Pokémon Rotom-H

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just thought up of a funny strategy. In the scenario in which Scarfed Rotom-H with Trick is facing an Air Balloon Mold Breaker Excadrill, they'll think that they can get past you with Mold Breaker EQ, which is when you Trick them to receive their Air Balloon, protecting you from EQ since Mold Breaker only bypasses Abilities, while they are helplessly locked into EQ.
Or you could just outspeed and Overheat for the KO since you're scarfed.

I just thought up of a funny strategy. In the scenario in which Scarfed Rotom-H with Trick is facing an Air Balloon Mold Breaker Excadrill, they'll think that they can get past you with Mold Breaker EQ, which is when you Trick them to receive their Air Balloon, protecting you from EQ since Mold Breaker only bypasses Abilities, while they are helplessly locked into EQ.
...That is genius.

Except. Scarf Overheat for the kill would be more effective, eh?

I can't get over how useful Scarf Rotom-H is right now. He's such an effective cripple to so, so many top threats with just Overheat / WoW / Volt Switch / T-Wave. I like T-Wave over Trick because, at least for my team, giving the wrong poke a Choice Scarf could be absolutely fatal and there are too many Megas I'd rather paralyze and effectively neuter. Point being Scarf Rotom-H is the man.

Edit: Greninja'd! Curses

...That is genius.

Except. Scarf Overheat for the kill would be more effective, eh?

I can't get over how useful Scarf Rotom-H is right now. He's such an effective cripple to so, so many top threats with just Overheat / WoW / Volt Switch / T-Wave. I like T-Wave over Trick because, at least for my team, giving the wrong poke a Choice Scarf could be absolutely fatal and there are too many Megas I'd rather paralyze and effectively neuter. Point being Scarf Rotom-H is the man.

Edit: Greninja'd! Curses
Yeah, just something I picked up on the fly. It pretty much guarantees a switch, allowing you to then gain momentum with Volt Switch or get a free switch as well. Of course, going straight for the Overheat is simpler.

I find Scarfed Will-O-Wisp especially useful, neutralizing things with sky-high Attack such as M-Mawile, Dragonite (which also breaks Multiscale), and Scizor. Scarf Rotom-H just makes an excellent lead, and Trick is also handy for crippling opposing leads such as Klefki, Sableye, and Skarmory. Haven't used or needed Thunder Wave very often because I have teammate(s) with priority, but the choice between T-Wave, WoW, and Trick all comes down to team preference.

Finally someone put this up (Just noticed though lol). While Rotom-H gets Pain Split pokebank, it's still nice, but that makes Resto Chesto -which you forgot to mention- set more viable, especially with the new mechanics of Rest.

The scarf set should always have Will-O-Wisp on it, as Scarf WoW will cripple Mega Khan, Garchomp and Mega, Mega Mawile (which will Sucker punch predicting Overheat, so WoW works better), Terrakion, and other common physical threats.

What I also like about the scarf WoW set, is that if the opponent happens to be Gliscar and still didn't activate Toxic Orb Yet, you can outspeed it and use WoW to prevent poison heal.

not to mention scarf Volt switch is something always good.

HP grass is Viable in UU, HP Ice is more Viable in OU, I think you should write that.

Finally someone put this up (Just noticed though lol). While Rotom-H gets Pain Split pokebank, it's still nice, but that makes Resto Chesto -which you forgot to mention- set more viable, especially with the new mechanics of Rest.

The scarf set should always have Will-O-Wisp on it, as Scarf WoW will cripple Mega Khan, Garchomp and Mega, Mega Mawile (which will Sucker punch predicting Overheat, so WoW works better), Terrakion, and other common physical threats.

What I also like about the scarf WoW set, is that if the opponent happens to be Gliscar and still didn't activate Toxic Orb Yet, you can outspeed it and use WoW to prevent poison heal.

not to mention scarf Volt switch is something always good.

HP grass is Viable in UU, HP Ice is more Viable in OU, I think you should write that.
I'll add the Chesto-Rest one into the OP as I see it with growing popularity and is quite effective. Same with WoW to the Scarf set. And I'll go into a bit more description for each set as well which I forgot to do.

I think I'll also add the dual status set which I have been using since it was first recommended, and I find works very effectively. There are few Fire types running around out there who just don't care for WoW but are crippled by T-Wave. Also helps with a couple of Special sweepers but most of the time I'll want to WoW everything, T-Wave just works so well for when he cannot.

And may I say that I just love running Ferrothorn with this guy as a brilliant defensive core. Ferrothorn has immunities to Poison and Leech Seed as well as other Grass-type status (Spore, Sleep Powder) meaning that status can no longer phase you :D . They also compliment each other defensively in terms of type match-ups. Ferro resists Rock and Water aimed at Rotom-H, Rotom-H resists Fire aimed at a Ferro and can then para them (I'm using the Dual Status set). The only weakness is Fighting, but considering the majority of Fighting type attacks are Physical a burn from Rotom-H can shut them down generally.

Last edited:
Another Set you should address is Assault Vest.

Rotom-Heat @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 228 HP / 56 SpA / 220 Spe / 4 SpD
Modest Nature (+Spa, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Discharge
- Overheat
- Hidden Power Ice (OU) / Hidden Power Grass (UU)

This is one of the best sets out there, the extra 4 SpD is to force Genesect to get +1 Attack forcing it to use NVE U-Turn. It is also for Porygon-Z and 2, forcing them to get +1 Attack which they will never use, this set is possibly the set that can wall most.

Also make sure that all your sets have more SpD than Def, A) because WoW and B) because Download users.

^ May I ask where the 228HP/ 56SpA/ 220Spe EVs came from? I got the SpD part and can definitely play a role, no I wouldn't say as much on an Assault Vest set which can't WoW, but I'm just wondering if the rest were needed to check anything in particular.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Another Set you should address is Assault Vest.

Rotom-Heat @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 228 HP / 56 SpA / 220 Spe / 4 SpD
Modest Nature (+Spa, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Discharge
- Overheat
- Hidden Power Ice (OU) / Hidden Power Grass (UU)

This is one of the best sets out there, the extra 4 SpD is to force Genesect to get +1 Attack forcing it to use NVE U-Turn. It is also for Porygon-Z and 2, forcing them to get +1 Attack which they will never use, this set is possibly the set that can wall most.

Also make sure that all your sets have more SpD than Def, A) because WoW and B) because Download users.
considering you resist ice beam, flamethrower, energy ball, bug buzz, flash cannon, and thunderbolt, the entire profile of genesect's special attacks i'd rather give it a special boost so its u-turn does minimal damage, that is the move it will be selecting when fighting rotom-h 1 on 1.

I can really see this guy being used a lot more often, now that Fire is actually a decent defensive type
But I was wondering what cores you guys use for this guy? I run him in a standard Fire/Water/Grass core
I have been using Mega Veusaur/ Rotom-Heat/ Tentacruel and it has been working like a charm

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Oh my God I went through a faze not that long ago where I had trouble building teams without Rotom-H on them. He completely counters Talonflame without any defensive investment meaning that I use specially defensive Rotom-H. This counters what it needs to on the physical side of the spectrum (plus I use Will-O-Wisp anyway) and can tank hits specially as well. I like slower pivots, so if I need one of those Choice Specs Rotom-H is usually on my team thanks to bulk and Volt Switch. IDK I just like this guy and hope he's listed as OU this gen, because imo he deserves it.

considering you resist ice beam, flamethrower, energy ball, bug buzz, flash cannon, and thunderbolt, the entire profile of genesect's special attacks i'd rather give it a special boost so its u-turn does minimal damage, that is the move it will be selecting when fighting rotom-h 1 on 1.
True, just remembered something too, some Genesects are carrying Extreme Speed, well, in UU it prefers 4 SpD, in OU it prefers 4 Def.

^ May I ask where the 228HP/ 56SpA/ 220Spe EVs came from? I got the SpD part and can definitely play a role, no I wouldn't say as much on an Assault Vest set which can't WoW, but I'm just wondering if the rest were needed to check anything in particular.
228 HP, enough to survive Outrage from Garchomp and Salamence, and 56 SpA, enough to OHKO Salamence after SR, same with Garchomp except SR+3layers of Spikes. 220 Speed, enough to outspeed Bulky Volcarona, Togekiss, Zygarde, Modest full investment Chandelure, other Rotom-H, Gyarados, Adamant full investment in speed Scizor, Bulky Landorus, Mega Heracross, Bulky Mr. Mime and other fast threats

I can really see this guy being used a lot more often, now that Fire is actually a decent defensive type
But I was wondering what cores you guys use for this guy? I run him in a standard Fire/Water/Grass core
I have been using Mega Veusaur/ Rotom-Heat/ Tentacruel and it has been working like a charm
Gyarados is a fantastic partner as always, and the part Flying means that you'll take Fighting moves and be safe even from Mold Breaker EQ from Excadrill, not to mention Intimidate to soften physical blows and RestTalk for Dragontail shuffling. Ferrothorn makes an amazing third to lay those hazards and appreciates the Fighting and Fire resistances and provides a Dragon and Rock resist. On top of the resistances this trio utterly craps on status users.

Breloom or Chesnaught is a decent Grass partner also. Chesnaught can lay down spikes and phase with Roar.

May I ask what is the opinion of you all regarding a FWG code of Ferrothorn, Rotom-H and Tentacruel? Combined, these 3 are immune to most status moves as Ferrothorn is immune to powder moves, Rotom-H is immune to burn and paralysis and Tentacruel is immune to poison (and leech seed if we want to include liquid ooze). We already know how good Ferrothorn is as a partner to Rotom-H and Tentacruel provides a good fire and fighting resistance for Ferrothorn.

Xenol your Poison and Leech Seed immunity would already come Ferrothorn considering Steel's immunity to Poison, so Tentracruel isn't exactly needed in the status sense. You'll find that a lot of water types will round off the core very well, though I would say that Jaroda's idea of Gyarados would be one of the better choices, as it brings the Fire/Fighting weakness as well as Intimidate and overall Ground immunity, as a Mold Breaker Excadrill or Haxorus with EarthQ can cause major issues in that core. But other than that it is still viable using Tentacruel to spin away SR for Rotom-H.

What EVs are people running on their Bold Rotom-H? Particularly for resisting Brave Bird/Flare Blitz Talonflame?

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What EVs are people running on their Bold Rotom-H? Particularly for resisting Brave Bird/Flare Blitz Talonflame?
252 HP /252 Def / 4 SpD with a Bold nature is the most ideal one, as you want the ability to soak up as many physical hits as posible, in addition to having a slower Volt Switch than other similar U-turn of Volt Switch users. You may make an exception for Rotom-H, however, if you do not want to be hit by Hydro Pump from other defensive Rotom-W, in which case you can Speed creepy by a few Speed points (4-12 Speed EVs).

Last edited:
The only thing that my rotom has a problem with is rotom w, ironically. He makes a great anti trick room abomasnow counter, which is I believe the new and pretty decent trick room sweeper. (From what I've seen.)

252 HP /252 Def / 4 SpD with a Bold nature is the most ideal one, as you want the ability to soak up as many physical hits as posible, in addition to having a slower Volt Switch than other similar U-turn of Volt Switch users. You may make an exception for Rotom-H, however, if you do not want to be hit by Hydro Pump from other defensive Rotom-W, in which case you can Speed creepy by a few Speed points (4-12 Speed EVs).
Wouldn't 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def be better, for Will-o-Wisp covers Defense side and b/c after pokebank, Download users like Porygon 2 and Porygon Z would take +1 SpA, but if you run my set, it would be +1 Atk (which will not be used), not to mention again you cover physical side by WoW, as for pokes like Talonflame, well you already resist BOTH his STABs + U-Turn and the rather uncommon Steel Wing, while Rotom-W doesn't resist U-turn

Is a flame orb trick set useful?

Not only you hurt the opponent you get their item, if it's leftovers it's aweosme. if it's choice item you can return to another opponent.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is a flame orb trick set useful?

Not only you hurt the opponent you get their item, if it's leftovers it's aweosme. if it's choice item you can return to another opponent.
Somewhat useful, but most of the time Will-O-Wisp + Lefties outclasses. Don't get me wrong though, it's definitely worth a try if nothing else, especially when dealing with Stall. Being able to permanently cripple something on a Stall team (Such as Blissey, who would switch into Rotom-H without hesitation) and pretty much make it bait isn't too bad of an idea.

Oh yeah, also wanted to ask, has anybody tried bulky specs Rotom-H yet? Back in Gen 5 UU I had been running a set with 116 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe / 4 SpD Modest, since the idea was just to outpace Honchkrow and hit as hard as possible. I figure it could work just as well in Gen 6 OU but with a tweak or revision to the EVs, but I have no idea on where to go with it, or if it's even worth it

Somewhat useful, but most of the time Will-O-Wisp + Lefties outclasses. Don't get me wrong though, it's definitely worth a try if nothing else, especially when dealing with Stall. Being able to permanently cripple something on a Stall team (Such as Blissey, who would switch into Rotom-H without hesitation) and pretty much make it bait isn't too bad of an idea.

Oh yeah, also wanted to ask, has anybody tried bulky specs Rotom-H yet? Back in Gen 5 UU I had been running a set with 116 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe / 4 SpD Modest, since the idea was just to outpace Honchkrow and hit as hard as possible. I figure it could work just as well in Gen 6 OU but with a tweak or revision to the EVs, but I have no idea on where to go with it, or if it's even worth it
It CAN work, but he doesn't really have the move pool or high enough SpA stat to be considered optimal. Plus all those assault Vest users. Being weak to stealth rock and being unable to spam his only fire STAB means in the long run your bulk isn't going to seem very impressive, especially without Leftovers. Don't get me wrong, Electric and Fire for STAB is fantastic coverage undoubtedly with only Dragon resisting, so HP Ice is a natural third slot, but I think you're better off investing in speed than bulk.

So I've been using safety goggles now on my tiny toaster oven. I am now immune to residual sandstorm/hail damage and spore. (until something knocks it off). I've caught so many ttars off guard as of late.

I'm looking for an alternate EV spread to get some speed EV's on it while having some decent bulk. I'm running Modest so 252 to sp.att is a must.

So I'm debating between Rotom-H and Solar Power Heliolisk (assuming its ever released) for my sun team. The slow volt turn is helpful for helping get my Drought setter back in to renew the sun, but Heliolisk hits harder and is great EQ bait for the clean switch as well. Any strong reason to use Rotom that I've forgotten?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)