Pokémon Rotom-H

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm debating between Rotom-H and Solar Power Heliolisk (assuming its ever released) for my sun team. The slow volt turn is helpful for helping get my Drought setter back in to renew the sun, but Heliolisk hits harder and is great EQ bait for the clean switch as well. Any strong reason to use Rotom that I've forgotten?
Well first of all, Solar Power Heliolisk is available now (via Friend Safari). Overall, I don't really think either has a niche on sun teams (one stacks SR weakness and the other has a tendency to die too quickly), but over all, I don't think there's any reason to run two fire-types on your team in addition to Ninetales/Charizard Y. So if you had to choose between either, I'd go with Heliolisk.

Last edited:
So I'm debating between Rotom-H and Solar Power Heliolisk (assuming its ever released) for my sun team. The slow volt turn is helpful for helping get my Drought setter back in to renew the sun, but Heliolisk hits harder and is great EQ bait for the clean switch as well. Any strong reason to use Rotom that I've forgotten?
Solar Power Heliolisk is available. I have a couple from a friend safari. The only problem with Heliolisk is that its coverage moves are lacking and you'd essentially be nullifying one of them -Surf- with the sun. It has nice [enough] power and speed, but it is very frail.
As for Rotom-H, another Stealth Rock weakness can hurt a lot, especially on a sun team. I've been using a specially defensive variant lately on a weatherless team and spin support is crucial.

Edit: ninja'd. I agree with RabidChipmunk though.

My bad on the friend safari, well that's good news for me. As for the SR weakness, I'm planning Infernape as an anti-lead who can beat most SR setters, and I'm also going to use defog Flygon. Heliolisk isn't too afraid of losing surf, as grass knot hits ground types plenty and his real problem will be chlorophyll grass types. They'll be easy to revenge kill, but taking any hits is not on Heliolisk's agenda.

Solar power plus life orb = insane damage output + insane recoil.
The good news is, volt switch will still cause pretty impressive damage, but reduce recoil.

Last edited:
Xenol your Poison and Leech Seed immunity would already come Ferrothorn considering Steel's immunity to Poison, so Tentracruel isn't exactly needed in the status sense. You'll find that a lot of water types will round off the core very well, though I would say that Jaroda's idea of Gyarados would be one of the better choices, as it brings the Fire/Fighting weakness as well as Intimidate and overall Ground immunity, as a Mold Breaker Excadrill or Haxorus with EarthQ can cause major issues in that core. But other than that it is still viable using Tentacruel to spin away SR for Rotom-H.
I've been running a Rotom-H/Empoleon/Celebi Core in Pokebank OU, there's no real rhyme or reason for this core except I'm terrible at spinning rocks away with Tentacruel if a ghost is involved and Empoleon has access to Defog which is easier to fire off. Celebi is just there to complete the core. I have a problem with Dark pokemon now but I run Physically defensive celebi with recover and she has plenty of chances to heal up while Rotom-H is spreading burns left and right.

So Rotom-H could be strong as an offensive core with Mienshao and Empoleon maybe. Rotom-H can now soak up the two statuses that are going to get thrown at Mienshao in will-o-wisp and thunder wave, while mienshao and scarf Rotom-H both have access to high speed and lots of offensive coverage, in addition to the voltturn core. Empoleon is an important part of the trio due to its rock resist (and ability to defog for such a switch-heavy team), while rotom-H can cover a lot of its weaknesses.

I run the Scarf Set with Overheat, Volt Switch WoW and Trick and it has become one of the greatest member to my team. Most people forget that he runs scarf and if they lead with Talonflame, it can take care of that threat right away with a Volt Switch.

Possibly the best Rotom form this gen. Excellent counter to Scizor and a good, strong fire type to have on your team. In my opinion, the timid specs set with volt switch, thunderbolt, overheat and trick is the best.

Honestly what greatly hampers the viability of Rotom-Heat is not his Stealth Rock weakness or the competition from Rotom-Wash. Electric-Fire is an awesome defensive and offensive typing which allows this nasty oven to potentially last forever on the field, provided that there isn't any strong Rock type or Blissey on the opposing team. Sadly, the only Fire move that he gets is Overheat, which forces him to switch too much, giving free turn to the opponent and making his Rock weakness much worse. If he will have Flamethrower(or any reliable special Fire move that doesn't drop your stats) on any point in the future, expect him to being used as, if not more than Rotom-Wash

Rotom-H @Chesto berry / Leftovers
EVs: 232 HP / 64 SpA / 208 SpDef / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: null Atk
-Overheat
-Volt Switch
-Will-o-Wisp
-Rest / Shadow Ball
Is what I've been testing with.
64 SpA 2HKOs Aegislash with the Overheat then -2 Overheat against shield form.
4 in Speed makes you volt switch before an opposing Rotom-W allowing you to go into Roserade or MB + SD Excadrill so you can set up.

Though, my argument for this thread is that Rotom-W in my opinion is better. If you want something that can protect your Dragons? Use the toaster, but against Aegislash? Shadow Ball is good enough.

No posts in 3 months? This pokemon is seriously good in the new meta and is pretty much has parity with Rotom-W

Compared to Rotom-W +: Resists electric, resists bug, resists grass, resists fairy, immune to burn, overheat misses half as often as hydro pump and is stronger

Compared to Rotom-W -: Weak to water, weak to rock, overheat lowers Spa

Compared to Rotom-W =: Resists ice, resists flying, resists fire, quad resists steel, immune to ground, immune to paralysis

Weakness to SR is an obvious fault, but hazard laziness is no reason to discount him. SR isn't stopping charizard from doing his job.

I use the following bulky set on a stall/bulkyoffense team

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 116 Def / 144 Spd
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Overheat
- Volt Switch/Discharge/Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

It can work as a lead and burn TTar, burn Mamoswine, burn Mawile, burn landorus-t, burn hippowdon, burn scizor, volt switch out of deoxys and heatran and aegis

Fire/Electric STABs are really good, the threat of burn can keep certain pokemon out, and the pain splits definitely help with longevity.

Switch Ins:
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-H: (28.71 - 34.32%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 116+ Def Rotom-H: 90-107 (29.7 - 35.31%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Aerialate Pinsir Return vs. 248 HP / 116+ Def Rotom-H: (31.68 - 37.29%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Huge Power MegaMawile Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 116+ Def Rotom-H: (35.31 - 41.58%) -- 16.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock -> Will-o-Wisp
252+ SpA Life Orb Clefable Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-H: 84-100 (27.72 - 33%) -- 0.02% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 248 HP / 116+ Def Rotom-H: (10.23 - 12.21%)
252 SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-H: 72-84 (23.76 - 27.72%)
0- Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 248 HP / 116+ Def Rotom-H: 51-60 (16.83 - 19.8%)

Checks and Survival:
252 SpA Charizard Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-H in sun: (53.46 - 63.03%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers
252 Atk Landorus-T Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 116+ Def Rotom-H: (60.06 - 71.28%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 248 HP / 116+ Def Rotom-H: (61.38 - 71.94%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Infernape Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 116+ Def Rotom-H: (55.77 - 66%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Deoxys-S Psycho Boost vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-H: (57.42 - 67.65%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Guts Conkeldurr Drain Punch vs. 248 HP / 116+ Def Rotom-H: (54.45 - 64.35%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Spooky Plate Aegislash Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-H: (59.73 - 70.62%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Obvious switch-in pokemon:
Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Scizor, Mandibuzz, Magnezone, Klefki, Scolipede, Togekiss,

I think his worst enemy is strong ghost and dark type attacks that are almost impossible for most pokemon to resist.

Last edited:
Call me crazy, but I'm considering a bulky RestTalk set with Charge Beam and HP Fire. It sucks you have to resort to that but it can just be considered a Non STAB Flamethrower.
Rotom-H@Leftovers
Levitate
Calm 252 HP / 252 SpD
- Charge Beam
- HP Fire
- Rest / WoW
- Sleep Talk / Pain Split

Rotom-H has the typing and bulk to potentially pull this off, particularly with a Reflect. RestTalk protects from Toxic, but Pain Split is still great on a defensive set against tougher walls.

RicepigeonKKM

Wait, who?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't see Charge Beam + HP Fire working that great tbh. You'd need at least 2 Sp.Atk boosts from Charge Beam just to get HP Fire anywhere near Overheat's power, which Rotom-H will be lucky to even get that far (unless you're using it as some sort of bulky cleaner for some reason but there are much better Pokes for that role than Rotom-H).

Just some calcs:

0 SpA Rotom-H Charge Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 122-146 (44.8 - 53.6%) -- 44.1% chance to 2HKO
+1 0 SpA Rotom-H Charge Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 186-218 (68.3 - 80.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 0 SpA Rotom-H Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 144-170 (44.4 - 52.4%) -- 18.8% chance to 2HKO
0 SpA Rotom-H Charge Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 102-120 (34.3 - 40.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 0 SpA Rotom-H Charge Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 152-180 (51.1 - 60.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 0 SpA Rotom-H Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 188 SpD Thick Fat Mega Venusaur: 74-90 (20.3 - 24.7%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

Wheras with Non-Charge Beam variants:

0 SpA Rotom-H Overheat vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 320-378 (117.6 - 138.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Rotom-H Overheat vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 204-242 (62.9 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Rotom-H Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 140-168 (47.1 - 56.5%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO
0 SpA Rotom-H Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 180-212 (60.6 - 71.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Rotom-H Overheat vs. 248 HP / 104 SpD Mega Scizor: 528-624 (153.9 - 181.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Rotom-H Overheat vs. 252 HP / 188 SpD Thick Fat Mega Venusaur: 108-128 (29.6 - 35.1%) -- 15.9% chance to 3HKO

You beat MegaPinsir outright with Overheat. While you're not guaranteed 2HKO after the Sp.Atk drop, you do put a bigger immediate dent in Aegislash. You 2HKO Zard Y with T-bolt and Volt Switch (with prior damage), whereas if you have no boosts, Charge Beam will only 3HKO regardless of if you get the boost or not. If you switch in against Bulky Mega Scizor, HP Fire will fail to OHKO whereas Overheat does, and even if they switch out, Overheat still leaves a bigger dent in anything not named Chansey or Heatran.

All in all, HP Fire + Charge Beam just doesn't seem that impressive compared to the immediate power that Overheat (and even Volt Switch and Thunderbolt to an extent) has to offer. Not only that, but Rotom-H without Overheat kind of defeats the purpose of using Rotom-H in the first place. If I wanted to be using HP Fire, I'd probably end up using Rotom-W instead.

Wouldn't hex work pretty well on him? Since he's already pretty good at paralyzing and burning you could throw that in for a super strong ghost type attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)