Real Time Mafia 2 - Postgames

Thanks to anyone who played, and to Kumar and Earthworm who co-hosted the games! Here is a quick summary of what happened.

The first game was intended to be a bit different from common mafia games. Confusion had an important place in the game, as various roles were focused on deceit and the roles of the players killed at night weren't revealed. Here is the complete list (the text in italic wasn't known):
Mafia:
  • Godfather: once during the game, makes the village's inspection result be mafia, and once during the game makes the inspection fail.
  • Spy: gets the role of his target.
  • Thug: gets negative vote.
  • Kamikaze: kills someone when is lynched, inspector and wedding planner see him as mafia grunt.
  • Intel man: knows how many mafias were target at the end of each night.
  • +2 Grunts.

Village:
  • Inspector: gets the alliance of his target. [revealed as simple citizen]
  • Hooker: stops his target from accomplishing any night action. [revealed as simple citizen]
  • Back-up man: gains up to two roles when their original holders die (possible roles: inspector, hooker, bodyguard, wedding planner, photographer). [revealed as simple citizen]
  • Bodyguard: avoids the death of his target. [revealed as simple citizen]
  • Show host: chooses 3 players. At the beginning of the next day, the guests are revealed to every player and each guest gets to know if there was at least one mafia invited.
  • Hideout owner: owns a private channel and can invite one player per night. When he dies he chooses a new owner amongst the guests who will inheritate this role.
  • Wedding planner: targets two players and see if they are both either mafia grunt or simple citizen (grunt + citizen works).
  • Photographer: gets the names of all the players who targeted the same player as he did.
  • Village mayor: gets mayor vote.
  • +6 Simple citizens.

Neutral:
  • Hypnotizer: chooses a target to hypnotize and a target to kill. The hosts ask the hypnotized player if they want to kill the other target, and if they do the kill is successful. Is impervious to nigh kills. Has a one-time lynch redirect and a one-time mayor. Wins if he's the last alive.
Here is the spreadsheet,
the main channel log,
the mafia channel log,
and the hideout log.

First off, as you can see if you read the logs, I was not a very good host. I took ages to process the night actions, I didn't talk in red so some of my messages went unnoticed, teher was some confusion regarding some of the roles and results... I am infinitely SORRY about that. However, there was at least no mistakes regarding the game itself, and the village's doom was caused mainly by a lot of bad luck, a good deal of antiskill and I have to admit that the roles distribution may have been a bit unbalanced.

So, what happened? The first night and day were actually very important, as the mafia inspected Jumpluff, who was neutral. After that, she simply was another killer following Mekkah's orders, which further geared the balance towards the mafia. TIK, the BG, was random-lynched D1. The first wedding results were known by everyone and could have been used to claim - or maybe the inspector could have made sure one of the guests was indeed village so there was no doubt left... but that wasn't done. In fact the inspector (MagicMaster87) didn't play a really good game: he discovered Mekkah was mafia but didn't made this clear enough, and then tried to inspect dak twice but the godfather's powers falsified his results.

After that, everyone was convinced that Mekkah was the hypnotizer and for some reason that he was working for the village - for example, dak was very happy to suggest targets and to be forced to kill them, although he was not in contact with the real hypno:
<baptista_regime> hypnotize ipl
<baptista_regime> to kill tenken or b abato
<Mekkah> actually
<Mekkah> shall i hypnotize him
<Mekkah> to suicide
<baptista_regime> yes
<baptista_regime> we will claim you fooled me
<baptista_regime> in the post game
Dak probably subconsciously realized his mistake, which led him to commit suicide at the end of the game.
<Mekkah> let's make dak suicide
<Mekkah> for fun
As a result of this lucky start for the mafia, they played an almost perfect game. Their only loss was actually person, the Kamikaze, who they "wanted" dead anyway. The village was very confused by everything that happened, both because of the confusion-creating roles and because some didn't read the thread properly. The players who received a hidden role (Inspector, BG, Hooker, and Back-up man) should also have claimed or made it clear that they had an hidden role: the village should have tried to eliminate as much confusion as soon as possible. This would have allowed them to know with more precision who was alive, who was dead, and who to claim to. The best two players in the village were Pidge and Jimbo, but they could only use their roles for two nights.

And Jumpluff, while she didn't really win, managed to stay alive until the end of the game, which is an accomplishment. It must be said though that if she worked with the village in the beginning (don't forget she knew Mekkah was mafia), she could probably have gone quite far too, since she was immune to night kills and could resist two lynches - which wouldn't have happened soon after revealing the godfather.

Now some awards!

Best FFFFFFF moment: TIK is revealed to be BG (runner-up: the lynch is redirected towards evan, see next award)
<~Accent>IRON_KENYAN was a bodyguard
<+ReyScarface> o...
<+ReyScarface> FUCK
<+billymills> we had a bg?
<+Flounder> ffff
<+billymills> since when?
<+MagicMaster87> well shit
<+Eo> ._.
<+person> there was a bg?
<+CN> what bg?
<+jumpluff> there was a bg?
<+Tenken> new roles
<+Dachickens> o.O
<+lanterminator> what the FUCK
<+LightWolf> well erm BG down
<+billymills> wtf?
<+baptista_regime> why is bg not on the role list
Best false intimidation: Mekkah (with the help of Jumpluff)
<~Accent> it is the day
<~Accent> it's almost the end
<+porygon3> where mekkah is dying
<+Mekkah> im not gonna die
<+Mekkah> since im village inspector
<~Accent> ok day has ended
* Accent sets mode: -v evan
<+LightWolf> what the fuck!!!
<+lanterminator> whyy did evan die
<+MagicMaster87> wtf?
<+Mekkah> fear me
<+Mekkah> the village inspector
<~Accent>evan, a citizen, is dead
<+CN> uh..
<+lanterminator> what the hell
<+billymills> how the fuck
<+matamato> why is evan dead
<+Mekkah> ???
<+MGX> OKOK WHO DIED FROM THE lynch
<+porygon3> evan
<&Kumar> evan
<+matamato> DID MEKKAH CHANGE HIS NAME
<+billymills> evan got lynched?
<+lanterminator> this mafia is ridiculous
<+Tenken> it was redirected
<+Mekkah> he is lynch martyr
<+lanterminator> how the fuck
<+Mekkah> he saved my life
<+Mekkah> when he realized
<+Mekkah> i was village inspector
<+CN> why did evan claim alliance checker =/
<+lanterminator> what
<+lanterminator> the
<+lanterminator> fuck
Funniest dyslexia: Tenken
<+Tenken> matomato is mafia/hypnotist
<+matamato> hey hey hey
<+matamato> at least get it right
<+matamato> its matAmato
<+CN> ma tomato lol
<+jumpluff> loling so hard at matomato
<+matamato> some people, i tell ya
<+Tenken> flounder targetted lanterminator
<+LightWolf> only flounder targeted him?
<+Tenken> yes only fliounder
<+jumpluff> fliounder
<+jumpluff> matomato
<+jumpluff> floudner was kamikazed
<+matamato> matomato
<+matamato> my name isnt matomato first of all
<+LightWolf> yeah we know
<+LightWolf> so what now?
<+LightWolf> we change the lynch?
<+CN> yes
<+Tenken> I'll just say
<+Tenken> matomao, mekkah (probably), regime(no reason), possible Light wolf(unsure)
<+matamato> Tenken i swear to god
<+matamato> how can you spell my name wrong
<+matamato> consistently
<+billymills> lol
<+matamato> like that
<+billymills> ahahahaha
<+matamato> are you retarded
<+Tenken> well regime changed votes so ehh idk
<+imperfectluck> my tomota
<+jumpluff> he's doing it to piss you off
<+jumpluff> lol
<+jumpluff> matomao
<+matamato> i would hope so
<+Tenken> matOmato?
<+jumpluff> tenken are you dsyslexic?
<+LightWolf> I like how you are just guessing
<+jumpluff> dyslexic*
* Kumar sets mode: -v Tenken
Best sudden realization of the truth: macle
<+macle> we are terrible
Best joke: LightWolf
<+CN> seems village is in a minority :(
<+LightWolf> Well yeah because ipl was leading
<+LightWolf> and ipl likes the minority
MVP: Mekkah
He avoided the lynch, and somehow managed to convince the whole village that he was wolf yet friendly.

Overall, if we consider that confusion was the aim of the game, it was a huge success. I think most roles are interesting, balanced, and should be reused for other games, albeit maybe in a different proportion. The same game with the roles revealed at the end of each night could have turned completely differently. Thanks again to all the players and to kumar!

Now, about the second game (RTM 2-2?). This game was way more "normal" than the first one: the roles were fairly common.

Mafia:
  • Inspector
  • Odd nights killer
  • Even nights killer
  • Grunt

Village:
  • Alliance checker
  • Bodyguard
  • Hooker
  • Photographer (knows who targeted his target)
  • Psychologist (knows if his target is simple citizen)
  • 4 Citizens

Neutral:
  • Wolf (gains the roles of the mafias who die, must be the last alive)
Here is the spreadsheet,
the main channel log,
and the mafia channel log.

As you can see, the mafia had odd/even nights killers. While this could be seens as underpowered, it actually made it a lot easier to host (since I always knew who was killing) and it was balanced with the wolf, who would enter the game when the mafia would start dying. They also had a N1 kill which could only work on citizens, to increase the number of victims they would have.

The mafia had also another potentially very effective role, an inspector - and I gave it to dak to make sure it would not go to waste. On night 1, Kannon, the bodyguard - he was protecting himself at this moment -, was inspected (that was lucky for the mafia), and from night 2 until the end of the game, dak managed to get protected every single night.

And so, CN the village inspector was killed during the second night, even after he claimed D1 and launched a successful lynch against a mafia grunt.
<+Mekkah> why didnt you private via me cn
<+Kannon> Mekkah has a point
<+Kannon> this makes you seem more like a mafia trying to get the village on your side
So, yeah, it was silly to publicly claim inspector D1, but after CN died and his role was revealed (the roles were always revealed in this game), Kannon continued to protect dak. Maybe the real hypnotizer was in this game, not the previous one.

There wasn't really any highlight during the game, as it went rather smoothly (i.e. no time for uttering nonsense). CN cancelled Mekkah's attempt to lead, HD the wolf died too early to do anything... So, here are the awards, but there aren't many.

Most random player: mag/supermarth64
<~Accent> 4supermarth subs in for mag
* Accent sets mode: +v supermarth64
<+supermarth64> What
<+baptista_regime> mag was lynched anyway
<+supermarth64> Noooo
<+Lesm46> was this needed
* Accent sets mode: -v supermarth64
<~Accent> 4he is dead
<+Kannon> and dies
<~Accent> 4he was a citizen
I just pretended to use random.org for his role, but he was citizen anyway so I didn't have to do anything.

LVP: Kannon
Yeah, I think I've said enough about that?

MVP: dak
Well, I would have to quote the whole log here. Dak just fooled approximately everyone once CN and Mekkah were taken care of, and had Kannon protect him for the whole game, even though the village power roles kept falling one after another. I planned to give him the chance to kill someone when he is lynched, but it wasn't even necessary. Congratulations.

As I said, this game had a more classic set of roles, and I think it worked quite well - maybe I should have given the mafia a way to work with the wolf. There was no problem during the game, I didn't fuck-up with the day/nights announcements and I even used colour! If you plan on hosting a quick game for 14 players, feel free to use this list of roles.

Again, thanks to all the players and to Earthworm who was the co-host this time!

BTW, the channels #rtm, #rtmvote, #rtmmafiabase and #rtmhideout still exist and are ready to be used for another game. If you want to host, just ask the password, and I'll be glad to give it :)

Circus Maximus doesn't get a whole lot of traffic either way, so I don't think it does much harm. However, I think it's a good idea to just put postgames in the thread where the game is started/advertised, etcetera, so each game has its own thread.

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
getting hypnotiser to save mekkah and kill me was clearly the best move of the game (first). Had I survived that game I was in contact with backup (bg), hooker, inspector and wedding planner. I stopped watching after a while but everyone thought Mekkah was hypnotiser because the lynch was redirected away from him. Why they thought he was going to be friendly i do not know but that is their decision to make.

Anyway, I am disappointed that my people never managed to get together. Everyone from the show managed to clear themselves at the beginning and I guess I should have made clear to all of my contacts that lanterm and ipl were definitely good contacts to go to i don't know if they went to them or not.

We could've had this!!

You have collected very nice information.I like it.I have played this game many times.I do think the game very interesting enough, and this thread is for two games.However I'm not the one to decide.Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)