RMT for the Nintendo 2X2 Tournament

This is the "first draft" for the team I'm going to use at the Nintendo Double Battle Tournament. Only 4 out of these 6 Pokemon get to go to each battle.
Things in bold have been changed.
Note: There IS item clause.

Team at Glance​

Team in Depth​

Weavile @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
- Protect
- Night Slash
- Ice Shard
- Fake Out​

Weavile can use Fake Out to help Gyarados Set up, and it can protect to deal with explosion. Night Slash and Ice Shard are great STAB, It can also deal with trick roomers, by Faking them out and then taunting them with Gyarados.​

Gyarados @ Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Taunt
- Ice Fang​

Gyarados will set up Dragon Dance and sweep. If an electric-type shows up, Lightningrod Rhyperior switches in. Waterfall is for generic STAB, and Ice Fang is to cover Dragon Types. Taunt is to stop trick-room and rain dance.​

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
Ability: Sand Veil
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Protect

Garchomp is meant to set up Swords Dance and sweep. I chose Dragon Claw over Outrage because of Outrage's unpredictability in Double Battles. Earthquake is generic STAB. Protect is for explosions.​

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Tecnichian
EVs: 248 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 8 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- X-Scissor
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Sunny Day

I chose X-Scissor over U-Turn because switches aren't that necessary in double battles. Bullet Punch is a great STAB - 1st Turn move. Sunny Day crushes Rain Teams, and gives Rhyperior's Fire Punch a boost.​

Gengar @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 40 Atk/ 216 Spa/ 252 Spe
Nature: Hasty
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Focus Blast
- Explosion

Shadow Ball and Focus Blast provide perfect coverage. Explosion can be used with Weavile and Garchomp, since they have protect. Trick can lock the foe in a specific move, and Gengar is also good to switch in on EQ or enemy explosions.​

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 80 HP/ 244 Atk/ 184 Def
Nature: Adamant
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch​

Rhyperior purpouse is to set up Swords Dance while fending off electric attacks from Gyarados with Lightningrod. Earthquake and Stone Edge are generic STAB, while Fire Punch is for Ice types, Bronzong and etc...​

Just a warning, but although this team is very well planned out, it will get raped by the ever-so-present Trick Room team. In my opinion, because of Trick Room existing, it will be abused in this tournament to the point where no other strategy will be able to succeed. So, unless Rhyperior is capable of outspeeding and OHKO-ing the common Bronzong Trick Room setup with Fire Punch, you are pretty much done for.

Rhyperior can't OHKO it, however, both Rhyperior and Gyarados outspeed it (Because of it's low speed IV and/or Macho Brace). Fire Punch + Waterfall together can probably deal with Bronzong (Correct me if I'm wrong!).

You are correct in the fact that you can get rid of that Bronzong, but how about others? In one of my possible teams I am using, I have a double Trick Room lead, with Bronzong and Claydol. With their high Defenses, at least one is guaranteed to survive and set up Trick Room. After one of them is down, I send in one of my slow sweepers in the form of Rhyperior or Metagross to clean up. So far, through simulation on Netbattle, my strategy has been quite unexpected and has brought me thorough luck.

Might I also suggest Protect on some more Pokemon? From my experience, Explosion users are going to be very common within this tournament.

You've got a point... I think I'll put Weavile instead of Rhyperior as lead, and take away Gyarados's Stone Edge and replace it with Taunt. I'll Fake Out one of the leads and Taunt the other. In the next turn, I'll either kill the "untaunted" lead or taunt it. As for electric Pokemon, I'll just switch in with Rhyperior when they come in. As for Explosion, I'll switch in Gengar and/or Ice Shard/Bulled Punch the possible user.

sorry but im new and a newb to this, but if the whole problem is trick room teams.... why not just spare that gengar that you are not sure about that cant use life orb or explosion...and simply switch it with someone to take care of the bulky trick room users? =/

sorry but im new and a newb to this, but if the whole problem is trick room teams.... why not just spare that gengar that you are not sure about that cant use life orb or explosion...and simply switch it with someone to take care of the bulky trick room users? =/
That could also be a good solution, but I've solved the situation with Gengar (Except the hold items).
I've also made some other changes to the team to prevent explosions and some other things. I've never gone to one of these tournaments, so I don't know what to expect.

Hold on there. You have Chomp and Scizor running Protect, when you're only exploding with a Gengar. Scizor can survive a Gengar's explosion IIRC plus Choice Band and Protect is a no-brainer. I recommend either ditching Protect on both and replacing Explosion on Gengar with something else, or swapping Gengar for a stronger exploder. (Metagross is one that comes to mind)

You're right. I'll ditch Protect on Scizor, but Chomp keeps it since there will be enemy explosions. Gengar is good for switching in on EQ on Fighthing Moves, and I think I'll keep him. Any ideas what to use as Scizor's fourth move? I'm trying to refrain from extremely hard to get moves, since I can't Pokesav those Pokemon (After all, they do legality checks).

Not bad for a first draft, but I think there are a couple of wide holes in it: namely rain teams. A Kingdra with rain is going to completely destroy almost all of your team with surf or dragon pulse for example. And if Kingdra's backed up by something like choice scarf Lapras (I have a friend running one of these in the tourney lol) then you'll be in for some serious damage. Rhyperior in particular will go down like a lead balloon to rain teams, which I'm surprised nobody seems to be thinking about. Latios will also be common too, and while Weavile may sort of deal with it, again it'll cause a lot of damage. Garchomp being adamant is kind of bad too: there are a lot of ice-types which outspeed you with adamant but don't with jolly. I personally think it'd be better if you ran jolly on Garchomp.

So... that's my views on it. And while I guess rain is like trick room in that you can taunt it, there's always the off-chance that someone uses the likes of a rain dance protecting Electrode that protects first thing then rain dances second turn. Oh and I've posted my team for this tourney on the next page, if you're interested. Nobody's replied (LOL).

Wow, I didn't even notice I hadn't put Jolly Garchomp. I'll change that ASAP. I'll also shift Gya to Jolly. I'll always DD on the first turn, and with Jolly and DD, Gya outspeeds Electrode, and OHKOs it with STABed, Dragon Danced Waterfall. Another thing... Does Fake Out outspeed protect?

Ummm, the Item Clause is really limiting with your gengar, isnt it? What about Wise Lens(or however the item is called that boosts you SP attack by 10% ?) Its a poor solution, but it was either that or Choice Specs(or maybe Black Sludge, but Gengar is too frail to make a good use of it)

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Protect stops Fake Out.

I'd probably test out Lum Berry on Gyarados, and switch to a Life Orb Scizor with Swords Dance in the fourth slot. This will almost always allow Gyarados that first Dragon Dance, or in some cases a second, or a Taunt on something faster with status. If you're against that, however, I'd go for Night Slash or Purusit in Scizor's last slot, but without Rotom there it's of less use (though there are things like Dusknoir). I don't like Choice users in general for 4vs4 Doubles though.

Wide Lens, Wise Glasses, Chesto Berry, Stritus Berry, Lum Berry (if you don't put it on Gyarados) are some worthwhile options for Gengar, but as said, most of the good items for Gengar are taken up by your other Pokémon. Also, just use max Speed on Gengar.

I'd like to see Rhyperior with bulk, I can't really see max Speed being of much use when you're faster than Snorlax, Bronzong, Dusknoir etc without any Speed EVs anyway.

Changed Gyarados to Lum Berry and Scizor to life orb. Removed protect from Garchomp, and added Brick Break. Removed Brick Break from Scizor, and added Sunny Day and Swords Dance.

Just thought of something for Gengar. Assuming you meant to have him still use Explosion:
Gengar @ Choice Specs
216 Sp. Atk, 252 Spd, 40 atk
-Trick
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
-Explosion

It makes Gengar pack more of a punch, and you can Trick away the Specs onto an annoying wall or something. Shadow Ball + Focus Blast provide perfect coverage.

I don't want you to come and realize this, so I might as well warn you now. You can only use 4 pokemon per battle. My original team was made without knowing this but now I have a better one. Also if you want to see my team, I believe its in my sig.

Thanks for the suggestion, but Steelrage solved my Gengar Issues.
For Latios, Dragon Danced Gyarados OHKOs with Ice Fang.

I'm thinking I need more protect users... Are explosions really that common in those tournaments?

Well, yes, but really, Exploding teams aren't that effective. They must OHKO 2 pokes or really, they fail. 2 Exploders and 2 Protectors one with 3 attacking moves, the other 1 set-up, then 2 atks isn't that good if you think about it. Besides, Chomp has Protect, Scizor resists Explosion and has pretty good defence, and Gengar is immune. So, I'd say you are fine.

In the VGS you don't get to see your opponets team before you choose which 4 pokemon yo will be battling with, so it is generally best to have only 4 pokemon which comprise your main team, not to have 6 random pokemon that you will pick a different 4 out of each round

I'm taking 6 Pokemon for the extra items. You're allowed to switch items between battles. If I see one item isn't working well, I'll switch it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)