Project PU Victim of the Week! Finished

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Winners

Checks
UserPokemonSet
Katy

Counters
UserPokemonSet
Wugus
Grassium Z Victreebel (12 votes)
gum

Well, this concludes the first season of my revamp of this thread. I absolutely loved the submissions and how much activity has been going on here. With that said, I do have a new idea to introduce for the next season, which I will begin in about 1-2 weeks so I can gather victims and sets to use on them. Stay tuned, you won't want to miss it!

Honorable mentions:

Checks
Oricorio-Sensu - 9
Silvally-Fairy - 7
Swanna - 6
Raichu-A - 6
Mesprit - 5
Jynx - 3
Froslass - 2
Claydol - 0

Counters
Oricorio-Pom-Pom - 12
Victreebel - 12
Qwilfish - 5
Bellossom - 3
Clefairy - 2
Mesprit - 2
Spiritomb - 2
Articuno - 0
Jumpluff - 0

So, it is my pleasure to announce the very first Top Assassin is not one but TWO awesome users!

A very special grats to Sir Pin and Toy Time King for winning season 1's Top Assassin honors!

Once again, you guys and gals were just flat-out awesome with your submissions and voting. I can't wait to get season 2 underway with my ideas. Stay tuned and I'll see you in 1-2 weeks!

Last edited:

Oathkeeper

is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Alright guys and gals. I'm going to start this season off a little early and I'm sure you were hoping for the same. Luckily the wait wasn't very long and I'm excited to start a new 10-week stretch with my new idea that a few of you have been told of. Not told the idea, but that there will be a new one. Anyways, the new idea is to keep the format the same as before, but this time around, I will be adding a "condition" to the victim. Something that could make them otherwise tougher to take down. This is where the big brain ideas will come out to play. With all of this in mind, let's kick this season off! Ready............set..................kill this first victim!

Sandslash-Alola @ Icium Z / Shuca Berry
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Substitute / Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Condition: Hail is active

As usual, voting begins Thursday

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 212 Def
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up

I'm not quite sure whether to call it a check or a counter, but I'm leaning towards counter. Gurdurr can come in on Alolan Sandslash many times, reguardless of hail, when un-boosted, and even when it's boosted, it still only 3HKO's, even after Stealth Rock Damage. Drain Punch in the meantime clobbers Sandslash, and Mach Punch 2HKOs. All of these factors contribute to Gurdurr (probably) being a Counter.

Last edited:

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic

Quagsire works as a complete counter to Alolan Sandslash thanks to Unaware allowing Quagsire to shrug off any attacks Alolan Sandslash can use, regardless of its boosts. It can take Icicle Crash into Z-Icicle Crash as well. From there, you Earthquake until it dies.

252 Atk Sandslash-Alola Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 93-111 (23.6 - 28.1%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Sandslash-Alola Subzero Slammer (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 175-207 (44.4 - 52.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
Reversing Rocky helmet Gasdrodon as COUNTER

Gastrodon-East @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sticky Hold/Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Recover
- Earth Power
- Toxic/Ice beam

This mon is completely annoying and needs some serious physical power to break maybe 7/10's as bulky as tangla? I've had fun with it before

+2 252 Atk Sandslash-Alola Icicle Crash vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Gastrodon: 211-250 (49.6 - 58.8%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

8 SpA Gastrodon Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Sandslash-Alola: 260-308 (89.3 - 105.8%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

Or You can go for a 3 hit ko with scald to stall weather, cripple him even to be fully healed or nail a switch in

Sadly what's terrible about any spread of this mon is if they have another hail setter, this is complete bait and should be sacked most of the time but if I saw +2 ice crash do that little I'd get out of there as fast as possible if I didn't believe in the flinch games

Last edited:

gum

for the better
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Dodrio @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Jump Kick
- Return
- Knock Off

check. cant switchin for obvious reasons (unless u, like, predict sd or eq and like risking ur mon for no reason) outspeeds snowslash under hail and kills with jump kick if it doesnt have a sub up.

Last edited:
reserving hitmonchan so ig i'm that guy who reserves chan now *shrug*

Hitmonchan @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin​

Offensive Chan is a reliable check to Sandslash-A that can OHKO Sandslash-A with Mach Punch, however it may struggle with Substitute variants as it can take neither Subzero Slammer nor +2 attacks. Checking with Chan is therefore ideal when Alolaslash isn't behind a sub.

252+ Atk Life Orb Iron Fist Hitmonchan Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Sandslash-Alola: 614-733 (210.9 - 251.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Iron Fist Hitmonchan Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Sandslash-Alola: 333-395 (114.4 - 135.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Sandslash-Alola Subzero Slammer (160 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hitmonchan: 265-313 (109.9 - 129.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Sandslash-Alola Icicle Crash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hitmonchan: 142-168 (58.9 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Sandslash-Alola Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hitmonchan: 111-131 (46 - 54.3%) -- 53.1% chance to 2HKO (guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock)
252 Atk Sandslash-Alola Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hitmonchan: 133-157 (55.1 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:
I think this should be against the rules but I'm doing it anyway!
I turn a Pokemon, that should be considered a counter, into a check by changing up the moveset a bit!

Poliwrath @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Vacuum Wave
- Scald
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam​

You can't consider Specs Poliwrath a counter anymore since it gets 2HKOed by EQ - so it loses if Alolaslash has a Sub and an SD up (and if it still has to come in on it).
However, it probably is the best check because it resists Alolaslash's STABs and it is able to cleanly knockout the foe with Specs Vacuum Wave (so the condition hail is checked too!).

252+ SpA Choice Specs Poliwrath Vacuum Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Sandslash-Alola: 408-484 (140.2 - 166.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Tasty KO

+2 252 Atk Sandslash-Alola Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Poliwrath: 190-224 (59.1 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
It won't take two but you can come in on the SD and KO it after!

Last edited:

Katy

Banned deucer.
reserving water silvally

7785-Shiny-Silvally-Water.png

Silvally-Water @ Water Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spe
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Surf
- Flamethrower
- Parting Shot

Watervally can come in on Alola-Sandslash, when Alola-Sandslash tries to setup a Substitute or a Swords Dance. While AloSlash does that Watervally can break the
Subsitute with Surf / Flamethrower and KO it afterwards with a Flamethrower as it does 120.9% min or weaken it severely with a Surf.
Also an +2 AloSlash doesn't KO Silvally-Water as Silvally-Water resists both its Stabs in Icicle Crash / Iron head and a +2 Subzero Slammer doesn't OHKO it either after a round of Rocks + a layer of Spike.
Alo-Slash cant OHKO Watervally whereas Silvally can OHKO AloSlash, henceforth Silvally is a solid check.

Calcs:
+2 252 Atk Sandslash-Alola Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 120+ Def Silvally-Water: 97-114 (24.6 - 28.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Sandslash-Alola Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 120+ Def Silvally-Water: 153-180 (38.8 - 45.6%) -- 17.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Sandslash-Alola Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 120+ Def Silvally-Water: 46-54 (11.6 - 13.7%) -- possible 7HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Sandslash-Alola Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 120+ Def Silvally-Water: 92-108 (23.3 - 27.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock

Subzero Slammer w/o SD boost
252 Atk Sandslash-Alola Subzero Slammer (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 120+ Def Silvally-Water: 92-108 (23.3 - 27.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock
Subzero Slammer at +2
+2 252 Atk Sandslash-Alola Subzero Slammer (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 120+ Def Silvally-Water: 183-216 (46.4 - 54.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

0 SpA Silvally-Water Surf vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Sandslash-Alola: 132-156 (45.3 - 53.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
0 SpA Silvally-Water Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Sandslash-Alola: 352-416 (120.9 - 142.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

Carracosta @ White Herb
Ability: Solid Rock
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower

Carracosta is a counter to Alolaslash thanks to it's physical bulk and strong ability in Solid Rock, allowing it to take two Earthquakes and OHKO in return with Superpower.

252 Atk Sandslash-Alola Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Carracosta: 108-127 (37.3 - 43.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Carracosta Superpower vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Sandslash-Alola: 428-508 (147 - 174.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

Greybaum

GENTLEMAN, THIS IS DEMOCRACY MANIFEST
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Manectric @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power Grass
Manectric is one of the few Pokémon that can outspeed Sandslash-Alola under hail, reaching 508 speed with a Choice Scarf and a Timid nature (compared to Sandslash-Alola's respectable 502 speed).
With the exception of Iron Head, Manectric is not able to comfortably switch into any of Sandslash-Alola's attacks, especially at +2. However, due to its aforementioned speed, in combination with access to a 4x effective Overheat, Sandslash-Alola is forced out of battle regardless of how many boosts it has acquired, making Manectric a very solid check.

252 SpA Manectric Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Sandslash-Alola: 180-213 (61.8 - 73.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Manectric Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Sandslash-Alola: 141-166 (48.4 - 57%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Manectric Overheat vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Sandslash-Alola: 696-820 (239.1 - 281.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Sandslash-Alola Icicle Crash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Manectric: 175-207 (62.2 - 73.6%)
252 Atk Sandslash-Alola Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Manectric: 82-97 (29.1 - 34.5%)

Squash

UTA Overlord
reserving probopass

Probopass @ Air Balloon
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Power Gem
- Toxic
- Hidden Power [Fire]

This set of probopass is a check to sandslash. He easily 2hko the offensive sandslash, and if u have the set the rock up, it ohko him

252 SpA Probopass Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Sandslash-Alola: 260-308 (89.3 - 105.8%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

Last edited:

TTK

Webtoon Character
is a Community Contributor
timezone really messes me up

Dugtrio-Alola @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Tangling Hair
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge
- Memento

Scarf Dugtrio is the check to alolaslash under hail. You are able to reach 525 speed with scarf the same as Dodrio and Alolaslash is only at 502 speed. Obviously Earthquake is STAB and does a lot of damage. Sad it isn't a guaranteed ohko but with rocks, it becomes around 43% chance to OHKO and it is likely Alolaslash comes in on resisted hits a lot of the time so it will be chipped at some point, allowing you to revenge kill.

Last edited:

ishtar

your affection
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
PU Leader

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Night Shade
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover​

So Sableye functions as a great check to most physical attackers in the tier. Despite this, it isnt the best answer to offensive Sandslash-Alola but its still one that is able to stop it from a potential sweep. While you do fear fainting to a +2 Z move from Slash, the burn (assuming you do land) will succesfully stop you from getting absolutely bopped by the Z Icicle Crash. I put Lefties on this set as opposed to Rocky Helmet for the extra recovery against a potential crit.
After the Pokemon has been burnt its often forced out since its pretty much unable to beat Sableye since its 3HKOd by Night Shade. Apart from this, Sableye can also function as a spin blocker for offensive Slash. Its a nice check, not able to beat it in all scenarios but one thats able to definitely take advantage of the Ice spinner due to its amazing ability. Thanks for reading and keep it spooky.

Last edited:

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
Modest / Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Dazzling Gleam

i mean, once they see sr ppl default to "oh it's defensive" so this is still a great lure rn, especially if they see gleam vs guzzlord innit. slash often hards in on it and you live a z if it's not +2

Scyhter @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- U-turn
- Brick Break
- Knock Off

Scyhter is a decent check, as it outruns Snowslash even in Hail and after Rocks is almost certain to OHKO it with Brick Break. It can switch into Swords Dance, Earthquake or an unboosted Iron Head, though if Snowslash gets a Substitute up on the switch Scyther loses. It's also OHKOed by Icicle Crash.

Calcs:
252 Atk Scyther Brick Break vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Sandslash-Alola: 248-296 (85.2 - 101.7%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Sandslash-Alola Icicle Crash vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Scyther: 278-330 (98.9 - 117.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Sandslash-Alola Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Scyther: 130-154 (46.2 - 54.8%) -- 59% chance to 2HKO

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion

Simisear @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Nasty Plot
- Flame Charge

so ya know alolan sandslash with its ice/steel typing does not really appreciate Fire-type attacks. Simisear is either picking up a kill or setting up as a check.

Last edited:

Oathkeeper

Pyukumuku @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Soak
- Toxic
- Block
- Recover

Counter. Yeah, I'm going to be "that guy" and post this annoying thing. Alolaslash under hail isn't doing much and can Soak into Toxic the Alolaslash and just Recover until it's gone. Boring, I know, but it works.

Checks

Counters

Vote for 2 checks AND 2 counters!

Checks: Dodrio, Manectric
Counters: Gurdurr, Quagsire

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)