RR (Peak 1452 on PO ladder)

Did you think RR stood for Russian Roulette? No, it stands for
Rain Rape

Team at a glance:

Hey guys, this will be my first ever RMT on Smogon, please don't judge me too harshly because I would love some criticism to make this team better. If this gains some interest, I will do a threat list and such.
Honestly, this team is EXTREMELY overused in the sense that these movesets and such are common except for one exception.

Politoed (M) @ Choice Scarf Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 16 HP / 252 SAtk / 240 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Perish Song
The first unexpected thing about my team. Scarfed Politoed is a GREAT revenge killer. If I sent this out on a Terrakion, people would think that I must just be rain foddering this Toad...but it'll OHKO Terrakion in the rain with Scald. 240 Speed EVs (354 speed) gives it the speed to outspeed specs Tornadus and almost everything that isn't scarfed except a few pokes. Toad can safely take an expert belted Rotom-W volt switch at around 95%.

Tornadus (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Mm, I love this mofo. Choice specs Hurricane will sweep entire teams that don't outspeed Tornadus. Not much to say about this poke, the Focus Blast is for TTars who are OHKOd. HP Ice isn't used much, sometimes just for....now that I think about it, nothing. U-Turn is for breaking some subs usually and if I predict TTar coming in.

Bronzong @ Iron Ball
Trait: Heatproof
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Trick
How many times do you see a heatproof Bronzong? Especially in rain, fire attacks will barely do 25% (Fire blast at max). Heatran without Air Balloons are completely destroyed thinking that Bronzong just sets up hazards/screens. Max attack and 4x super effective will EASILY OHKO Heatran. It walls Latios and Gyro Ball can easily do upwards of 90% to a Latios and with SRs up, it is beastly. Iron Ball, if you guys didn't know, cuts Bronzong's speed in half which maximizes the power of Gyro Ball. And if I really want to cripple ANY pokemon, I can trick the Iron Ball and then be able to safely Spore from Breloom or Hurricane from Tornadus.

Breloom (F) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Spore
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Seed Bomb
Breloom is definitely UnderUsed in the OU tier. If you can use Breloom correctly, he will almost always be one of the last pokemon standing in your team at the end of the battle. Be sure you can outspeed the poke you bring Breloom into and predict the switch and first go for Substitute to MAKE SURE you don't want to Spore something you want to spore later. For example, sporing a sleep talking Gyarados will be useless. Be smart with your Breloom and it will NOT let you down.

Rotom-W @ Expert Belt
Trait: Levitate
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave/Will-o-Wisp
I'm honestly debating going back to the Choice Scarf version of Rotom-W since I miss outspeeding Gyrados with +1 DD...But this destroys the other water pokes with Expert belted Volt Switch. Hydro Pump + max EVs + STAB + Rain boost? Rape. It is extremely easy to fake the Scarf as well. Two Hydro Pumps in a row that outspeed usually convince the opponent. HP Ice is able to OHKO other brelooms that think they can outspeed and/or survive. Expert Belt is ftw here.

Dragonite (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- ExtremeSpeed
- Outrage
- Earthquake
My physical sweeper...One Dragon Dance and unless they have Glisicor/Hippow/Skarm/Any steal types, the battle is over. Over 600 attack and STAB Outrage, it's over. I decided to use EQ over Fire Punch just for the sole reason of rain interfering with it. But otherwise, this will go through entire teams. The Multiscale ability is a MUST HAVE on D-Nite...a pseudo-focus sash while the Lum Berry rids confusion from Outrage or any other status like Burn/Paralyze that try to slow him down.

Alright guys, don't judge me to harshly. I am only looking to improve! Thanks for taking your time and reading through this! :D

Can anyone tell me how to add the Teambuilder spoiler/Exportable thing?

Never mind, found it...I'll be adding a team building process/exportable soon

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey there, this looks like a relatively solid rain team here. First off, I'd probably throw Hydro Pump on your ScarfToed over Scald. While 80 Accuracy is somewhat reliable, Politoed really appreciates the power of Hydro Pump due to his mediocre special attack and running it should increase its ability to kill threats, thereby making him a better revenge killer. Anyways, this team is quite weak to Dragon Dance Gyarados with Waterfall and Bounce. Your Scarfer is incapable of beating it outside of a lucky Scald Burn or Perish Song [although Gyarados can simply circumvent this and come in multiple times; plus it still does damage afterwards]. Gyarados also outspeeds Tornadus at +1 and both offensive and bulky variants always get the KO under rain. Rotom-W is always 2HKO'd by the +1 Waterfall of both variants and Offensive variants are doing 79.67% - 93.78% under rain, so any smart player that tries to weaken Rotom-W [and if Stealth Rock is up, there's not much it can do about that] can easily sweep this team with Gyarados, given that it's such a shaky counter. Dragonite is 2HKO'd by Bounce and is at risk if SR is up, given that you lack a Spinner to remove it. Overall, Gyarados has the potential to rip major holes in this team and if played well enough, pull off a sweep. I think you can fix your Gyarados weakness relatively easily by changing Rotom-W to a Choice Scarf variant, which can always revenge kill Gyarados and force it back into Stealth Rocks, thus limiting its opportunities to come in and sweep you, not to mention you can OHKO it or cripple it with Trick. Anyways, I'd like to further advocate the use of Levitate on Bronzong. While it's nice to take all but nothing from Fire attacks, you have 3 team members who can take them with ease, so they shouldn't be much of a problem. Mamoswine, on the other hand, can deal heavy damage to each member of your team, provided it has Stone Edge, but Bronzong proves to be an extremely safe switchin and counter with Levitate. Same goes for Dragons that carry Earthquake, all in all, Levitate is really the better ability due to the widespread use of Ground attacks in the OU Metagame.

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick

Change Summary:

Bronzong:
Heatproof->Levitate

I'll definitely try out the Rotom again, but I really don't like Hydro Pump on Politoad just because of the accuracy I don't think it's worth it..

The reason I chose heatproof instead of levitate on Bronzong was because it's assumed levitate. No one is going to use ground moves unless they see spikes effect it but otherwise I never get EQd or Earth Powered.

Just a quick thing, Levitate over Heatproof on Bronzong. With Levitate you get one less safe switch-in to Landorus spamming Earthquakes. In Rain,Fire attacks won't be doing a lot of damage anyway. Also spikes will wear down Bronzong very quickly because he has no recovery.

BTzz

spams overhand rights
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hi. Your team would really benefit from Magnezone support; Breloom and Dragonite gets walled all day by Skarmory, while Ferrothorn stops Politoed and Rotom-W cold. Magnezone eliminates both (Ferrothorn can't break your subs if you burn it with Politoed) and can also eliminate Jirachi for Tornadus as an added bonus. Now all three of the Steels I mentioned also lay hazards, which your team is very susceptible to, so I suggest using Magic Coat on Magnezone to salvage to hazards from helpless Steels, while keeping them away from your sweepers. Magnezone would fit best over Bronzong as you keep you Dragon / Rock resist. Bronzong is a bit of a controversial change as you lose sr, but Magnezone might be able to get them from using Magic Coat. Mag can also team up with Politoed to Perish Trap stuff.

Losing Bronzong leaves you weak to Latios (Zong was a pretty shaky check to begin with, getting 2HKOed by rain- boosted Surf) so I think you could try Choice Scarf Haxorus over Dragonite. Haxorus can revenge kill Lati@s (beats SubCM Latias with Dual Chop) and is deadly with Mag support. The addition of Haxorus also somewhat compensates for the loss of SR, as Haxorus can KO +1 Dragonite (through Multiscale) and +1 Volcarona with Outrage. With Haxorus around HP Ice on Tornadus becomes even more useless, so I would try using Rain Dance to help win (or neutralize) weather wars.

Magnezone | Magnet Pull | Leftovers
Timid | 36 HP / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
Thunder | Hidden Power Fire | Substitute | Magic Coat

Haxorus | Mold Breaker | Choice Scarf
Adamant | 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Outrage | Earthquake | Dual Chop | Rockslide

good luck with the team and I hope this helps

I suggest levitate > heatproof because in rain you dont need to worry about fire attacks. Unless your trying to kill a ninetales in a weather war or a Special based t-tar, you should be fine with levitate

Lavos

Banned deucer.
I'm gonna just jump on the bandwagon here and say Levitate > Heatproof so you can rape sand even more.

Kudos on Zong. That shit wrecks.

Hey NPC, wanna know a secret? Iron Ball negates Levitate.
I didn't expect you to know that, glad to see you still aren't surprising anyone.

And to the author, jsyk someone stole this and claimed it was their original idea on my site, we have locked the thread and put a disclaimer on it, just letting you know there are still people in the world that care about stuff like that.

ZoroDark

esse quam videri
is a Tiering Contributor
Ok, everyone assumes it has Levitate, but either way you can't switch into Earthquakes which is one of the greatest assets of Bronzong over other steels. Very nice team, good luck with it!

Motagua

El Ciclón Azul
Hey there! Solid rain team you got there. I am going to back-up Karpman´s suggestion of using a Scarfed Rotom-W over your current variant. +1 DD Gyarados easily destroys this team and you have no way to revenge kill it or pose a significant threat to him.

Also run Levitate on Bronzong instead of Heatproof. You´re in Rain so Fire-type attacks will not be able to kill Bronzong unless there is Sand or Sunlight. Also, one of Bronzong´s biggest assets is the ability to counter pokemons like Mamoswine or Landorus thanks to Levitate allowing him to switch into Earthquake.

With Rotom-W using a Choice item, you might want to use run 3 Attack Politoed instead of your current Scarf Politoed. Don´t forget that Politoed has decent bulk and Rain being able to boost its attacks to high levels. This set combines Politoed´s ability to do damage while being able to tank certain hits. The liberty of switching out will help greatly your weather starter considering 3 Choiced pokemons could be a drawback.
Politoed (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SAtk / 8 Spd
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast / HP Grass
- Hydro Pump
- Perish Song

Just wanted to say it is VERY obvious when a Bronzong is running Heatproof. A Heatran's Fire Blast only doing like 7% is a complete give away and any competent player will realise and nail you next time. Its much better to have Levitate since it gives you the option to switch him into ground moves. Also with Fire moves already halved you don't really need it. Chances are that and Fire attack won't KO under rain anyway, whilst if someone finds out you don't have Levitate you'd be OHKO'ed since Rain doesn't mitigate of soften the blow of ground type moves.

Just wanted to say it is VERY obvious when a Bronzong is running Heatproof. A Heatran's Fire Blast only doing like 7% is a complete give away and any competent player will realise and nail you next time. Its much better to have Levitate since it gives you the option to switch him into ground moves. Also with Fire moves already halved you don't really need it. Chances are that and Fire attack won't KO under rain anyway, whilst if someone finds out you don't have Levitate you'd be OHKO'ed since Rain doesn't mitigate of soften the blow of ground type moves.
Not necessarily. Cause I don't switch into a Heatran with my Bronzong...By them switching in, they automatically assume that I will switch out or stay in and risk the Fire Blast, so 90% of the time, they will go for Stealth Rocks. If I see the Air Balloon, I trick the Iron Ball next turn as they go for the Fire Blast, even in the rain (Yes that does happen). Once they see that I have an Air Balloon, regardless if I was levitate or not, they will either go for another Fire Blast or switch out as I go for an EQ to take out the Heatran or do some damage. If the Heatran doesn't happen to have Air Balloon, it makes it easier to just EQ when it uses Stealth Rocks and they won't get the chance to use Fire Blast.

This Bronzong also destroys Magnezones, Celebis, Latios, and basically everything that thinks they can do good damage with HP Fire. Magnezone comes in when I KO something, almost always. They will set up a sub usually, and I will just EQ. Them seeing I have EQ, they will either go for a HP Fire, or switch out if they have any sense. Celebi's can only cripple zong by T-waving or Leech seeding and even if it does get paralyzed, that just powers up my Gyro Ball even more. Latios can do up to 50% with draco meteor with a CSpecs sometimes but if it switches into zong thinking it can KO with HP Fire, I will OHKO with one Gyro Ball, easily after Stealth Rock damage.

Also, you guys should look at 1nvalid's comment. Iron Ball negates the effects of levitate and this being an offensive zong, needs the Iron Ball for the power of Gyro Ball.

Motagua

El Ciclón Azul
@Maybe: Then use a Macho Brace instead of Iron Ball. I do not really see the benefit of using Iron Ball + Heatproof on Bronzong. Latios will 2HKO Bronzong anyways with Surf, while HP Fire from Celebi already does pathetic damage to Bronzong and needs possibly a +4 to 2HKO at least, and Magnezones will be using their STAB Electric moves against Bronzong in Rain anyways. Macho Brace reduces Bronzong´s Speed by 50%, just like an Iron Ball, without removing Levitate´s Ground immunity. Macho Brace and Levitate are the superior options to use on Bronzong because it allows him to check Landorus & Mamoswine. You should also know that if the opponent sets up Spikes on your team, Bronzong will take the damage revealing Heatproof very easily.

would also echo the bronzong sentiment should you stick with it. heatproof cuts fire damage by 25% (in rain); levitate totally negates any ground aka earthquake attack. levitate is worth it for that imo. you gain alot more.

I've tested the team pretty thouroughly and though I swapped bronzong out for metagross, I still agree that Heatproof is better than levitate for this set/team, the reason he runs iron ball isn't just to lower his speed, it's to ground the opponents when he tricks them as well. and since someone listed pokemon it can only counter with levitate, I'll list pokemon it can only counter with iron ball: Rotom-W, tricking it the iron ball allows it to be hit by earthquake. Skarmory, while still not countered, having it grounded makes it much easier to deal with using earthquake. Zapdos. Balloon Heatran, as he mentioned. and there are plenty of other ways it can help but they're more situational, like having a gengar tricked an iron ball when the opponent's last two are Gengar and Infernape, giving you a safe move in earthquake instead of forcing you to predict.

I'd also like to show the Metagross I ended up with in case you want to try it out:
Metagross @ Iron Ball
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Trick
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash

The speed EVs are to ensure it outspeeds base 130's after tricking the iron ball.

i would like to suggest you tailwind over hp ice on tornadus, since hp ice is really not needed and tailwind gives you a revenge against opposing scarfmence (wich literally sweeps you out in lategame) and other fast treaths as jolteon.

also, levitate > heatproof is needed on a metagame in wich eq is one of the strongest attacks coming from landorus, especially.

scarftom could work, too.

nice team

Thanks Invalid

I've been playtesting this as well. I can't decide if I like the Metagross or Zong better yet. I'll update soon.

You really need to change your Bronzong's ability to Levitate. In the rain Fire Type moves are cut in half, so having Heatproof and in the Rain is redundant. Go with Levitate as this gives Bronzong zero weaknesses. Also you can come on an Earthquake, spikes, much easier with Levitate

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)