RMT: Numero Uno

*note: i havent played with this team online so this didn't peak first, just my first rmt and also just one in theory that I'd like to rng in my black game. i also cant play on smogon servers because my av doesn't like the ip address, unfortunately. c'est la vie.

Ok basically, i enjoy fairly 'defensive' teams. to make an analogy of the playstyle i enjoy, it would be in counter attacking football (soccer) where a team focuses on excelling at defending and then counters when the opposition has a weakness with a sweet move. so i thought that a bulky offense team might suit my style. as i say, i'm rnging the team in pokemon black, so im quite restricted in what i can do but i'll try do it anyway. i could, theoretically, rng in diamond/ss but i think thatd take ages to learn. i love volturn too. basically, i love mind games. i also really like reliability and if it was viable i'm sure i'd have every pokemon on my team have recover/roost.

so to sum up, i want a team that is reliable (hence the bulky, well rounded offense) and can play mind games

unfortunately i cant find the warstory i wrote up about a year and a half ago, if anyone knows where it is then please tell me where i can find it. but it's an example of my style. it's called 'lork vs xx: storytime!'. but i ran uturn on gliscor in that battle, for instance, along with slowbro, genosect (with u turn), sp defensive roserade with rest, banded adamant 252 atk / 252 sp def ttar and espeon. there was a switch every other turn i believe, and it lasted around 60 turns.

---

anyway, my team, and i'll be avoiding stuff which is self explanitory (like waterfull on gyrados)

first up my bulky boosters:

Virizion@Leftovers
Timid
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Sp Atk / 252 Speed (31/x/31/30/31/31)
Ability: justified
Calm Mind
Giga Drain
Focus Blast
HP Ice

This is the only one i've rnged so far. unfortunately i rnged it before i saw that you can get hp ice with 31 in sp atk but eh, maybe the one point in defence will one day tip the game my way.

anyway, standard cm virizion. can set up on stall and special threats; in particular it deals with rain teams very well as well as acting as a check for dragons with less speed. might be better off with lum berry or life orb.

Gyarados@leftovers
Adamant
EVs: 176 HP / 128 Atk / 204 Spe
Ability: Intimidate
Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Taunt
Stone Edge

My other bulky booster, has great synergy with virizion i think. a) it boosts on the other side of the spectrum b) it resists fire (the only threatening thing with a flying attack in the tier is tornadus, which is rare enough) where virizion resists rock/electric.

bulkyddos can also set up on a different set of threats to virizion, and acts as a check to physical sweepers as well as boosters. it hates status so i can switch sub into taunt if i need to but taunt also prevents toxics and things from being thrown in my direction. can take advantage of rain with super stabbed waterfalls. also i think he does pretty well against a few members of sun teams, and not much on ss teams like earth immunity and water stab.

now i also mentioned i love volt turn, so i cant make a team without it. buzzing for genosect's release:

Rotom W@Choice scarf
Levitate
Timid
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Volt Change
HP Fire
Hydro Pump
Trick

the premier volt turner, not very original but what u gon do. dude's awesome, and like my previous two members can exploit opposition rain, as well as providing a good check to members of stall teams with trick. hp fire to take out his partner in crime scizor, ferrothorn, other grass types you know the gig.

Landorus@Choice Scarf
Sand Force
Naive
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
U Turn
Earthquake
Stone edge
HP Ice

i'm aware of the expert belt option, but i think i'd like to prefer the garuntee of outspeeding a load of mons; in particular he can check +1 dragons in a pinch, with good natural bulk. with his ability again, another pokemon that can exploit an opposition weather. Immune to the electric attacks aimed at gyarados too.

now, games are made and broken on hazards, so I feel like i should have a hazard setter. similarly i should probably have a spinner even though only one member doesn't really like them; infact most are immune. however, it does cripple gyarados fairly significantly. so, on to my last 2 members:

Skarmory@Leftovers
Impish
Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Stealth Rock
Whirlwind
Brave Bird
Roost

the physical don of all physical dons. sr over spikes to make hazards instant and have a wide an impact as possible. also provides me with a check for, i think, sd sub rock gem terrakion, and is yet another member which doesn't mind rain, or sand for that matter, at all.

(note i can have sr/bb on a gen 4 game and transfer over)

Starmie@Life Orb
Natural Cure
Timid
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Sp Atk / 252 Speed
Rapid Spin
Hydro Pump
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam

i dont mind the accuracy loss of hydro pump over surf/scald, and starmie likes the power. it's an offensive, rather than defensive, rapid spin to keep pressure on my opponent and gives me a choice for predictions. an option is to replace ice beam with hp fire (and i'll adjust my ivs accordingly) because i can see now i dont have much to take down the scizors, other steels and bulky grass types, even though they cant do much to me either and trick and taunt can do a number on a few of them. again, starmie likes rain for the hydro pump double stab. works well with my bulky boosters too, being able to sponge

---

In terms of threats, well as i say this is all theoretical but i can see bulky volcarona being really, really annoying, and sun too i can imagine being troublesome, with nothing being able to handle repeated hits. subcm jirachi too will be a pain

---

in terms of potential replacements, ferrothorn over skarmory perhaps with a a set of 2 hazards to lay down, and maybe even forretress over skarm and starmie which means that i have a 6th slot opening up, but i dont feel like forry is reliable enough. espeon also, with that same school of thought, and i was thinking of a 252 hp / 252 speed set with grass knot, hp fire, cm and baton pass to a) destroy its lures in ttar and scizor, and b) pass calm minds when it has nothing else to do

i've also considered band/sub terrakion, just for its sheer power, or rain dance kingdra (which is very tempting in a weather dominated tier) over starmie. it all depends on how important that spin is, and i feel like starmie is the least important member of my team. a specially defensive dragonite (not a booster, a parashuffler perhaps) is also on the cards.

in an ideal world i would like banded scizor over landorus although landorus does have its advantages; the speed (esp with a viable hp ice) and sand force being them primarily.

i also loved sableye when i played dw ou. and i like the idea of whimsicott because of the mind games it plays with opponents and can totally shut down dangerous set up sweepers like volcarona and sub cm jirachi.

i would probably use heatran in tandem with virizion and dos (FWG core + sr user + sun check) if it was viable for me to get but i wont be able to complete my nat dex with my attention span

---

anyway that's my team. thoughts?

apologies also for the poor formatting and grammar. i write with poor english so i can get my stream of conciousness going and i can't really edit it because i have a huge exam tomorrow and really this rmt is a means of procrastinating (although i do genuinely want to rng this team). i gave my ds to my neighbour for 2 weeks, so this is really scraping the barrel for putting off revision. fluid dynamics much?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)