Random Hyper Offense (Peaked 1350 so far)

So I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to Ubers, I literally just started playing the other day. I threw together this team with some stuff I heard was good (as well as some basic teambuilding principles I learned from teambuilding in other tiers) and somehow it made it to 1350 Elo. I really need a rigorous rate for this team because I want to get better at Ubers.

Changes have been made to this team based on suggestions, so the explanations may not be 100% perfect, at least until I update them.

Kyogre @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Water Spout
- Surf
- Thunder
- Ice Beam
I really love using this thing. I hate going against opposing Xerneas, and this thing for some reason lulls people into a weird false sense of security and I can OHKO with Water Spout. Water Spout also destroys lots of other things, too. Only problem is it falls hard to Palkia and Ferrothorn, two pokemon my team has trouble with generally. As well as Deo-A thanks to that sash as well as extreme speed which can weaken water spout for later in the battle, though Genesect helps a bit with him. Scarf Modest because Specs Timid is too slow :3 And Scarf Modest still nets tons of KOs with Water Spout.

Palkia @ Focus Sash Lustrous Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Spacial Rend
- Thunder
- Hydro Pump
- Aura Sphere Thunder Wave
Yeah. Sash, I know. I didn't really know what to do with this thing, I just knew it blocks a lot of things like Kyogre and it's actually fairly fast (I can't believe how many Ubers are base 90 speed...) so it helps with things like Kyurem-W and Zekrom/Reshiram, provided they aren't scarfed. Spacial Rend is basically mandatory, Thunder because opposing Kyogre and Hydro Pump because my Kyogre, and Aura Sphere because I didn't know what else it wanted to do :(

Arceus @ Spooky Iron Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Adamant Timid Nature
- Swords Dance Defog
- Extreme Speed Will-o-Wisp
- Shadow Claw Judgment
- Recover
I had the idea that E-Killer Arceus is really good, so it would be awesome to recreate that but in Arceus-Ghost form so I can extreme speed stuff but opposing Arceus can't extreme speed me. Shadow Claw because STAB and fuck Mega Gengar and Ferrothorn. I considered refresh over recover but Xern has Aromatherapy...though I never seem to get the chance to use it.

Mewtwo @ Mewtwonite Y
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind Taunt
- Psystrike
- Ice Beam
- Aura Sphere Fire Blast
Right, I know now (after asking in the Ubers SQSA thread) that this isn't his best set. So I'm considering changing this. Actually, I'm considering changing this mon altogether as I don't feel it works that well with my team and I think I'd like a ghost and/or additional dark resist. Or perhaps something else to help against E-Killer Arceus. Aura Sphere for Darkrai (either I KO it if it's life orb, or it fails to KO me if it's sash).

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd 44 HP / 106 Def / 252 SAtk / 56 Spd
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire] Thunder
- Aromatherapy Substitute
Geo Xerneas. What more to say? Provides a crucial dragon immunity and perhaps the best late game set-up sweeper in the tier. HP Fire because I don't have any other fire moves on this team, and Scizors/Ferros love to switch into Xern thinking they can force me out to lose my boosts. Aromatherapy because lots of my team hates status, especially paralysis.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 152 Atk / 106 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- U-Turn
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Iron Head
Great scout lead and helps vs. Xerneas who can't OHKO even after Geomancy without HP Fire. Obviously Genesect can't OHKO back but when Xerneas sets up, it tends to allow itself to take a hit expecting to be able to sweep the rest of the team, so if I can get some damage on it I can go into Genesect and do a +1 iron head to hopefully finish it off. Or, I can combo Iron Head with Arceus's Extreme Speed. [Planning to remove this mon entirely]

Last edited:
needs a lot of work

Change Mewtwo Y to Taunt /Psystrike /Fire Blast /Ice Beam
Change Xerneas to Geomancy/ Substitute / Moonblast / Psyshock - Ev spread should be enough HP to hit 404 HP +252 spatk evs with modest nature + 56 Speed Ev's + rest in Defense. ( avoids 2hko from lucario's bullet punch + beats aegislash and chansey/blissey)
Change Palkia to Lustrous Orb and remove Aura Sphere and add Thunder Wave .
Change Arceus to a Wisp Defog Forme ( pick a type which has overall synergy--> you have zero fairy resists , maybe a xerneas check?) max hp and enough speed to outspeed timid palkia with a timid nature on your arceus
Remove Genesect . I do not know how best to replace it but you could run scarf zekrom to mitigate your ho oh weakness , if you run arceus rock you can run sdef dialga with stealth rocks which your team currently lacks ( or a life orb dialga with draco meteor flash cannon stealh rock and thunder with 252 spatk and 252 spe evs and a modest nature for more firepower -- > if you run arceus rock , which I would'nt advise as you are considerably weak to xerneas )
I'd say arceus poison or steel . or you could come up with something cool like changing poison arceus to a calm mind stall breaker set and add excadrill over dialga with stealth rocks / rapid spin/rock slide/iron head with air baloon

Last edited:
needs a lot of work

Change Mewtwo Y to Taunt /Psystrike /Fire Blast /Ice Beam
Change Xerneas to Geomancy/ Substitute / Moonblast / Psyshock - Ev spread should be enough HP to hit 404 HP +252 spatk evs with modest nature + 56 Speed Ev's + rest in Defense. ( avoids 2hko from lucario's bullet punch + beats aegislash and chansey/blissey)
Change Palkia to Lustrous Orb and remove Aura Sphere and add Thunder Wave .
Change Arceus to a Wisp Defog Forme ( pick a type which has overall synergy--> you have zero fairy resists , maybe a xerneas check?) max hp and enough speed to outspeed timid palkia with a timid nature on your arceus
Remove Genesect . I do not know how best to replace it but you could run scarf zekrom to mitigate your ho oh weakness , if you run arceus rock you can run sdef dialga with stealth rocks which your team currently lacks ( or a life orb dialga with draco meteor flash cannon stealh rock and thunder with 252 spatk and 252 spe evs and a modest nature for more firepower -- > if you run arceus rock , which I would'nt advise as you are considerably weak to xerneas )
I'd say arceus poison or steel . or you could come up with something cool like changing poison arceus to a calm mind stall breaker set and add excadrill over dialga with stealth rocks / rapid spin/rock slide/iron head with air baloon
Thanks for the post. I think I will try Arceus-Steel and Scarf Zekrom. What is Wisp Defog Arceus's usual move set? WoW / Defog / ? / ?

Also, what is the purpose of substitute on Xerneas? I find he generally doesn't have time to sub as people tend to immediately go for the kill rather than statusing.

if you run zekrom+ arc steel make sure you don't bring mewtwo out unless the opponent's arc forme is revealed. SD groundceus can do a lot.
Zekrom should be Outrage/Bolt Strike/Volt Switch /Draco Meteor with 252 atk and 252 spe evs , 4 spatk evs with a naughty nature .
Substitute on xerneas allows it to beat aegislash/blissey/chansey which otherwise completely stop a xerneas sweep but it's completely up to you anyway.
Arceus runs Defog/Will o Wisp/Judgement/Recover ( 252 HP / enough speed to hit 330 speed/ rest in spdef)
I still do not like the direction this team is going in , band ho oh has no reason not to spam earthquake and get a kill everytime it comes in on arceus steel .. I'm afraid you need to come up with something a tad more effective than just what I said without really thinking.
maybe air baloon excadrill isnt a bad idea with poison /steel arc . but it's up to you anyway
zekrom is amazing though. the best scarfer this gen
Smart double switching to kyogre might help against ho oh . Also if you go ahead with Zekrom , change Kyogre to a Choice Specs set . you can use the same ev's and the same moves
Lum Ekiller is also a huge problem unless zekrom manages to 2hko or steel arceus lives one eq

Last edited:
Thanks for the post. I think I will try Arceus-Steel and Scarf Zekrom. What is Wisp Defog Arceus's usual move set? WoW / Defog / ? / ?

Also, what is the purpose of substitute on Xerneas? I find he generally doesn't have time to sub as people tend to immediately go for the kill rather than statusing.
Do not run mooblast+psyshock, you want to run thunder over psyshock. This is to hit kyogre, which would otherwise live a hit from xern and also ho-oh (before stealth rocks). If you really want to use substitute then run thunder, and if you dont want to then run either psyshock or hp fire.

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Dreamfyre said:
+2 252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Kyogre: 343-405 (100.2 - 118.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
That's not the main target. You are looking to hit Ho-Oh and steels that resist Moonblast.

Will edit this as a rate later btw

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah fair enough. It was a general point- basically I was trying to say that you can't put up one calc of KOing Kyogre and say that Thunder is useless. Ofc I delivered that message awfully as I read the message now :/

Okay, thanks to all of you Dreamfyre haxiom and Minority Suspect for the help so far.

I've made a lot of the suggested changes:
Arceus: Spooky Plate --> Iron Plate; Moveset changed to Defog/WoW/Judgment/Recover; changed EV spread
Palkia: Focus Sash --> Lustrous Orb; Aura Sphere --> Thunder Wave
Mewtwo: Calm Mind --> Taunt; Aura Sphere --> Fire Blast
Xerneas: HP Fire --> Thunder; Aromatherapy --> Substitute; changed EV spread

Question: What kinds of things should I be trying to taunt with MM2Y?

I'm a bit worried about my team's performance vs. Darkrai. Xerneas is the only thing that resists his STAB, but of course there's sludge bomb (which Xern can take but can't switch into) and on top of that I sure as heck don't want Xerneas going to sleep. Without Aura Sphere now, MM2Y can't OHKO it even after LO recoil.

I also decided I'd like to keep the Scarf on Kyogre because it lets me get off quick & powerful water spouts which are always fun when there's no Palkia on the opponent's team. So, what are some preferably non-scarf options (since I'm keeping Scarfogre) to replace Genesect to help deal with Darkrai? Actually, with Arceus-Steel now instead of Arceus-Ghost, Mega Blaziken will probably be a problem too.

haxiom

God's not dead.
SoulRed12, a real rate now. I will be rating the revised team as of 6/28. Btw, you are taunting defensive mons

Overall, it seems... decent for a starting attempt, though it is far from good. It does auto-lose to a lot of common threats, such as Xerneas, Zekrom, Lum Ekiller, Ho-Oh to a certain extent, Blaziken, and a few more but that's the gist of it. You need some sort of checkish things for these, even on HO (although not to the same extent as it is necessary in stall or something). Also, I'm not sure I like the way Steelceus is used on a HO team, since it is a bad offensive type that can be abused by opposing offensive mons since you'll lose a bit of momentum with mono-steel coverage. Darkrai is annoying since there is no sleep fodder. You also lack hazards entirely which is bad.

So now we fix stuff. We have already remade your team, so I am reluctant to do so once again, but it is semi-necessary. An easy fix for the Darkrai problem is Sleep Talk > Ice Beam on Kyogre. You miss out on things like Ray and Grassceus, but that is mostly insignificant since Sleep Talk is really helpful. My main suggestion is to run Scizor+Offensive Lando-T > Genesect+something. Scizor will check Xerneas and Ekiller better, and Lando-T gives you a Ho-Oh, Zekrom, and Blaziken check, while giving you rocks. One thing you could consider is MMY being replaced, switching to SpecsOgre to break down stall, and running a different Arceus form. Of course, your team is now unrecognizable but meh- sorry.

OPTIMIZATION: will edit in later.

Good luck!

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
+2 252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Kyogre: 343-405 (100.2 - 118.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
This is the Kyogre that ApplepieFTW was worried about:
+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Thunder vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Kyogre: 302-356 (74.9 - 88.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Thunder makes KOing SpD Ogre infinitely easier and achieving the prior damage needed to KO this Kyogre with thunder is a lot easier than trying to put it in the guaranteed range of Moonblast.

Thunder in general is better than Psyshock since it covers a wider amount of possible GeoXern Checks. Defensive and Bulky Band Ho-Oh can both live +2 Psyshock after Stealth Rock while Thunder murders them both after rocks. Thunder also hits Heatran, Jirachi, and TRTini neutrally also so you can afford to run HP Fire for Scizor ect. The bottom line is, Thunder is a powerful option that hits all GeoXern checks neutrally or Super Effectively unlike Psyshock that only hits Poisonceus, offensive Ho-Oh after rocks, and a couple other misc. poison types.

If you are going to run a 2 Attacks Geomancy Xerneas, then Thunder is the way to go just because it hits everything viable that resists Moonblast neutrally or super effectively and doesn't just tickle the neutralities like Thunderbolt does. The accuracy is a necessary evil sadly :(.

I will try to help you as much as possible with a full rate in the future, but it will take awhile
This should be fun ^_^

Sorry, forgot to give kudos to ApplepieFTW for helping out as well!

Anyway, as I said earlier I'm really in the early stages of learning the Ubers metagame, so haxiom I don't really mind if the team gets overhauled. I mean it would be nice not to have to start from scratch, but all of the comments I get are giving me more insight into the metagame so one day I can make these kinds of decisions on my own, so it's all helpful one way or another. That's a long way of saying I'd rather have honest comments suggesting radical overhauls (for good reasons) than for people to give less honest comments just because that wouldn't require radical overhauls.

Also, WreckDra, thanks for the post, it definitely seems thunder is the best way to go. Looking forward to the full rate. :)

I dislike my own arceus steel suggestion , arceus ghost fixes the ekiller weakness and steel adds a ekiller/ho oh / Eplate groudon /ground arceus weakness
if you are sticking to scarf ogre , definitely run sleep talk over ice beam to patch up darkrai
Finally , you dont have a toxic spam absorber

This should fix all of your weaknesses to a point where you can play around your opponent (hopefully)

Physically Defensive Arceus Ghost ( enough speed to hit 281 , rest in hp and defense with a def boosting nature (preferably calm nature)) Will o WIsp/Stone Edge/Judgement/Recover ( Remove Arceus steel) This should net you some surprise ho-oh kills
Life Orb Mewtwo with same moves and same ev's
Specially Defensive Mega Scizor with 176 Atk/252 Spdef/80HP with Adamant Nature with Toxic/ Bullet Punch/ Roost/ Defog ( This replaces Genesect) ( fixes xerneas weakness )
Scarf Ogre with SLeep Talk as mentioned above
Sub Xern is a good set and yeah, thunder works over psyshock

Last edited:

haxiom

God's not dead.
Dreamfyre, you have to remember that this is a HO team (or it's supposed to be}. Toxic spam is not really that big of a deal, since you are hopefully putting enough offensive pressure to break the opposing team.

EDIT: SoulRed12 I can help you more if you want just pm me

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)