Approved Rating Progression Graph

After using PS! for some time I had the desire to see my rating history, meaning I wanted to see how my rating has fluctuated over the last month or so. A good way to do this would be visually, through a simple line-graph. This is a fairly common feature and is used on many gaming sites like chess.com for example. Also, it seems easy to do in practice: one vertex is the time, the other vertex is the rating. The increase/decrease/dips/ in the graphs can be seen through a simple line connecting all of the points. I guess you can switch the time between last week, month, year, etc.... Or perhaps even by hour since many people binge play dozens of games in a day.

Also if this gets approved can I help in implementing the feature? I have some programming experience and am currently working towards a degree in Computer Science.

Last edited:

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
This is kind of beyond me, but I think database changes are one of the trickiest things to get approved due to the extra permissions required. I like the concept, though; if this gets enough popularity I'm sure someone will get the gears turning. I know the stat bot on the Discord has been well-received by all.

pre

pkmn.cc
Zarel can correct me on this, but I don't think we have any convenient way of getting this data currently. The ladder database does not store the full history of ratings, we just update the current rating after each battle. For this to work efficiently we would need to add a table keeping track of the results of each battle (we technically have the full history of rated battles, its just stored in the raw log files, not the database).

TBH though, having a battle metadata table would be useful beyond just rating history graphs, as it would simplify commands like /battlesearch as well. We've even talked about combining replays and the battle logs into one database, where the main blockers are size (we'd want to make sure the DB compressed the logs), scaling concerns (ie. read and write performance) and compatibility (until the usage stats rewrite launches, the existing stats scripts won't be able to read from any new database we create).

Zarel can correct me on this, but I don't think we have any convenient way of getting this data currently. The ladder database does not store the full history of ratings, we just update the current rating after each battle. For this to work efficiently we would need to add a table keeping track of the results of each battle (we technically have the full history of rated battles, its just stored in the raw log files, not the database).

TBH though, having a battle metadata table would be useful beyond just rating history graphs, as it would simplify commands like /battlesearch as well. We've even talked about combining replays and the battle logs into one database, where the main blockers are size (we'd want to make sure the DB compressed the logs), scaling concerns (ie. read and write performance) and compatibility (until the usage stats rewrite launches, the existing stats scripts won't be able to read from any new database we create).
Thank you for the in-depth comment. It seems like my proposal would take a lot of re-wiring and may not be worth the effort. Well, if anyone wants to try and tackle this anyways, I'm always available to be shown the ropes.

Would it not be possible to have like a "peak" or something? Just to show the highest rank ever achieved in a certain tier

pre

pkmn.cc
Would it not be possible to have like a "peak" or something? Just to show the highest rank ever achieved in a certain tier
Everything is possible, its just requires work. Saving just the peak would alleviate potential space concerns around saving the full history, but is more limited and less generally useful, so its unlikely we'd pursue that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)