian-Alola can turn into a great late-game sweeper thanks to its access to NP and moves such as Dark Pulse and Thunderbolt. Mesprits ability to run potential lures such as HP Fighting/Fire also help checking Pokemon like Sandslash-Alola, which can trouble Persian if it hasnt been able to chip it enough.

Despite these attributes and the synergy that they share by checking Fighting and Ghost-type Pokemon, I dont believe that this core has the same type of synergy as some of my earlier ones, and this is because what I attempted to do with these two was to create a core that would allow Persian-Alola to sweep (NP Set) or heavily damage Pokemon, or to use these two as pivots and momentum gainers for sweepers (when using the Pivot set). I truly believe that this core works mostly due to its versatility in sets, moves and options. Mesprit as the most versatile Pokemon in the tier arguably and Persian as a Bulky Pivot or a setup sweeper on its own. When using these two, the opportunities are almost endless. Feel like its too weak offensively? NP Persian-Alola or Specs Mesprit. Require more speed control with the pivots? Scarfed Mesprit with any Persian set. Bulky pivots? Z-Parting Shot Persian-Alola and Defensive Mesprit. Want to bring in 2/6s of your team after they've taken a lot of damage? You get the point.

Finally, this core functions well in offense, since in most cases both of these Pokemon can still function as pivots into teammates no matter the set or try to cause huge dents into opposing Pokemon. The core can be slightly weak on the specially defensive side, so Sandslash-Alola (this mon works with everything, wow), which can work as an offensive Spinner (or rocker if not running SR Mesprit) can do wonders by many checking special wallbreakers and sweepers. Equally, hail damage from the help of Aurorus supports all of the aforementioned mons, and grants the team with a powerful wallbreaker. Spike support from the likes of Lass can also be taken into consideration with this core, as well as Spike abusers that also have the possibility to sweep such as Lycanroc and Kangaskhan. This was a lot, thank you for reading!

Last edited:
► First off: Crazy that people already submitted nice partners for Persian. I especially feel like Oricorio-Pompom and Mesprit do a great job in helping Persian out. However, I think my core can function a bit better together. But let's go in detail.

Persian-Alola @ Darkinium Z / Fur Coat
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe / Jolly
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Parting Shot
- Foul Play​

► So my main idea for Persian is to abuse it's Z-Parting Shot for a Setup-Sweeper to come in and do it's thing more than one time. It is especially useful in combination with Oricorio Sensu because it toxics Sensu's least favorite switchin: Regirock. The bird really appreciates all the chip it can get on that Pokemon. Also being able to get residual on other common switchins like Lanturn or Eelektross with Toxic helps out Oricorio.
► But the biggest selling point of Persian is Parting Shot. With it's ability to lure in Fighting types and lower their attacks stats, Persian can give Oricorio a rather free turn to set up a Calm Mind or a Substitute. In addition, the Oricorio Set I suggest doesn't run a healing move. The bird can abuse the fact of Persian's existence and start setting up again after it got healed by its partner.

Oricorio-Sensu @ Leftovers / Dancer
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe / Timid
- Calm Mind
- Revelation Dance
- Hurricane
- Substitute / Hidden Power Fighting

► You might guessed it already. I didn't want Persian to be the main focus of the core and keep an eye out for a setup-sweeper to put in work. And I think, due to Oricorio's ability to check and exploit fighting types for it's setup, I found a great partner.
► With Substitute you have a good option to be a nuisance to stall and in conjunction with Persian's Toxic it really can break apart bulkier builds. HP Fighting is another move you could run, since the core struggles a bit with Alolaslash and Aggron.

► So that was my idea of an ally for Alolan-Persian. I think that core fits into any archetype you could think of (except Stall and the non existent HO). You can change up Moves for these Mons depending on the team tho. Choose what you need. However, at last I want to mention the weaknesses they have in general and how to get rid of them.
► So both Pokemon like to come in on things that use physical attacks so it would be wise to find something that can tank special attacks (Electric Types like Raichu, Eelektross, Oricorio-Pompom, Fire Types like Simisear, Water Types like Specs Jellicent, Lanturn, Swanna or Omastar or Ice Types like Froslass or Aurorus) better. Also the fact that Oricorio has a rocks weakness without Roost has to be considered. So a decent Hazard Removal is a must eitherway.
► I'd suggest Lanturn as an additional pivot. It blanket-checks the half of the special meta game anyway so it can't be a bad idea. Also it lures in Grass types that Oricorio enjoys coming in to. With Persian you also form a nice VoltShot (yes, that's a term now) core.

Last edited:
Silvally-Fairy @ Fairy Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 48 HP / 208 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Swords Dance
- Parting Shot
- Defog

Bulky pivot Alolan Persian and Silvally Fairy have a natural synergy between their typing and use of Parting Shot to maintain momentum and punish the opponent's switches. Silvally's easily one of the most underrated Pokemon in the game, as few teams are prepared to deal with a Fairy wallbreaker, let alone something that compresses so many roles. Silvally's access to Defog enables it to clear hazards without typically worrying about losing momentum. Similarly, Persian is helpful with Taunting and poisoning switches such as Regirock, as well as checking non-CB Aggron, Alolaslash, and Metang.

While Silvally covers most Fighting type checks for Persian, this core is very weak to Primeape, which will actually have its attack stat boosted to +3 by Parting Shot's interaction with Defiant. This isn't particularly concerning as Choice locked Primeapes can be played around, and +3 LO/Rockium Ape is OHKO'd 9/10 times by Foul Play after rocks.

Hey guys! My very first post really so I hope I make a unique impression in the forums :blobthumbsup:

Victreebel

Victreebel @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Strength Sap
- Encore​

So I want to pair up Nasty Plot Persian-A with Rocky Helmet Victreebel. This may look like a very unusual set to use for Victreebel but I assure you it works very well along with Persian-A.

✦ Persian-A is weak to Fairy-Type and Fighting-Type attacks, both of which this Victreebel set tanks.
✦ Victreebel, after taking a hit that it resists, it can Strength Sap its HP back to full or near full and in the process weakening the opponent's pokemon. Normally this will cause for opponents to want to switch out into something that deals with Victreebel. Usually the answers to Victreebel are dealt with Persian-A, so they make a nice couple.
✦ Rocky Helmet is a nice way to slowly deal with pokemon like Gurdurr, Hitmonchan and some times Poliwrath. Encore helps in preventing your opponent from using setup moves like Bulk Up or recovery moves like Rest and in the meantime they will trigger Rockey Helmet again if it hasn't been knocked off.

PTF

girl
is a Tiering Contributor
Voting stage

It's Valentines day and Persian-A needs to find somemon to take on a romantic get away underneath the pine trees. We have eight submissions all from esteemed users and you can click on each sprite to be redirected to their wonderful posts.

Three more weeks remain. Good luck everyone and thank you again for participating. The posts on this thread are honestly top-notch.​

PTF

girl
is a Tiering Contributor
Last edited:

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus

Primeape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Gunk Shot
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Frostom is not going to be taking down SpDef mons easily or at all. Not to mention that if it's scarfed, it's not outspeeding base 86s and it'd be relying on speed tie which isn't good either given the revenge killers in the meta like Skuntank or Lycanroc. Primeape hits those SpDef mons hard with STAB Close Combat and its other coverage moves (Gunk for Clefairy, Edge for the Oricorios if needed). Not only is Primeape the best scarfer in the tier right now but it also resists Stealth Rock, can pivot for momentum to possibly bring in Frostom safely.​

Last edited:

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Atk / 64 Def
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch

Gurdurr is a great pair with Frost-tom because of their great synergy. Firstly, type-wise they are excellent partners as Gurdurr is able to beat Pokemon that threaten Frost-tom such as Aggron and Aurorus while Frost-tom beats Pom-Pom which walls Gurdurr reliably. One other point I'd like to mention is Frost-toms (lack of) breaking abilities. It has good offensive stats but is not able to capitalize on its 105 SpAtk. Gurdurr, on the other hand, is a fantastic breaker that can cripple unprepared teams if needed.

+1 0 SpA Oricorio-Pom-Pom Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Gurdurr: 404-476 (108 - 127.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Rotom-Frost Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Oricorio-Pom-Pom: 416-492 (117.5 - 138.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Aggron Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Rotom-Frost: 452-534 (187.5 - 221.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
192+ Atk Gurdurr Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aggron: 268-316 (95.3 - 112.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:
I'll be pairing up these two!

Rotom-Frost @ Icium Z
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Blizzard
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp​

Claydol @ Earth Plate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Rapid Spin
- Shadow Ball / Psychic
- Stealth Rock​

✦ Rotom-Frost is Ice/Electric with Levitate, making it weak to Fighting, and Rock Type attacks. Claydol's Ground/Psychic typing resists both of Rotom's weakness specially from the likeness of Hitmonchan, Primeape, Gurdurr, Lycanroc and Aggron. Consequently, this Claydol set puts the hurt on those threats, which Rotom-Frost appreciates. In the other hand, Claydol's weakness to Ice types moves and bonus damage from Knock Off gets mitigated by Rotom-Frost's Ice typing and holding of Icium Z.

✦ Claydol has the ability to remove hazards (Stealth Rocks being the big one) with Rapin Spin. With Shadow Ball, Claydol has ways to defeat spin blockers like Froslass, Haunter, Silvally-Ghost, Golurk, and Jellicent. In combination with Rotom-Frost, the spin blockers that may give issues to Claydol (Froslass, Golurk, and Jellicent) are easily taken down by Rotom's own STAB attacks.

They both float so why not matchmake them after finding out how great they complement each other, LOL.

Last edited:
► So for Rotom-Frost's partner, I thought about a more uncommonly seen Victreebel Set; the SD one. The fridge is a great pivot that purely by its presence builds up pressure. If you don't have the tools to deal with it, namely Audino, Clefairy, Lanturn, Eelektross, Hitmonchan or the non-existent specially defensive Gastrodon, you will have a bad time dealing with it. But let's go in detail.

@ Iapapa Berry / Leftovers
Levitate
132 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe / Timid
- Defog / Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Blizzard​

► The Rotom set can be very flexible. Depending on you already having a Defogger or not, you change up the first moveslot while the item choice is totally based on preference.
► Thanks to the perfect coverage, you basically force a kill or lure in something more passive the second Rotom enters the field. Sometimes it can help burning threats so switching in for Victreebel can be easier.
► Additionaly, Rotom is able to pivot into Victreebel's feared Flying and Ice Type opponents and either kill or gain momentum vs them. The fact that Rotom-Frost keeps out Skuntank, for at least the turn Vic wants to setup, is a plus too (In the end, Victreebel wins the MU against physical Skunk if it got at least one SD, but you have to be really sure Skunk is that exact set, otherwise you might risk your Victreebel).

Atk Victreebel Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Skuntank: 370-436 (106.3 - 125.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Black Sludge recovery

252 Atk Skuntank Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Victreebel: 148-175 (49.1 - 58.1%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO
-1 252 Atk Skuntank Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Victreebel: 99-117 (32.8 - 38.8%) -- 99.3% chance to 3HKO
So you basically kill Skunk at +2 and you win the MU thanks to Strength Sap!

@ Grassium Z / Poisonium Z
Ability: Chlorophyll
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe / Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Strength Sap
- Poison Jab
- Power Whip​

► The Victreebel set is one I saw ktut using in a exhibition game vs many so I figured it might be not the worst idea, despite it being the less common one. However, I think SD is only beneficial for this pairing as a whole if you consider Rotom-Frost's checks.
► If you ran the specially based Z-Move Set both Pokemon would struggle against the mentioned Eelektross, Audino or Hitmonchan. On the other hand Gurdurr would have fun with that core if you ran the physically based set without SD (Idk how common Power Whip/Leaf Storm on one set is, although I find it not too bad. Eitherway I won't mention it).
► So I decided that the SD set would be the perfect choice; abusing the weaker passive mons that can't really touch Vic and breaking through the opponent after it set up.
► For the item you have the option of running the Grassium Z for overall power and destroying the likes of Aggron or Gurdurr at +2 which you can't do so reliably with the other option. The Poisonium Z is there to have an out against Flying types like Articuno or Pompom. But that is a bit prediction based since they are, for the most part, faster than Victreebel so you have to catch them on the switch.
► Defensively there is also one thing Victreebel can do to help out Rotom-Frost: Fighting Types. It isn't much tho but I for that core I focused to find something that helps breaking through teams by giving the fridge a partner that can get rid of at least 90% of its switchins. Sadly, there is one Pokemon I didn't consider for the core yet, so let's talk about it int he last paragraphs.

► Some of you might already spotted some flaws of the core. It isn't really fast, in terms of switching in to things the core is far from perfect and also there is one Pokemon that walls the two too: Specially Defensive Alolan Sandslash.
► Don't get me wrong, it can be dealt with even with that core alone. Burning it with Will-O-Wisp, Volt Switching out and than proceed to setup on his face is an option for sure but a very risky one (since you have to rely on Sandslash not predicting the Victreebel coming in).

0 Atk Sandslash-Alola Icicle Crash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Victreebel: 260-308 (86.3 - 102.3%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
One could think about throwing some Def EVs in there to live that move after rocks but that's with the cost of losing imediate power (you need at least 112 Defense EVs to live a Crash. Idk how much that is worth).

► Maybe my suggestion for a third Pokemon doesn't solve the speed problem yet but at least you'll find an option to switchin to opposing Fire, Rock and Fighting types reliably. Quagsire would be my go-to here since it covers the mentioned weaknesses on paper. It doesn't stop the feared Simisear tho but in reality: Which Pokemon really does that defensively?
► That's where you could think about something faster too. So instead of Quagsire, Scarf Swanna could be a decent pick since she outspeeds and, for the most part, kills the weaknesses of the core.

► That was a bit longer than I thought. In the end that core exists purely to breal fat teams. Think about something that patches up the speed problem and that actually pivots into offensive threats and you are good to go.

Last edited:

ishtar

temper madness with an even extreme
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
PU Leader

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish / Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Waterfall / Scald
- Recover
- Curse / Toxic

I've had such a rough time coming up with a submission for this week cause the earlier ones are already so good and Rotom-Frost is such an interesting, yet unusual mon in the meta, but I think the best way in which I could approach this was by submitting a mom that supports Frost defensively from many threats and that's of course the amazing Quagsire!

Quag is quite self-explanatory: eats hits, doesn't care about setup due to Unaware, is able to status with Toxic or Curse, turning it into an incredible wall of annoyance against many threats such as Lycanroc, Aggron, Primeape, Sandslash-Alola and Gurdurr and most physical attackers. What do all of these Pokemon have in common? They threaten Rotom-Frost.

Quagsire is able to form a defensive core with Rotom-Frost by being able to take hits from most of the threats that might want to come in on Rotom-Frost, while Rotom is able to threaten Pokemon such as Drampa, Ludicolo, Jellicent, Roselia, Victreebel, etc, though the main point of this core is to allow Quag to come in on offensive physical attackers and spread status on potential switch ins, or simply function as a decent wall against the aforementioned physical attackers. The function of this core is to put different Pokemon in range of Rotom-Frosts attacks, allowing it to do what it does best, abuse its amazing coverage.
While Quag doesn’t function as the best way of stopping Pokemon such as Gurdurr, and its unable to check wallbreakers such as Aurorus and Abomasnow, it gives Rotom-F a decent defensive backbone against a lot of threats, such as the aforementioned ones.

Pokemon such as Sandslash-Alola , scarfed Primeape (checks for Aurorus) as well as good hazard control from the likes of Skuntank function well alongside this core, as well as a secondary Gurdurr check since Quag can struggle against it depending on the circumstances. Oricorio Pom-Pom does a fantastic job here at checking both Lilligant (which outspeeds Rotom-F) and also functioning as a check to Gurdurr. I usually put calcs but, Quag is Quag and I don’t think its worth in this general post. Thank you for reading!

Last edited:

PTF

girl
is a Tiering Contributor
Voting Stage
Hello everyone. So sorry for keeping you all waiting especially with only two weeks ahead of the grand final! Uni has started again and I've been trying to be on top of studies, work, personal life and Pokemon.

This week we feature five really thought out submissions and matches to Rotom-F.

We have Oathkeepre's Primeape which forms a Volt-turn core with Rotom-F and is able to take on the special wall that give the latter trouble. Next we feature PhantomHurious's Gurdurr and Rotom-F which works well by covering each others weaknesses namely to Flying types and Fighting types. In MamboTND's stellar post we see Rotom-F hooking up with Claydol! Nice match with each mon covering each others weakness and providing SR and Rapid spin. The next two users always have the most impressive posts: jonago and KellyKafka. Jonago went ahead with a risk and matched Rotom-F with physical Victreebel. After reading his post and trying it out in a few battles it does well so definitely give his post a read. Finally, we have Mr Kafka's Quagsire who reliably supports Rotom-F defensively.

Your turn to vote

Who is Rotom-F gonna go out with this Friday night? You decide:

Who doesn't love a good fighting type to take out ;).Perhaps Rotom-F wants something a bit more reliable and grounded for Friday night. Or maybe Rotom-F just wants someone who is not like the rest and isn't afraid to be themselves.

PTF

girl
is a Tiering Contributor
Voting results

Congratulations to PhantomHurious for winning this week and hitching up Rotom-F with Gurdurr! Our runner up is the esteemed user Oathkeepre with Primeape!! Congratulations both of you and you guys have one 2 and 1 point/s respectively.

Week Nine: Primeape

Primeape has been getting a lot of love as a choice scarf/band/offensive mon in the meta. Despite the love from the PU room, he's having trouble sorting out his personal love life. That's where you guys come in! Matchmaking is in full effect and it's the second last week! Good luck

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)