Project PU Next Best Thing! (Week 20: Aurorus)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Klutverde's Z-Sunny Day Simisear

because you have the flexibility to use the Firium Z to boost the Fire STAB or to have the Spe boost; also, I was Greninja'ed.

Reactions: gum

gum

for the better
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
With a total of 7 votes, this week's winner is my Z-Hyper Beam Simisear, grats to myself I guess. Also huge thanks to maroon for breaking the tie between Z-Hyper Beam and Work Up Simisear !!

Anyway, this week's subject is...

Golurk ! Golurk is one of the tier's best offensive rocker in the tier due to its typing, which allows it to block Rapid Spin while also allowing it to threaten most Defoggers, such as Skuntank. It is also a formidable offensive check to threats like Primeape and Lycanroc, giving it more chances to come in and set rocks. Same rules as always, submissions phase ends Thursday. Have fun and good luck !

Golurk @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch
- Ice Punch

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion

Golurk @ Leftovers / Colbur Berry
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Block
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Rest

Trapping is broken so I thought of utilizing Block first. and proceded to feel super dumb forgetting golurk cant boost up with curse. but toxic stalling is still pretty nice to support mons like Lycan. mudsdale and regirock are the main targets, but it can still be used in forcing a Clefairy to stay in and proceed to be 2HKOed by Earthquake. Bonus points for being a slow death with Toxic.

Last edited:

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion

Golurk @ Light Ball
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fling
- Earthquake
- Dynamic Punch
- Shadow Punch​

This is a set that isn't amazing but generally has a niche against bulkier teams and is incredibly fun to use. Essentially it's ParaFusion Golurk, but since its damage output is already pretty high, it can be somewhat justified. Doesn't take too much effort to overwhelm many Pokemon on stall, unless you're really unlucky. Really fun set in general, EVs could be modified if you're seeing more offensive teams I suppose.

Golurk @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Focus Punch
- Substitute

SubPunch Golurk
Having Focus Punch gives Golurk a tool to dent Alolan Persian, Eelektross, and Type: Null, and Iron Fist Focus Punch is generally a strong move to throw around. Substitute also allows Golurk to punish Pokemon like Regirock and Hitmonchan by avoiding status, or simply by threatening something out. Leftovers synergizes with Substitute and gives Golurk a bit more staying power. Even if you are giving up Colbur Berry, Skuntank still cannot safely Pursuit trap it without risk, and Golurk is pretty bad against Gurdurr even with Colbur Berry attached, so it’s not the biggest lost.​

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus

Golurk @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam

Ok, call me crazy, but a Specs set could work here. Sure, it's hitting 343 with the Specs + Modest but it serves as a nice lure for mons that would otherwise always switch into it like Tangela. Tangela dies to 2 Shadow Balls,

252+ SpA Choice Specs Golurk Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 169-199 (50.5 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Skuntank still goes down to one Earth Power and it's just something people don't expect. Another nice feature? Focus Blast always hits with this set due to No Guard.​

Katy

Banned deucer.
CB golurk

shiny_golurk_by_astralfell_dd1plv7-pre.png

Golurk @ Choice Band
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Punch
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Toxic

Pretty self-explanatory: Choice Band Golurk hits like a truck with its amazing 124 Attack Base. The first 2 Slots are its STABs in Shadow Punch and Earthquake,
the third slot is Ice Punch to hit mons like Dodrio hard, since Dodrio is immune to both of Golurks STAB options. The last move is Toxic so you are able to catch here and there the opponent off guard and
you are able to wear the opponents mon down in a relatively fast time.​

Last edited:
Toxic Choice Scarf Golurk

Golurk @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch
- Ice Punch

General idea
Here we have a lure set, the Scarf one that is criminally underrated and difficult to scout because the Choice Scarf isn't the most common item you can find on Golurk.
Drain Punch is really good thanks to the ability Iron Fist + the fact that is supereffective against many Pursuit users, which generally outspeed Golurk.
With this set you don't have to clean the opponent's team, but is enough if you lure one or two traditional threats: many of them can switch into Golurk's Ghost STAB once, but can't stomach reliably one more hit.

Golurk reaches 229 Spe points, thus reaching Omastar and Cacturne before the Scarf (343).

Team(mates) support
Hazards support (mainly SR and Spikes) is really appreciated in order to pressure the opponent.

Last edited:

Sificon

I'm not here for your entertainment
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Alright, I know that KellyKafka reserved the Rock Polish set, but 24 hours passed and they didnt post the set yet so I'm gonna take that.

Rock Polish Golurk:
Golurk @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Shadow Punch
- Drain Punch
- Earthquake

I always loved using Rock Polish Golurk, so I'm happy to share this set with you guys :)
Moves are kinda obvious, Rock Polish is there to make Golurk faster than pretty much everything that isn't scarfed. Shadow Punch and Earthquake are the STAB-moves and Drain Punch is for coverage. I chose Colbur Berry because it lets you take a hit from something like Skuntank and then OHKO's it back with Earthquake. 164 Speed allows it to outspeed everything in PU that isn't scarfed (except Electrode and Ninjask) when you're at +2. 252 Atk and Adamant is there to just hit as hard as possible and the remaining 92 IV's were put into HP to make it bulky.
This set really shines when combined with hazards as it can become a threatening lategame cleaner when you're able to set up with Rock Polish.

To round it off, here are some calcs :)
252+ Atk Iron Fist Golurk Shadow Punch vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Froslass: 332-392 (96.7 - 114.2%)
252+ Atk Iron Fist Golurk Shadow Punch vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Mesprit: 176-210 (48.3 - 57.6%)
252+ Atk Iron Fist Golurk Shadow Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mesprit: 240-284 (79.7 - 94.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Iron Fist Golurk Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Guzzlord: 346-408 (53.2 - 62.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Iron Fist Golurk Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Fur Coat Persian-Alola: 158-186 (47.3 - 55.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Golurk Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 56+ Def Regirock: 168-198 (46.1 - 54.3%) -- 96.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Iron Fist Golurk Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Sandslash-Alola: 356-420 (100.5 - 118.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Iron Fist Golurk Shadow Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eelektross: 151-178 (40.3 - 47.5%) -- 53.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Iron Fist Golurk Shadow Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Jellicent: 336-396 (83.1 - 98%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:

Golurk @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 36 SpD / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch
- Ice Punch
- Drain Punch

Time to put Golurk's unique coverage and insane attack to use! This Assault Vest set can be used as a false lead to bait in the mons that normally switch in on and threaten it turn 2, such as Lurantis, and hit with a devastating attack on the switch, OHKOing the latter two and outspeeding the former two for the 2HKO. Thanks to the free slot, Drain Punch can now be used in conjunction with Shadow Punch, providing Golurk with the offensive recovery that makes many Assault Vest sets as good as they are while also giving it coverage against Normal-types such as Audino. The EVs allow for Golurk to outspeed Defensive Mesprit, one of if not the most common leads, and 2HKO it with Shadow Punch. The Speed investment also just allows for general easier matchups against stuff like SpDef Snowslash and Roselia too.

Last edited:

Squash

UTA Overlord
Golurk @ Flyinium Z
Adamant Nature
- Fly
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch

It’s time to discover a new monster ! This polisher golurk make a lot of damage to all grass and bug type and shadow punch/eq is his two stabs

Dumb Sir

Banned deucer.

Obelisk (Golurk) @ Ghostium Z
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Phantom Force
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

Golurk is severely underutilized as a wallbreaker even though its attack stat is ASTRONOMICAL in the tier, so I feel it makes no sense to not strap some appropriate weaponry onto this behemoth. This set looks to bait out common Pokemon that can usually take one hit and can set up against the Colbur Berry set.No Guard boosts Stone edge's accuracy, Phantom Force can be used as a move on its own, but more often then not is used as a nuke along side Ghostium Z. Earthquake and Stone Edge act as good coverage for hitting mons super effectively. Stealth Rock gives some utility to the set. 216 Speed + Jolly outspeeds Mild / Modest / Adamant Abomasnow, as well as hitting a jump in speed. Below you can see additional calcs fo the rest of the stats. Of course, this set is far from optimized, but as a model, Ghostium Z Golurk wreaks havoc!
252 Atk Golurk Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Lilligant: 351 (106%) - 414 (125%) -- guaranteed OHKO
152+ SpA Lilligant Giga Drain vs. 40 HP / 0 SpD Golurk: 266-314 (80.8 - 95.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Golurk Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Abomasnow: 390 (121.4%) - 460 (143.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Golurk Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Skuntank: 438 (126.2%) - 516 (148.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Skuntank Sucker Punch vs. 40 HP / 0 Def Golurk: 240-284 (72.9 - 86.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Golurk Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Oricorio-Pom-Pom: 370 (127.1%) - 436 (149.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Golurk Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Oricorio-Pom-Pom: 282 (96.9%) - 334 (114.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Golurk Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 208 HP / 0 Def Hitmonchan: 336 (114.6%) - 396 (135.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

gum

for the better
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
There's no good sets left :(

Golurk @ Leftovers / Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Block
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Rest

Golurk @ Light Ball
Adamant Nature
- Fling
- Earthquake
- Dynamic Punch
- Shadow Punch

Golurk @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Focus Punch
- Substitute

Golurk @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam

Golurk @ Choice Band
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Punch
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Toxic

Golurk @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch
- Ice Punch

Golurk @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Shadow Punch
- Drain Punch
- Earthquake

Golurk @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 36 SpD / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch
- Ice Punch
- Drain Punch

Golurk @ Flyinium Z
Adamant Nature
- Fly
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch

Obelisk (Golurk) @ Ghostium Z
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Phantom Force
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

Nice submissions everyone, thanks ! We even got some funky sets !!!

Anyway, you can now vote for your favourite set, same rules as always! Voting ends on Sunday, and sorry for being late, school is crazy lol.

As for me, I'll be voting for nameless90's Choice Scarf Golurk, which I think is a rather underrated set, even if it doesn't really act as your typical Scarfer. Still a fun mon to use and the surprise factor is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)