Real Time Mafia, Round 2

What time(s) would you like RTM #2 to be on?

• Total voters
After the huge success that the first RTM was, they should become a new staple for mafia enthousiasts. Thus, I hereby claim "lemme do next" - verily, I declaresth it.

Approved by Mekkah!

--------------------

By signing up, you agree to ALL of the following rules. If you do not, I will sub you out or godkill you, and possibly invoke further punishment in the form of bans from forum mafia on Circus Maximus. So read it all carefully.

When the rules and the role PMs conflict, the role PMs take priority. For example, one rule says no deadtalking, but if your role PM says you are allowed to deadtalk, you are allowed to do so.
1. Common sense. You are assumed to play to win, and to let this game take priority over any friendships you have. I reserve full judgement over what common sense means.
2. No deadtalking. When you're dead, your voice will be removed, and you are not allowed to converse about the game with anyone who is playing. Whether you think what you said while dead mattered or not is irrelevant.
3. No copypasting any conversations with the host. You may copypaste your role PM, and you may obviously fake one.
4. No changing your nick when you're still playing. Otherwise keeping track becomes too annoying for the hosts.
5. Stay active while you're still playing. You will be subbed out and penalized later if you don't.

I may add more later.

Here's how the process will work.

Sign-Ups

At the designated time and date, the general discussion channel will be taken off invite, and the name will be revealed. The channel will have a user limit that allows a certain number of people to join it. These will be given voice (+v). After this, the channel will open up for everyone willing to watch. If you did not make the cut, I recommend sticking around, as subs will be needed! If I need a sub, I will come to you, not vice versa.

After this, the roles will be randomized, and then the role PMs will be distributed over IRC query. Then the hosts will announce the game is ready, and we will start with Day 1. All the roles present in the game will be revealed at the start of the game, along with the corresponding faction.

Game Flow

At day, everyone has one (1) vote to cast. The person with the most votes against them is lynched. If two people have an equal amount of votes, neither dies. The day ends when majority (more than half of all the possible votes are on one person) is reached, or when the host ends the day for time reasons (this will be announced a few minutes beforehand).

Everyone votes in a separate channel, as to not clog up discussion and votes. Occasionally, the hosts will post a vote count for everyone's convenience. This vote count will assume everyone's vote counts as 1.

At night, every player with a power role PMs the hosts ON IRC with their night action, unless specified otherwise by the hosts themselves.

Communication is allowed everywhere in any way, in both day and night, except in the voting channel, which has to be kept clean for votes. However, if a player floods one of the channels dedicated to the game with unrelated messages, he will be subbed out.

When someone dies, their voice is removed; however their role and alliance is only announced after a lynch, not after a night kill.

The game ends when one faction's win condition is met.

--------------------

THE RTM#2 WILL BE HELD ON SATURDAY AT 7PM UTC.
For those who can't be on at that time, another one will take place on sunday at 1PM UTC.

1PM UTC = 9AM New York = 6AM Los Angeles = 3PM Paris = 12AM Sidney
7PM UTC = 3PM New York = 12PM Los Angeles = 9PM Paris = 6AM Sidney

There are no pre sign-ups. I will announce a channel name at exactly that time, and the first ones to join will be in the game. However if you have showed interest in this thread and are present when the game begins but can't manage to join the channel quickly enough, you might get a spot anyway. Showing interest will also give you more chances of being chosen as a sub if there is the need for one.

--------------------

ROLES

These are the roles that will be used in the game. However, some descriptions may be incomplete, or inaccurate (the alliance given is always the true one). A player always gets the full and exact description of his role before the game starts - he can then decide to share it.

For 20 players

Mafia:

Godfather: once during the game, makes the village's inspection result be mafia.
Spy: gets the role of his target.
Thug: gets negative vote.
Kamikaze: kills someone when is lynched, inspector and wedding planner see him as mafia grunt.
Intel man: knows how many mafias were target at the end of each night.
Grunt.

Village:

Show host: chooses 3 players. At the beginning of the next day, the guests are revealed to every player and each guest gets to know if there was at least one mafia invited.
Hideout owner: owns a private channel and can invite one player per night.
Wedding planner: targets two players and see if they are both either mafia grunt or simple citizen (grunt + citizen works - the alliance isn't checked).
Photographer: gets the names of all the players who targeted the same player as he did.
10 simple citizens.

For more players (for each additional player a line)

Mafia grunt.

Neutral hypnotizer: chooses a target to hypnotize and a target to kill. The hosts ask the hypnotized player if they want to kill the other target, and if they do the kill is successful. Is impervious to nigh kills. Has a one-time lynch redirect and a one-time mayor. Wins if he's the last alive.

Village mayor: gets mayor vote.

Mafia grunt.

2 Village twins: if one dies, the other gets killing power and wins if he is the last player alive. The first twin to die is always revealed as a simple citizen.

Mafia drug dealer: stops his target from accomplishing any night action.

Village hunter: if killed during a lynch, chooses another player who also dies.

Mafia shaman: choses three players at the start of the game. When he dies, all the targets who are still alive also die.

Simple citizen.

Simple citizen.

JOIN #RTM

btw for anyone who wants to host, a guide i whipped up:

Real Time Mafia in Easy Steps

1. Think of your game set-up.

Make it a bit flexible, so that if you get less people than you need, you can easily scrap some roles. You can also do this if you get more people, but personally I prefer limiting sign-ups to a maximum as this makes it easier to find substitutes.

And balance it, of course!

2. Enter and register needed channels on IRC.

I recommend getting one for discussion, one for voting and one for the mafia, and then if you have more factions or roles using channels you can always add those.

To register a channel, join an empty one, then:

/cs register #<channelname> <password> <e-mail>

The e-mail can be fake. You don't really need the password later, I just mashed on my keyboard for both password and e-mail (making sure there was an @ in it)

3. Configure the channel

/cs set #<channelname> mlock [+/-] <modes>

Makes ChanServ enforce the specified modes. Allows you to configure the channel way before the game begins, which makes sure the channel stays the way you want it until it's going to be used.

/mode #<channelname> [+/-] <modes>

Sets the modes by hand right now. ChanServ will automatically undo your changes if they contradict the modes set with mlock (the first method), so make sure to change those first.

Useful modes:
+r shows channel is registered (cannot be changed)
+n stops people not in the channel from talking (default mode)
+t stops people without @, & or ~ from changing the channel topic (default mode)

+m mutes the channel, preventing users without status from talking
+N stops people in the channel from changing nicks
+i stops anyone from joining the channel unless they are invited
+s stops the channel from showing up in your /whois
+l <#> stops anyone from joining the channel if there are # or more users in the channel

I started the channels with mlock on all of the above in the voting and discussion channels, with the channel limit on the total players + total hosts. In my case, I wanted 18 players, myself and my co-host, so I set the limit to 20.

Then when I announced the channels, I took off +i and +s so people could join it (and see it in someone's whois, though that doesn't really matter), but kept +l on. Wait until you hit the player cap. Take note somewhere of all the players that joined, and then voice them using:

/mode #channelname +v <user>

You can voice more users at once, for example by doing +vvv <user1> <user2> <user3>. There's an option for voicing three people at once in your pop-up menu (select up to three in the nick list, then right click)

Keep all the other modes on for the game.

Use /mode #channelname -v <user> to take someone's voice, which should be done when someone is dead or subbed out.

Make sure to enforce the same modes in your voting and discussion channels. For the mafia channel or any other secret channels, you have to keep +si on to prevent anyone you don't want to join it from joining it. Use /invite #<channelname> <user> to invite someone to the channel. Only @, & and ~ can do this.

Ok, the roles are decided. This game will have a minimum of 20 players and a maximum of 31.

The date will be set wednesday. At that point, the option who received the most votes will be chosen, and I will pick a co-host.

Thanks for your interest!

(Previous post quoted to avoid double-post:)
Deadline!

So, I will host the "official" RTM2 on saturday, at 7PM UTC.
However, I will also another one, with fewer people and special rules, for those who couldn't join the first one due to time zones issues - this one will take place on sunday, at 1PM UTC.

Be there!
ATTENTION

I still need a co-host (I really need one for the main game). Kumar if you read this you didn't give me confirmation, so you still are "the first one who asked" but I need you to confirm or cancel.

I will open the channel half an hour before the actual time, so you can come here early. That is also the time when the roles will be revealed, so the earlier you come, the more time you will get to build strategies!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)