Rapidash (BW2 Revamp)(QC 3/3)[GP 2/2]

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

I AM UNICORN!

[Overview]
  • Fastest Fire-type in NU
  • Has reliable recovery so isn't as easy to wear down as similar Fire-types
  • It has average offensive power and a decent movepool
  • Frail, so not difficult to KO
  • Unable to boost its average power, so it faces competition from other Fire-types that can

[SET]
name: Physical Attacker
move 1: Flare Blitz
move 2: Wild Charge
move 3: Low Kick
move 4: Morning Sun / Baton Pass
item: Life Orb / Choice Band
ability: Flash Fire
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • This set makes use of Rapidash's higher physical attack and is a better fit on teams that carries Water-types that don't appreciate sun
  • Flare Blitz is Rapidash's most powerful STAB move
  • Wild Charge provides useful coverage against Water-types and Charizard
  • Low Kick provides decent power against most Rock-types that can easily take Rapidash's other moves
  • Morning Sun is the preferred option with Life Orb to mitigate residual damage and help play around Sucker Punch users
  • Baton Pass is better with Choice Band to maintain momentum against its counters and scout

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Jolly is the preferred nature to outspeed key Pokemon such as Charizard, Jynx, and Simisear
  • Life Orb is the preferred item since Rapidash is already frail and appreciates the ability to switch moves
  • Choice Band is useful for the greater damage output, and works better with Baton Pass to prevent momentum loss
  • Hidden Power Grass hits Golem, Carracosta, and Seimitoad hardest (and other 4x weak mons)
  • Megahorn is a viable move for the last slow to hit bulky Psychic-types without Flare Blitz recoil
  • Return hits Dragon-types hardest, but they are rare and it doesn't help Rapidash much otherwise
  • Charcoal and Flame Plate are viable to boost the power of Flare Blitz without negative side effects
  • This set still has trouble breaking through bulky Rock- and Water-types, so a Grass-type such as Exeggutor or Serperior can help deal with them
  • Water-types such as Samurott or Gorebyss can also deal with Rock- and Water-types and help form a FWG core.
  • Wartortle is a notable Water-type as it can use Rapid Spin to remove entry hazards that wear down Rapidash faster
  • As Rapidash switches into Will-O-Wisp from Misdreavus and Weezing, physical attackers that appreciate their weakening are good teammates
  • Sawk is notable as is can also scare away most entry hazard setters

[Other Options]
  • A Sunny Day set with Solarbeam lets Rapidash break through some of its normal counters, but Rapidash is a bit too frail to set up safely and too weak to work on Sun teams
  • Hypnosis can remove a counter, but is unreliable
  • Hidden power Ice can hit Altaria hard, but isn't worth a moveslot otherwise
  • Will-O-Wisp can cripple a physical attacker, but Rapidash generally prefers to simply attack
  • Toxic can cripple physical walls such as Alomomola, but Rapidash has trouble finding a slot for it
  • Rapidash can use a full special set with Fire Blast, Solarbeam, Sunny Day, and a Hidden Power; sadly Charizard and Simisear are far more powerful options
  • Rapidash can use a Choice Scarf due to its high Speed, but it lacks power and prefers being able to switch moves.
  • Substitute is an option to block status and make it harder to revenge kill, but Rapidash doesn't need to cut into its HP more that it already does
  • Flame Charge and Agility are the only boosting moves it has, but they don't help improve Rapidash's average power
  • Quick Attack provides priority, but it is very weak
  • Flame Body can provide a useful burn against resisted physical attacks, but Rapidash prefers the possible power boost from Flash Fire more
[Checks and Counters]
  • Dragon-types such as Altaria and Dragonair wall Rapdiash unless it carries Return or Hidden Power Ice
  • The physical set is walled by Alomomola and physically defensive Seismitoad
  • Regirock and Piloswine can check Rapidash as they can take any single move from it and retaliate with their super effective STAB moves
  • Specially Defensive Regirock can even counter mixed Rapidash as it avoids the 2HKO from SolarBeam
  • Gardevir can Trace Flash Fire and tank a Wild Charge or SolarBeam, and it KOs with Psychic
  • Bulkier Water-types that can tank a Wild Charge or SolarBeam, such as Samurott and Wartortle, can check Rapidash
  • Rapidash is frail, so anything faster with a decently powered neutral move can easily inflict a lot of damage to it, if not OHKO.
  • Swellow, Tauros, and many Choice Scarf users such as Jynx or Primeape can all revenge kill Rapidash
  • Priority from Kangaskhan and Basculin keep Rapidash in check. Be aware that Rapidash can play around Sucker Punch with Morning Sun and Sunny Day.

[Overview]

<p>As the fastest Fire-type in the Neverused tier, Rapidash has its advantages. It has a strong STAB in Flare Blitz, though its power is average otherwise. Rapidash also has a decent movepool, including a reliable recovery move to mitigate recoil and entry hazard damage. Unfortunately, Rapidash is frail and doesn't find much opportunity to use non-attacking moves. Without a way to notably enhance its average attack power, it struggles to differentiate itself from its Fire-type brethren.</p>

[SET]
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set makes maximum use of Rapidash's higher Attack stat, focusing on hitting the opponent's team as hard as possible. Flare Blitz is Rapidash's most powerful STAB move and is the move that will typically be used the most. Wild Charge provides coverage against opposing Water-types as well as Charizard. Low Kick allows Rapidash to significantly damage most opposing Rock-types. Morning Sun is preferred if Rapidash is wielding a Life Orb, as it helps mitigate recoil and entry hazard damage; it can also be useful for allowing Rapidash to work around Sucker Punch users. Baton Pass is preferred when Rapidash is holding a Choice Band, as it allows it to scout the opposing switch-in or escape from a check or counter.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Jolly is the best nature, as Rapidash prefers to outspeed as many Pokemon as possible, and it is necessary to allow Rapidash to Speed tie with threats such as Kadabra. Life Orb gives Rapidash a decent power boost while allowing it to switch moves, but as Rapidash is likely to use Flare Blitz most of the time, a Choice Band is also a good option to maximize its only average power. Hidden Power Grass is a viable option for the last move, as it allows Rapidash to hit 4x weak Pokemon such as Seismitoad and Golem harder than any of its other moves. Megahorn is a possible move to threaten Psychic-types without having to take recoil from Flare Blitz. Return is also a viable move to threaten opposing Dragon-types, but they are rare and the move doesn't help Rapidash much otherwise. Charcoal and Flame Plate are possible items to boost the power of Flare Blitz, but the lack of negative side effects does not make up for the noticeable decrease in power.</p>

<p>Even with Low Kick, this set still has trouble with Rock-types. Grass-type teammates, such as Serperior and Exeggutor, can handle Rock-types, as well as Water-types, very well. Water-types, such as Gorebyss and Samurott, can also deal with Rock-types and help form a Fire / Water / Grass core. Wartortle is a notable Water-type as it can use Rapid Spin to remove the entry hazards that wear down Rapidash. Rapidash enjoys switching into Will-O-Wisps from the likes of Misdreavus and Weezing, so physical attacking teammates that lure them out are good teammates. Choice Band Sawk is a notable option, as it can also threaten most Stealth Rock users as well as Rock-types.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>A mixed Sunny Day set with SolarBeam allows Rapidash to break through a few of its normal counters, but Rapidash is too frail to set up and attack. Hypnosis can cripple a counter, but the terrible accuracy makes it unreliable. Hidden Power Ice can hit Altaria extremely hard, but it isn't worth a moveslot otherwise. Will-O-Wisp can cripple physical attackers such as Regirock, but Rapidash is already lacking moveslots and prefers to attack most of the time. Likewise, Toxic can cripple Alomomola and other defensive Pokemon on the switch, but Rapidash has trouble finding room for it. Substitute is an option to block status and make Rapidash harder to revenge kill, but it doesn't want to cut into its HP any more than it does already. Rapidash can run a special attacking set with Sunny Day, Fire Blast, SolarBeam, and Hidden Power, but Charizard and Simisear are more powerful options. Choice Scarf Rapidash can be used due to its high Speed, but it lacks power. Flame Charge and Agility are the only boosting moves Rapidash has, but they do not improve its average power and there are better options to Baton Pass such boosts. Quick Attack provides priority, but is extremely weak. Finally, Rapidash can use its Flame Body ability to try and burn opponents, but it is far too frail and prefers the possible power boost from Flash Fire more.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Dragon-types such as Altaria and Dragonair wall Rapidash unless it carries Return or Hidden Power Ice. Rapidash is walled by Alomomola and physically defensive Seismitoad unless it carries Hidden Power Grass or SolarBeam. Regirock and Piloswine can check Rapidash as they can take any move from it and retaliate with their super effective STAB moves. Specially defensive Regirock can even counter the rare mixed Rapidash, as it avoids the 2HKO from SolarBeam. Gardevoir can Trace Flash Fire and tank a Wild Charge, then retaliate with Psychic. Bulkier Water-types that can tank a Wild Charge or SolarBeam, such as Samurott and Wartortle, can check Rapidash. Rapidash is frail, so anything faster with a decently powered neutral move can easily inflict a lot of damage to it, if not OHKO it completely. Swellow, Tauros, and many Choice Scarf users, such as Jynx or Primeape, can all revenge kill Rapidash. Priority from Kangaskhan and Basculin can keep Rapidash in check; be aware that Rapidash can play around Sucker Punch with Morning Sun and Baton Pass.</p>

Last edited:

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think Rapidash in general is pretty bad, but I think the physical attacker is still better. The reason for this is that Rapidash has a very hard time setting up Sunny Day and can't do anything without its Sun since it relies on it so much to do anything. That and its SolarBeam is still pretty weak against Alomomola and other targets, while LO Low Kick 2HKOes Golem and 3HKOes Regirock (2HKOes with SR + 1 layer of Spikes) With Sun up Mixed is definitely better than Physical Attacker, but the problem there is that it has to get up the Sun and that Physical can immediately start attacking. Other people can comment on it, but that's what I think.

[Overview]
Add that Life Orb and Flare Blitz recoil adds up quickly and even with Morning Sun it will be worn down super fast. When mentioning Morning Sun also add that Rapidash's frailty and SR weakness makes Morning Sun less useful that it could be.

[Additional Comments] (Mixed)
Power Herb to OO, there is no reason to deviate from Life Orb imo. Regirock won't be that impressed when you reveal Power Herb after a Flare Blitz for that surprise 3HKO.

[Set] (Physical Attacker)
You don't really need Drill Run for Fire-types as Zard is hit by Wild Charge and all the other irrelevant Fire-types (Rapidash, Flareon, and Heatmor) are 2HKOed by CB Wild Charge anyways. I think adding Baton Pass over Drill Run is probably a better idea although I not sure about LO and CB being the same set. It might be better to separate them with LO being the one with Morning Sun and CB having Baton Pass. They do play different with Life Orb killing itself faster, but having the ability to switch up moves and use a semi-reliable healing move and CB just hitting hard and being able to get switch advantage on w/e with BP.

If you split them up probably have them as: LO > Mixed > CB.

[Checks and Counters]
This looks pretty good, but if you want you can also add Trace Gardevoir as a counter to the mixed set since it becomes immune to Flare Blitz and doesn't take much from SolarBeam due to its Base 115 SpD. Pretty embarrassing that it does lose to Gardy lol.

This is good @WhiteDMist feel free to respond about the set order on the sets if you feel differently about it.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Honestly I don't care for the mixed set's reliance on SolarBeam, since it is pretty weak except against 4x weaknesses regardless (seriously can't even 2HKO Alomomola or offensive Regirock without Life Orb and hazards). I don't mind separating the sets since they do play differently enough to warrant it, and I can always change them back if need be. Made the other changes, but I want to hear if other QC members want the sets separate as well.

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Alright you made all the changes so I'll stamp it, the next QC member can give their opinion on the set separation.

QC Approved 1/3

I'd be fine with axing the Sunny Day set and moving it to OO. The main reason why I dislike it so much is that I probably wouldn't be using it outside of a dedicated sun team anyways (like at that point why am I not using a Sunny Day Chlorophyll sweeper or Ludicolo or something?), and on a dedicated sun team, I'd rather use something with more staying power or something that hits harder. This point in particular, "Solar Power Charizard is a powerful wallbreaker that can power through Rapidash's counters, and appreciates Rapidash's sun support," makes me question why I'm not using a Chlorophyll cleaner instead, as most of them are stronger, all of them are faster, and they all have 300% more swag than Rapidash.

[Overview]
The reliable recovery thing isn't really even that relevant because of Stealth Rock weakness + frail + not many opportunities to use it (especially because you mention later on in the Overview that it's frail).

I honestly think the only set should be a physical attacker one something like:

I don't really think the Life Orb and Choice Band set play THAT much differently from each other. I also think Drill Run is mostly useless. The reason given in Set Comments is "to hit opposing Fire-types," but basically the only relevant Fire-type is Charizard if we're being real here. Drill Run can be mentioned in AC for uhhh, Flareon and Camerupt? Lampent, I guess lol. But it's not like those Pokemon are too hard to prepare for with other teammates (especially looking at Choice Band variants that can just Baton Pass out of them).

[Other Options]
Cut the Baton Pass mention because it's on one of (or the only, depending on how we handle this) the sets.

[Checks and Counters]
Seismitoad pretty much just walls it. Low Kick is only 80 BP vs. it, and I'm sure it can tank that.

Let's figure out what we want to do with the sets now, and once we've done that, I'll stamp.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
i agree with treecko on this, and tbh do we even need Choice Band slashed? does it get any kos that life orb doesnt? seems to me that without recovery/the ability to switch moves rapidash will get worn down extremely fast.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
Hmm, yeah I do have to admit that while the Sunny Day set is a bit better when the Sun is up, Rapidash doesn't get many opportunities to set it up. I personally wouldn't use it on a dedicated Sun team, so I can't argue that it should have Sun sweeper teammates either. While its not a bad set, I won't fight the issue if its decided that it should go to OO (but you can be sure I'll make a large mention of it). As for Choice Band, I 'll look into calcs (so far the only notable one is against Weezing)

if anything doesn't life orb get worn down faster than choice band? yes it has morning sun, but just how often does rapidash get the chance to use that anyway?two recoil moves paired with a stealth rock weakness and the additional loss of 10% every turn is really quite annoying; i used rapidash a while ago and much preferred the choice band set, it's great at cleaning up endgame with flare blitz thanks to rapidashs excellent speed tier

also i couldnt find a mention of choice scarf, which is surprising to me, as again, rapidash hits that great speed tier that allows it to get the jump on nearly every other scarfer except for tauros which often runs adamant anyway. it is vulnerable to carracosta, but then so is primeape, and it has wild charge to deal with stuff like gorebyss

then again, the ability to switch moves is very nice... possibly use epert belt then? wild charge and low kick are almost exclusively hitting targets weak to them

Last edited:

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
I do like Morning Sun though, it does help against Sucker Punch users and you still can use it when Rapidash forces a switch. I will look into whether or not EBelt will lose too many important KOes or not (since Flare Blitz is really the move most used and losing out on KOs for it is a problem).

I put a mention of Scarf in OO, it's pretty weak outside of Flare Blitz but it has a nice Speed tier I guess. Seismitoad already has a mention in CC, but I'll give it a separate mention if (and when it seems) the SD set gets nixed. I'll talk to everyone more about this when I get on irc.

I agree that there are pros and cons to both Choice Band and Life Orb, and Morning Sun kind of makes it so that they're worn down equally as badly, favoring Life Orb Morning Sun just a bit. Because of this, I'd prefer to keep both of them and just slash them. Also agreeing with Expert Belt if calcs prove it is as efficient, but I have my doubts. Maybe try out Charcoal/Flame Plate as well because the main appeal of Rapidash outside of its Speed is being a Fire-type attacker, which is hard to come by in NU. At the very least, Charcoal/Flame Plate should probably be AC'd.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ran some calcs, and I really don't think Ebelt/Charcoal/Flame Plate is worth it. Rapidash isn't that strong to begin with so it really needs LO/CB. The sets should probably be merged too since they basically do the same thing: spam Flare Blitz until they're forced out. Though agreeing that LO Morning Sun should probably be slashed first.

Also from my experiences Low Kick is pretty bad. It hits Rock-types I guess but it doesn't even 2HKO any of them except for maybe Probopass/Bastiodon (who don't really take Flare Blitz that well anyway). Would HP Grass be worth a slash on that slot (at least for LO variants)? It does way more to Golem / Seismitoad / Costa and I think it kills most of them after Flare Blitz + some hazards.

TL;DR

[SET]
name: All-Out Attacker
move 3: Hidden Power Grass / Low Kick
nature: Hasty / Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
Hm, well I combined the sets. I put HP Grass in AC for now, and let QC decide whether it deserves a slash or not. Charcoal/Flame Plate is in AC for now, EBelt isn't that helpful when Rapidash mainly spams Flare Blitz.

blue is for additions
red is for removals
[Overview]

<p>As the fastest Fire-type in the Neverused tier, Rapidash has its advantages. It has a strong Flare Blitz, though its power is average otherwise. Rapidash also has a decent movepool, including a reliable recovery move to mitigate recoil and entry hazard damage. Unfortunately, Rapidash is frail and doesn't find much opportunity to use non-attacking moves. Without a way to notably enhance its average attack power, it struggles to differentiate itself from its Fire-type brethren.</p>
(remove extra line break)

[SET]
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set makes maximum use of Rapidash's higher Attack stat, focusing on hitting the opponent's team as hard as possible. Flare Blitz is Rapidash's most powerful STAB move and is the move that will typically be used the most. Wild Charge provides coverage against opposing Water-types,(RC) as well as Charizard. Low Kick allows Rapidash to significantly damage most opposing Rock-types. Morning Sun is preferred if Rapidash is wielding a Life Orb, as it helps mitigate recoil and entry hazard damage; it can also be useful for allowing Rapidash to work around Sucker Punch users. Baton Pass is preferred when Rapidash is holding a Choice Band, as it allows the fire horse to scout the opposing switch-in or escape from a check or counter.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Jolly is the best nature as Rapidash prefers to outspeed as many Pokemon as possible, and it is necessary to allow Rapidash to Speed tie with threats such as Kadabra. Life Orb gives Rapidash a decent power boost while allowing it to switch moves, but as Rapidash is likely to use Flare Blitz most of the time, a Choice Band is also a good option to maximize its average power. Hidden Power Grass is a viable option for the last move, as it allows Rapidash to hit 4x weak Pokemon such as Seismitoad and Golem harder than any of its other moves. Megahorn is a possible move to threaten Psychic-types without having to take recoil from Flare Blitz. Return is also a viable move to threaten opposing Dragon-types, but they are rare and the move doesn't help Rapidash out much otherwise. Charcoal and Flame Plate are possible items to boost the power of Flare Blitz, but the lack of negative side effects does not make up for the noticeable decrease in power.</p>

<p>Even with Low Kick, this set still has trouble with Rock-types. Grass-types teammates, such as Serperior and Exeggutor, can handle Rock-types, as well as Water-types, very well. Water-types, such as Gorebyss and Samurott, can also deal with Rock-types and helps form a Fire-Water-Grass Fire / Water / Grass core. Wartortle is a notable Water-type as it can use Rapid Spin to remove the entry hazards that wear down Rapidash. Rapidash enjoys switching into Will-O-Wisp'(remove apostrophe)s from the likes of Misdreavus and Weezing, so physical attacking teammates that lures them out are good teammates. Choice Band Sawk is a notable option, as it can also threaten out most Stealth Rock users as well as Rock-types.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>A Sunny Day set with SolarbBeam allows Rapidash to break through a few of its normal counters, but Rapidash is too frail to set up and attack. Hypnosis can cripple a counter, but the terrible accuracy makes it unreliable. Hidden Power Ice can hit Altaria extremely hard, but it isn't worth a moveslot otherwise. Will-O-Wisp can cripple physical attackers such as Regirock, but Rapidash is already lacking moveslots and prefers to attack most of the time. Likewise, Toxic can cripple Alomomola and other defensive Pokemon on the switch, but Rapidash has trouble finding room for it. Substitute is an option to block status and make Rapidash harder to revenge kill, but it doesn't want to cut into its HP any more than it does already. Rapidash can run a special attacking set with Sunny Day, Fire Blast, SolarbBeam, and Hidden Power, but Charizard and Simisear are more powerful options. Choice Scarf Rapidash can be used due to its high Speed, but it lacks power. Flame Charge and Agility are the only boosting moves Rapidash has, but they do not improve its average power and there are better options to Baton Pass such boosts. Quick Attack provides priority, but it is extremely weak. Finally, Rapidash can use its Flame Body ability to try and burn opponents, but it is far too frail and prefers the possible power boost from Flash Fire more.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Dragon-types such as Altaria and Dragonair wall Rapdiash unless it carries Return or Hidden Power Ice. Rapidash is walled by Alomomola and physically defensive Seismitoad unless it carries Hidden Power Grass or SolarbBeam. Regirock and Piloswine can check Rapidash as they can take any single move from it and retaliate with their super effective STAB moves. Specially Ddefensive Regirock can even counter the rare mixed Rapidash as it avoids the 2HKO from SolarBeam. Gardevoir can Trace Flash Fire and tank a Wild Charge, and it KOs with Psychic. Bulkier Water-types that can tank a Wild Charge or SolarBeam, such as Samurott and Wartortle, can check Rapidash. Rapidash is frail, so anything faster with a decently powered neutral move can easily inflict a lot of damage to it, if not OHKO it completely. Swellow, Tauros, and many Choice Scarf users, such as Jynx or Primeape, can all revenge kill Rapidash. Priority from Kangaskhan and Basculin can keep Rapidash in check; be aware that Rapidash can play around Sucker Punch with Morning Sun and Baton Pass.</p>

nice writeup

1/2

Last edited:
amcheck
Additions
Subtractions

Comments
[Overview]

<p>As the fastest Fire-type in the NeveruUsed(always called that so i think that's right) tier, Rapidash has its advantages. It has a strong Flare Blitz, though its power is average otherwise. Rapidash also has a decent movepool, including a reliable recovery move to mitigate recoil and entry hazard damage. Unfortunately, Rapidash is frail and doesn't find much opportunity to use non-attacking moves. Without a way to notably enhance its average attack power, it struggles to differentiate itself from its Fire-type brethren.</p>

[SET]
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpDef / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set makes maximum use of Rapidash's higher Attack stat, focusing on hitting the opponent's team as hard as possible. Flare Blitz is Rapidash's most powerful STAB move and is the move that will typically be used the most. Wild Charge provides coverage against opposing Water-types as well as Charizard. Low Kick allows Rapidash to significantly damage most opposing Rock-types. Morning Sun is preferred if Rapidash is wielding a Life Orb, as it helps mitigate recoil and entry hazard damage; it can also be useful for allowing Rapidash to work around Sucker Punch users. Baton Pass is preferred when Rapidash is holding a Choice Band, as it allows the fire horse to scout the opposing switch-in or escape from a check or counter.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Jolly is the best nature as Rapidash prefers to outspeed as many Pokemon as possible, and it is necessary to allow Rapidash to Speed tie with threats such as Kadabra. Life Orb gives Rapidash a decent power boost while allowing it to switch moves, but as Rapidash is likely to use Flare Blitz most of the time, a Choice Band is also a good option to maximize its average power. Hidden Power Grass is a viable option for the last move, as it allows Rapidash to hit 4x weak Pokemon to it such as Seismitoad and Golem harder than any of its other moves. Megahorn is a possible move to threaten Psychic-types without having to take recoil from Flare Blitz. Return is also a viable move to threaten opposing Dragon-types, but they are rare and the move doesn't help Rapidash much otherwise. Charcoal and Flame Plate are possible items to boost the power of Flare Blitz, but the lack of negative side effects does not make up for the noticeable decrease in power.</p>

<p>Even with Low Kick, this set still has trouble with Rock-types. Grass-type teammates, such as Serperior and Exeggutor, can handle Rock-types, as well as Water-types, very well. Water-types, such as Gorebyss and Samurott, can also deal with Rock-types and helps form a Fire / Water / Grass core. Wartortle is a notable Water-type as it can use Rapid Spin to remove the entry hazards that wear down Rapidash. Rapidash enjoys switching into Will-O-Wisps from the likes of Misdreavus and Weezing, so physical attacking teammates that lure them out are good teammates. Choice Band Sawk is a notable option, as it can also threaten out(or force out) most Stealth Rock users as well as Rock-types.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>A Sunny Day set with SolarBeam allows Rapidash to break through a few of its normal counters, but Rapidash is too frail to set up and attack. Hypnosis can cripple a counter, but the terrible accuracy makes it unreliable. Hidden Power Ice can hit Altaria extremely hard, but it isn't worth a moveslot otherwise. Will-O-Wisp can cripple physical attackers such as Regirock, but Rapidash is already lacking moveslots and prefers to attack most of the time. Likewise, Toxic can cripple Alomomola and other defensive Pokemon on the switch, but Rapidash has trouble finding room for it. Substitute is an option to block status and make Rapidash harder to revenge kill, but it doesn't want to cut into its HP any more than it does already. Rapidash can run a special attacking set with Sunny Day, Fire Blast, SolarBeam, and Hidden Power, but Charizard and Simisear are more powerful options(remove this line as it's mentioned in the first line of oo?). Choice Scarf Rapidash can be used due to its high Speed, but it lacks power. Flame Charge and Agility are the only boosting moves Rapidash has, but they do not improve its average power and there are better options to Baton Pass such boosts. Quick Attack provides priority, but is extremely weak. Finally, Rapidash can use its Flame Body ability to try and burn opponents, but it is far too frail and prefers the possible power boost from Flash Fire more.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Dragon-types such as Altaria and Dragonair wall Rapdiash Rapidash unless it carries Return or Hidden Power Ice. Rapidash is walled by Alomomola and physically defensive Seismitoad unless it carries Hidden Power Grass or SolarBeam. Regirock and Piloswine can check Rapidash as they can take any move from it and retaliate with their super effective STAB moves. Specially defensive Regirock can even counter the rare mixed Rapidash as it avoids the 2HKO from SolarBeam. Gardevoir can Trace Flash Fire and tank a Wild Charge, and it KOes(if it's an OHKO say OHKOes) with Psychic. Bulkier Water-types that can tank a Wild Charge or SolarBeam, such as Samurott and Wartortle, can check Rapidash. Rapidash is frail, so anything faster with a decently powered neutral move can easily inflict a lot of damage to it, if not OHKO it completely. Swellow, Tauros, and many Choice Scarf users,(AC) such as Jynx or Primeape, can all revenge kill Rapidash. Priority from Kangaskhan and Basculin can keep Rapidash in check; be aware that Rapidash can play around Sucker Punch with Morning Sun and Baton Pass.</p>

Implemented above gp check for you n_n

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
Thanks guys, implemented most changes. BTW, Gardevoir can OHKO with Psychic after Rock, but Scarf and SubCM sets only have ~6% chance to do so (LO/Specs can easily OHKO). Changed it to be more general. Also, the first mention is for the mixed Sunny Day set, hopefully it's clearer now but if not tell me.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
WhiteDMist

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[Overview]

<p>As the fastest Fire-type in the Neverused tier, Rapidash has its advantages. It has a strong STAB in Flare Blitz, though its power is average otherwise. Rapidash also has a decent movepool, including a reliable recovery move to mitigate recoil and entry hazard damage. Unfortunately, Rapidash is frail and doesn't find much opportunity to use non-attacking moves. Without a way to notably enhance its average attack power, it struggles to differentiate itself from its Fire-type brethren.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set makes maximum use of Rapidash's higher Attack stat, focusing on hitting the opponent's team as hard as possible. Flare Blitz is Rapidash's most powerful STAB move and is the move that will typically be used the most. Wild Charge provides coverage against opposing Water-types as well as Charizard. Low Kick allows Rapidash to significantly damage most opposing Rock-types. Morning Sun is preferred if Rapidash is wielding a Life Orb, as it helps mitigate recoil and entry hazard damage; it can also be useful for allowing Rapidash to work around Sucker Punch users. Baton Pass is preferred when Rapidash is holding a Choice Band, as it allows it the fire horse to scout the opposing switch-in or escape from a check or counter.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Jolly is the best nature, (AC) as Rapidash prefers to outspeed as many Pokemon as possible, and it is necessary to allow Rapidash to Speed tie with threats such as Kadabra. Life Orb gives Rapidash a decent power boost while allowing it to switch moves, but as Rapidash is likely to use Flare Blitz most of the time, a Choice Band is also a good option to maximize its only average power. Hidden Power Grass is a viable option for the last move, as it allows Rapidash to hit 4x weak Pokemon such as Seismitoad and Golem harder than any of its other moves. Megahorn is a possible move to threaten Psychic-types without having to take recoil from Flare Blitz. Return is also a viable move to threaten opposing Dragon-types, but they are rare and the move doesn't help Rapidash much otherwise. Charcoal and Flame Plate are possible items to boost the power of Flare Blitz, but the lack of negative side effects does not make up for the noticeable decrease in power.</p>

<p>Even with Low Kick, this set still has trouble with Rock-types. Grass-type teammates, such as Serperior and Exeggutor, can handle Rock-types, as well as Water-types, very well. Water-types, such as Gorebyss and Samurott, can also deal with Rock-types and help form a Fire / Water / Grass core. Wartortle is a notable Water-type as it can use Rapid Spin to remove the entry hazards that wear down Rapidash. Rapidash enjoys switching into Will-O-Wisps from the likes of Misdreavus and Weezing, so physical attacking teammates that lure them out are good teammates. Choice Band Sawk is a notable option, as it can also threaten out most Stealth Rock users as well as Rock-types.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>A mixed Sunny Day set with SolarBeam allows Rapidash to break through a few of its normal counters, but Rapidash is too frail to set up and attack. Hypnosis can cripple a counter, but the terrible accuracy makes it unreliable. Hidden Power Ice can hit Altaria extremely hard, but it isn't worth a moveslot otherwise. Will-O-Wisp can cripple physical attackers such as Regirock, but Rapidash is already lacking moveslots and prefers to attack most of the time. Likewise, Toxic can cripple Alomomola and other defensive Pokemon on the switch, but Rapidash has trouble finding room for it. Substitute is an option to block status and make Rapidash harder to revenge kill, but it doesn't want to cut into its HP any more than it does already. Rapidash can run a special attacking set with Sunny Day, Fire Blast, SolarBeam, and Hidden Power, but Charizard and Simisear are more powerful options. Choice Scarf Rapidash can be used due to its high Speed, but it lacks power. Flame Charge and Agility are the only boosting moves Rapidash has, but they do not improve its average power and there are better options to Baton Pass such boosts. Quick Attack provides priority, but is extremely weak. Finally, Rapidash can use its Flame Body ability to try and burn opponents, but it is far too frail and prefers the possible power boost from Flash Fire more.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Dragon-types such as Altaria and Dragonair wall Rapidash unless it carries Return or Hidden Power Ice. Rapidash is walled by Alomomola and physically defensive Seismitoad unless it carries Hidden Power Grass or SolarBeam. Regirock and Piloswine can check Rapidash as they can take any move from it and retaliate with their super effective STAB moves. Specially defensive Regirock can even counter the rare mixed Rapidash, (AC) as it avoids the 2HKO from SolarBeam. Gardevoir can Trace Flash Fire and tank a Wild Charge, and it can then retaliate with Psychic. Bulkier Water-types that can tank a Wild Charge or SolarBeam, such as Samurott and Wartortle, can check Rapidash. Rapidash is frail, so anything faster with a decently powered neutral move can easily inflict a lot of damage to it, if not OHKO it completely. Swellow, Tauros, and many Choice Scarf users, such as Jynx or Primeape, can all revenge kill Rapidash. Priority from Kangaskhan and Basculin can keep Rapidash in check; be aware that Rapidash can play around Sucker Punch with Morning Sun and Baton Pass.</p>

2/2
You forgot to change the tile so just make it (done) now!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)