SM OU Rate my sticky web team

Made this sticky web team the other day, and it has taken me up from the ladder (used to sit around 1100 but now am around 1400). My main goal here is to set so Kartana/Mega Alakazam can get the sweep. Toxapex is the staple of my wall as I usually end up winning through toxic stalling my opponent. I like Lando for the defog/earthquake. Not too sure to put in the last spot, as I am always switching it up.\. Glaring weakness is how frail my team is. If someone sets up and I cannot use haze, I find it tough to win. Also am very weak to ground. Any advice on how to make this team better? Open to any and all suggestions, but really do not want to get rid of Kartana.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magic Coat
- Spore
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
My suicide lead. I start with smeargle and immediately use spore if possible, or switch out if they are leading with a mega bounce user like Mega Diance/Sableye. Main goal is to spore, sticky web and stealth rock. I like Smeargle more than any other hazard setter because of the move pool most importantly. Used to run a suicide ribombee here, but the stealth rocks helps cripple fire types that threaten my Kartana.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze
- Toxic
The Pex. Use his hear to wall threats to my team. Max investment in defense and HP to make him that much harder to take down. I like to switch into him to wall and physical attackers. If they are set up, I like to use haze to reset stat boosts then toxic recover stall until a switch out. Scald instead of a poison move to deal with fire types that hurt Kartana. Bold nature again for more defensive bulk.

Kartana @ Steelium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Sword
- Leaf Blade
- Swords Dance
- Smart Strike
My ace. Once my webs are up, there is very little people can do to out-speed Kartana and revenge kill him unless they are running choice scarf with a fire move. Max EV investment in attack and speed just so he has more sweeping potential in this very fast meta. I like having my Z move on steel just so I can easily take out Magearna and all the Tapus. Leaf blade/smart strike as my main STAB moves, swords dance to set up and sacred sword to take out fire types if I am boosted and faster. I like to run jolly nature so I can have a bit higher speed in case my webs were removed.

Landorus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Defog
I like to run Lando here for a couple reasons mainly. He's a very deadly threat that I can set up and also sweep with if my Kartana went down. I run earthquake to deal with fire types, and his flying type helps me bait out earthquakes to get easy switch ins. I like to run swords dance to set up and stone edge for more Charizard/flying coverage. Make investments in attack and speed for more sweep potential and adamant nature for way more fire power.

Alakazam-Mega @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind
My second ace. If i see a bulky physical team, I try to get the set up with alakazam instead of kartana. After a calm mind, it is very tough for teams to revenge kill him once my webs are up. Max investment in Speed and SpA for more sweeping potential and modest nature for more fire power again. Psychic as my main stab move to destroy mostly anything in its path. Focus blast for dark coverage and shadow ball for psychic.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Protect
- Wish
- Heal Bell
Special wall. I put clefable in this spot to help out with more special bulk. Max investment in HP and SpD for speical bulk. Unaware to switch into set up special attackers to take wall them out. Moonblast so I am not completely shut down by taunt and also so I can have dragon coverage. Wish to heal any low HP teammates. Protect to guarantee a safe wish, and finally heal bell to cure other pokemon or burn and poison. Helps out a ton when my Kartana gets burned.

Last edited:

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Welcome to Smogon! I'm locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you provide at least 3 lines of descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and take a look at Team Showcase to see the level of detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions and I'll be happy to unlock this.

TPP Edit: Unlocked!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I’d like to suggest some ideas to fix this somewhat flawed team.

Major Changes:

—->

Ribombee over Shuckle gives a much less abusable web setter that’s immune to Fake Out while outspeeding every non scarf Defog user and threatening them with Moonblast. It can even use Stun Spore to cripple them.

—->

Mega Pinsir over Mega Alakazam gives you a way to better abuse webs while having a consistent way to break balance teams.

—->

Excadrill over Kartana gives your lead Stealth Rock setter that also spins, which is super important given you’re going to have Mega Pinsir who needs Rapid Spin and doesn’t remove webs upon removing hazards.

—->

Serperior over Clefable gives an anti-Defog measure that can abuse webs itself and helps your stall matchup a bit. Also, defensive Pokemon are unnecessary on teams this offensive.

—->

Manaphy over Landorus-T gives a way to very effectively break stall and balanced teams in general and can even beat offensive teams thanks to the webs while supplying some defensive utility on an offensive Pokemon that can abuse webs.

—->

Kommo-o over Toxapex gives an offensive Ash Greninja measure that can abuse webs for a late-game sweep once Mega Pinsir and Serperior break the walls that impede it.

Threatlist:
Excadrill: This can very effectively use Rapid Spin to remove your Sticky Web and Stealth Rock. However, it’s very hard-pressed to get off a spin with all the offensive pressure.

Hawlucha: This thing isn’t effected by Sticky Web at all while being able to sweep through your whole team at +2 and can set up on Serperior and Excadrill if it somehow gets in on it so early with terrain up. Hope to critical Quick Attack I guess.

Celesteela: Can effectively wall everything while recovering with Leech Seed+Protect. Although you can pressure it if you play the matchup well.

Import: https://pokepast.es/07b8897742bc9437

Hope I helped and you consider these ideas!

Hi, I’d like to suggest some ideas to fix this somewhat flawed team.

Major Changes:

View attachment 171109—->View attachment 171112
Ribombee over Shuckle gives a much less abusable web setter that’s immune to Fake Out while outspeeding every non scarf Defog user and threatening them with Moonblast. It can even use Stun Spore to cripple them.

View attachment 171113—->View attachment 171114
Mega Pinsir over Mega Alakazam gives you a way to better abuse webs while having a consistent way to break balance teams.

View attachment 171122—->View attachment 171121
Excadrill over Kartana gives your lead Stealth Rock setter that also spins, which is super important given you’re going to have Mega Pinsir who needs Rapid Spin and doesn’t remove webs upon removing hazards.

View attachment 171123—->View attachment 171125
Serperior over Clefable gives an anti-Defog measure that can abuse webs itself and helps your stall matchup a bit. Also, defensive Pokemon are unnecessary on teams this offensive.

View attachment 171116—->View attachment 171117
Manaphy over Landorus-T gives a way to very effectively break stall and balanced teams in general and can even beat offensive teams thanks to the webs while supplying some defensive utility on an offensive Pokemon that can abuse webs.

View attachment 171118—->View attachment 171119
Kommo-o over Toxapex gives an offensive Ash Greninja measure that can abuse webs for a late-game sweep once Mega Pinsir and Serperior break the walls that impede it.

Threatlist:
View attachment 171120Excadrill: This can very effectively use Rapid Spin to remove your Sticky Web and Stealth Rock. However, it’s very hard-pressed to get off a spin with all the offensive pressure.

View attachment 171127Hawlucha: This thing isn’t effected by Sticky Web at all while being able to sweep through your whole team at +2 and can set up on Serperior and Excadrill if it somehow gets in on it so early with terrain up. Hope to critical Quick Attack I guess.

View attachment 171128Celesteela: Can effectively wall everything while recovering with Leech Seed+Protect. Although you can pressure it if you play the matchup well.

Import: https://pokepast.es/07b8897742bc9437

Hope I helped and you consider these ideas!
dude, i know you're having a good will to fix someone's team and i'm sure people appreciate the work you're putting into this, but changing all six pokémon is just ridiculous lol, you're not rating their team you're giving them a new one. it's very hard to keep the premise of a team if you change more than 3 pokémon. try giving this thread a read: How to Rate (REQUIRED READING) to avoid changing people's teams too much and losing their idiosyncrasy along the way.

on another note, try going more in depth on your changes too, this is something i myself could improve on a bit too, but giving only 1-2 lines per change is definitely not ideal and will probably leave the person who posted their team scratching their head a bit as to why you changed so much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)