Project PU Next Best Thing! (Week 20: Aurorus)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gum

for the better
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
With a total of 5 votes, last week's winner is j0gurt with his SubSplit Rotom-F, congrats!!

This week's subject is...

Poliwrath! Its typing, ability, and decent stat make it a decent glue mon, although it has fallen quite a bit recently due to several meta trends. Nevertheless, it's one of the best answer we have to Rock- and Steel-types like Lycanroc, Aggron, and Alolan Sandslash. Poliwrath's offensive movepool is still rather underexplored, with options such as Psychic, Ice Beam, and even setup moves like Belly Drum. Have fun and good luck!!

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 160 SpA / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Focus Blast
- Toxic
- Protect

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Circle Throw
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Again, good luck and have fun!! Same rules as always, submission phase ends on Friday. Hmu if you have any questions!!!

Also, I want to apologize for taking so much time, I wasn't feeling very good this past week and I was busy doing other stuff. Sorry again, and hopefully this won't happen another time.

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
1562472180043.png
Poliwrath @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 HP / 156 SpA / 100 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Vacuum Wave

Specs Poli is a neat set that amps up Poliwrath's power and can punish Qwilfish in addition to the ability to pick off weakened threats with Vacuum Wave.

Last edited:
I’m obsessed with Toxic send help

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 220 Def / 40 Spe
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Scald
- Ice Beam

SubToxic Poliwrath
This version of Poliwrath maintains bulk to consistently check Rock-types, but can also take advantage of weaker Pokemon like Regirock, Alolan Sandslash, and Quagsire more effectively by setting up Substitute, which guards Poliwrath from status and stalls turns for Toxic. The set is more specially based for the ability to fish for Scald burns and special attacks being able to threaten Mudsdale and Tangela more effectively, but a more physically based moveset is likely decent as well for its higher damage output, especially with Ice Punch against Victreebel and Roselia. The given EV spread allows Subsitutes to tank Poison Jab from Jolly Skuntank, and can outspeed max speed Guzzlord.​

Poliwrath @ Psychium Z
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Hypnosis
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Bulk Up

I swear, i know i already used it last round, but i'm not some psychium-z feticist. :psynervous:
Tbh when i first started using z-moves the ones which most impressed me were sleep moves, that damn Z-Lovely Kiss Jynx destroyed me in many matches during old times, so i started trying countless other combinations, tons of Z-Sing, Z-Sleep Powder ecc to the most unthinkable pokémons.
And Poliwrath is one of the fews who actually resulted pretty good(but some others were truly amazing, my word), in this set i decided to kick out the fighting stab because its coverage doesn't hit many more pkmns than wfall+eq, and this way you can hit dangerous mons such as Lanturn(usually ohko at +1, but you need some residual dmg if it is full def) and Jellicent(2hko to offensive sets, 3hko/4hko otherwise), and btw your strongest one is Brick Break so even with stab you don't deal much more dmg than eq in any case.
But differently from Jynx you have a good bulk with Poliwrath, and being your statup move bulk up you easily resist most physical priorities and revenge killers like Primeape.
I decided to go adamant because there aren't many notable pokémons between 358(+1 adamant) and 393(+1 jolly) and you need to hit hard if you want to hurt with just a +1 atk boost.
Main problem: hypnosis is shit, so you usually prefer to use it in front of a pokémon who doesn't kill you if you miss it.

Sample log: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-937917612 (yeah, i know what you're thinking seeing that team, but Poli wasn't the only test in progress :mehowth:)

Katy

Banned deucer.
rain dance + life orb

Poliwrath.png
Poliwrath @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

Rain Dance gives Poliwrath a double in Speed due to its ability Swift Swim and Life Orb gives it some strength as its special attack stat is a little but underwhelming.
Also Poliwrath has access to a good variety of moveslots being a strong rain boosted Hydro Pump, its main special fighting STAB Focus Blast and its coverage option in Ice Beam.

Last edited:

Poliwrath @ Psychium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Hypnosis
- Waterfall
- Rock Slide/Brick Break

Are y'all ready for another gimmicky lategame cleaner??? This heavily matchup based wrath is interesting as it can abuse sleep to help it boost its attack to +6, and unlike other belly drum users it can survive most attempts at priority revenging. The main idea behind this set is to z hypnosis when the opponent switches to their poli check, then belly drum on their sleep turn/scare them out with +1 speed. Poli's stab combo isn't the best for sweeping, so I've decided to go with rock slide over brick break to imitate Kabutops avoid getting walled by Jellicent, Victreebel, and Qwilfish, although that does hinder its power vs other water types and ferrothorn. Nature is also another option to consider, I went with Jolly in order to always outspeed modest Ludicolo and other base 70-80 threats before a hypnosis boost, but Adamant is also a viable option to hit neutral targets such as Gurdurr and Mesprit harder.

Last edited:
Reactions: gum

Papi Toad @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Low Sweep
- Toxic

Choice Band Stoutland does ~50% with Return, so you can avoid the 2HKO with Lefties + Protect. Protect also annoys stuff like Eelektross and Jellicent after you toxic them. Waterfall is preferred over Scald because it does significantly more damage to mons like Froslass. I know that Scald has a chance to burn, but the basis of this set is to toxic stall. Low Sweep is there to slow down the opponent, giving Poliwrath a slight edge in stalling them.

On a side note, Substitute is a valid contender for the top move slot over Protect. I think Substitute is better than Protect when facing stuff like Audino or Regirock, but since Poliwrath's job here is to check offensive mons like Absol and Stoutland, more often than not Substitute is just another cut in Poliwrath's already poor longevity. Protect also enables Poliwrath to scout moves.

0 Atk Poliwrath Low Sweep vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Stoutland: 146-174 (46.9 - 55.9%) -- 69.9% chance to 2HKO
0 Atk Poliwrath Low Sweep vs. 136 HP / 0 Def Drampa: 152-182 (45.9 - 54.9%) -- 62.1% chance to 2HKO
0 Atk Poliwrath Low Sweep vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Abomasnow: 170-204 (52.9 - 63.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

gum

for the better
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Poliwrath @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 200 SpA / 132 SpD / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Ice Beam

Choice Scarf Poliwrath, with this spread, outspeeds Alolan Persian, Floatzel, Froslass, and slower stuff like Scyther. The investment in Special Defense allows it to tank Guzzlord's Specs / Z-Draco Meteor from full. Hydro Pump and Focus Blast are STABs, and Psychic hits Qwilfish and Victreebel, while Ice Beam allows it to hit Flying- and Grass-types like Oricorio-E, Dodrio, Scyther, Simisage, Leafeon, and aforementioned Victreebel. This set also has a fantastic matchup against Rain teams as, thanks to its typing, Swift Swim, and movepool, it can switch into threats like Kabutops and Qwilfish and K.O them. It's basically a slow-ish Choice Scarf user with good defensive utility.

Poliwrath @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 HP / 156 SpA / 100 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Vacuum Wave

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 220 Def / 40 Spe
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Poliwrath @ Psychium Z
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Hypnosis
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Bulk Up

Poliwrath @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

Poliwrath @ Psychium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Hypnosis
- Waterfall
- Rock Slide / Brick Break

Papi Toad @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Low Sweep
- Toxic

Poliwrath @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 200 SpA / 132 SpD / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Ice Beam

Thanks to everyone who submitted something, I greatly appreciate it! These were all good submissions, too. Voting phase is now up, and it'll end either Sunday or Monday. Same rules as always!

gum

for the better
With a total of 4 votes, this week's winner is m3po with their physical ToxTect Poliwrath! Congrats! Also for the people wondering about the archives, I'll update it soon.

This week's subject is...

Beheeyem! Albeit an unusual choice, Beheeyem is a threatening wallbreaker and sweeper when used correctly, and it's impossible to switch into because of its ability, Analytic. However, Beheeyem is an extremely underexplored Pokémon, it notably has an incredible movepool and decent typing. Good luck and have fun!

Beheeyem @ Psychium Z / Colbur Berry
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Nasty Plot
- Signal Beam / Hidden Power Fighting

Submission phase should end by Saturday, good luck and have fun everyone!​

Beheeyem @ Choice Specs
EVs: 76 HP / 212 SpA / 220 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Ground] / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Signal Beam​
[Inserted links are calcs for the respective Pokemon]

The perfect Specs Mesprit replacement, right? You don't have the utility like even that Mesprit set gave you for the team but at least Beheeyem can kill stuff like its predecessor did.
The set might look weird at first glance, when you think about how Analytic works - you don't want to be faster than stuff - but there is reasoning behind it. And really, it's just preference if you want to be speedy or not. I just don't like breakers that can't outspeed anything. I feel like you give up too much if you want to break Base 50s but have to take chip damage beforehand. Also: You want to nail Beheeyem's checks on the switchin, where Analytic triggers as well, so being fast doesn't hurt Beheeyem on bit.

For the EVs, I chose just enough Speed to outspeed Max Speed Modest Drampa (which isn't as common of a spread but additionally you outspeed other defensive threats like 0 speed Lanturn, 24 Speed Roselia or 32 Speed Jellicent).
76 HP EVs are nice so you tank a Skuntank Sucker Punch after Rocks as well as Crunch without rocks being up. The last 220 EVs are thrown into special attack.

I think the move choice is self-explanatory but I want to touch briefly on that too. You basically only need 3 moves to hit everything hard: Psychic STAB, Hidden Power [Something] and Signal Beam. I decided to go with two STABs, since it's nice to hit Bulky waters and Regirock/Mudsdale for example with Psychic, while you are better off hitting Eelektross, Audino and Clefairy with Psyshock.
The Hidden Power is debateable. Ground lets you hit Skuntank, which is one of the easiest switchins, for super effective damage. On the other hand, you wouldn't be able to hit Ferroseed as hard if you didn't run HP Fire - so it's on you which coverage move is more important. Signal Beam rounds up the coverage by letting you hit Guzzlord or other Psychics for super effective damage.

That was a lot of calcing. I think it was necessary to get my points across since Beheeyem is a rather unexplored Pokemon in the metagame and it's ability forces you to remember two calcs for each move - so I hope that was helpful.

Last edited:

Leni

formerly tlenit
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RUPL Champion

Beheeyem @ Normalium Z
EVs: 152 HP / 252 SpA / 104 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Hyper Beam
- Psychic
- Signal Beam

I think this is very simply explained with one-liner: good bye skuntank.

Yes, we live any hit outside of z-move from skunk and OHKO back. Anyhow z-hyper is broken with any mon that has good spatk what beheeyem indeed has. Speed is to outspeed all fatties that gives also a set up opportunity and the rest just activates Analytic and gives a nice lil boost right there, enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)