Pet Mod Regional Evolutions (Concluded for Generation 8)

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
I'm not good at competitive analysis but I hope Excaliberd is good
Pros:
  • One of the best defensive typings in the game backed up by 80/120 physical bulk
  • Access to Sheer Force, which can turn a Pokémon with base 85 Sp. Atk into a devastating special wallbreaker, so imagine what it can do for something with base 140 Attack
  • Still strong even after Life Orb gets removed thanks to high natural Attack
  • Access to King’s Shield
  • Good offensive typing plus strong Fighting coverage can make switch-ins difficult
Cons:
  • Only physical Fairy STAB is the relatively weak Spirit Break
  • Out of its coverage moves that get boosted by Sheer Force, exactly one (1) is worth even considering and it’s Rock Slide
  • Literally cannot inflict a secondary effect ever, meaning it can’t take advantage of Spirit Break’s defensive utility to patch up its terrible special bulk
  • Fighting coverage isn’t boosted by Sheer Force (unless you’re running Rock Smash, which you aren’t), leading to potential longevity problems
Checks/counters:
  • Quagsire (this is basically Boneless Zacian, after all)
  • Golmech (Fighting immunity provided by Nanomachines means Excaliberd has literally zero viable options against it)
  • Aegislash (how ironic)
  • Opposing Excaliberd (even more ironic)
  • Basically any other Steel-type that can tank physical Fighting moves
  • Fire-types (resist both STABs and hit back supereffectively, though they have to be wary of Rock Slide)
  • Bushedo (hard walls non-Toxic sets unless you’re running Facade for some reason)
  • Landorus-Therian (fuck this Pokémon)
Overall Rating: Probably good. It’s hard for anything Steel/Fairy to be bad—Mawile had to work really hard at it.

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
Mr. Crime and Twiscobra, I'm curious about them
Pros:
  • Fast and hits hard with Knock Off
  • Two immunities, allowing for some switch-in opportunities despite its relative frailty
  • Prankster Parting Shot makes it a nigh-unstoppable pivot except against Dark-types
  • Unique access to Dastardly Deed prevents opposing setup, hazards, and recovery
  • Presence on the field effectively serves as a permanent Taunt, as nearly any opposing status move has a high chance of being stolen
  • Prankster Thunder Wave, Toxic and Hypnosis are good for spreading status on more support-oriented builds
  • Prankster Copycat can turn Mr. Crime into a potent revenge killer
  • Elemental punches and Drain Punch provide decent coverage
  • EXTREMELY SILLY NICHE NONSENSE: Thanks to its low Sp. Atk and access to Prankster Power Split, it can neuter opposing special attackers by cutting their Sp. Atk significantly
Cons:
  • Bulk is meh physically and terrible specially
  • No physical Fairy STAB; must rely on coverage (or Copycat) to deal damage to Dark resists
  • Coverage moves are underpowered
  • Speed tier, though good, is quite crowded
  • 4MSS: Knock Off + Parting Shot + Dastardly Deed only leaves room for one other move, and any other moveset gives up one of Mr. Crime’s best tools
Checks/counters:
  • Dark-types, which tank its STAB and are immune to Prankster; however, they have to watch out for Drain Punch
  • Mega Diancie, which Speed-ties, bounces back status moves, KOs with Moonblast, isn’t weak to anything Mr. Crime can run, and is bulky enough to switch in
  • Scarf Tapu Lele, which blocks Prankster-boosted moves with Psychic Terrain and OHKOs with Moonblast, though it has trouble switching in
  • Ranseian Grapploct, which does massive damage with Shield Bash and doesn’t care about the Attack drop from Parting Shot
  • Doom Desire support from opposing Temporowl
  • Magearna (fuck this Pokémon)
Overall Rating: Excellent while still being balanced. Dastardly Deed is one of the best single moves in the game and gives Mr. Crime a solid role no other Pokémon can occupy.

Pros:
  • Delta Stream sets beat opposing weather teams effortlessly and have literally no weaknesses
  • Good physical bulk, Roost, and (I cannot stress this enough) no weaknesses make Twiscobra a universally good physically defensive pivot or wall
  • Air Cannon is excellent coverage all on its own (incidentally, it needs a secondary effect to be a proper Freeze-Dry clone) and synergizes well with Aura Sphere or Body Press
  • Can check a LOT of things that normally beat Flying-types
  • Coil boosts Defense and Accuracy, allowing for more accurate Hurricanes if you choose to run that over Air Cannon
  • Hard to KO while also not being passive
Cons:
  • Stealth Rock weakness, which ignores Delta Stream, still mandates Heavy-Duty Boots
  • Inability to boost Sp. Atk through moves or items (unless you’re willing to risk Rocks damage) leaves Twiscobra in a somewhat awkward position offensively
  • Sp. Def is lackluster, leaving Twiscobra vulnerable to strong special hits even without weaknesses
  • Mega Launcher, though it’s a strong Ability, should not be run on Twiscobra due to how stupidly good Delta Stream is
  • Lack of Toxic makes it hard to chip down defensive opponents
Checks/counters:
  • Strong special attackers, which can wear Twiscobra down even with Roost, though few can KO it outright
  • Zapdos, which can switch into anything Twiscobra can do and wear it down with Discharge and Pressure + Roost
  • Chansey and Blissey, unless you’re running Body Press
  • Magearna (fuck this Pokémon)
Overall Rating: Almost certainly good by merit of being something with no weaknesses, reliable recovery, and actual bulk on one end of the spectrum.

How's Hp'lamaroth? It's my only other contribution to this mod, after all. *sigh* I wish I could have found a better re-entry point...

My own offerings for competitive analysis (one choice per region among the subs of mine that made it in) are Stupendra, Alicheron, Mr. Clean Sterilenzyme, Archeozolt, JInronga, Stargoneion, Dratomic (Skarocious is my favorite of all my accepted subs for obvious reasons, but someone already did a competitive analysis of the big lug), and Helioptere. If y'all don't have the time to do all of them, just pick like three or four of your choice and run with those, I don't mind!

Thanks so much for having me and all the other contestants! Looking forward to the return of this mod for Gen 9 in a few months' time!

i'd like if someone could take a look at my two submissions that got in, Bowser Underhurtle (and possibly hisuian drednaw as well, as i feel its worth taking a look at) and frosty the snowman Snowstacle! :drednaw: :gengar:

Technically this isn't my submission but I would like an analysis for Shangrilush (special huge power with 75 spa is nothing to scoff at)
Off the bat, it’s gonna have 448 SpA at full EVs. This mod is crawling with a lot of powerful bugs and it doesn’t have much coverage, so a great counter would probably be…Vantapede?

I too would also like a competitive look at my Hisuian starters (Brachiofreeze, Lunamorph, and Marshomodo).

Also Comickull bc it is still the greatest idea to have ever entered my brain

Stupendra
  • 115/115/95 offenses, pretty good
  • Resists Fighting, Ground, Water, Electric and quad resists Grass
  • Good coverage (Thunder Fang, Throat Chop, Power Whip, Earthquake)
  • Powerful STAB, especially with Deafening Roar at 140 BP
  • No way of boosting Speed or Special Attack reliably
  • Stealth Rocks
Alicheron
  • Great physical side with 120/105
  • Excellent synergy with Head Smash + Gold Rush / Jousting Horn
  • Close Combat, always a good move
  • Body Press works well with its 105 Defense, can be boosted with Iron Defense
  • Priority with Bullet Punch
  • Lackluster Physical Fairy STAB
  • Lackluster Special side
  • Outsped by threats like Excaliburn, Crowceror, Commanto
Stargoneion
  • Excellent Special side, decent bulk
  • Excellent Special Rock moves
  • Good special coverage (Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Draining Kiss)
  • Intimidate adds to Physical Bulk
  • Will o Wisp support
  • Two immunities
  • Lot of weaknesses (Ground, Steel, Grass, Water, Dark)

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
  • 115/115/95 offenses, pretty good
  • Resists Fighting, Ground, Water, Electric and quad resists Grass
  • Good coverage (Thunder Fang, Throat Chop, Power Whip, Earthquake)
  • Powerful STAB, especially with Deafening Roar at 140 BP
  • No way of boosting Speed or Special Attack reliably
  • Stealth Rocks
I’d also like to note that physical and physical-biased mixed Stupendra sets are usually outclassed by Behemoth.

Well, I can't ever say I got back into this mod after the early days, but I think this mod did a great job and it ran its course well. Hopefully I can return back to my glory days in Gen 9 and jump into this mod for a second time.

I'd like a competitive analysis of all 4 of my subs, please [Winterpard, Zorrarctic, Arctoyena, Arctigoat].

• Excellent speed tier
  • Good abilities
  • Decent 105/95/75 bulk
  • Alluring Purr is a good move
  • Good utility moves in Sleep Powder, Stun Spore, Toxic Spikes and Purify
  • Outclassed by Hazratt, which has more utility options
  • Not enough STAB to work with, possible 4MSS
Chimelody
  • Excellent Special Offense and Defense
  • Decent Defense
  • Pivot with Volt Switch
  • Utility with Thunder Wave, Will-o-Wisp, Eerie Impulse
  • Not deep enough movepool
  • Not fast enough to abuse Electro Ball
Zorrarctic
  • Excellent Attack and Speed
  • Deadly Accuracy is a double edged sword, ensures Physical attacks always hits (with unreliable moves like Icicle Crash, Icicle Spear, Gunk Shot) but ensures some moves will always hit
  • Paper thin defenses
  • Quadweakness to Fighting types, meaning its vulnerable to moves like Mach Punch
Clovesidian
  • Great physical side
  • Great ability in Solid Rock, weakens damage from Fighting and Steel
  • Lot of neutral types
  • Good physical coverage in Thunder Punch, Cross Poison, Earthquake, etc.
  • Special Defense boost from Sand
  • Lackluster speed

Does this thing still get Dragon Dance? Because this could be a weird set up sweeper

Witchiphox
  • Potion Master is a fun ability, can unintentionally spread status with strong stab
  • Good physical bulk, special attack and speed
  • Very little coverage (Water / Rock / Ground counters only get Grass Knot and Solar Beam)
  • Lackluster Dark STAB
Windeleon
  • Gale Wings is a good ability
  • Excellent Special side
  • Priority Hurricane / Air Slash
  • Can abuse Rain for accurate +1 Hurricane and various Water Type attacks
  • Mud Shot is its only counter against Electric types
  • No way of boosting Special side
  • Slower than original counterpart

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
  • Not fast enough to abuse Electro Ball
Nothing is “fast enough to abuse Electro Ball”. The fastest Pokémon in existence is an Electric-type with an Ability that boosts Electric moves and it still doesn’t use Electro Ball. Consistently being 3-4 times faster than your opponent is really hard, so Thunderbolt and Thunder outdamage Electro Ball most of the time. Gyro Ball doesn’t have the same problem because it’s much easier for its users to deliberately be really slow.

Nothing is “fast enough to abuse Electro Ball”. The fastest Pokémon in existence is an Electric-type with an Ability that boosts Electric moves and it still doesn’t use Electro Ball. Consistently being 3-4 times faster than your opponent is really hard, so Thunderbolt and Thunder outdamage Electro Ball most of the time. Gyro Ball doesn’t have the same problem because it’s much easier for its users to deliberately be really slow.
honest to god i couldn't think of anything else to put so i just added that

Brachiofreeze
  • Ice Scales + 100 SpD
  • Decent Defenses, Good Special Attack
  • Longevity with Giga Drain, screens, Leech Seed, Synthesis
  • Tundra Blast can weaken specially defensive walls
  • 4x weakness to Fire, lots of other weaknesses to more common types (Flying and Steel)
  • Not enough diverse enough movepool
Lunamorph
  • Good anti-Toxic pivot
  • Great HP and Special Defense, decent speed tier
  • Good Poison coverage in Psychic type moves, also gets moves like Shadow Ball, Scorching Sands, Mud Shot
  • Longevity with Cleansing Flame
  • No way of boosting special attack
  • Lacking Special moveset
Marshomodo
  • Excellent mixed offenses, good defenses
  • Great ability in Merciless, can take advantage of set up with Toxic Spikes
  • Good STAB in Water and Poison moves, gets some good coverage in Superpower, Darkest Lariat, Ice Punch
  • No reliable way to set up Special Attack
  • Lackluster Speed
Probably my favorite of the three you made, but that's because I like Mudkip.

Comickull
  • Great 145/130/150 defenses
  • Great utility in Haze, Pain Split, Power Shift (gimmick)
  • Terrible abilities, but Defeatist is recommended for a gimmicky Skill Swap set
  • Honestly this is a very gimmicky Pokemon, I dunno how to approach this
Shangrilush
  • 75 x 2 = 150 SpA. Beware!
  • Great defenses
  • Zen Trees allows for spread of Leech Seed without need of it on moveset
  • Great boosting moves with Growth, Cosmic Power, Amnesia, Stockpile
  • Lackluster coverage
  • Double weakness to bug, lots of other weaknesses with Ice and Dark

• 75 x 2 = 150 SpA. Beware!
  • Great defenses
  • Zen Trees allows for spread of Leech Seed without need of it on moveset
  • Great boosting moves with Growth, Cosmic Power, Amnesia, Stockpile
  • Lackluster coverage
  • Double weakness to bug, lots of other weaknesses with Ice and Dark
Honestly with Growth I think Shangrilush could be in sun teams in a similar way to Venusaur, since it also gets Solar Beam which is pretty funny.

Might as well put my own winning submissions in the queue for some competitive analysis:
Vitagoat, Inovarewl, Nekolepsy, Nyavidus, Commanto, Wyldeward, Scravaliant, and Fleurmière

Personally, I see Nyavidus, Commanto, and Fleurmière being the biggest threats of those mons, but I’m curious to see what others think

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)