Recommend PC games.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Okay, I'll be making myself a gaming computer at some point in the next two and a half months. Which means I'll be able to run modern or even older games for the first time in like...ever. So I've been making a list of games to get and play and have slowly been getting them as they've gone on sale. Here's the list I made so far:

Unreal Tournament 3 (I love Unreal Tournament in all forms; I already have the original and 2004 and I think I have Unreal II disks somewhere)
Orange Box (got it on sale for $30 woo)
Half-Life 1 Anthology
Half-Life 2: Deathmatch (should come free as a download w/ an Nvidia card which I plan on getting anyway)
Counter Strike: Source (is the old Counter-Strike worth it if I get this, unless I find it for like $5?)
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Microsoft Flight Simulator X (not really a game to be honest, but I like flying and this has to be Microsoft's best product ever))
Falcon 4.0: Allied Force (same, minus the Microsoft)
Spore (when it comes out)

Anything I should add to this list?

edit: I think BioShock's "anti-piracy" scheme is fucking retarded and, while it seems like it's a decent single player game, I refuse to buy it for that reason.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The old Counter-Strike is only $10, I don't think you really need to bother with it if you have Source.

I highly recommend Bioshock ($29.99) and I personally love Audiosurf ($9.99). Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is a great game as well if you can find it on the cheap ($49.99 on Steam).

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I have to admit that after hearing the ZeroPunctuation review, Crysis doesn't really appeal to me.

Sonuis

Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated!
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Everyone likes to talk about that Audiosurf game. I can't play it though because I use a laptop. There's no point in playing hardcore super games on a Laptop. You're a dumbass if you really believe that.

Crysis is just virtually impossible to play to its maximum graphical potential, if that's your thing.
Even if you have CS Source get CS 1.6 anyway. Source is garbage compared to 1.6, unless you consider aesthetics to be more important than gameplay.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Everyone likes to talk about that Audiosurf game. I can't play it though because I use a laptop. There's no point in playing hardcore super games on a Laptop. You're a dumbass if you really believe that.
I play some hardcore super games on my laptop =( Orange Box. I only have a laptop, no desktop. Audiosurf should work fine, I'm not sure why it doesn't on yours though. Works on my laptop and my friends' laptops. Is it an error? The graphics requirements for it are fairly low...

Can you possibly elaborate a bit on how the gameplay is different?
It's a retarded debate similar to the Brawl vs Melee one.

I've always enjoyed Warcraft III - partly because of the game itself, but moreso because of the huge number of spinoff maps that've been created thanks to the powerful map editor. The variety of quality custom games that's been made is pretty stunning.

Starcraft is good for similar reasons, but it doesn't have nearly the map-making community that Warcraft does.

If you love strategy games, you can't go wrong with Civilization 4 and Europa Universalis 3. Civ4, IIRC, comes in a bundle with its two expansions, and EU3 is getting its 2nd expansion(In Nomine) in June. Your best bet for the latter is Gamer's Gate, which would probably swiftly offer a bundle-pack. Paradox's copy protection is simple: if your game isn't registered, you can't get patches(and they patch like rabbits!)

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I was more scared of Bioshock's "minimum requirement" of 1024MB RAM since I didn't bother to get more than that and typically PC games run like shit on mere "minimum" specs. :( Shame, because I'd really like to play it.

Turning away from Crysis because a satire review website tore it up is just silly. I have absolutely no opinion about the game myself or really know a damn thing about it, but it's probably a decent game to be so widely praised. Don't let a fake review of all things turn you away from it.

Good stuff picking up Orange Box. It's an incredible value for all the stuff you get when Episode 2 or TF2 are basically worth its purchase alone. Get some older games if you don't have that yet too, namely anything made by Blizzard (Diablo 2 battle chest and "x-craft y" chests). Can't say I'm much for PC gaming, but I just wanted to tell you to get Diablo 2. And flight simulators are kinda cool really.

The only real PC game I have ever played, and still do sometimes, is Rise of Nations. I have only really played multi-player, so I don't know how good it is for playing solo.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I've never played 1.6, mainly since I've never seen any need to having Source. Whether one is better is an argument I'm not going into. That being said anything by Valve is wicked (and I see you're already planning on picking up most of that).

If you're a fan of either Star Wars or RPGs in general then either of the KotOR games are good choices, although I've had some Vista compatability issues with KotOR2 :(

Seconding Sunday's recommendation of the Knights of the Old Republic games.

Deus Ex 1 and 2, moreso 1, are very good games. Well worth playing if you haven't played the console versions.

Baldurs Gate (Shadows of Amn) and Neverwinter Nights if you like very long RPGs.

Diablo 2 and it's expansion, despite being old are highly addictive and super awesome.
Overlord is again a pretty underrated but fun game to play!
If you're into Star Wars, be sure to give the Jedi Knight series a chance.
TeG IV: Oblivion as you said is amazing. Make sure you get the expansion as well as the Knights of the Nine add on!
Assassin's Creed is AMAZING but I believe it's still a bit glitchy.
Fable - The Lost Chapters is a fun to play RPG.

Last but not the least, get Warcraft III and play DotA with me on Garena!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: Try out all the Prince of Persia trilogy!

Agreeing with Kumar Diablo is indeed highly addictive. Other computer games I've played include Rome and Medieval 2 both from the Total War series. Titan Quest which is rather similar to Diablo. I also enjoyed playing CivCity.

If you're a fan of RTS games then you should should at least check out Age of Empires 3. It is set around the time of the colonization of America. There is the main game and also two expansions. Around here you can get the main game and first expansion pretty cheaply in a pack together.

Rome and Medieval 2: Total War are awesome games (well Rome is, my PC can't run M2 due to lack of pixel shaders :()

If you want to go waaaaaaaay back for a very good fantasy/strategy game, check of Age of Wonders

EDIT: For your RTS fix, get yourself C&C 3 NOW. Better then AOE3 imo mostly due to the faster pace and just plain better gameplay

Surgo

goes to eleven
A few comments on what's been said so far:
MrE said:
Turning away from Crysis because a satire review website tore it up is just silly. I have absolutely no opinion about the game myself or really know a damn thing about it, but it's probably a decent game to be so widely praised. Don't let a fake review of all things turn you away from it.
It wasn't because it was a bad review, it's because the review showed me what I would get: "Meh, more of the same" compared to other games on the list. So it's not a priority. I wouldn't call them fake reviews, anyway.

I'm not a huge fan of strategy games or RTS games at least outside of Blizzard's Starcraft.

I have actually played Baldur's Gate II before. Not really my thing, I found the controls too clunky and annoying to be honest :/

I have to say that while crysis is a fantastic idea well executed I probably wouldn't recommend it because I fairly often find the island is a repetitive and somewehat dull setting for an FPS...especiaslly since you already have misgivings about it. The weapons, upgrades, suit and AI are decent though

Bioshock on the other hand was the best PC game I've probably ever played and I think it's dumb not to get due to an unrelated reason :/ Orange box is spectacular, too, good job you're getting it. Never played COD 4 but I've heard thats great.

edit: Tangerine, I just downloaded cave story and it is great ^_^ I recommend everyone else too aswell

Can you possibly elaborate a bit on how the gameplay is different?
Basically I prefer 1.6 because I find it more challenging to learn than Source. The guns in Source have less recoil, the hitboxes are larger, and you get ammo for free. Flashbangs and smoke grenades are much different, and so are the sniper rifles. There are a lot of other small things that can't really be comprehended until played.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)