Rate my pressure team

IggyBot

!battle
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm willing to bet when you read "pressure team", you weren't expecting something like this. I've been in a team building frenzy lately, and this has turned out to be one of the most effective teams I've built. I've found that most teams on shoddy just aren't prepared to keep up with the pace that this team sets, and I've really only found trouble with extremely well thought out stall teams that are played by smart players. Anyways, here it is.

As you can see, one problem I have is Stealth Rock. Gyarados and Togekiss, two my "bulkier" pokemon take 1/4 on every switch in, which really hinders them. Stealth Rock helps Yanmega set up faster (you'll see later) but it's still not a fun thing to have on the field.

Infernape (♂) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 32 Atk / 224 Spd / 252 SAtk
Rash nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Close Combat
- Overheat
- U-turn

Scarf Infernape, so unexpected, it tears a lot of people up. HP Ice OHKO's Garchomp most of the time, while Overheat is just a great STAB attack. I tried running a physical version of this, but I've found that Mixed works best. I don't use Close Combat much, but it has been usful. U-Turn is a great move to scout with when I know opposing leads will switch out. It also does a lot of damage to Deoxys-E, and this set outspeeds most of them. I outrun +speed, 90 base pokemon (like Roserade and Porygon-Z) with 224 Speed EV's. Max SpAtk is needed here, for OHKO'ing stuff like Gengar and Garchomp. The rest was dumped into attack.
---

Gyarados (♂) @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge

So many people underestimate the power of CB Gyarados. Waterfall hits so hard right off the switch-in, many pokemon are immediatly in danger of being KO'd (Gliscor, Hippowdon, Celebi, Blissey, many others) It outspeeds Jolly Tyranitar, and can come into quite a few physical pokemon pretty easily, like Heracross, and other Gyarados.
---

Togekiss (♂) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 16 HP / 240 Spd / 252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Flamethrower
- Tri Attack

This is by far the most effective Togekiss build I have ever used. With this EV spread, Togekiss out speeds everything up to base 125 speed pokemon, while retaining a great SpAtk stat, Serene Grace, and a great selection of attacks. Air Slash is my main attack, and the 60% flinch rate really helps with 2HKO's when facing enemys like Weavile, Gengar and Starmie. Aura Sphere is mainly for Heatran, who otherwise laughs at this set. Flamethrower takes on other steels like Skarmory. I'm thinking about trading Flamethrower for Fire Blast, because the power increase is really nice for just 15 accuracy, but I'm not sure yet. I'm really loving Tri-Attack to. A nice STAB attack, and a 40% chance of statusing my opponent is to good to pass up. Togekiss is my main switch into minor special attackers with it's good SpDef.
---

Snorlax (♂) @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Return
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Crunch

I ended up putting Snorlax on here, because I found out rather quickly I can't switch into Starmie. CB Snorlax OHKO's Starmie and Gengar with Pursuit, and does a lot of damage to other things with Return. I originally had Fire Punch over Crunch, but I didn't realize it was illegal with Pursuit (thanks for pointing that out Train Man) Crunch will allow me to put a dent into Dusknoir, who most likely won't switch out of Snorlax. Earthquake is just a good all around physical attack for any pokemon. This is the pokemon I'm most willing to replace.
---

Mamoswine (♂) @ Life Orb
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 34 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Def / 200 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Ice Shard
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

Mamoswine is amazing. STAB Ice and Ground (the best 2 type combonation) along with good speed and amazing attack, it's just awsome. People really underestimate Mamoswines base 80 speed, and it catches a lot of pokemon off guard. Ice Fang OHKO's Max Def / HP Gliscor, even with a Jolly nature. Celebi hates taking STAB'd Ice Fangs as well. With a EQ just as strong as Garchomps, I wonder why Mamoswine isn't used on more teams? Ice Shard OHKO's all of the dragons, and helps take out weak pokemon in general. The EV's give me 270 speed, 369 HP (for Life Orb) 359 attack, and 202 defense (really only there as filler, I could dump these EV's into speed if I wanted, but I don't really see the point) Mamoswine easily switches into Electric attacks aimed at Gyarados, thanks to it's ground type. Unfortunatly, while STAB Ice is the best physical attacking type, it is one of the worst defensivly, which means Mamoswine has a tough time coming in on anything else.
---

Yanmega (♂) @ Petaya Berry
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Spd / 252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Air Slash
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This Yanmega is something that I've come up with, and it just rips through many teams late game. If I get a Sub up, that's automatically 2 Speed boosts, plus a shield against opposing pokemon. I can easily sub down to my Petaya Berry, and give Yanmega a SpAtk boost that it loves. Bug Buzz and Air Slash are two great STAB attacks, and HP Ice takes a lot of people by surprise. The EV's are a little odd. 12 HP makes it so that I can activate my Petaya after 3 subs (or 1 sub if Stealth Rock is up). I could also do the same thing by changing my HP IV to 30, but it's a lot easier to remember this way.
---

Overall, this team has been winning and performing extremely well. Most teams fold under the pressure that my constant attacks put on them. There is no break in the action with this team, and I normally end up winning using just 3-4 pokemon. As I said, Stealth Rock hurts a lot, but I don't think I can really do anything about it, since a spinner really doesn't fit in with this team at all, and I really don't want to give up Togekiss or Gyarados. Aldaron told me once that this team wouldn't get me far, but it has in fact beaten several top tier teams and players, so I like to think that I've been proving him wrong =) Anyways, post thoughts, comments, suggestions, anything at all.

IggyBot

!battle
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The problem with HP Ground, is that then I can't really do anything to Salamence, Dragonite or Garchomp. Basically, it's the worst of two evils, walled by Heatran, or losing to Dragons.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
air slash hits garchomp, salamence and dragonite.. hp ground is still a good option

Nice Team, Iggy.

Fire Punch and Pursuit are illegal on Snorlax, as Fire Punch is a 3rd-gen Move-tutor move and Pursuit is a 4th-gen egg move. =\

Try Crunch in place of it, so you can hurt Dusky and Cressy.

I ran CBGyara for a while, and realized that maxing speed is more important than the small HP investment. With Maxed speed you can outrun all Modest Heatrans and Neutral/Base 80's.

And sorry to boring and for using generic 252/252 Spreads, Mamoswine needs at least 220 Speed EVs to outpace timid Heatran.

I say all this because, even if you have Snorlax to sponge hits, without lefties or Rest, Lax won't stay there forever. And a mispredict on either Ape or Togekiss (using anythign but CC or Aura Sphere) will leave you screwed against Heatran.

You're really in need of a spinner, Toxic Spikes screws with your Team hampering Lax's tanking abilities and draining Mamoswine's Health twice as fast, with the Life Orb.

I'll try to post more later, good luck with the team.

IggyBot

!battle
Thanks Train Man. I didn't realize that Fire Punch / Pursuit was illegal on Snorlax, I'll change that now.

I know a spinner would help this team, but as I said before, I'm not exactly sure where to fit one in. The reason that this team works is because I'm constantly attacking my opponent, and not giving them a break at all. Pretty much every Rapid Spinner is very defensive. Donphan could possibly work, as it's 120 base attack, along with STAB on ground attacks is very nice, but it just further adds to my Starmie weakness. Tenatacruel is the only thing I can think of. It has decent speed, but it's attacking stats are below mediocre.

Ash Borer

as train said, with SR and t-spikes up this team is kinda wrecked, immunity on snorlax helps that slightly.

I can see a starmie over togekiss, slightly helps for status absorption, and less SR weak. Although a CB hitmonlee (LOL) could go over snorlax, or even gyarados.

Hitmonlee@Choice band
{Jolly}
evs: 236 speed / 252 attack / 20 hp
-Rapid Spin
-Blaze kick
-Close combat
-Stone edge / mach punch

seems like crap though.

outpaces any 90 base neutral nature.

I will be bold enough as to mention Focus Punch on Infernape, as no one will be expecting it, and Infernape on it's own isw switch-fodder. You nearly OHKO Blissey with it, even if it is Max-Max and Bolder than I.

As Train Man said, you should consider just maxing Gyara's Speed, the investment in HP is not worthwhile enough for anything.

Snorlax, as you mentioned the thought of replacing, is in my thought a must. Metagross can duplicate the current set with Thunderpunch or Explosion over what would be Crunch on Snorlax, ThunderPunch OHKOs offensive Starmie and Pursuit 2HKOs even the bulkiest Starmie. It also walls Gengar relatively well, just make sure to make it max HP and 16 Def, if you wish to survive Adamnat Dugtrio EarthQuake. Let me make mention that this gives you a once missing Normal/Flying resistance.

As you know, solid team, and t is nearly impossible to add a spinner without crippling your former offensive front. Gyarados may be a better lead for that reason, scaring off and usually OHKOing things like Hippowdon, 2HKOing Skarmory and getting rid of Swampert, so you won't have to be too worried about Stealth Rock. This also leaves Infernape to be more unpredictable late-game or mid-game.

IggyBot

!battle
4 choice users and all those SR weakness? Um... kind of risky don't you think?
Ugh. When I said post anything at all, I was hoping that at least I wouldn't get replys like this. 4 Choice pokemon work incredibly well, and I already pointed out quite a few times that Stealth Rock hurts. This post does absolutly nothing. Now, if you want to recomend something, I'll be more than happy to listen to your advice.

DevilinDenial said:
Snorlax, as you mentioned the thought of replacing, is in my thought a must. Metagross can duplicate the current set with Thunderpunch or Explosion over what would be Crunch on Snorlax, ThunderPunch OHKOs offensive Starmie and Pursuit 2HKOs even the bulkiest Starmie. It also walls Gengar relatively well, just make sure to make it max HP and 16 Def, if you wish to survive Adamnat Dugtrio EarthQuake. Let me make mention that this gives you a once missing Normal/Flying resistance.
I thought about Metagross before, I'm still considering it. I'll probably test both CB and Agiligross just for the hell of it.

DevilinDenial said:
As you know, solid team, and t is nearly impossible to add a spinner without crippling your former offensive front. Gyarados may be a better lead for that reason, scaring off and usually OHKOing things like Hippowdon, 2HKOing Skarmory and getting rid of Swampert, so you won't have to be too worried about Stealth Rock. This also leaves Infernape to be more unpredictable late-game or mid-game.
I originally led with Gyarados, but I use Infernape now because Gengar can't OHKO Infernape (without Specs, but I outspeed that anyways), and Gengar is quickly becoming one of the most used leads.

Oh, and I really like the idea of Focus Punch on Infernape, but Close Combat is a must when I'm faced with sticky situations like Infernape vs. Blissey + Heatran.

IggyBot

!battle
Pursuit is there because it completly screws over Starmie who otherwise runs all over this team.

Also, Selfdestruct + Pursuit is illegal, before anyone suggests it.

Pork Chop said:
as train said, with SR and t-spikes up this team is kinda wrecked
There aren't many teams without a spinner that aren't screwed by Stealth Rock / Spikes. However, I do know that they really hurt, so my goal against stall teams is to simply not let them get Spikes / Toxic Spikes / Stealth Rock up if at all possible.

Ash Borer

Pursuit is there because it completly screws over Starmie who otherwise runs all over this team.

Also, Selfdestruct + Pursuit is illegal, before anyone suggests it.

There aren't many teams without a spinner that aren't screwed by Stealth Rock / Spikes. However, I do know that they really hurt, so my goal against stall teams is to simply not let them get Spikes / Toxic Spikes / Stealth Rock up if at all possible.

A few things to say : Snorlax with maybe a brave nature could use fire blast for skarm and forry. Damn those illegal moves on snorlax..

Anyways, i do see a lot of teams that have 1 or no weaks to SR, and about 3 pokemon immune to t-spikes or have a posion type, your team is extremely vulnerable to SR and toxic spikes, i think starmie could fit into this team instead of maybe togekiss

I'm agreeing with DID. Anyways I would put: body slam, zen headbutt/ wish/ u turn jirachi over Togekiss. Just to heal up your team and be a (BAN ME PLEASE). ^_~

yeah, i truly believe that on offensive teams like this, starmie is almost a lock because of rapid spin. damn though, mamoswine and scarfkiss on the same team? if the mamo was Cb'd i would fly to wherever you are and french kiss you.

IggyBot

!battle
As I suspected, Starmie isnt getting along with this team very well. Togekiss is to important of a player to give up, and Rapid Spin gives my opponent essentially a free turn to do whatever. It worked a lot better before I tried using a spinner.

Well...if Starmie doesn't work, then, I dunno what to do about SR. Personally, I'd try killing common Stealth Rockers and SR leads before they can set up. Along those lines I don't think your Infernape could OHKO a Hippowdon or Swampert lead, which, at least in my experience, are pretty common and will set up SR on you in a heartbeat. I doubt they'd run from your Infernape, either. Perhaps you could carry Grass Knot to take care of them, or maybe change your lead? To what, I'm not entirely sure...I'll have to think about it. A pure special sweeper could probably help, but, eh, I dunno.

well if starmie doesn't work, you'll just have to deal with it. pretty hard to get the perfect team i guess. if those even exist.

IggyBot

!battle
Yeah, that's what I figured before I even made this topic. I'm going to try out Metagross over Snorlax tomarrow, so we'll see how that goes.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
what about changeing the natue/evs of yanmega and giveing it reversal over HP ice or bug buzz?
and try LO explosion metagross, with persuit, MM, explode, EQ/thunderpunch/something else

good overall team the only thing that you have a problem with are leads like swampert and hippowdon i would give infernape grass knot to handle these two

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)