Rotom-C(Revamp)(QC 3/3)(GP 2/2)

[Overview]

<p>The often-overlooked middle child of the Rotom family, Rotom-C is outclassed for the most part Rotom-W in the OU metagame, as the latter sports both better STAB coverage and defensive typing. Rotom-C's dual STABs are resisted by both Grass- and Dragon-type Pokemon, which are very common. While it does have a resistance to the ever-present Water-type moves, it is weak to Ice, a common coverage move for these Pokemon.</p>

<p>However, Rotom-C manages to create a niche for itself as an excellent member on VoltTurn teams, thanks to its ability to defeat most VoltTurn counters. It separates itself from Rotom-W by being able to beat Gastrodon and opposing Rotom-W easily, as well as resisting Electric-type moves. Its dual STABs, while otherwise redundant, make sure Ground-type Pokemon that would normally switch in to block Volt Switch do not dare to do so in fear of a STAB Leaf Storm. Overall, Rotom-C is a very niche Pokemon, but it performs its role well. Do not expect it to easily fit onto a team, however.</p>

[SET]
name: Support
move 1: Volt Switch / Thunderbolt
move 2: Leaf Storm
move 3: Will-O-Wisp
move 4: Pain Split
item: Leftovers
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 188 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is the only set Rotom-C can run without being outclassed, utilizing its favorable typing, high base 107 defenses, and good resistances to common moves. It sets itself apart from other Rotom formes by being able to beat certain Pokemon that VoltTurn teams&mdash;and Rotom-W in particular&mdash;face problems with. Examples include Gastrodon, which would normally easily come in to block Volt Switch, as well as opposing Rotom-W. Rotom-C also has a resistance to Grass- and Electric-type moves, which Rotom-W lacks, allowing it to be a decent check to Breloom and choiced Thundurus-T locked into an Electric-type move. While it is weak to Fire- and Ice-type moves, Rotom-C resists common Water-type attacks, such as Politoed's Hydro Pump, and can threaten it with STAB Leaf Storm or gain momentum with Volt Switch.</p>

<p>Will-O-Wisp cripples physical attackers that would normally switch into Rotom-C, such as Ferrothorn and Dragonite. Leaf Storm provides an obligatory STAB, and even without offensive investment will still do a decent amount of damage to the ever-present Water- and Ground-type Pokemon in OU. Volt Switch is a great move for Rotom-C because it helps it support offensive teams by preserving momentum. You can opt to use Thunderbolt instead, as it helps Rotom-C better take on the likes of SubDD Gyarados. Pain Split is a mandatory move on this set because Rotom-C lacks reliable recovery outside of Leftovers, and Pain Split allows it to heal off counters such as Chansey and Blissey. It also works very well with Rotom-C's low base 50 HP.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Though the EVs might seem strange at first sight, the spread is actually crucial. 252 HP EVs coupled with 68 Defense EVs ensure that Rotom-C will survive Life Orb Terrakion's Close Combat after Stealth Rock, allowing it to OHKO Terrakion with Leaf Storm. They also help Rotom-C survive U-turn from non-Choice Band Scizor. The remaining EVs and a Calm nature give Rotom-C special bulk to better take common attacks such as Choice Specs Politoed's Hydro Pump, and Will-O-Wisp can patch up Rotom-C's low physically defensive investment. An alternate spread of 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD Calm, while forgoing physical bulk, gives Rotom-C a decent chance to survive two Hydro Pumps from Choice Specs Politoed after Stealth Rock damage.</p>

<p>While Rotom-C does have high special bulk, bulky setup sweepers such as Reuniclus and Latias will give it a lot of trouble. Not only are both unaffected by Will-O-Wisp, but they can easily tank and set up on its weak attacks. Bulky Thundurus-T is another setup sweeper that can easily stomach its STABs due to resisting them and having good special bulk. Therefore, specially defensive Heatran therefore makes a great partner, as it is able to phaze these threatening Pokemon out in spite of it being a somewhat shaky check to Thundurus-T. Blissey and Chansey also make for good partners, as they are able to rid Rotom-C of status conditions that it despises and can also wall the aforementioned Reuniclus and Latias. Setup sweepers can take advantage of the burns that Rotom-C can spread, so they benefit from having Rotom-C as a teammate. As always, any special wall will ruin this set; Heatran absorbs Will-O-Wisp while Blissey and Chansey have Natural Cure to alleviate burns. Terrakion is a great partner for this reason; it can set up on burned opponents and wreck Rotom-C's normal counters with Close Combat. Politoed is another good partner because it rids Rotom-C of its Fire weakness and allows it to run Thunder if one does not want to use Volt Switch.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>If your team has a Celebi weakness, Rotom-C can use Signal Beam to quickly KO it. Rotom-C can run Rain Dance to back up Politoed's Drizzle. A Choice Scarf set is usable but is outclassed by Rotom-W. A dual screens set can be used with Light Clay, but there are generally better dual screens users, such as Espeon. Confuse Ray can provide confusion support, but confusion is generally not the most reliable status.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Rotom-C is walled by many Pokemon, such as Blissey, Chansey, and specially defensive Heatran. While it can run Trick to attempt to cripple these counters, as well as other members of stall teams, the three will have a field day against Rotom-C that attempt to stay in and battle. Latios and Latias are also problematic as they resist both Rotom-C's STABs and can become deadly sweepers after just one turn of setup. They also have access to Roost, preventing them from being worn down by burn.</p>

<p>Grass-types, such as Ferrothorn, Virizion and Celebi, give Rotom-C a lot of trouble due to resisting its STAB moves. While Rotom-C can run Hidden Power Fire, Ferrothorn can switch in on those who don't run it—&mdash;or even those who do provided rain is up—&mdash;and can set up hazards. However, it is crippled by Will-O-Wisp and cannot recover with Leech Seed due to Rotom-C's Grass typing. Celebi is another great counter to Rotom-C because of its high Special Defense. The pixie can take anything Rotom-C can throw at it and retaliate back by either gaining momentum via U-turn or attacking with Hidden Power Ice or STAB Psychic. Virizion is an unconventional yet effective answer as it can also use Rotom-C as setup bait due to its great typing, high Special Defense, and access to Calm Mind, Work Up, and Swords Dance.</p>

<p>Ice-types, particularly Kyurem, Kyurem-B, and Abomasnow, give Rotom-C trouble as they resist its STABs due to their secondary Dragon- and Grass-type respectively; the latter is able to revenge kill it with Ice Shard as well. Numerous Fire-type Pokemon can also effectively check Rotom-C due to their resistance to Leaf Storm; these include Volcarona, Victini, and Ninetales. Ninetales and Volcarona both have naturally high base Special Defense, and the latter can set up on Rotom-C easily.</p>

<p>Last but not least, faster Pokemon that pack a strong super effective move can easily revenge kill Rotom-C; one such example is Mamoswine with STAB Icicle Crash.</p>

Last edited:
I noted that Haxorus has been mentioned in the calcs; due to how it kinda sucks in the meta, should I remove that?

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Alright, well you asked for help with the overviwe, so here I am.

<p>Oft referred to as the "middle brother" of the rotom family, Rotom-C seems outclassed at first glance by its own brothers, which sport better STAB coverage and defensive typing. Its Grass/Electric-typing gives it a water resistance, but unfortunately it also gives rather redundant STABs. Aside from this, it is weak to Ice-type moves, a common type for coverage on many bulky Water-type Pokemon.</p>

<p>However, not all is lost for the lawnmower, as it establishes itself a solid niche as a terrific partner for most voltturn members. Its STAB coverage, while rather redundant, can cover threats its brothers cannot, such as gastrodon. Overall, Rotom-C is a solid Pokemon, but do not expect to just be able to slap it onto a team and be successful.</p>
Ok, I don't like this metaphor at ALL. This is pure fluff and doesn't bring anything to the analysis at all. Rotom-C does not have brothers, it has other formes. I also don't think you should call it a lawnmower either, just refer to it as Rotom-C.

As for the actual content of the overview, you don't really talk about why to use Rotom-C over other Grass types. Like, why am I using Rotom-C over Celebi? You mentioned VoltTurn as a reason to use it, but all Rotom formes can be effective on VoltTurn teams. What exactly is the reason for using it? I mean, sure, it can hit Gastrodon, but so can Rotom-H/W by using HP Grass (which they both frequently ran in BW1 specifically for Gastrodon). Again, I ask what the specific reason for using Rotom-C is. I think the main thing Rotom-C has going for it is its Grass typing, which gives it a Water resist (you mentioned that, but you made it seem like it wasn't that big of a deal .-.). Leaf Storm is sort of mixed bag, and that needs to be addressed. It's really powerful, and that's appealing, but it also lowers Rotom-C's Special Attack by 2, which sucks. That basically forces you to switch, and no one ever likes having to switch. Plus it has imperfect accuracy. If I were going to talk about Rotom-C's flaws, that would be right up at the top of the list.

Last edited:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Get rid of the Specs and Offensive scout sets and make the bulky set the first in order.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
O.k so im not QCing this until I get a concrete response. Currently BKC and I are heavily against Scarf getting a set, and I don't know what other QC members think (I think I know some but don't want to put words in their mouth).

Basically, I don't think much of the Scarf set, simply because every water type out there has an ice attack, its U-Turn weak, Fire weak, etc etc, and it just seems sub par. Rotom-W also competes heavily against it, since it has an easier time switching into Water Attacks, plus gets its STAB boosted if Rain is up. Like I just don't see why I would use Scarf Rotom-C over Rotom0W, save for hitting Gastrodon, which isn't really enough for justifying this set.

O.k so im not QCing this until I get a concrete response. Currently BKC and I are heavily against Scarf getting a set, and I don't know what other QC members think (I think I know some but don't want to put words in their mouth).

Basically, I don't think much of the Scarf set, simply because every water type out there has an ice attack, its U-Turn weak, Fire weak, etc etc, and it just seems sub par. Rotom-W also competes heavily against it, since it has an easier time switching into Water Attacks, plus gets its STAB boosted if Rain is up. Like I just don't see why I would use Scarf Rotom-C over Rotom0W, save for hitting Gastrodon, which isn't really enough for justifying this set.
Ehh, was trying to stick to the original stuff while making edits. Will delete the scarf sets. Am I good for QC checks then?

Ok. Also i just realized that i wrote this up with no QC checks. This was because I needed to retain the content. Is it ok?

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
get rid of the skeleton i would think...

it serves no purpose

get rid of scarf in the write-up

c&c mention victini, kyurem-b/n, abomasnow, mamoswine

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Why did you write up a skeleton?

Just C/P the current analysis and make all of the necessary changes you can think of, like before. Your changes should be written in bold, and any removals should receive a strike-through.

Ok, I included what the final version looks like in hide
@PK Gaming @Jukain @alexwolf aside from the overview, does anything need to be changed? I believe this is ready for QC.
Mentions of victini and ice types added. Please QC check.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
If you're going to strike out entire sets, you might as well remove it altogether since it makes it easier on our eyes.

Anyway, it seems like you're getting there but it still needs some work (for whats it worth, most of the problems are with the analysis itself).
--------------------------------------------------------------------
While it is weak to Fire- and Ice-type moves, Rotom-C resists common attacks like Scizor's Bullet Punch and can significantly weakencripple it with a burn.
I don't see a point to this sentence. Rotom-C can burn Scizor... so what? It's superfluous information, because you won't be able to switch into Scizor for the most part. (U-turn and Swords Dance sets will maul you) I'd re-word this sentence in a way that advertises Rotom-C's ability to somewhat offensive water-types in the rain (though it's a step down from Rotom-W in that regard, so don't over sell it)
With Will-O-Wisp, any physical attacker must think twice before switching into Rotom-C for fear of being burned, rendering common Pokemon like Choice Band Terrakion and Scizor useless.
This sentence needs to be changed/changed for similar reasons. It's unnecessary / inaccurate.
Though the EVs may seem strange at first sight, the spread is actually crucial. 252 HP EVs coupled with 76 Defense EVs ensure that Rotom-C will withstand a Choice Band-boosted Close Combat from Terrakion with full health, while it can OHKO Terrakion back with Leaf Storm.
This part needs to be axed because it's not entirely accurate (CB Terrakion OHKOes Rotom-C after SR, aka a common battle condition)
While Rotom-C does have a lot of special bulk, Magic Guard usersbulky setup sweepers like Reuniclus and Latias will give it a lot of trouble. Not only is Reuniclus are both unaffected by Will-O-Wisp, but it they can easily tank unboosted moves and set up.
How exactly is Latias "unaffected" by Will-O-Wisp? It loses 12% per turn, which is pretty significant if you consider entry hazards, sandstream and potential Life Orb damage. I wouldn't bother mentioning Reuniclus as a particular set up sweeper that can check to Rotom-C, as there are more relevant Pokemon that should be mention. Instead, i'd bring up Volcarona and bulky Thundurus-T as Pokemon who can somewhat set up on Rotom-C. In addition to that, mention Tyranitar as a partner over Sableye (as it counters Latias, checks Thundurus-T and can somewhat deal with Volcarona, but be sure to mention that it's a really shaky check.
Sweepers that need to set up can make good usetake advantage of the burns that Rotom-C can spread, so they usually can benefit from having Rotom-C as a teammate.
The problem with this sentence is that it's vague and not entirely truthful (burning a couple of Pokemon isn't going to make it easier to sweep. (i'd argue that T-wave would be a better choice) The other issue here is that it the sentence doesn't explain why Rotom-C is a beneficial partner. You'd be better off removing it if you can't make the sentence work.
Terrakion is a great partner for this reason, because it can make use of burns to set up and wreck the normal counters of Rotom-C's normal counters with Close Combat. Politoed is another good partner because it rids Rotom-C of its Fire weakness and allows it to run Thunder if one does not want to use Volt Switch. Also, Politoed and Rotom-C have very good synergy, so the two work well together.</p>
This doesn't account for special attackers, and Terrakion can't always set up against burned attackers. Regardless, it's a good partner, so be sure to mention it anyway. The last line is pure fluff (why do Politoed and Rotom-C have good synergy? Why wouldn't I use Rotom-W in it's place, since it has access to STAB Hydro Pump?)

The overview needs some tweaks as well. You don't need to talk about the Rotom family, Rotom-C faces severe competition from Rotom-W alone, who is better 99% of the time. You need to drive that point home. The rest is decent. (barring the "all is not lost part, it's really cliched)
This line:
Its dual STABs, while redundant, make sure Ground-type Pokemon that would normally switch in to block Volt Switch in fear of a STAB Leaf Storm.
Needs to be reworked as it also applies to Rotom-W (except without the redundant part). It's STAB is only better at dealing with Gastrodon.

Last edited:
If you're going to strike out entire sets, you might as well remove it altogether since it makes it easier on our eyes.

Anyway, it seems like you're getting there but it still needs some work (for whats it worth, most of the problems are with the analysis itself).
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't see a point to this sentence. Rotom-C can burn Scizor... so what? It's superfluous information, because you won't be able to switch into Scizor for the most part. (U-turn and Swords Dance sets will maul you) I'd re-word this sentence in a way that advertises Rotom-C's ability to somewhat offensive water-types in the rain (though it's a step down from Rotom-W in that regard, so don't over sell it)

This sentence needs to be changed/changed for similar reasons. It's unnecessary / inaccurate.

This part needs to be axed because it's not entirely accurate (CB Terrakion OHKOes Rotom-C after SR, aka a common battle condition)

How exactly is Latias "unaffected" by Will-O-Wisp? It loses 12% per turn, which is pretty significant if you consider entry hazards, sandstream and potential Life Orb damage. I wouldn't bother mentioning Reuniclus as a particular set up sweeper that can check to Rotom-C, as there are more relevant Pokemon that should be mention. Instead, i'd bring up Volcarona and bulky Thundurus-T. In addition to that, mention Tyranitar as a partner over Sableye (as it counters Latias, checks Thundurus-T and can somewhat deal with Volcarona, but be sure to mention that it's a really shaky check.

The problem with this sentence is that it's vague and not entirely truthful (burning a couple of Pokemon isn't going to make it easier to sweep. (i'd argue that T-wave would be a better choice) The other issue here is that it the sentence doesn't explain why Rotom-C is a beneficial partner. You'd be better off removing it if you can't make the sentence work.

This doesn't account for special attackers, and Terrakion can't always set up against burned attackers. Regardless, it's a good partner, so be sure to mention it anyway. The last line is pure fluff (why do Politoed and Rotom-C have good synergy? Why wouldn't I use Rotom-W in it's place, since it has access to STAB Hydro Pump?)

The overview needs some tweaks as well. You don't need to talk about the Rotom family, Rotom-C faces severe competition from Rotom-W alone, who is better 99% of the time. You need to drive that point home. The rest is decent. (barring the "all is not lost part, it's really cliched)
This line:

Needs to be reworked as it also applies to Rotom-W (except without the redundant part). It's STAB is only better at dealing with Gastrodon.
Thanks! I'm gonna try rewriting with the changes you specified and delete the sets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)