Renaming of the Tier Borderlines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand this change. If you really wanted to avoid newer players being confused, you could simply extend BL to Borderline/Banlist. I also agree with Triangles on BL staying for GSC, RSE and DPP as per his reasoning.

All in all, this was an interesting change. I suppose it couldn't hurt being a bit more specific.

SU (the thing below ZU) theoretically exists already just p dead because it's only on a discord server
oh ı forgot SU but what ı meant was in next gens we will more likely have tons of new mons and more tiers so wouldn t it become confusing for newer players so for example why not renaming ou uu to 1u or 2u so we can name below zu 7u 8u etc(ı know it maybe sounds harsh for tier leaders but that was just a suggestion for newer gens)

Personally I find these new names somewhat confusing... When I see UUBL it seems to me that they should be usable in UU (at first glance, obviously makes sense after just the smallest amount of thought). I feel OUBL fits about as well (as BL is UU's banlist and pokemon that aren't OU by usage but still "OU") and is less confusing to newer players. Although both feel like suboptimal solutions and I've personally never had an issue with simply numbering them.
I agree up until the point about the numbers list. The new naming is confusing. I do not like the new name, I believe the other made more sense when you looked at it.

I don't understand this change. If you really wanted to avoid newer players being confused, you could simply extend BL to Borderline/Banlist. I also agree with Triangles on BL staying for GSC, RSE and DPP as per his reasoning.

All in all, this was an interesting change. I suppose it couldn't hurt being a bit more specific.
Actually, I agree with your suggestion about extending it to Banlist. That would make a heck of a lot more sense.

With this renaming you may as well have BL stand for BanList, makes it a whole lot less complicated
BL does stand for banlist. These names are so much better than the old ones, since they describe what each of the lists is. UUBL is UU's BL. RUBL is RU's BL. NUBL is NU's BL. It's much more intuitive and memorable.

EDIT: The name scheme extends naturally to the banlists of other tiers. You already know what 350BL and AAABL mean.

Last edited:
Despite the mixed feedback, I love the new names. Actually makes more sense rather than having a numbered "BL". I like this change, and if anything it makes MORE sense to newer players, despite what others are saying. I'm not sure how new players could find "UUBL" to be confusing if "UU" stands for UnderUsed, "UUBL" is pretty explanatory. I will say it looks a bit strange , but that's probably because I'm so used to the others. I think with a little time it will be a lot more new player friendly and look more uniform to the old cats. Good job guys!

I definitely like the change. And I think new users will too. With numbered BL's you have to constantly count back. For example, if they hear BL3 they will have to count back like UU-BL, RU-BL2, NU-BL3 and then know that BL3 is the banlist of NU. But with NUBL they just know it immediately. Much easier.

Now lets rename the other tiers. All those random letters (O, U, R, N, P, Z, S) make no sense and have to be remembered individually. Lets rename them to Un where n is a number. e.g. U2 for Usage tier 2, denoting the second usage based tier that is currently called UU.

Ofcourse if you implement my request then the banlists will need their old names back, e.g. BL3 for the BanList of the 3rd tier.

Also lets make Ubers U1 and Mega Rayquaza will be in BL1. Because right now he is in a banlist of a banlist which makes no sense. In that case U2 would be what is now OU and what is now UU would be U3.

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
Also lets make Ubers U1 and Mega Rayquaza will be in BL1. Because right now he is in a banlist of a banlist which makes no sense. In that case U2 would be what is now OU and what is now UU would be U3.
Ubers is not a usage based tier, so naming it as such seems like a poor choice. "AG" is indeed a banlist of a banlist, but there's not much else that can be done about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)