OU Rotom-W

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
K I talked to ShootingStarmie and a few people on IRC agreed that Specs just wasn't doing it for them. I've moved it to Other Options instead.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Where is the explanation for the 44 Spe EVs on the first set?
44 evs is to outspeed unboosted lando-t, which I guess is cool considering people usually u-turn on rotom-w because they're so confident they're faster

However, it maybe be beneficial to lower your speed ivs and not invest in speed at all just so you can volt switch out last in rotom-w vs rotom-w situations
I have found it extremely helpful to run 30 or maybe even lower speed ivs so I can outslow opposing rotom-w and always get someone in safely, giving me the momentum at the cost of a burned rotom-w, which I think is cool considering I use chestorest anyway. You may want to mention this.

Also, I'm very surprised to not see kyu-b in the counters section. He can switch in on anything bar WoW and set up a sub, from which point you are practically forced out lest you wish to be brought down to 50% by earth power (teravolt ignores levitate) If you come in on a death or a slow pivot, kyu-b practically has a safe sub and can proceed to wreck against rotom-w and its teammates, so you should really mention kyu-b in the counters section.

You may also want to mention char-y and char-x, if they have mega-evolved they can switch in on almost anything rotom-w has to offer and char-y can just roost off volt switch damage later or just solarbeam for the kill and char-x can set up on defensive rotom-w if it is carrying roost and some hp evs.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
44 evs is to outspeed unboosted lando-t, which I guess is cool considering people usually u-turn on rotom-w because they're so confident they're faster

However, it maybe be beneficial to lower your speed ivs and not invest in speed at all just so you can volt switch out last in rotom-w vs rotom-w situations
I have found it extremely helpful to run 30 or maybe even lower speed ivs so I can outslow opposing rotom-w and always get someone in safely, giving me the momentum at the cost of a burned rotom-w, which I think is cool considering I use chestorest anyway. You may want to mention this.

Also, I'm very surprised to not see kyu-b in the counters section. He can switch in on anything bar WoW and set up a sub, from which point you are practically forced out lest you wish to be brought down to 50% by earth power (teravolt ignores levitate) If you come in on a death or a slow pivot, kyu-b practically has a safe sub and can proceed to wreck against rotom-w and its teammates, so you should really mention kyu-b in the counters section.

You may also want to mention char-y and char-x, if they have mega-evolved they can switch in on almost anything rotom-w has to offer and char-y can just roost off volt switch damage later or just solarbeam for the kill and char-x can set up on defensive rotom-w if it is carrying roost and some hp evs.
The Speed is actually specifically to outrun Jolly Belly Drum Azumarill in order to burn it before it mauls Rotom-W with Play Rough. If it wasn't for that, it probably wouldn't run any Speed investment at all considering that Talonflame and Mega Pinsir wear it down faster with the lack of extra bulk investment.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
The Speed is actually specifically to outrun Jolly Belly Drum Azumarill in order to burn it before it mauls Rotom-W with Play Rough. If it wasn't for that, it probably wouldn't run any Speed investment at all considering that Talonflame and Mega Pinsir wear it down faster with the lack of extra bulk investment.
Ah I see. I suppose it is more important to make sure BD azumarill doesn't maul your entire team.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Halcyon.

Are you still planning on writing this? You have 24 hours to respond.
He told me to tell you that his computer has been busted and it should hopefully be repaired soon. I don't know if that'll change anything, but just wanted to give you a head's up.

I am unsure what the policy on PokeBank discussion is but Pain Split is now legal on Rotom-W in Japan, Europe, and the US.

I would add Bisharp to team options somewhere, since it can beat a lot of Rotom-W's counters through Knock Off and Rotom-W helps beat bulky ground types and can check some of the fighting types that threaten Bisharp.

You should add Assault Vest Conkeldurr to the Checks/Counters area, as it can use Rotom-W's Will-O-Wisp to it's advantage with Guts, as well as tank it's attacks with Assault Vest.

All right, so the new strategy dex is going up very soon and there are several Pokemon, including this one, that do not currently have completed analyses. Halcyon., if you could please try to make this look presentable within the next day, that would be helpful. Please contact user darkie once you've made it look presentable (by that I mean "acceptable to be on-site") and refer to and update this pirate pad: https://www.piratepad.ca/p/dex_skeletons

This needs to be done by tomorrow afternoon (GMT -6), so make sure you get it done! If you can't make it look presentable in the next day, please say so in the pirate pad so someone else can make a quick skeleton of it. Thanks!

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
I've realized that Will-O-Wisp should slashed in the third slot on the Scarf set. It allows him to spread status after he Tricked away his Scarf, and also annoys things that could otherwise switch into him endlessly, like Megasaur.

Choice Scarf
########
move 1: Volt Switch
move 2: Hydro Pump
move 3: Thunderbolt / Will-O-Wisp
move 4: Trick
ability: Levitate
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Modest / Timid
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

AC: HP Ice and HP Fire

How would something like that look?

Last edited:
In the Overview, I'd mention as a con that it doesn't have the raw bulk to take strong neutral hits.
This means that even if the opponent has a Latias, mega Pinsir, or other counter in the wings
What? I don't think you meant to have Mega Pinsir there.
This includes Bisharp, Garchomp, Azumarill, and other Pokemon on the revenge kill
I don't understand the reference to revenge killing.

I'd prefer you move the possibility of a Specially Defensive set from Set Details to OO, really. Also, I don't think changing the nature and shifting 136 EVs is something small enough to be a possibility with the set. It's not really worth the mention, considering Heatran doesn't want to stay in on Rotom-W and has no recovery.

For Usage Tips, I'd add that people may try to switch in Ground-types to regain momentum on a predicted Volt Switch, so it's not always best to just Volt Switch on a predicted switch.

In Usage Tips for the Scarf set, mention that Mega Venusaur often switches into Rotom-W and is immune to Trick, so it's best not to go for that if the opponent has one. The tip about Ground-types switching in on a predicted Volt Switch can apply here, too.
This includes Landorus-I, Keldeo, Thundurus, and Manaphy, which can all break through Chansey more easily without Eviolite.
The thing immediately after this about Keldeo enjoying the ability to check Talonflame and Mega Pinsir is good, but I wouldn't put Keldeo in a list of Pokemon that have trouble breaking through Chansey.
Neither of these care about being hit by Hydro Pump, and usually don't care much about burns either.
You forgot to actually name Latios and Latias.

Checks and Counters can be increased a bit. Ferrothorn dislikes Burn, but it's manageable with Leech Seed, and Poison Heal Breloom works really well.

Tag me when you've done these and I'll stamp.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
In the Overview, I'd mention as a con that it doesn't have the raw bulk to take strong neutral hits.

What? I don't think you meant to have Mega Pinsir there.

I don't understand the reference to revenge killing.

I'd prefer you move the possibility of a Specially Defensive set from Set Details to OO, really. Also, I don't think changing the nature and shifting 136 EVs is something small enough to be a possibility with the set. It's not really worth the mention, considering Heatran doesn't want to stay in on Rotom-W and has no recovery.

For Usage Tips, I'd add that people may try to switch in Ground-types to regain momentum on a predicted Volt Switch, so it's not always best to just Volt Switch on a predicted switch.

In Usage Tips for the Scarf set, mention that Mega Venusaur often switches into Rotom-W and is immune to Trick, so it's best not to go for that if the opponent has one. The tip about Ground-types switching in on a predicted Volt Switch can apply here, too.

The thing immediately after this about Keldeo enjoying the ability to check Talonflame and Mega Pinsir is good, but I wouldn't put Keldeo in a list of Pokemon that have trouble breaking through Chansey.

You forgot to actually name Latios and Latias.

Checks and Counters can be increased a bit. Ferrothorn dislikes Burn, but it's manageable with Leech Seed, and Poison Heal Breloom works really well.

Tag me when you've done these and I'll stamp.
Done Swamp Link

You forgot to change the reference to Mega Pinsir as a counter in the Moves section of the first set. But other than that, looks great! Well done.

Stamp.gif

QC 3/3

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Halcyon.

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

Overview
########

<p>Rotom-W, thanks to its typing, ability, decent stats, and movepool that suits it perfectly, is one of the best utility Pokemon in the tier. Its Water / Electric typing is very useful for taking in on powerful and common threats in the tier such as Mega Pinsir, Talonflame, and Azumarill. Levitate in conjunction with its Water typing allows it to check common Ground-types as well, such as Landorus-T, Hippowdon, and even non-Substitute Garchomp. Furthermore, it has the perfect support moves to fit its role, with STAB Volt Switch providing ever-valuable momentum, Pain Split healing it and also damaging the opponent, Trick to cripple walls (most notably Chansey, a common switch-in to Rotom-W), and Will-O-Wisp to threaten physical attackers.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, it is Rotom-W's strengths that have made the metagame adapt around it. While Rotom-W has an amazing typing, its low HP means its bulk isn't as naturally high as it might like. Teams that use Rotom-W to check the previously mentioned Pokemon will often find that it's hard-pressed to cover them all considering its only recovery move is Pain Split or the one-time-use unreliable Rest. However, with even the slightest amount of support, Rotom-W can truly shine in this metagame.</p>

Defensive
########
move 3: Will-O-Wisp
move 4: Pain Split / Rest
item: Leftovers / Chesto Berry
nature: Bold
evs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe

Moves
========

<p>This set is the perfect combination of defensive and offensive presence, making it a perfect Pokemon for balanced teams. Rotom-W has access to STAB Volt Switch, which allows it to assume the role of defensive pivot against Pokemon like Mega Pinsir, Talonflame, and Azumarill. This means that even if the opponent has a Latias, Mega Venusaur, or other counter in the wings, Rotom-W can simply Volt Switch into another Pokemon that has a better matchup against said counter. Hydro Pump is useful for hitting the Ground-types that Rotom-W can usually switch into with ease, namely Hippowdon and Landorus-T. Neither of these Pokemon can take a Hydro Pump well, nor will they appreciate a burn courtesy of Will-O-Wisp. The threat of Will-O-Wisp can also force certain physical attackers to switch. This includes Bisharp, Garchomp, Azumarill, and others. The last move is dedicated to healing Rotom-W as best it can. Pain Split is useful because it allows it Rotom-W to also run Leftovers, gradually increasing its recovery throughout the match. It also "damages" the opponent if they switch in something like Chansey or Mega Venusaur and Rotom-W is at mid or low health. However, Rest has its merits as well. If Rotom-W gets statused, Rest is useful for healing it. Rest also completely heals Rotom-W, while Pain Split is dependent on the opponent's health. However, Rest is unreliable, as it can only be used once with a Chesto Berry without putting Rotom-W to sleep. Thunder Wave can be used over Will-O-Wisp, but it is usually an inferior option, as common switch-ins to Rotom-W, such as Latias, Quagsire, Chansey, and Mega Venusaur, (AC) dislike burns more than paralysis.</p>

Set Details
========

<p>The 44 Speed EVs allow Rotom-W to outspeed and KO Jolly Belly Drum Azumarill. A physically defensive set is best suited to the metagame, and makes it easier for Rotom-W to counter powerful Flying-types such as Mega Pinsir and Talonflame.</p>

Usage Tips
========

<p>Rotom-W has a great typing and ability that give it many useful resistances. Because if of this, it is one of the best defensive pivots in the game. However, there tends to be a lot of defensive pressure on Rotom-W, as many people expect it to check Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, Azumarill, Garchomp, Mamoswine, and other Pokemon all at once. For this reason, it's important to realize that it is simply not possible to do all these things, so the rest of the team should try and help it do its job support it with at least some of these. Rotom-W forces a lot of switches, so the option to either Volt Switch or Will-O-Wisp can be tricky. Don't be afraid to use Will-O-Wisp instead of Volt Switch, as only Pokemon like Charizard X can safely switch into a Rotom-W who that might Volt Switch or Will-O-Wisp. Sometimes people will even switch in their Ground-type in on a predicted Volt Switch, but none of these appreciate being burned.</p>

Team Options
========

<p>Rotom-W is one of the best users of Volt Switch in the tier, so common users of U-turn also tend to work well with it. Scizor and Landorus-T are among the best partners for Rotom-W. Scizor in particular covers Rotom-W's weaknesses well, and Mega Scizor loves to set up on common switch-ins to Rotom-W, (AC) such as Latios, Latias, and Mega Venusaur. Pokemon weak to Mamoswine, such as Dragonite and Garchomp, (AC) really appreciate having Rotom-W, as it is nearly a perfect counter to Mamoswine, bar Freeze Dry. Also, (AC) Pokemon that don't appreciate Mega Pinsir love having Rotom-W as a partner. Offensive Pokemon such as Keldeo and defensive Pokemon such as Mega Venusaur are both good options. Frrothorn is a Grass-type, can somewhat handle things like Greninja and Manaphy, and can set up entry hazards for VoltTurn teams.</p>

Choice Scarf
########

Moves
========

<p>While holding a Choice Scarf, Rotom-W takes a more offensive approach to its utility. It still makes for one of the best pivots in the game, sporting great resistances and bulk, but with much more offensive presence. Volt Switch is the main STAB move, hitting many of the Pokemon it likes to switch into such as Talonflame and Mega Pinsir. However, the main reason for the move is the momentum that it brings, being able to give free switches to frailer members of the team, as well as allowing for a favorable matchup with whatever the opponent sends in. Hydro Pump is a powerful option to hit cheeky Ground-type, (AC) and Garchomp. Thunderbolt is a more reliable STAB option, (RC) one that doesn't force Rotom-W to switch out and is better suited for hitting Pokemon such as Gyarados and Keldeo. However, Will-O-Wisp can also be useful for either getting a fast burn on something that might not expect it, such as Substitute Garchomp, or as a utility move after Rotom-W has removed its Choice Scarf through Trick. This can be used against more defensive switch-ins to Rotom-W such as Chansey. Hidden Power Ice or Fire can be used depending on what the team needs removed killed, including Landorus, Garchomp, and Scizor, though the nerf in power has made this a lesser option.</p>

Set Details
========

<p>The choice between Modest and Timid is entirely dependent on what the rest of the team can cover. Modest is good for guaranteeing a 2HKO on Mega Gyarados with Volt Switch and just having more power in general. Timid is really only useful to hit Jolly Mega Gyarados at +1 before it can hit back with Earthquake.</p>

Usage Tips
========

<p>Choice Scarf Rotom-W's utility depends on when it is best for it to Trick its Choice Scarf away. Against offensive teams, keeping the Choice Scarf is generally advisable, and Scarf Rotom-W can make for a good check to Mega Gyarados and Mega Tyranitar since because it can burn both at +1 with Will-O-Wisp or KO weakened ones with its STAB moves. However, against defensive teams, Tricking the Choice Scarf onto a common switch-in to Rotom-W such as Chansey is a great way to cripple it for another special attacker to sweep later in the game. Volt Switch is a really useful move, and should be used as much as possible in order to get other, frailer Pokemon in for free. However, Ground-types will love switching into predicted Volt Switches, so Will-O-Wisp is often also a good move on a predicted switch. Mega Venusaur is a common answer to Rotom-W, and if the opponent has one, it is unadvised to use Trick. It is immune to it, and which forces Rotom-W to switch out immediately.</p>

Team Options
========

<p>Choice Scarf Rotom-W works best on VoltTurn teams as an offensive pivot, so pairing it with other pivots works very well. Landorus-T and Scizor are among the best partners to Rotom-W for this reason. They cover each other's weaknesses well and the combo forces switches often. Because of this, reliable entry hazards setters work well with Rotom-W. Landorus-T as well as and Skarmory fit this description nicely. Any Pokemon that appreciates Chansey being crippled will love Rotom-W's Trick support. This includes Landorus-I, Thundurus, and Manaphy, which can all break through Chansey more easily without Eviolite. Keldeo in particular likes Rotom-W as a partner due to its ability to switch into Talonflame and Mega Pinsir's Quick Attack.</p>

Other Options
########

<p>Specially defensive Rotom-W can make a decent check to Greninja, Landorus-I, and Keldeo. However, a physically defensive set is better suited for the metagame. A Choice Specs set can be used for extra power, but usually Rotom-W has better things to be doing and "powerful Water-type wallbreaker" can be done better by this role conflicts with Manaphy and Keldeo. On a similar note, a Life Orb set that relies on Pain Split for recovery can be used similar to Gengar, but it runs into the same issue that Choice Specs set does: it's simply outclassed as a special attacker. Dual Screens can work, since it as Rotom-W can also provide valuable momentum, but both Deoxys formes and Latios tend to be more universally useful. Rotom-W can run Hidden Power Grass to hit Quagsire, but Quagsire is mostly used on stall teams, and those will usually have a better switch-in to Rotom-W than Quagsire.</p>

Checks & Counters
########

**Bulky Grass-types**: Mega Venusaur, Amoongus, and Celebi are all decent choices to counter Rotom-W. They take very little from either of Rotom-W's STAB moves or its rare coverage moves. However, with the exception of Celebi, they don't appreciate being burned by Will-O-Wisp. Ferrothorn can also wear down Rotom-W with Leech Seed and Power Whip. Leech Seed will even mitigate burn damage. Poison Heal Breloom is immune to status burn, so it also makes for a great switch-in to Rotom-W, and can even turn it into use it as setup fodder.

**Bulky Dragon-types**: Neither of Latios and nor Latias care about being hit by Hydro Pump, and usually don't care much about burns either. They can also 2HKO defensive Rotom-W with a Life Orb-boosted Draco Meteor. Bulky Charizard X doesn't mind taking Hydro Pump, Thunderbolt, or Volt Switch, and also cannot be burned or Tricked, making it an excellent switch-in to Rotom-W. Kyurem-B can switch in on any move besides Will-O-Wisp and hits it Rotom-W through Levitate with Earth Power thanks to Teravolt.

**Chansey**: Chansey has huge special bulk to tank Volt Switches and Hydro Pumps, (RC) and Natural Cure to heal itself of burn if it switches into a Will-O-Wisp. It can also Toxic Rotom-W to wear it down and negate its Leftovers recovery. However, Chansey is probably Rotom-W's biggest target for Trick, so Chansey must be somewhat cautious around it.

**Assault Vest Conkeldurr**: Conkeldurr takes relatively low damage from Hydro Pump and Volt Switch and actually enjoys being burned thanks to Guts. Conkeldurr can also Knock Off Rotom-W's item, which is heavily depends on, (RC) whether for recovery or and utility. With a Guts boost, Drain Punch can score a 2HKO on even defensive Rotom-W, (RC) while recovering its Conkeldurr's own health. It does have to watch out for Trick from Choice Scarf Rotom-W, however.

1/2

Last edited:
Extremely nitpicky amateur GP check. Just suggestions. Feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Overview
########

<p>Rotom-W, thanks to its typing, ability, decent stats, and movepool, is one of the best utility Pokemon in the tier. Its Water / Electric typing is very useful for taking on powerful and common threats in the tier such as Mega Pinsir, Talonflame, and Azumarill. Levitate, in conjunction with its Water typing, allows it to check common Ground-types as well, such as Landorus-T, Hippowdon, and even non-Substitute Garchomp. Furthermore, it has the perfect support moves to fit its role, with STAB Volt Switch providing valuable momentum, Pain Split healing it and also damaging the opponent, Trick, which allows it to cripple walls (most notably Chansey, a common switch-in to Rotom-W), and Will-O-Wisp, to threaten physical attackers.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, it is Rotom-W's strengths that have made the metagame adapt around it. While Rotom-W has an amazing typing, its low HP means its bulk isn't as naturally high as it might like. Teams that use Rotom-W to check the previously mentioned Pokemon will often find that it's hard-pressed to cover them all considering its only recovery move is Pain Split or the unreliable Rest. However, with even the slightest amount of support, Rotom-W can truly shine in this metagame.</p>

Defensive

########

move 3: Will-O-Wisp
move 4: Pain Split / Rest
item: Leftovers / Chesto Berry
nature: Bold
evs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Moves
========

<p>This set is has the perfect combination of defensive and offensive presence, making it a perfect Pokemon for balanced teams. Rotom-W has access to STAB Volt Switch, which allows it to assume the role of defensive pivot against Pokemon like Mega Pinsir, Talonflame, and Azumarill. This means that even if the opponent has a Latias, Mega Venusaur, or other counter in the wings, Rotom-W can simply Volt Switch into to another Pokemon that has a better matchup against said counter. Hydro Pump is useful for hitting the Ground-types that Rotom-W can usually switch into with ease, namely Hippowdon and Landorus-T. Neither of these Pokemon can take a Hydro Pump well, nor will they appreciate a burn courtesy of Will-O-Wisp. The threat of Will-O-Wisp can also force certain physical attackers to switch out. This includes Bisharp, Garchomp, Azumarill, and others. The last move is dedicated to healing Rotom-W as best it can. Pain Split is useful because it allows Rotom-W to also run Leftovers, gradually increasing its recovery throughout the match. It also "damages" the opponent if they switch in something like Chansey or Mega Venusaur and Rotom-W is at mid or low health. However, Rest has its merits as well. If Rotom-W gets statused, Rest is useful for healing it. Rest also completely heals Rotom-W, while Pain Split is dependent on the opponent's health. However, Rest is unreliable, as it can only be used once with a Chesto Berry without putting Rotom-W to sleep. Thunder Wave can be used over Will-O-Wisp, but it is usually an inferior option, as common switch-ins to Rotom-W, such as Latias, Quagsire, Chansey, and Mega Venusaur, dislike burns more than paralysis.</p>

Set Details
========

<p>The 44 Speed EVs allow Rotom-W to outspeed and KO Jolly Belly Drum Azumarill. A physically defensive set is best suited to the metagame, and makes it easier for Rotom-W to counter powerful Flying-types such as Mega Pinsir and Talonflame.</p>

Usage Tips
========

<p>Rotom-W has a great typing and ability that give it many useful resistances. Because of this, it is one of the best defensive pivots in the game. However, there tends to be a lot of defensive pressure on Rotom-W, as many people expect it to check Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, Azumarill, Garchomp, Mamoswine, and other Pokemon, all at once. For this reason, it's important to realize that it is simply not possible to do all these things, so the rest of the team should try and help it do its job. Rotom-W forces a lot of switches, so the option to either Volt Switch or Will-O-Wisp can be tricky. Don't be afraid to use Will-O-Wisp instead of Volt Switch, as only Pokemon like Charizard X can safely switch into a Rotom-W that might Volt Switch or Will-O-Wisp. Sometimes people will even switch in their Ground-type in on a predicted Volt Switch, but none of these appreciate being burned.</p>

Team Options
========

<p>Rotom-W is one of the best users of Volt Switch in the tier, so common users of U-turn also tend to work well with it. Scizor and Landorus-T are among the best partners for Rotom-W. Scizor in particular covers Rotom-W's weaknesses well, and Mega Scizor loves to set up on common switch-ins to Rotom-W, such as Latios, Latias, and Mega Venusaur. Pokemon weak to Mamoswine, such as Dragonite and Garchomp, really appreciate having Rotom-W, as it is nearly a perfect counter to Mamoswine, bar Freeze Dry. Also, Pokemon that don't appreciate Mega Pinsir love having Rotom-W as a partner. Offensive Pokemon such as Keldeo and defensive Pokemon such as Mega Venusaur are both good options. Ferrothorn is a Grass-type, that can somewhat handle things like Greninja and Manaphy, and can set up entry hazards for VoltTurn teams.</p>

Choice Scarf
########

Moves
========

<p>While holding a Choice Scarf, Rotom-W takes a more offensive approach to its utility. It still makes for one of the best pivots in the game, sporting great resistances and bulk, but with much more offensive presence. Volt Switch is the main STAB move, hitting many of the Pokemon it likes to switch into such as Talonflame and Mega Pinsir. However, the main reason for the move is the momentum that it brings, being able to give free switches to frailer members of the team, as well as allowing for a favorable matchup with whatever the opponent sends in. Hydro Pump is a powerful option with which to hit Ground-types, and Garchomp. Thunderbolt is a more reliable STAB option that doesn't force Rotom-W to switch out, and is better suited for hitting Pokemon such as Gyarados and Keldeo. However, Will-O-Wisp can also be useful for either getting a fast burn on something that might not expect it, such as Substitute Garchomp, or as a utility move after Rotom-W has removed its Choice Scarf through Trick. This can be used against more defensive switch-ins to Rotom-W such as Chansey. Hidden Power Ice or Fire can be used depending on what the team needs removed, including Landorus, Garchomp, and Scizor, though the nerf in power has made this a lesser less useful option.</p>

Set Details
========

<p>The choice between Modest and Timid is entirely dependent on what the rest of the team can cover. Modest is good for guaranteeing a 2HKO on Mega Gyarados with Volt Switch and just having more power in general. Timid is really only useful to hit Jolly Mega Gyarados at +1 before it can hit back with Earthquake.</p>

Usage Tips
========

<p>Choice Scarf Rotom-W's utility depends on when it is best for it to Trick its Choice Scarf away. Against offensive teams, keeping the Choice Scarf is generally advisable, and Rotom-W can make for a good check to Mega Gyarados and Mega Tyranitar because it can burn both at +1 with Will-O-Wisp, or KO weakened ones with its STAB moves. However, against defensive teams, Tricking the Choice Scarf onto a common switch-in to Rotom-W such as Chansey is a great way to cripple it for to allow another special attacker to sweep later in the game. Volt Switch is a really useful move, and should be used as much as possible in order to get other, frailer Pokemon in for free. However, Ground-types will love switching into predicted Volt Switches, so Will-O-Wisp is often also a good move on a predicted switch. Mega Venusaur is a common answer to Rotom-W, and if the opponent has one, it is unadvised to use Trick. It is immune to it, which forces Rotom-W to switch out immediately.</p>

Team Options
========

<p>Choice Scarf Rotom-W works best on VoltTurn teams as an offensive pivot, so pairing it with other pivots works very well. Landorus-T and Scizor are among the best partners to Rotom-W for this reason. They cover each other's weaknesses well and the combo forces switches often. Because of this, reliable entry hazard setters work well with Rotom-W. Landorus-T and Skarmory fit this description nicely. Any Pokemon that appreciates Chansey being crippled will love Rotom-W's Trick support. This includes Landorus, Thundurus, and Manaphy, which can all break through Chansey more easily without Eviolite. Keldeo in particular likes Rotom-W as a partner due to its ability to switch into Talonflame, and Mega Pinsir's Quick Attack.</p>

Other Options
########

<p>Specially defensive Rotom-W can make a decent check to Greninja, Landorus-I, and Keldeo. However, a physically defensive set is better suited for to the metagame. A Choice Specs set can be used for extra power, but usually Rotom-W has better things to be doing and this role conflicts with Manaphy and Keldeo. On a similar note, a Life Orb set that relies on Pain Split for recovery can be used, similar to Gengar, but it runs into the same issue that Choice Specs set does: it's simply outclassed as a special attacker. Dual Screens can work, as Rotom-W can also provide valuable momentum, but both Deoxys formes and Latios tend to be more universally useful. Rotom-W can run Hidden Power Grass to hit Quagsire, but Quagsire is mostly used on stall teams, and those will usually have a better switch-in to Rotom-W than Quagsire.</p>

Checks & Counters
########

**Bulky Grass-types**: Mega Venusaur, Amoongus, and Celebi are all decent choices to counter Rotom-W. They take very little damage from either of Rotom-W's STAB moves, or from its rare coverage moves. However, with the exception of Celebi, they don't appreciate being burned by Will-O-Wisp. Ferrothorn can also wear down Rotom-W with Leech Seed and Power Whip. Leech Seed will even mitigate burn damage. Poison Heal Breloom is immune to status, so it also makes for a great switch-in to Rotom-W, and can even use it as setup fodder.

**Bulky Dragon-types**: Neither Latios nor Latias care about being hit by Hydro Pump, and usually don't care much about burns either. They can also 2HKO defensive Rotom-W with a Life Orb-boosted Draco Meteor. Bulky Charizard X doesn't mind taking Hydro Pump, Thunderbolt, or Volt Switch, and also cannot be burned or Tricked, making it an excellent switch-in to Rotom-W. Kyurem-B can switch in on any move besides Will-O-Wisp and hit Rotom-W through Levitate with Earth Power thanks to Teravolt.

**Chansey**: Chansey has huge special bulk to tank Volt Switches with and Hydro Pumps and Natural Cure to heal itself of burn if it switches into a Will-O-Wisp. It can also Toxic Rotom-W to wear it down and negate its Leftovers recovery. However, Chansey is probably Rotom-W's biggest target for Trick, so Chansey must be somewhat cautious around it.

**Assault Vest Conkeldurr**: Conkeldurr takes relatively low little damage from Hydro Pump and Volt Switch, and actually enjoys being burned thanks to Guts. Conkeldurr can also Knock Off Rotom-W's item, which is heavily depends on for recovery and utility. With a Guts boost, Drain Punch can score a 2HKO on even defensive Rotom-W while recovering restoring Conkeldurr's own health. It does have to watch out for Trick from Choice Scarf Rotom-W, however.

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
In OO:

Dual Screens can work, as Rotom-W can also provide valuable momentum, but both Deoxys formes and Latios tend to be more universally useful.
Don't you mean Latias?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)