Tournaments RBYPL IV - Finals [Won by Glacial Articunos]

Tree69420

早上好中国、现在我有bing chilling!
is a Tiering Contributor
Glacial Articunos (0) vs (0) Viridian Victreebels
OU: nicole7735 vs SaDiSTiCNarwhal She did it once, she can do it again
OU: Isza vs Kenix Isza the goat
Rands: Lady Writer vs snaga Activity

4/10 correct for the main, and 2/3 for the tiebreak tier/player predicts. Pretty garbage, but I'm counting my wins.

Glacial Articunos (2) vs (1) Viridian Victreebels
OU: nicole7735 vs SaDiSTiCNarwhal: I specified "if he doesn't mald" last time, but he did indeed mald and tilt, so I still kinda feel like I was right. Doubling down.
OU: Isza vs Kenix: Kenix bic pen was too big, so Isza. But for real, this is just an emotional pick of rooting for a former teammate to clutch up. Isza won last time these two played, and I expect him to clean his play after the last set.
Rands: Lady Writer vs snaga: Did not expect rands, but I respect the meta call. Snaga's spell has been broken, LW will take it home.

Overall confidence in my picks: 50% / 49% / 55%. LFG.

Also, note to all players: I will perform a detailed analysis of all luck and hax after all the games are played, so we can definitively say who was luckier in tiebreak (some formula of %chance x Frequency, idfk). So no need to argue about it in the discord

Glacial Articunos (1) Vs (1) Viridian Victreebels
OU: nicole7735 vs SaDiSTiCNarwhal
OU: Isza Vs Kenix - If Isza doesn't play like he did last week, he will win, that is a massive if.
Rands: Lady Writer vs snaga

Lady Writer

on the tv
is a Tiering Contributor
won an intense one vs snaga, gg
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen1randombattle-733580
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen1randombattle-733589
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen1randombattle-733596
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen1randombattle-733605
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen1randombattle-733613

shoutout to my teammates, you guys were awesome and this has been one of my favorite team tours to date. may not be playing in this tour in the future depending on the status of randbats and whether it's being brought back, but I enjoyed playing it this season. maybe i'll take some rby ou lessons tho ;)

thank you Sabelette and Frrf for taking a chance on a randbats player, thanks for trusting me and I'm glad I was able to perform when you needed me most

Go Cunos!
2961637e0724df16f935828ce770326c.gif

What a season, before I do any shout outs story time.

My introduction to RBY generally was when I discovered Pokemon Perfect, an old gen forum with a strong RBY playerbase. My objective was to learn RBY and ADV since I had nothing better to do at the time. I made finals of a tournament where I played Troller and lost in 5, although it was an enjoyable set for me cause I made my own teams and tried to learn as I went along.

Fast forward to last year, I qualified for Smogon classic and lost a extremely close set to the winner, getting me drafted for spl. There was only 1 problem though: I was playing RBY,(with no support) which my talented managers thought was a fantastic idea. For someone who mains fairy gens, this was worst case scenario. This resulted basically being bullied by a very deep pool of some of the best players in the tier. I went 2-4 with my 2 wins being Nails and serpi, and my Ls being Mana, Chuva, Troller, and Felix.

As discouraged as I was about the tier, I decided to play rby WC where I learned alot from Emma and narwhal, although I was still unaware of some mechanics and it showed/cost me in-game.

And then we have today, where I finished 5-4 which tbh I don't even think is really great. I'm very objective but I definitely think I should have won that finals game and week 1, although that's mons. You can say that I'm grateful for SPL because now I'm a good Rbyer, which feels good as a competitor.

Shoutouts to Kenix And SaDiSTiCNarwhal who put together a phenomenal team. Finals/tiebreak was a little bit of a nightmare, hard work and consistency are 2 things I can respect as a competitor, well done.

Thank you to Sabelette nicole7735 Frrf and @sceptros for the amazing support this season, my success is because of you guys.

Season MWPS

Lady Writer you were the only person I called with all season, I'm glad you were able to clutch it up. I play monotype and that's a tier I feel I'd never pick in a tiebreak, same as randbats. We were confident in you and you delivered.

Mashing learning a tier you NEVER played in a must win week, and being a decider game takes some balls. I have massive respect for anyone who takes the time for that, thank you again.

To the rest of the team, you all did great. This was one of the better team chats I've been apart of, and you all contributed to it. Shout to to everyone who listened to my speeches (besides rozes he's too strong and clouted for that) This was enjoyable and id 10/10 play with you all again. :heart:

Oh and one more thing

RED BLUE YELLOW!

Last edited:
Just wanted to do a quick shoutout for our support bc I think they were really instrumental to our win.

juoean you made sure our lowtier players always went in with strong teams and good lines, your meta knowledge was immensely helpful and you were a huge difference maker in UU and NU especially.

Sceptross your contributions to our OU were vital, our slots really improved after you joined the cord thanks to your scouts and teams. Couldn't have done it without you!

Wanted in 49 States tysm for the ton of effort you put into the PU scouts, Teh got to start every week with lots of knowledge on his opponent and it really went a long way - hope to see you do well in future PU tours!

NotVeryCake you talk a LOT even when you sometimes shouldn't but you really helped keep the activity levels high and your attitude towards always wanting to learn more is admirable.

and of course shoutouts to everyone else who joined the cord and helped, + my stellar teammates ly all!

Sabelette

from the river to the sea
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
LETS FUCKING GO CUNOS

This is my first time managing and I'm so fucking happy I got to manage with Frrf and that we took it all the way to the end. I'm also thrilled I got to team with so many cool people and overall the energy this tour was just incredible. I admit things got a little salty, and I'll own that I have a temper, but ggs to most of the Vics and thanks to those of you that buried the hatchet instead of launching into personal attacks. I was incredibly invested in this tour, and passion means high emotions, and I think without that why even play the game? Those who know me also know I was going through a lot of rough IRL shit and that definitely did not help. Still, I'll reel it in a little more and keep it more private in the future, I want everyone to have a good time with these tours and clearly I misread the room at some points. Anywho, incredibly fun tour, thank you to the hosts for running it so smoothly and for the shot at managing!

Shoutouts time!

Cunos
Frrf - I adore you, girl, I'm so fucking happy you asked me to manage with you. I wouldn't want it any other way and I think we worked really well together, from draft planning to lineups to supporting our players. Thank you for putting up with me at my best and worst and thank you so much for being on top of things even when my IRL became a complete rollercoaster multiple times during this tour. I know you had a rough tour individually but I feel like the level of trust and support we have for each other helped us carry it through to the end and keep our players ready. I truly don't think I could have pushed to the end alongside anyone else. Ily <3

nicole7735 - my fucking GOAT holy shit. You won every time it mattered, beating Narwhal back to back to get us the tour was some of the best shit I've ever seen in my life. Beyond that you provided such immense support for every single tier and I knew it was worth every penny to get you. I also made it a mission to finally get to team with you and I'm so fucking happy it worked out. This whole tour was a lot of fun and a big part of that was finally getting to team after how long we've been put against each other. <3

Isza - what a treat it was to team with you, man. 10k to retain you was an absolute steal after seeing the work you put in to derust in this tier in SPL of all settings, and your relentless energy and positivity were wonderful to have. There were a few times I was starting to get a bit down and you just never once lost faith and that helped me so much in keeping my energy up. I would be thrilled to team again in any setting and I'm happy we could have such a lovely team atmosphere. RED BLUE YELLOW!

TehTayTeh - when we started this I recall you were super nervous for your first start and so worried that you'd do badly... and then you got off to a 3-0 start and started finding your confidence. I had faith in you from the start and you were always our #1 PU pick by a mile, and god damn did you show up for us. Truly, dude, you deserve the confidence you started to build this tour, and also you said so much genuinely hilarious shit (whether serious or trolling) and it was a joy to watch. Thanks for playing for us, GOAT, I'll see you in many a future tour.

Tree69420 - dunno how the fuck we got you and people didn't fight harder for you but you showed up exactly as well as I hoped. You really have come a long way from when you'd just say shit you couldn't back up and I'm so here for it. That said, reel in the shit talk a bit! You're more than capable of just proving shit in the game, let your opponents embarrass themselves instead of getting into it. You're easily one of the best UUers and you're very good at analyzing and growing from your mistakes - keep going and branch out a bit!

Tuthur - your work ethic this tour was amazing and I really appreciated how fast I saw you grow and improve as the weeks passed. There's a reason Narwhal got so salty when we snagged you, and it's because you put the work in to be more than worth the price tag. Thanks for always being in there when we needed you and for taking the time to drill down on lines and teams - I'll be happy to team again whenever there's a chance to!

avarice - thank you for being so ready to just go in at random times. You're a person of relatively few words but we never had to worry that you'd show up, hold it down, and bring a good energy to the team chat when it was RED BLUE YELLOW time. Thanks for putting the work in and being so ready with how much shuffling we had to do.

Medeia - I'm sorry you got burned out during this tour. Thank you for the work you put into that week 1 win and for staying in for so long even when the overall mons burnout started to set in. Ultimately, we got there in the end, and I hope you can recover.

shiloh - the record may say one thing, but fuck it, you won the most important week in the tour. Thanks for showing up for us and thank you for going out of your way to make the teamcord more comfortable, and for showing up for so many taxing BO5s.

Mashing - holy fucking shit Mashing you are my GOAT. Your willingness to jump into a tier you'd never played and just play dozens of practice games with me, learn all these difficult lines, and play against one of the best NUers of all time was fucking inspirational, and I cannot believe how well you executed at game time, in your first real matches in the tier, in a 4-5 finals situation. I honestly would have choked that, and you didn't just win, you made almost every single correct move. Truly you single handedly saved the season after I choked and I appreciate you so much for it. Mashoat <3

Lady Writer - holy FUCK dude. If you told me at the start of the season I would have trusted the fate of our entire tournament to a Rands Bo5, I would have told you you're off your rocker. I remember when you joined during tryouts, I was immediately really impressed and you were our #1 pick. I cannot believe we were allowed to snag you so cheap - your thought process for the game, analysis in the post-game, and mentality are just all so good, and it seemed clear to me that you were absolutely the pick from the start. Not only did you put up a good tour, when I put out the call for who felt comfortable going into tiebreaks, you had the confidence to bet the season on your rands skills, and holy fuck do I feel smug about making the call to send you in now. It would have been so easy to choke in a g5 decider and you held it together and took us home. Thanks for playing for us, you are fucking cracked and you are only gonna continue to dominate rands, I guarantee it.

Support

Sceptross - holy shit, the moment you joined its like our OU instantly leveled up. Thank you so much for all the work you put in to help our players learn and grow - I learned a lot and I wasn't even OUing. I'm super happy you're back to RBY, our conversations and our tour match have been an absolute treat and I'm happy to have made a new friend <3

Gastlies - I wanted to get you so bad but the Poopoo Primeapes wouldn't let us team :( I hope we can team soon, you are a genuinely wonderful person and I enjoy all of our interactions, and I'm so glad you could come hang out and support us on the road to finals <3

juoean - truly it mystifies me how such a wonderful human just wandered into my life but you're one of my best friends and it means the world to me how much effort you put into supporting me and teams I'm on. You made our lower tiers so much better with all your work and I appreciate you so much <3

NotVeryCake - you put an immense amount of work into RBY, even if I lament that you never read the chat ;_; Still, thank you for your support and your incessant willingness to practice, you are a massive resource to any team for that alone.

Wanted in 49 States - GOAT PU support, your work was immense in keeping Teh on a good track and good mindset as well as keeping him playing good shit. It's a crime you weren't drafted, but thank you so much for immediately hopping in with us and helping us take it home.

spellcaster - greatest emotional support OAT, thank you for holding my hand through some absolutely grueling tiebreaks. <3

To all our other supports, cheerleaders, and so on - BeeOrSomething, Ctown6, fade, Melanie goes boating, Paulluxx, royzin, corvere, Acetylaldehyde - thank you so much. We really put together a coalition of all the teams by the end and it meant a lot to have so many people in our corner. <3 you all

Other Players/Teams

Wartortles - I really wish y'all had gone further. Kaz and Scep, you two are my GOATs and I hope you give it another shot because you truly could have gone all the way. If not, please know you'll always have a home with Cunos, I would love to team with either of you (again, in Kaz's case).

Primeapes - I really wanted a huge tour-spanning rivalry after week 1! I think we had the exact right balance of banter to gaming and it ending in a tie was absolutely poetic. <3 all of you and I really hope we get to clash again in the future.

Hypnos - I was hoping to see y'all in the finals after the Week 5 cuts. Sorry it didn't work out, I think a clash between 2 teams still looking for their first trophy would have been hype. See you all next time and thanks for being my first RBYPL home <3

CollectorEly - you are fucking cracked. I hope you keep playing Ubers because genuinely I think you are the absolute best at playing the traditional Ubers lines and you force people to get weird to get you out of your comfort zone. Our games were a treat each time and I got away with robbery vs you the second time but truly it was a lot of fun to play you both times!

Eledyr - sorry I couldn't give you a good game the second time around, but you played it super cleanly. I have a hard time with taking games seriously without stakes so I apologize for not giving you a good one.

King Billu - you've leveled up a ton from when we used to play in random Ubers tours. Your unorthodox plays work well in this tier and I think our set was a banger even if I'm upset that I choked under pressure. I hope you keep playing it and show up in more tours!

Rage - thanks for the maturity even when things got heated. I appreciate you helping stabilize things when your team got really upset over the act.

I had a shoutout written for Narwhal cause I enjoyed our BO5, but he asked me not to, so I'll just say that I'm happy to bury the hatchet whenever he wants to stop holding a grudge about an ultimately meaningless act call :)

Last Thoughts
All in all, this was a wild tournament, and I'm still having a hard time believing we did it. Last year I choked in finals in my debut teamtour after struggling to a 2-4 record in NU, and I'm way happier with my performance this year as well as finally committing to managing. I know I can be a handful as a teammate, co-manager, player, and human being, and I appreciate the people who can handle all of that. I'm looking forward to doing even better next year, getting to team with even more people I've wanted to play with, and continuing to improve at RBY! I'm also looking forward to an absolutely FIRE custom when we get it done - Articuno has always been one of my favorite Pokemon!

Also, shoutout to the PokePride people for watching me freak the fuck out and supporting Cunos in the finals, ily all <3 You're all lovely humans and I'm so glad to have such an amazing and supportive community. Also shoutout to all the newly interested future RBY players there! Poke me anytime for infodumps and games!

RED BLUE YELLOW!

Unfortunate doesn't begin to describe my series, this game rewards ...

All jokes aside my RBY "journey" started earlier this year during the winter seasonal. This was my first or one of my first RBY tours I took seriously where I got acted in top 8 winners bracket by Emma with more than half the week left LOL, so obviously after that result I was super tilted especially after beating some notable players being Nicole and Blazingdark. I was still really proud of my performance. The next seasonal round 1 I got paired with Serpi one of the best RBY players especially currently and lost round 4 losers bracket to Deezcastforms another activity call. Had a great and fun experience during RBYWC with Team Canada huge shoutouts to them even though we didn't play as well as we could have, I really hope that tour returns for next year. This was my first time playing in RBY premier league and I finished with a 5-3 record. 5-1 In Ubers, and 0-2 in OU. Ended up going 5-0 and 10-1 in total games in the last 5 weeks and I felt the work and prep I put in to the tier is a huge reason for my success as well as all my teammates who supported me and helped me throughout. Even though it hurts to come up short like that and lose in a finals tiebreak game 5 situation when we have in my opinion the strongest OU team, it was honestly one of the best team tour experiences I've had and I would definitely love to team up with each and every single one of my teammates again so thank you for an amazing season nonetheless.

Viridian shoutouts

SaDiSTiCNarwhal - I know you're probably upset about how the finals went but you had an amazing tournament and your one hell of a player. Watching you make some crazy plays live throughout the season was a such a fire experience for our team. You were also an amazing manager and are such a chill dude you helped me a lot with prep and you always put in work in every tier making sure everyone was ready while helping them out any way you could. You truly were an amazing manager hope we can team up again soon thanks for drafting me and trusting me after my 0-3 start to the season. I have always respected you as a player and you're one of the best RBY players for sure I hope to see you get drafted for SPL.

Justamente - I'm sorry we couldn't bring it home for you we came just short. You were an amazing manager as well. The amount of prep you put in for us even when you were busy in real life and not playing RBY currently was honestly very amazing, the support you gave our entire team I couldn't have asked for a better manager. I hope you come back to playing soon because you are a really good player I prepped so hard for you during RBYWC. I also really enjoyed our convos we would have even non-Pokémon related was a really enjoyable team environment. Thanks for drafting me hope we can team again sometime.

Kenix - The gardener himself DON Eduardo Carapinga you are an exceptional player and it shows on your record. I can't even count how many times you came in clutch for us when we needed a win. It was fun prepping with you and watching you make crazy plays was so clean. You showed me how using the same couple teams and outplaying your opponent is something that can happen. Was really fun teaming with you hope we can do it again sometime.

RaiZen1704 - You were amazing this season. I watched a lot of your RBYWC games so I always respected you as a a player and knew that having you on our team for OU would be amazing. I really appreciate it after I lost game 1 in the finals you gave me the pep talk about not worrying about the games and to calm down and focus on playing, as well as constantly bringing positivity to our team and winning your games. Was really fun having you around and teaming up with you hope we can team again.

snaga - GOAT Snaga, it was really fun teaming with you, putting you in OU was one of the greatest decisions ever. Starting off 4-0 is insanity, and you are a really good RBY player and player in general. I know tiebreak you got unlucky with the matchups and game 3 should've been yours to not put us in a game 5 situation but you had an amazing performance throughout. The way you could grab a team and play it so well seemed so effortless guess you just naturally good at the game. I hope we can team up again sometime.

oakdeon - GOATdeon it was great to have you around you are very good RBY player. You got a lot of crucial wins for us and the amount of prep you put in and the practice games we played is a huge reason for the success I had this tour. You are also a very nice guy and I hope to team with you again sometime. Goodluck in rising stars top 8.

Khaetis - The NU Goat, so many times we were down and needed a win to bring the momentum back to us and you came through for us. I know you're upset about not winning that finals match but what you brought to the team was out of this world support. It was a really fun season we had and I appreciate all the help and kind words you had to say about me. Hope we can team up again sometime.

Inder - Omg inder goat, you were the only person I really knew on our team before this premier league and I'm happy we got to play together. It's always a blast having you around and I know you didn't have the best season but you are way better than your record shows. On the bright side you got us our first UU win haha. I hope you keep playing RBY and we can team again.

BigFatMantis - BFM the goat it was so amazing having you around the team I always knew you were a good player. You won some clutch weeks for us being slotted in rands lmao and helped with UU prep a ton. Your a really funny guy and I hope we can team up again sometime.

BeatsBlack - You helped a lot with my testing and put a lot of work and effort into your teams. I appreciate you a lot your record doesn't show how much work actually put in to PU when we probably offered the least amount of support in PU. I learned a lot from you for PU and I hope we can teamup again sometime.

phoopes - I know you didn't have the best season but it was really fun teaming with you. You helped a lot in prep for UU and PU especially and the support you gave us helped us win a lot of games even though our UU slot was 1-9 or something. Hope we can team again soon, Goodluck in lower tier circuit!

Rage - My fellow canadian, we didn't really talk much but was great having you around. You were really supportive and hope we can team up again sometime.

Other shoutouts

Hayburner - We didn't talk as much but thank you for helping a lot in PU during finals, I learned a lot from you and I'm sure everyone who read the PU channel appreciates you being there and learned from you.

Genesis7 - I really respect you as a player and believe you are one of the best RBY players for sure. We got along really well during RBYWC you were a great manager for team Canada and I learned a lot from you through your expertise and knowledge about the tier so thank you for that and Goodluck in circuit.

Ctown6 - I remember during grand slam we ended up playing each other in like 3 different opens which was very unfortunate for me, however playing against you definitely made me a stronger player and I remember we had a lot of discussions about RBY tiers and you helped me a lot with teambuilding so thank you for that I really respect you as a a player as well.

Isza - It's always great to see you in any tour because you are GOATED. I'm sure your team loved having you around knowing how good of a teammate you are and how you thrive during a team environment. I've known you for a long time now since Monotype days, Congrats on winning RBYPL and Goodluck in MPL and SPL.

Serpi - Your a really chill dude and I think your the best RBY player currently and it was scary yet an honour to play you in seasonals even though it was round 1. You have helped me a lot with RBY and I appreciate all the help you've given me. Watching you in SPL was amazing and I hope you continue to have the success you're having in RBY.

Enigami - We teamed up for Ubers tours twice I believe but the most memorable was UWTT Qwillas. You were the first person who helped me learn the RBY mechanics and you went out of your way to explain things to me when I was clueless and asked stupid questions about the tier so I appreciate that.

Kaz - A lot of my RBY Ubers success was from watching you play, and I really liked seeing how you would differentiate from standard teams with your creative mindset to your teams. I used a lot of your ideas and found a lot of success and you're a really chill dude thanks for that and Goodluck in circuit!

I'm probably forgetting some people but I hope this wasn't too CRINGE. Congrats to the Articunos and GGs our rivalry was honestly a peek RBY moment for me with so much adrenaline rushing through my body with every play and I know I've said this a bunch of times but this was truly a very amazing season. Seeing everyone's predictions against me throughout the tournament was a lot of motivation for me to preform and play better. Lastly, thank you to the hosts for hosting this tournament until next time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)