move 2: Close Combat
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Facade
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Hustle
nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 36 Def / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Rufflet is a wallbreaker with incredible offensive power due to Hustle. A Choice Scarf allows it to make up for its mediocre Speed and outspeed the entire unboosted metagame, along with 15 Speed Pokemon with a +1 boost like Adamant Choice Scarf Vullaby and Scraggy after a Dragon Dance. Brave Bird and Close Combat can be used to pick up KOs early-game, with Facade being an option to allow Rufflet to deal solid damage even when burned. Rufflet should use U-turn when against a foe that cannot be OHKOed or when the opponent will likely switch in a counter to Rufflet.

Rufflet is an excellent teammate for Pokemon that struggle against Grass- and Fighting-types, like Corphish and Onix. As Rufflet forces the opponent to switch Pokemon very often, it benefits greatly from entry hazards. A Pokemon that can set entry hazards on the opposing team's side like Dwebble is a good choice as a teammate due to this. Since Rufflet is weak to Stealth Rock itself, an entry hazard remover like Drilbur or Gossifleur helps it out a lot. Rufflet's main weaknesses are to Chinchou and Rock-types, so Pokemon that wall or trap them like Ferroseed and Trapinch are able to alleviate these weaknesses.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[rssp1, 217944]]
- Quality checked by: [[Nineage, 195129], [Merritt, 213064]]
- Grammar checked by: [[deetah, 297659]]

Last edited:

Nineage

Pugnacious.
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
  • Don't mention "before" in the first sentence - we don't reference past generations unless absolutely necessary. Just say its a wallbreaker.
  • The sentence starting with "You should use" should be eliminated - it can be inferred from the other info.
  • Don't use 2nd person ("you should use") but instead say "Rufflet should" or use passive voice
  • You don't need to talk about the defense EVs, just end the sentence where the comma is now.
  • Instead of Chinchou, give an example of a more offensive Water-type here imo
  • Honedge is too niche to be mentioned in a pre-analysis, remove that sentence
1/2

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
[SET]
Choice Scarf Attacker
Rufflet (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Hustle
Level: 5
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace

[SET COMMENTS]
Rufflet is a wallbreaker with incredible offensive power. Rufflet's choice scarf set allows it to make up for its mediocre speed and outspeed the entire unboosted metagame, along with 15-speed Pokemon with a +1 boost. Brave Bird and Close Combat can be used to pick up early-game kills, with Aerial Ace as a move that will be guaranteed to hit while still gaining a boost from Hustle. Rufflet should use U-turn when against an opponent that cannot be OHKOd. The EVs are allocated to maximize speed and attack.

Rufflet is an excellent teammate for Pokemon that struggle against Grass-types and Fighting-types, like Corphish and Onix. It also benefits greatly from hazards, so a Pokemon which can set hazards on the opposing team's side like Dwebble is a good choice as a teammate as well. Rufflet's main weaknesses are to Electric- and Rock-types, so Pokemon which wall or trap them like Ferroseed and Trapinch are able to alleviate these weaknesses.
- Rufflet can't use Aerial Ace because it is no longer a TM/TR, and the Move Relearner was reverted to Pre-SM standards, and you can't learn the move unless you're the appropriate level because it's a Male-only Pokemon. Use Facade in that slot I suppose.

- Make sure it's actually a Choice Scarf.

Last edited:

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Please write analyses in the necessary format.

The set is currently in the form of a PS importable, not an analysis.

You need a credits section. Here's the template, please use this.

[SET]
name:
move 1:
move 2:
move 3:
move 4:
item:
ability:
nature:
evs:

[SET COMMENTS]
Set description goes here.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[<username1>, <userid1>]]
- Quality checked by: [[<username1>, <userid1>], [<username2>, <userid2>]]
- Grammar checked by: [[<username1>, <userid1>]]

Once this is in the required format I'll check the content.

Stoward

Ah, you're finally awake
Hi AM Check here, there's a fair bit of stuff here so I'd probably hold off on implenting this unless QC asks you to.
  • Would like to see a mention of the downsides of Hustle, as the lack of accuracy on its attacks combined with the fact that it's pretty frail can result in it missing key KOs or losing momentum when missing U-Turn.
  • The line about Rufflet outspeeding the entire unboosted metagame as well as base 15 pokemon with a +1 boost should probably mention some targets (ie. Adamant Scarf Vullaby) as that statement is otherwise pretty self explanatory and could be seen as fluff.
  • I don't entirely agree with the statement about Rufflet using U-Turn when it can't OHKO its opponent. If Rufflet is able to OHKO an opponent with one of its attacks, that Pokemon isn't likely to stay in, so using U-Turn is a safe way to ease predictions and keep momentum. Also if a Pokemon is weakened or statused etc, you might want to use U-Turn to bring in a teammate so that that Pokemon can be used as setup fodder for a teammate.
  • Would like to see a sentence about it facing competition as a Choice Scarf user from Vullaby and Galarian Farfetch'd. Both of them hitting the same speed tier and have more reliable methods of hitting Ghost-types thanks to Dark STAB or Scrappie. Also having
  • Max/Max EVs don't really tend to make it into full analyses these days as it's considered fluff, so probably don't really need to include a sentence about what they do here.
  • Rufflet really isn't a fighting check (236 Atk Farfetch'd-Galar Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 36 Def Rufflet: 21-25 (91.3 - 108.6%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO). It also dies from Drain Punch into Mach punch from Timburr if rocks are up.
  • Hazard removal is also pretty important for Rufflet due to its Stealth Rock Weakness, meaning that it has less opportunities to be brought in. Lack of any recovery or Berry Juice doesn't help this, so probably wanna mention that in the second paragraph.
  • I feel like you want to be focusing more on offensive roles when you're referring to teammates, for example Corphish is also a good partner as it's able to revenge kill a +1 Onix with Aqua Jet, which is pretty crucial as Onix outspeeds Choice Scarf Rufflet.
  • The only real viable Electric-type is Chinchou, who is able to bop Trapinch with Scald/Hydro Pump. The Rock-type statement is true though, Onix and Dwebble do hate Ferroseed and Trapinch. Trapinch also appreciates the U-Turn support as it eases predictions when trying to trap Pokemon, meaning that a teammate doesn't necessarily have to take damage.

Last edited:
Hi AM Check here, there's a fair bit of stuff here so I'd probably hold off on implenting this unless QC asks you to.
  • Would like to see a mention of the downsides of Hustle, as the lack of accuracy on its attacks combined with the fact that it's pretty frail can result in it missing key KOs or losing momentum when missing U-Turn.
added this!
  • The line about Rufflet outspeeding the entire unboosted metagame as well as base 15 pokemon with a +1 boost should probably mention some targets (ie. Adamant Scarf Vullaby) as that statement is otherwise pretty self explanatory and could be seen as fluff.
also added this.
  • I don't entirely agree with the statement about Rufflet using U-Turn when it can't OHKO its opponent. If Rufflet is able to OHKO an opponent with one of its attacks, that Pokemon isn't likely to stay in, so using U-Turn is a safe way to ease predictions and keep momentum. Also if a Pokemon is weakened or statused etc, you might want to use U-Turn to bring in a teammate so that that Pokemon can be used as setup fodder for a teammate.
Modified my sentence a bit to mention that you should U-turn when you suspect your opponent may switch in a resist. I didn't want to mention all the possible usages of U-turn, so I opted to include the two I felt would be the most important here.
  • Would like to see a sentence about it facing competition as a Choice Scarf user from Vullaby and Galarian Farfetch'd. Both of them hitting the same speed tier and have more reliable methods of hitting Ghost-types thanks to Dark STAB or Scrappie.
I opted not to include this because this is a pre-analysis, and I don't think mentioning competition for the same role is something that would be needed in this. I'll definitely make sure to mention this when doing a full analysis, though.
  • Also having Max/Max EVs don't really tend to make it into full analyses these days as it's considered fluff, so probably don't really need to include a sentence about what they do here.
I kept the sentence in there since there would otherwise be no comments about the EV spread at all, which I don't think would be good.
  • Rufflet really isn't a fighting check (236 Atk Farfetch'd-Galar Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 36 Def Rufflet: 21-25 (91.3 - 108.6%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO). It also dies from Drain Punch into Mach punch from Timburr if rocks are up.
The Choice Scarf Set for Rufflet isn't really intended to be used defensively (unless 100% necessary) - my intent behind the sentence was to state that Rufflet places immense offensive pressure on those types, and tends to force them out / weaken their impact on the battle since they would have to worry about a double switch or VoltTurn when being switched in.
  • Hazard removal is also pretty important for Rufflet due to its Stealth Rock Weakness, meaning that it has less opportunities to be brought in. Lack of any recovery or Berry Juice doesn't help this, so probably wanna mention that in the second paragraph.
Good catch, I added this.
  • I feel like you want to be focusing more on offensive roles when you're referring to teammates, for example Corphish is also a good partner as it's able to revenge kill a +1 Onix with Aqua Jet, which is pretty crucial as Onix outspeeds Choice Scarf Rufflet.
Since I already mentioned more offensive teammates earlier in the analysis, I opted to go for defensive ones here.
  • The only real viable Electric-type is Chinchou, who is able to bop Trapinch with Scald/Hydro Pump. The Rock-type statement is true though, Onix and Dwebble do hate Ferroseed and Trapinch. Trapinch also appreciates the U-Turn support as it eases predictions when trying to trap Pokemon, meaning that a teammate doesn't necessarily have to take damage.
Trapinch was more intended for the Rock-types and any non-Chinchou electric types (although those don't really exist right now). Ferroseed is the better choice to deal with Electrics, hence the ordering of he two.
As an aside, I feel like it might be a good idea to mention forming a birdspam core with other birds like Wingull/Vullaby but i'm not sure if I should be adding content to the analysis between checks so I decided not to do so.

Thanks again for the detailed amcheck, Stoward!

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Set -
nature should just be written as "Jolly", no nature afterwards
"EVs" has to be lowercase

Don't define what Hustle does, it's filler and unnecessary information for analyses, at most adjust the first sentence to be "Rufflet is a wallbreaker with incredible offensive power due to Hustle." and then delete the next sentence entirely.

Remove the sentence about EVs, what they're for is obvious.

Either give a specific example of what hazards help Rufflet achieve (because it forces a lot of switches, specific KOs it picks up, things of that nature) or remove the sentence because there's no Pokemon in existence that doesn't like hazards on the enemy's side of the field.

There aren't really any viable Electric-types in Gen 8 besides Chinchou, so the mention is somewhat unnecessary.

2/2

I feel like mentioning Chinchou is still fairly important so should I replace Electric-types with "chinchou" isntead?
Also, the only viable rock-types right now are Onix and Dwebble, the latter of which doesn't resist flying-type moves, so should I replace rock-types with Onix?
everything else has been implemented

deetah

Bright like a diamond
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
Add Remove Comments

GP 1/1

garchompstamp.gif

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf Attacker
move 1: Brave Bird
move 2: Close Combat
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Facade
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Hustle
nature: Jolly

[SET COMMENTS]
Rufflet is a wallbreaker with incredible offensive power due to Hustle. Rufflet's choice scarf set A Choice Scarf allows it to make up for its mediocre Speed and outspeed the entire unboosted metagame, along with 15-speed 15 Speed Pokemon with a +1 boost like Adamant Choice Scarf Vullaby and Scraggy (after a Dragon Dance) after a Dragon Dance (No parenthesis). Brave Bird and Close Combat can be used to pick up KOs early-game kills (Kill is a banned term, except in revenge kill), with Facade being an option to allow Rufflet to deal solid damage even when burned. Rufflet should use U-turn when against an opponent a foe that cannot be OHKOd OHKOed or when the opponent will likely switch in a counter to Rufflet.

Rufflet is an excellent teammate for Pokemon that struggle against Grass-types (Remove "types", keep the hyphen) and Fighting-types, like Corphish and Onix. As Rufflet forces the opponent to switch Pokemon very often, it benefits greatly from entry hazards. A Pokemon which that can set entry hazards on the opposing team's side like Dwebble is a good choice as a teammate due to this. Since Rufflet is weak to Stealth Rock itself, a an entry hazard remover like Drilbur or Gossifleur helps it out a lot. Rufflet's main weaknesses are to Chinchou and Rock-types, so Pokemon which that wall or trap them like Ferroseed and Trapinch are able to alleviate these weaknesses.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[rssp1, 217944]]
- Quality checked by: [[Nineage, 195129], [Merritt, 213064]]
- Grammar checked by: [[<username1>, <userid1>]]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)