Recent Events in MMA

No, this isn't promoting anything, it's just a discussion of recent events happening in mixed martial arts. =)

Here's some things I've read(not everything is confirmed and some of these are rumors so beleive whatever the hell you like to lol) and I'm not naming sites:

UFC has purchased the PRIDE Fighting company.

UFC 71: Quinton "Rampage" Jackson knocked out Chuck Liddell at 1:53 in the first round. Jackson is now the UFC Light Heavyweight Champion of the world. Liddell was pissed and claimed that he was NOT knocked out.(Let's hope for another match, but Rampage is the only guy that's 2-0 against Liddell.)

UFC 71: Karo Pariysan defeated Josh Burkman via unanimous decision.

Also: UFC 71: Houston Alexander knocked out Keith Jardine at 48 secs of the first round.

The UFC weigh inns will now be shown on sports center along with some other sports channels.

UFC PPV's have outsold both HBO's boxing and WWE's events.

As you've probably noticed, all of the things I said were about UFC and PRIDE. I'm a fan of UFC and PRIDE and don't know much about other mma leagues, but since mma is widespread any mma stuff is welcomed.

It was rumored that the winner of the Jackson-Liddell fight would go on to fight PRIDE'S middle weight and light heavyweight champion Dan Henderson.

That's all I can think of right now since I'm shit tired. Post anything you'd like to discuss about in MMA. =D

EDIT: Also, I was wondering how many Smogoners are fans and if you have any fighters you'd always put your money on and that kinda shit.

I couldn't believe that liddell jackson fight. I was so mad. You blink and it was over. Just one good shot and liddell was down jackson got on him hit him a few more times and at first you saw liddell trying to get alway then his arms just fell to the ground jackson hit him a few more times and the ref broke it up. Liddell just got beat he was knocked out. I'm sure there will be a rematch. Or lets at least hope there was. The fights weren't as good as past events but at least i didn't have to pay for the PPV.

yea, The Iceman got his ass kicked and he is too much of a prick to admit it. i was disappointed that the fight was so freaking short but i also love to watch Liddell lose so it wasn't all bad. definitely a HOLY SHIT moment when the lights went out.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
funny hearing that overall this wasnt as good as past events because most of the fights were good this time and I believe this easily was better than at least the last 2 PPVs. The only fight that wasnt is the main event.

That crowd was honestly absolute shit, I'd side note. The fights were great, but they booed every single one of them. Damn I'm glad the UFC finally goes overseas, where people tend to be more respectful.

Everybody I wanted to win won, which had me absolutely thrilled.

I hate chris lebens like nobody else does.

and PRIDE and the UFC being owned by the same group will mean intense interbrand matches so mma's near future looks bright.

Lol Vineon I knew you'd post here. =D You probably don't remember me since I can't get on NB anymore, but we had that Brock Lesnar going to K1 talk a while ago lol.

The crowd was shittier than any crowd I've seen in UFC before, even though the fights were great...and you DO NOT hate Chris Leben more than I do, k?

As for the main event, I want to think it was a lucky hit that put Liddell on the ground, but then again I gotta admit Rampage kicks some serious ass. I was telling all of my friends that Rampage was gonna go through Chuck simply because all of the fights Chuck won were against poor strikers other than Couture really. (and Jeremy Horn to some extent.)

The fight I'd pay the most to see would be: Fedor Emelienko VS Randy Couture omg lol and this is possible in the future.

I know this happened a while ago, but I still can't accept Crocop losing to Gonzaga like that lol. =( IMO, fluke

EDIT: I'm kind of glad Liddell lost lol. Change is good and he's been champ a while anyway. The loss is gonna motivate him to try to get that rematch badly and you know he's pissed as hell about losing like that lol.

Also, I found out that Nick Diaz showed positive on a high level of THC on a drug test after his fight with some dude who's name I forgot :( and the Nevada Board on mma or w/e are taking his last win off of his record because appereantly he was so high, he didn't feel the hits lol. He won by unanimous decision.

So kids, get high as much as you can the next time Timmy fucks with you and steals your ice cream.

i dont know about your Couture v. Emelienko fight...i have a feeling Randy wouldn't walk away from that fight alive. he is a great fighter but Fedor is just inhumanly strong and aggressive, i think Couture would have a better chance if he got in a fight with a grizzly bear. i do, however, agree that Liddell never really fought great strikers except for Randy, who he seemed to poke in the eyes a lot. now that i think about it, Liddell seems to poke everyone in the eyes....

I think you're underestimating Couture a little, Vespa. Yeah, he's beaten in strength and size but you know Couture wouldn't stand up with Fedor anyway. He's got great wrestling skills and the match would have to happen soon since Couture is retiring next year. IMO it would be a closer match then you'd expect.

Anyway, it's been confirmed that Dan Henderson will fight Rampage for the Light Heavyweight title belt in the upcoming months(don't know exactly when) so I'm really looking forward to that match.

This is kinda dumb to post, but Rampage got 450 grand for beating Chuck, and he's not happy until he gets a Bentley lol.

I love that Zuffa bought PRIDE though, it's so much better organized and shown as a sport than let's say Bodog or some of the other big name wanabees.

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
Lebens is a douchebag, but who I really want to see go down is Tim Sylvia. He deserves to get rocked by Cro-cop or Fedor...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)