Tournament PUPL VI - Finals [Won by the Clairvoyant Claydols]

SergioRules

||blimp||
is a Community Contributor
2073. A scientist has created a team that can either wipe out all of PUPL teams as we know them or cure those with incurable cancers. He is the only one in the world who knows how to make this team. The World Government is going to jail the scientist on Saturn and is thinking of executing him. The jailing decision has already caused worldwide outrage, and the outcome of this decision will decide on the future of the PU tier.

The scientist is TJ, he has brought an incredible amount of support to the Claydols with his old gens lineup, current gen team support, and being able to balance (in addition it is not an unmon like drampa). What would you do? He is a human like all of us and deserves to live. But what if him being alive means that life for everybody is going to spin out of control because he is the only one knowing the secret of breaking past supervillains like Carkols, Dedennes, and Meowstics might stop him to prevent the destruction of the world? This is a psychological test for all of us.

Fast forward 2 months and the scientist has perfected his team which would allow him to change this PUPL even if it meant he would lose himself mentally in the process. He threw away his mental stability for thick skin to mitigate the harsh trash talk and mystical activity calls. He kept his above average W/L record and made himself better at team prepping. This however came at the expense of being unable to get a last minute sub that he knew how to do so well, so he decided to turn his first slot of SS PU into a weapon in and of itself. The scientist is now the Clairvoyant Claydols.

grats Claydols and all other teams as well, it was a fun one to watch and be a part of. let's all do it again next year :klang:

TJ

Banned deucer.
is the Smogon Tour Season 34 Championis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
First, I would like to congratulate the carkols on their amazing run and thank Akir for hosting! It was a pleasure to watch our teams duke it out in finals after we had tied during the regular season and were both projected to fall short of playoffs.

Given the current circumstances, I won’t be able to do individual shoutouts for every member of the claydols because I don’t want to spend 2 hours writing on mobile in this heatwave and power outage (please forgive me :p) but I couldn’t have asked for a better group of people to spend this season with. Everyone put in their best effort, helped foster a great team environment, and, of course, had fun every step of the way. I would like to give special shoutouts to my good friends Urusius, Musharnanigans, and Ktütverde who significantly contributed to the victory and overall success of the claydols. Mig, you were the glue to this team and you massively contributed to our success in SS PU. Your support was truly unparalled and I really appreciate all the hours you spent building and prepping with us in voice call. much love fam. Uru, you were also the main drive behind the teams success, instilling team spirit and being the anchor of the teams synergy. Your long speeches each week further solidified our team bond and made us all feel valued and appreciated when almost nobody believed in us. This truly made everyone feel comfortable and kept the team moving forward. King Ktut, thank you for being the teams architect and giving me guidance where I needed it. I am so lucky that I was able to draft you. After the draft we both knew how successful the team would turn out and I’m happy we were able to prove everyone wrong. Thanks again for clutching the final win for us bro, go happy huntails!

I would like to end by thanking all of our opponents for the fun games and by giving a big shoutout to zS, gum, SpacialRendevous, and Many for joining our team chat during playoffs, you guys are the best!:heart: All of our efforts and dedication is what led us to winning this tournament and that’s something nobody can take away from us. Thanks again to everyone who made this tournament memorable :blobuwu:

see you all in snake!

LordST

Dormi Bene Duce
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
RBTT Champion
Won in a very close game vs Alkione gg!
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-1170232363

Love my Carkols, this was one of the best team atmospheres I've been a part of in a team tour. Shoutouts to our SS building core seemingly constantly building at all hours of the day. Shoutouts twitch.tv/Bag_of_Trixx for coming in to your own as an SM player, it may not have gone so well in the end, but from what I observed you can definitely make waves in the future. Shoutouts GeneralAnnoyance for finally putting in that DPP goat performance we all knew you could. Shoutouts MrAldo for putting up with my dogshit ORAS knowledge. Shoutouts EviGaro for being the best mom :3 and undisputed BW PU queen(high honors i know). Shoutouts Expulso for always being there with the support in every meta, even though the games didn't go your way your input was incredibly valuable and we wouldn't have gotten here without you. Shoutouts everyone else you all killed it this tour. VROOOM VROOOM!

Last edited:

Bag of Trixx

I like to call it a passion
is a Pre-Contributor
Vroom Vroom Carkols are still the undisputed, unquestioned, absolute very best team this PUPL. Like LordST said, the team atmosphere was truly topnotch and the efforts each and every Carkol put in each and every week show tenfold. Shout-outs GeneralAnnoyance for having the patience to teach me a whole new PU meta-game within this short period and for actually trusting some of my ideas in regards to DPP team-building even when you are easily among the best DPP players out there. Shout-outs Expulso atomicllamas and MrAldo for going out of your way to also learning a new PU meta-game with SS building being the crazy roller-coaster as it currently is and shout-outs Feliburn Star and Eternal Spirit for making every week count clutching it out every single time when needed. Also, massive shout-out to LordST for the extremely kind words and I'm glad I got to team with a PU legend such as yourself. It'll only help me improve further on in the future and will gladly team up with you again anytime because we'll run SM. But I think the biggest shout-outs have to go to keppy and EviGaro. I cannot begin to exclaim just how exciting it was to not only team with some friends for my very first PUPL experience, but the endless 24/7 discord VCs in regards to building SS every week were truly memorable. I cannot thank Keppy enough though, as there is no way in hell I'd have been able to do it without you this time around. Also, I cannot thank EviGaro enough either for giving me my first chance in the tournament scene. After witnessing first-glance the sheer amount of effort you put in for us to be the best team we could be, there's honestly no other team I would even want to play for in the future. I wish I could have had more impressive results than 2-3 (please nobody remind me about how I'd be positive if I didn't get frozen vs tlenit it was a GG regardless) but next time, I promise I'll do it even better. I'm very humble that I was able to participate this PUPL, and next time: I'll be sure I'm worth the investment. Every penny will be well-spent.

Outside of the Carkols, shout-outs have to mentioned to avarice royesk tlenit1 gum TJ Musharnanigans Specs Brandon and PTF for truly backing me every week and I'll continue on playing to all of your prestigious expectations. Vroom Vroom!

Hey everyone^^

Unfortunately yesterday some towns in the south of France didnt have electricity for a few hours. That prevented me from playing my finals game. Nonetheless I am very happy that I participated in this tournament. Shoutouts to my friends Ktütverde for convincing me to sign up, Urusius for the emotional support, and TJ for drafting me and trusting me, despite that I have very few tour experience. I am very happy that I could play SM PU again, as I was sad when its ladder went down. Shoutouts to the Claydols, including the people who joined the discord server at the start of the playoffs, for making this enjoyable. There was a very good atmosphere and the support was amazing. I was lucky to have critics of my teams from everyone and people ready to test every week. Shoutouts Drud (so many test games), Brandon (the kayak hero), Squash17 and Lambovino (baguette power), gum (protect simisear!!!!) and everyone in PU. See y’all !

This was my first team tour on Smogon, and it was a great way to spend some of my time through the lock-down going on this summer. Thank you to TJ for drafting me, Urusius for inspiring me, and PTF, Musharnanigans, and Ktütverde for for teaching me how to how to better prep, build, and play in the tier. It was extremely nice to get to know all of my teammates through the season as they all had interesting stories and insights to share, and were a supportive and exciting group of people to play with.

I'd also like to thank my opponents and all the other participants of this PUPL because the experience wouldn't have been so positive without all of the effort they have put into the tier. My opponents were great people to play against and whether I won or lost, I feel like I learned something from them every match. That's all I have to say other than that this has been a fun community to be a part of, and I'll see you all in a few months for the World Cup of PU!

Ktütverde

of course
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Ever since the auctions were done, I knew our team would win this year's PUPL. The synergy between our team members was just that good, and even though we didn't have "big names", all the players were extremely solid. Hey, we won 8-0 and 6-0, the results speak for themselves. We quickly all became friends too. Here's a quick glance at how we functioned (our discord nicks in parenthesis), and how good our synergy was.

Shoutouts+Our roles

- TJ (aka The Jesus). Our manager, active 24/24 7/7. He spent dozens of hours in VC (Vocal Chat) with Mig building his team. He was also the biggest "tester", battling every slot again and again to make sure their team worked and that they played it well. He would also suggest ideas during teambuilding in every tier. The most active member by far. If you needed help, TJ was there, always.

- Urusius (You're Serious). He built SM teams for Squash, but most importantly, made motivational speeches every week, which as funny as it may sound, was extremely good for the team spirit. He provided us with Pokémon Rumble emotes, which was they key to our good mood.

- yandaud (YanDAD). He built his teams on his own. He also spent a lot of time helping the others test their teams, especially Squash/Skipkan in SM, Procopius in SS, and Drud in DPP. If I needed to talk about my SS team or test it, I would always ask Yan, who's one of my best friends on this site. It was yan's first smogon tournament, and I actually pushed him to join, telling him he was an extremely capable SMPU player: he did prove he was.

- Skipkan (Scoutkan). He provided EVERY slot with a detailed report of what our opponents used. All their replays+a visual of their teams. I'm not sure if every PUPL team did that, but as far as I'm concerned I consider that a team who doesn't analyze their oppo's teams are amateurs. It allowed us to figure out what our opponents liked to use. I don't doubt we won 6-0 easily vs the dedennes thanks to Scoutkan's reports: we just brought teams that had an advantage vs what they liked using and boom, easy wins. That's what we call good prepping, and what uninformed people would call "being lucky with matchup". Skip used to be a bit shy and used to doubt his capabilities, but I really love how he quicky found himself at ease in our team, and I wish him the best of luck in future tournaments.

- Musharnanigans (aka Mig aka Teamushanigans). Building, building, building. He made countless teams especially in duo with TJ, and helped Proco make teams too. Every day you would see them in VC for hours. I don't even know why he canceled his PUPL signup post, but the helped he provided us with was invaluable.

- Drud (aka Druddigod aka Geodrud). Our DPP goat. Unsurprisingly he didn't need much building help. He probably was the player who tested the most. He helped building in ORAS and BW as well. Somehow he was unlucky for weeks, and would lose an insane amount of test games to haxx. He also made an incredible team for playoffs, that Brandon ended up using and winning with while Drud got subbed out because of some barbecue johning stuff. He got the same move like 10 times in a row with sleeptalk too.

- Procopius (aka Flame Orb Grass). He made his own teams, and would always make wise criticisms of other people's teams. His addiction to Flame Orb pokémon surfaced every now and then, to our delight. He started as a sub, but he became our 3rd SS starter, and he proved that he was totally worthy of it.

- Squash17 (Sport Number). Squash had a bad run, but he also showed how good he is at predicting and making aggressive plays. He couldn't be very available, but his positive energy stuck with us. A completely underrated player for some reason (wtf happened during auctions? not even trying to buy squash can be considered amateurism, sorry to say that). He will sometime soon get the opportunity to show everyone how solid he is.

- Alkione (Alkiwon). The biggest troll our team had. He messed up his games, but it's not like he was paying much attention either. Still, an hilarious dude, who pranked me bad. Our BW slot sucked, that's the truth, but he made our day brighter (and sometimes gave us a heart attack during his games).

- Lambovino (MVP lambro). He ended up being permanently subbed in over Alki. He lost a very close game, then got stalled (who stalls a newcomer to BWPU wtf). He also builds well in SM and SS, and is a capable player. I look forward to seeing him shine in the near future.

- PTF (GMT clause). The nicest person on Earth. He was so positive, and so involved in helping us with our teams. He also made great teams and offered people to use them. Incredible support, and someone who would have totally deserved a starting slot.

- Brandon (KAYAK HERO). He was The sub. Man, he subbed in over Drud while kayaking with his family. Seriously, Brandon's positive vibes and input were amazing, and I'm so glad we had him as a sub. He was also going to play at 3am vs LST instead of Yan who's Internet had literally died. We needed someone like Brandon. He showed he could also win games.

- lighthouses (aka Diogo aka Diocoach). The ORAS god. He would make a team real quick and destroy his oppo with. Easy. Oscillating between a bright and darker mood, he would offer us philosopical insight on what the nature of competitive mons is. We all really loved having such a nice and strong player among us, and I wish him happiness in his future irl endeavors.

- Ktütverde (aka King Ktut). I built my teams on my own as usual without seeking much advice. However my main "job" was to analyze everyone else's teams when they were done and suggest changes to improve the synergy. I also helped TJ/procopius test in SS a bit, and helped Yan/Drud test in SM/DPP a lot. Sometimes I would participate in the building of a team, but I avoided it as much as possible since I trusted our building support (Mig, PTF, Brandon) and I wanted to keep my energy for analyzing the final builds. I was very relieved that all my friends were so competent, because I'm the kind of person who won't stop until everything is fixed and works perfectly. I also enjoyed making BW teams a lot.

People who joined before playoffs:

- Many , SpacialRendevous , zS . They were very active, and we almost reached a state of help overload. But yeah, the channels were even more active, more ideas were submitted, and the moral support became crazy. Thank you.

Final words

This PUPL was my best Pokémon-related experience by far, and I sincerely hope most of you readers also had a great time. This post is already way too long, so I will stop here. Grats Claydols for winning this tourney, thanks for being so awesome, and see you all in Snake/PUWC/next PUPL!!!

-ktut

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)