Rating Practice Teams 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. Welcome to the Rating Practice Teams 14! We haven't had one of these in a while, so Honus and I felt like we should start anew. The goal of these practice sessions are simple: to help improve raters and to get them moved on to the next step of team rating! Whether that be starting out rating, earning a lady bug, or earning the prestigious Team Rater badge, it doesn't matter. The point is to improve everyone involved! I've asked top players to provide Honus and I some teams from the respective tiers they play and they provided a quick description of what each Pokemon's function on the team is. I would like to give a huge thank you to Jirachi, PK Gaming, Molk, FLCL, and Blarajan, because without them this wouldn't be happening (I provided the Ubers team). How this will work is rather simple: if you wish to participate, you simply write up a rate to whichever teams you want. You MAY do more than one time provided that you know what you're talking about. The best raters will be remember by the rating staff and will possibly gain rewards listed below. This is an exercise that helps everyone! There is a team from each prominent Smogon tier, so everyone from every tier has a chance to participate. If you do decide to, an official Team Rater will check over your rate, even the formatting of it, and reply to what you did right and wrong. Be sure to do well since you well be getting attention if you do! Good luck.

ALL PRACTICE RATES SHOULD BE PM'D TO PRINCESS BRI, JIRACHI, HARSHA, AND HONUS BY NO LATER THAN JULY 8th. RATES RECEIVED AFTER THIS DATE WILL NOT BE ANALYZED. PLEASE INDICATE THE RATED TIER SOMEWHERE IN THE PM. YOU MAY RATE MORE THAN ONE TEAM.

Before you start rating, reading the How To Rate thread would be really useful; it will help you with rating in general, and it contains what we look for when we see a rate.

Fruits of your Labor:

By participating in this project, you're setting yourself up for some prestigious rewards and acknowledgement from the official Team Raters who decide upon which users get the badge.

• Doing well in this project can get you closer to earning the Ladybug (
    )
    or Team Rater (
    ) badges.
  • The users who send in the best rates can earn a bold user title.
  • The users who send in the best rates can earn VOPs in #ratemyteam on SynIrc.
  • The users who participate in this project become more experienced raters and gain useful feedback from official Team Raters, so you can become one step closer to gaining the badge!
Practice Teams by Tier:

|
|
|
|
|

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Download
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam
- Explosion

Genesect is the team's obligatory Scarfer. It is the team's secondary steel and allows the team to check otherwise pesky Pokemon that could break through my balanced core like Rayquaza, Lati@s, Darkrai, and Mewtwo.

Landorus-T (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 196 HP / 76 Atk / 236 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Landorus-T is a nice pivot with Intimidate, its Ground-type immunity, and good defenses. It sets Stealth Rock with ease while checking Substitute + Hone Claws Zekrom which 6-0's me otherwise. Landorus-T is also the team's primary Groudon counter, ExtremeKiller Arceus check, and Ho-Oh check. I chose U-turn to combo with Genesect's.

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Atk / 208 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Protect
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip

Ferrothorn in rain is very good. It walls a majority of Ubers Pokemon like Scarf Kyogre, Manaphy, and several Dragon-type Pokemon. It sets Spikes for the team as well and can annoy the oppnent with Leech Seed and Protect.

Tentacruel (F) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Def / 28 SDef / 20 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Substitute

Tentacruel is the team's spinner. It can burn opposing Ferrothorn with Scald and beat them 1v1 the majority of the time with Substitute. I have some Speed EV's to speed creep faster Giratina-O's and Toxic them before they Substitute. Tentacruel also can check CM Arceus if Kyogre is weakened or dead.

Kyogre @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 248 SDef / 12 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Calm Mind

Kyogre is the primary check to Darkrai and CM Arceus the team has. Kyogre can boost its Blissey-like Special Defense with Calm Mind and sweep unprepared teams with its RestTalk set. Scald is for fishing for burns on Pokemon like Ferrothorn.

Arceus-Ghost @ Spooky Plate
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Judgment
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Arceus-Ghost is the team's Spinblocker. I chose Will-O-Wisp instead of Focus Blast because I wanted to burn random physical attackers. Arceus-Ghost also gives me a faster sweeper as a win condition.

|
|
|
|
|

Gengar @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Substitute
- Pain Split

Gengar is the Pokemon which ends games for this team. With its Speed and coverage, it's able to clean up weakened teams rather easily. I opted for the Substitute + Pain Split set because it's best sweeping set for Gengar, having great coverage, survivability, and power. Gengar also helps the team against the ever threatening Fighting types which could be an issue since Tyranitar tends to let them free switch ins.

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- U-turn

Hydreigon's main job is to break down walls for Gengar, especially Jirachi. It's almost impossible to switch safely into Choice Specs Hydreigon, and thanks to U-turn, the things who like to switch into it, like Blissey, are punished for that. Hydreigon works very well in tandem with Gengar. Another thing that Hydreigon can do is help the team against Sun teams, since they could be threatening otherwise.

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- U-turn
- Trick

Jirachi is the team's revenge killer. It's very helpful against things like Dragonite since they could otherwise be very threatening to the team after they set up. Jirachi is also the team's only Steel type and will come in handy against stuff like Latios, even though Tyranitar can Pursuit it, it will be able to do some damage. Jirachi's last role is to provide an early game scout thanks to its high speed and U-turn.

Landorus-T (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 64 Atk / 200 HP / 244 Def
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

A pivot is always nice and there is very little Pokemon who are able to do that job as well as Landorus-T. It can set up Stealth Rock, come in on resisted attacks or weaker physical hits, and then grab some momentum thanks to a slow U-turn. Even with so little investment, Landorus-T will hit fairly hard with Earthquake since its base Attack is so high, something a Pokemon so bulky rarely ever has the opportunity to have.

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 224 SAtk / 32 HP
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Psyshock
- Recover

Latias is the glue that holds the team together. It patches up the weaknesses to many of the most threatening Pokemon in the metagame, including Keldeo and Thundurus-T. It can also provide a back up late game sweeper in the case Gengar is KO'ed or simply isn't effective against the opponent's team. Latias is basically an all-in-one Pokemon which is helpful in every battle, and the team can't really afford to lose it.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 140 HP / 252 Atk / 116 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Tyranitar gives the team a reliable way to fight the opponent's weather and also a solid wallbreaker to use against more defensive teams. It also gives the team a way to get rid of annoying latis who could be dangerous since Scarf Jirachi isn't exactly the bulkiest Pokemon around, so when it comes to tanking Specs Draco Meteors it needs some help. Anyways thanks for rating guys, this team sucks almost as much as me, so I could use all the help I can get ~ Jirachi

|
|
|
|
|

Spikestacking team that uses a double ghost / double dragon core with a utility attacker.

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Surf

Primary lategame sweeper. Comes in lategame whenever an oppurtunity presents itself, and (hopefully) wins the game. Preferably after hazards have been set up.

Flygon (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Revenge killer / secondary lategame cleaner. Kingdra and Flygon share similar checks and counters, and Kingdra tends to weaken (or outright) KO Flygons counters, making it easier to sweep lategame.

Froslass (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Ice Beam
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt

Lead hazard setter. Pretty guaranteed to get at least 1-2 layer(s) of spikes (that is, if they lack a hazard user) and a potential kill with Destiny Bond.

Cinccino (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Tail Slap
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Blast
- U-turn

Utility offensive check to a bunch of Pokemon in UU because of its great coverage, offense and high speed. Can act as a sweeper if hazards are down.

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Trait: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Dragon Tail

Stealth Rock setter, sole electric-type & togekiss check... It can act as a general check to everything because of solidi rock. Dragon Tail is nasty when hazards are fully set up.

Cofagrigus (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 0 Spd
- Trick Room
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Spinblocker, Fighting-type check and lategame sweeper. TR Cofagrigus is really nasty lategame, and all of its counters are lured out / beaten by the various Pokemon on this team.

|
|
|
|
|

Golurk @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 156 HP / 244 Atk / 108 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch
- Fire Punch

Golurk is the Stealth Rock setter of the team, and gives the team some nice resistances as well, its my best check to scarf Electric-types such as Galvantula and Manectric, although it struggles against the Rotom-formes if i dont play well. Golurk also gives me a spinblocker and a check to unburden Hitmonlee with its handy Ghost-typing. EVs let me outspeed minimum speed lanturn plus a bit of speed creep, then i simply maximized my attack and put the rest into bulk to take general attacks better.

Drifblim @ Flying Gem
Trait: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp
- Destiny Bond

Drifblim is my second spinblocker and one of the most important members of the team, when played correctly Drifblim will almost always get one KO per match, and it abuses hazards exceptionally well on its own. Despite Drifblim's ability to sweep on its own, its main use is to cripple and/or defeat swellow's checks and counters with a combination of repeated Acrobatics, Will-O-Wisp, and Destiny Bond, clearing the way for a late game swellow sweep.

Swellow @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Protect / Quick Attack
- Facade
- Brave Bird
- U-turn

Swellow is the Pokemon this team was built around, and perhaps one of the most dangerous NU Pokemon thats usable in RU, after swellow's checks and counters have been weakened or eliminated via a combination of hazards and drifblim, Swellow can simply switch in, activate its toxic orb, and clean up. It also gives me a way to revenge kill certain Pokemon such as sceptile, and a way to scout early game with U-turn.

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave

Ferroseed is the team's spike setter, and it does an exceptional job at that. Ferroseed performs well against many of the Pokemon that completely wall swellow and Drifblim, such as Rhydon and Steelix, using them as Spikes fodder while sapping away their health with Leech Seed. Ferroseed also checks some dangerous Water-type pokemon for the rest of the team, such as Omastar and Feraligatr. lastly, and perhaps most importantly, Ferroseed is the only Spiker that can reliably beat both of the main spinners: kabutops and cryogonal 1 vs 1, even discouraging Rapid Spin with Iron Barbs.

Kabutops @ Lum Berry
Trait: Swift Swim
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin
- Aqua Jet

With Drifblim and Especially swellow hating the presence of Stealth Rock on the field, a spinner is pretty important to this team, and Kabutops fills the role admirably. Kabutops is probably the best Rapid Spinner in the tier and matches up well against most of the potential spinblockers, with only Rotom posing a huge threat to it. A lum berry is used here to give Kabutops a good matchup vs lead Smeargle, absorbing the Spore and quickly KOing it with a combination of Waterfall and Aqua Jet before it can set up too many hazards. Kabutops also makes a cool check to Entei, 4x resisting Flare Blitz, resisting Extremespeed, and threatening it in return with Waterfall. Swift Swim is used here to check opposing Rain Teams along with Ferroseed, but weak armor is definitely an option as well due to their rarity.

Emboar @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Sleep Talk

Emboar is one of the best glue Pokemon for an offensive team out there, and this team is no exception, Choice Scarf Emboar provides me with a nice check to many big threats such as special Sceptile, Lilligant, Durant, Escavalier, Spiritomb, Galvantula, Accelgor, Klinklang, and most hail abusers. Emboar also makes a good sleep absorber with Sleep Talk, so its my primary switch in to things such as Amoonguss and Tangrowth.

|
|
|
|
|

Golurk @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Atk / 176 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch
- Stealth Rock

Golurk is here to provide Stealth Rocks for the team and check Electric and Fighting types. It also hits very hard so losing momentum is not a problem when it's in play. Max HP gives Golurk the bulk needed to take hits and 176 Speed allows it to beat Golem.

Roselia @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Spikes
- Rest

Spikes are really good in this metagame and Roselia is a really reliable setter. It also counters Seismitoad and Samurott which are bad matchups for Golurk to lead against.

Carracosta @ Life Orb
Trait: Solid Rock
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Stone Edge
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet

Carracosta is one of the best sweepers in the tier. All of its counters can be worn down by Spikes and it has a powerful priority attack to take down frail Choice Scarf users. Carracosta will usually be wrecking things early game so the rest of the team can have an easier time sweeping.

Charizard @ Flying Gem
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Swords Dance Charizard is a really good partner for Carracosta since they both have similar counters. Acrobatics hits surprisngly hard and can OHKO Alomomola at +4. Charizard is also really fast and can Roost up which makes it a deadly weapon against stall.

Kangaskhan (F) @ Silk Scarf
Trait: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Kangaskhan checks basically every offensive Pokemon in the tier with Fake Out and Sucker Punch. It can also abuse Spikes and hit hard with Double Edge. Many Pokemon that wall it are worn down or killed by Charizard and Carracosta.

Jynx (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Trick

Jynx is the main revenge killer of the team and helps with just about anything. It is the team's only defense against opposing Carracosta. Jynx can also clean up late game with Ice Beam or Psychic.

|
|
|
|
|

Drilbur (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 196 HP / 76 SDef / 212 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

I chose Drilbur for a reliable check to whatever, a spinner, and Stealth Rock user. It helps my team by providing necessary support and by acting as a solid deterrence to Chinchou, Bronzor, and Magnemite.

Magnemite @ Eviolite
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 156 HP / 36 Def / 240 SAtk / 76 SDef
Calm Nature
- Magnet Rise
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Magnemite is on the team because of annoying Steel-type Pokemon who are immune to Poison. It limits the number of hazards Ferroseed and co can put out while letting the rest of the team Poison everything else. It also acts as a good counter for Foongus, one of the most threatening Pokemon for this team.

Foongus (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 124 HP / 156 Def / 156 SDef
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Toxic

Foongus is the definition of annoying. Spore helps cripple my opponent, while Toxic further cripples the switch ins. It is my primary check for Water-type Pokemon such as Chinchou and Staryu. It likewise helps tank Ground-type moves with its solid bulk.

Riolu (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 196 HP / 196 Def / 116 SDef
Impish Nature
- Copycat
- Protect
- Drain Punch
- Toxic

"Riolu is the one man army that further supports Foongus in spreading Poison with Prankster. Copycat acts as a makeshift check for basically every threat in the game, while its priority Toxic is invaluable for catching Pokemon such as Murkrow or Misdreavus.

Murkrow (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Prankster
Level: 5
EVs: 196 HP / 100 Def / 180 SDef / 28 Spd
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Drill Peck
- Toxic

Sub Toxic Murkrow is an insane lure for Chinchou, Porygon, Lileep, and other otherwise annoying Pokemon who would not frequently switch into the rest of my squad. It can singlehandedly stall out teams itself if it manages a free turn. It, Riolu, and Foongus form my Toxic core, which actually is really solid for this metagame.

Misdreavus (F) @ Eviolite
EVs: 36 HP / 120 Def / 80 SDef / 240 Spd
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Pain Split

Misdreavus is the king of glue Pokemon. I basically threw it in because it is solid random bulk that lets me tank anything that I have to. It also provides Will-o-Wisp for Pokemon immune to Poison.

Be sure to send in your rates to ALL OF Honus, Harsha, Jirachi, and I by July 8th if you wish to participate and have a chance at the rewards listed in the OP. Thanks. :)

p.s. DO NOT post in this thread. If you have a question, VM or PM Honus or I. Thanks for your cooperation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)