Rotation Battles - Rule set

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Brief post here just to sum up Rotation battles not to be confused with Triple Battles (with shifting!).

Rotation Battles make you select four out of your six Pokemon party. They are placed in a circle that can rotate either direction. You can see all of your opponent's three Pokemon on the field.

Every turn you can rotate the circle either direction AND attack with the new Pokemon (or switch if you want, I suppose). This basically means you can attack with any of your three Pokemon you see fit each turn in relation to what you predict your opponent to do.

While this is interesting, I feel it has less complexity and strategy as Triples/Doubles, so I won't really test this one too much. It is basically Singles with "quick switch".

I think that's a typo and it's only supposed to be three. I have a feeling everyone's going to be running Fire/Water/Grass cores with things like Infernape, Starmie, and Shaymin.

Rotation battles In-Game have been a blast. It's the ultimate prediction game, and it's key to have the Pokemon cover each others weaknesses.

That said, how do Choice items work in Rotation? If I use Earthquake with my Choice Band Garchomp, is he stuck with Earthquake, even if I rotate him out?

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
There was no typo. It is select four and three active at any given time. You can swap to your one in reserve.

So the Pokemon that you choose to attack with, can you attack any of your opponent's Pokemon or does it have to attack whatever Pokemon your opponent has selected to attack with?

It also looks pretty fun ^_^

So the Pokemon that you choose to attack with, can you attack any of your opponent's Pokemon or does it have to attack whatever Pokemon your opponent has selected to attack with?
You can only attack the opponents active Pokemon (The Pokemon they choose to attack with).

I really look forward to rotation battles. If you really think about it, it's a mass prediction war. Say you have out Heatran and the enemy has out Gliscor. You rotate to Vaporeon and use Ice Beam when suddenly the enemy switches in Magnezone, absorbs the Ice Beam, and slams back with T-Bolt.

You also don't loose boosts from rotating. So you get off +4 Special from Nasty Plot. Instead of wasting it when the enemy sends Magnezone in on your Murkrow, you can rotate back to Heatran, kill of Magnezone, and sweep with Murkrow. You also have to keep in mind you could be ready to finish off Magnezone when suddenly the enemy rotates to their own Heatran. Rotation battles also give a new meaning ot "bait".

You know what this sounds like? It sounds like the TCG. You have your active card out and your bench and you can swap them during your turn or attack, etc. And doesn't the move Acrobat allow you to hit an inactive Pokemon? So, that would be like the card attacks that let you hit your opponents bench. Sounds fun.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This sounds amazing. I assume it will be activated on SB2, which will be very interesting. Thought I haven't played either, this sounds way cooler then triple battles.

This sounds amazing. I assume it will be activated on SB2, which will be very interesting. Thought I haven't played either, this sounds way cooler then triple battles.
It will be a LONG time before Shoddy battle 2 comes out. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't released even until after the 3rd Gen V game came out.

Considering not everyone is an RNG pro, and legal hacks won't be avilable for a bit after it's American release (I don't hack, but I might start soon because I don't have one good team on my DS game because IVs are impossible), it will probably be a while before it has it's own tiers/competitive rotation battles....

I'm still really looking forward to this, though.

You know what this sounds like? It sounds like the TCG. You have your active card out and your bench and you can swap them during your turn or attack, etc. And doesn't the move Acrobat allow you to hit an inactive Pokemon? So, that would be like the card attacks that let you hit your opponents bench. Sounds fun.
I don't think Acrobat allows you to hit the "benched" Pokemon but that would be cool.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)