SM OU Rain team (feat z-Belly Drum Poliwrath)

Sup mates, I am here presenting my First gen 7 OU with Pokebank rain team. It is my second own Gen 7 team so still might overlook some weakness and hope you guys cans help me. Well anyway here is my team.

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Scald
- Hurricane
- U-turn
My first mon was fairly obvious since every team needs a rain sweeper and Pelipper is the best one in my opinion right now. I went with a physical defensive build since i prefer him to check pheremosa and other common mons like buzzwole without thunder punch. I do not run Defog on him, because as i already mentioned i want him also being able to check pheremosa (esspecialy scarf pheremosa). U-turn is to get some momentum, Roost so i have some reliable recovery and lastly Scald as another Stab with the posibility to burn mons like Scizor and etc..

Poliwrath @ Normalium Z
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Waterfall
- Brick Break
- Ice Punch
Next i went with Poliwrath, because he can be a real monster in the rain and if he belly drums once you can sweep full teams, since he is able to sweep trough full teams thanks to his great coverage. I went with jolly over adamant since i can outspeed scarf tabu lele in rain and tapu lele is very common right now. I use Normalium Z to be able to always belly drum even if i am below 50% and what also works sometimes well is to take a hit and heal it back. Waterfall great stab under Rain, brick break secondary stab and lastly Ice punch to hit some mons that Resist my stabs like tabu bulu.
Also just to show how rewarding, the set can be
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-497160547
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-497820786
He didnt sweep the full team since his mantine had water absorb and i needet to take some 50 50, still he bascilily won by him self and it shows that you can get it if you sack your mons at the right time.

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 112 SpD / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Shadow Bone
- Earthquake
- Flare Blitz
Next i intended to fill the weakness to tapu koko or gensect. I also lacked stealthrocker so i put Marowak-Alola in the team and the set is copied from the smogon Marowa-Alola post, since i am to lazy to check for the right EVs. Shadow Bone since it hits as hard as a truck with thick club, flare blitz for the same reason and Earthquake vs Heatran and etc..

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Ice Beam
In my Opinion very rain team should have a secondary Rain sweeper and since i had no special attack yet i decided to go with Kingdra. I went with choice Specs modest Kingdra to hit as hard as possible. Draco Meteor strong stab and Hydrop pump for a strong stab aswell, Surf to have a safe hitting stab and lastly Ice beam for coverage.

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Megahorn
- Superpower
Next i wished for a second safe check for tapukoko since marowak has no reliable recovery. So i put in Tapu Bulu since his grassy Terrain also helps marowak to recover and i went with a Choice banded set, since i love to use more offensive teams. I was thinking about using a more bulky set, but i aint sure if the speed is important or not. Wood Hammer is to hit hard and Horn Leech for Recovery, Megahorn to hit Amoonguess and Superpower for heatran and other steel types.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog
My last mon is Mega-Scizor. I chose him because of wanting another mon that can take some hits, while still not losing to much momentum and since i also lacked a defoger scizor seemed the Perfect choice. The Set is pretty Standart and i chose defog over sword dance since i didn't need him to sweep but rather to support. U-turn is for momentum and a strong stab, roost recovery and Bullet punch for priority stab.

Well that rounds is up, i hope you guys can help me to optimize the team and sry if i did some grammar or spelling mistakes but my English isn't the best.​

Last edited:
But defog, ice punch and stealth rock is only obtainable from previous gens, not allowed here :(

what did you change it out with

Used it pokebank OU for giggles Toxapex is a big problem for this team replace Tapu Bulo with Aloa Raichu to fix that problem , Also Tapu Lele can create problems requires some prediction to go around it

Extremely similar rain team to what I have been running. I've been switching back and forth between Marowak, Ferro, and Garchomp as my rocker and Koko switchin. Chomp is afraid of HP Ice, but provides tremendous offensive presence. Ferro didn't feel like he was doing enough offensively. I need to play with Marowak more, but I felt like I wasn't getting enough attacks off with him. Also, I tried using Will-O-Wisp instead of Flare Blitz/Fire Punch, because his fire moves are weakened in the rain.

I've been using Tapu Koko instead of your Tapu Bulu, because I like hitting Toxa hard and I like the speed. Also, you can use Brave Bird on Koko to lure grass types and weaken them. Bulu is able to get through Tapu Fini, who gives rain a lot of trouble.

Poliwrath is an interesting choice. He's the best rain sweeper to get through Ferrothorn, though Kabutops can do a bit with Low Kick.

I've actually been playing around with Qwilfish on my rain team. He isn't walled by grasses, he can hit all the Tapus really hard (he's the only swimmer that can get through Fini), and Explosion saves the day often.

How do you deal with Tapu Lele? I feel like I always have to sac a Pokemon to her.

Something I think is worth mentioning is how to best use Z-Belly Drum; I think the main advantage of it is it can easily be used twice. First time you bring Poliwrath out, do a normal Belly Drum and sweep what you can. Second time you bring it out later in the match, use Z-Belly Drum to net a full heal and use the crazy attack again. If you're not using it like this, Sitrus is more reliable to give you more health needed to effectively sweep. While it may sound tricky to get Poliwrath in the second time, you have not one but two slow U-turns so you shouldn't have too much of a problem.

Im using kartana over scizor because kartana has better stats(more speed and higher attack) and also beast boost, best sweeper. Furthermore it is grass type, to get through tapu lele, it is really strong if played well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)