Sableye

its really to bad that an opponent can just stall you out by repeatedly switching as sableye has no attacking moves, i really think that the original set is much better than a sub set as you can run foul play to prevent that.
Right, because an opponent will just keep trying to stall by switching while racking up residual damage from hazards. That's the gameplan, and if they try it then I win, hands down. Because barring starmie none of the spinners can force Sableye out whereas sableye forces out all spinners (again, bar starmie, but starmie is fragile so it's not much of a threat to my team).

The whole point is to get your hazards down, and then force them to play around your spin blocker (Sableye) and in the process they rack up considerable residual damage. This is especially relevant because none of the spinners iirc are immune to any of the hazards, which means they will have a pretty tight clock to try and spin the hazards off.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Cool. But why is tox better than WoW ? What I mean is why keep tox but not WoW just wondering. I'll change and thx for advice.

whoops! i meant toxic not will-o-wisp

sableye needs will-o-wisp and an attack to function, there is no point in using subeye. it is countered by regeneration cores (tangrowth+slowbro is an example although neither are OU) when ever i see sub eye i would switch between the two poke on my regeneration core and stall them out+ sableye is most vulnerable when its using recover on subeye, so someone can just break your sub, and attack as they recover and possibly KO sableye. sableye needs a tool to pose an offensive presence, ehweter its night shade or foul play. it just needs it to function and not just be a ststus spreading sitting duck.

claydol is immune to spikes/Tspikes and resistant to stealth rock, and can retaliate with STAB earth power if taunted. if not, can setup its own rocks, or screens
That STAB Earth Power hits like...a wet tissue paper. Doesn't Claydol have like base 70 offenses?

Anyway, Sableye is so annoying sometimes :(
Taunt that wall, Poison that Fire type/bulky water, Burn that sweeper...the only problems are that it's frail(takes like 70% from Starmie's Hydro Pump) and it relies on WoW and it's trollish 75% accuracy.

well, the earth power thing was to defend the point "it's not total taunt bait, he can do something appart of struggleing", but sableye can outstall the poor sand totem with recover and whatnot.

for the record:
standard support claydol's earth power vs 252 HP/spdef calm sableye : 22.7-27% dmg . He's not braking it anytime soon unless you invest properly... eeeh , yea, prankster sableye is a little bugger.

----

woops, my bad, completely forgot about Claydol. Although yeah, the point still stands that it isn't going to spin vs Sableye anyway without some decent SpA investment.

I'm really hoping to see Sableye start gaining more popularity.

claydol is a bad spinner in UU because it can't use Foresight (Blastoise/Hitmontop) or has ridiculous offenses (Donphan) and it still loses to Roserade, Froslass, all those fucking spikers and what not

it's good in RU but Sableye's banned there anyway

why hasn't metal burst been mentioned? is it illegal with recover?
if not maybe a set like this, albeit gimmicky

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Nature: Careful
248 Hp | 136 SpD | 126 Def
- Metal Burst
- Torment/Taunt
- Substitute
- Recover

it just popped in my mind and it seemed good. Not sure about what ev spread to use as long as 252 or 248 of them go to HP

why hasn't metal burst been mentioned? is it illegal with recover?
if not maybe a set like this, albeit gimmicky

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Nature: Careful
248 Hp | 136 SpD | 126 Def
- Metal Burst
- Taunt
- Substitute
- Recover

it just popped in my mind and it seemed good. Not sure about what ev spread to use as long as 252 or 248 of them go to HP
Pokémon cannot Counter, Metal Burst, or Mirror Coat damage done to Substitutes. So basically you have to hope with Sableye's pitiful defenses to tank a hit, which isn't happening

Pokémon cannot Counter, Metal Burst, or Mirror Coat damage done to Substitutes. So basically you have to hope with Sableye's pitiful defenses to tank a hit, which isn't happening
oh didnt know that as i never used metalburst or any of the moves listed actually. Well then maybe a focus sash and shadow sneak?

Also, Metal Burst is useless on a Prankster set because Prankster would make it always go first, and thus fail. Metal Burst doesn't have negative priority.

Actually, even though Metal Burst does not have negative priority, it also is not priority boosted by Prankster because it is counted as a physical attack, so that is actually not a problem with Sableye's fairly slow speed. But yeah, its incompatibility with other much more useful egg moves will be a problem.

Is Metal Burst really worth it? Sableye really suffers from four-move slot syndrome, having a great variety of moves to choose from, among Will-o-wisp, Toxic, Substitute, Taunt, Recover, and Confuse Ray. Having Metalburst limits Sableye to three moves, and really defeats the purpose of having Prankster, which it can use to abuse so many more moves.

Is Metal Burst really worth it? Sableye really suffers from four-move slot syndrome, having a great variety of moves to choose from, among Will-o-wisp, Toxic, Substitute, Taunt, Recover, and Confuse Ray. Having Metalburst limits Sableye to three moves, and really defeats the purpose of having Prankster, which it can use to abuse so many more moves.
I think not since you have to give up Recover and Sableye has horrid HP anyways and it is KOed by any special attack.

At least it has priority Taunt.

Remember Metal Burst deals only *1.5 damage done to Sableye.

Sableye must have Prankster and Recover in all of its sets and WoW or CM and even Taunt.

If you are not using it, use another Pokemon.

I hate the boy who bumps old topics, but I think what I am going to say is worth of it.

I am testing this 'mon in OU with the Standard set which consists of WoW Taunt Recover and the optative Foul Play but changing the Evs 252 HP and 252 Def +Def with Lefties.

It is soon to say anything, but it is pretty useful. Since Foul Play is a real Dark move, so receives STAB and is super and not super effective depending on types, is good against tons of pokes, and in fact it is really good against physical attackers. Leaving Haxorus with only 23% HP out of 100% is incredible.

The faults are: Lum Berry is a lot seen now, Dragonite and Haxorus often carry it, missing WoW is not too uncommon unfortunately, specially on a poke which against a lot of physical attackers its survival depends on burning them, annoying random burns, specially for the damnit Scalds which reduce its poor survival and the power of Foul Play and strong special attackers.

Gliscor is also annoying unless you WoW in the switch(I almost got it once but WoW missed that time)

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
While most people would skepticize the use of a Bold nature with Will-o-Wisp, I think the extra bit of defense is necessary in the OU metagame, where too much is already capable of OHKOing Sableye for comfort. Perhaps this should see more use on a Sun team, which allows you to spinblock Starmie safely and keep your overkill defense?

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, I use sableye in sun, which imo is the only way you can reliably use it as a spinblocker. The only rapid spinner who has the potential to beat sableye in the sun is donphan, and that's assuming sableye switches in on the earthquake and misses w-o-w the next turn.

Sableye is the most overrated piece of trash around. Anything that doesn't mind WoW / Taunt / weak dark moves demolishes it and Sableye can barely switch in on anything.

Sableye is the most overrated piece of trash around. Anything that doesn't mind WoW / Taunt / weak dark moves demolishes it and Sableye can barely switch in on anything.
Sableye can be a bitch to stall teams though, in the same vien as Mew. Stall teams just can't waste a member to 1HKO it, that is why I guess more stall teams are simply running heatran these days...

I actually deal with it by switching in Celebi and spamming gigadrain, it is usually effective unless it is a specially defensive version, and yes I am fishing for a crit, but after 16 turns, the odds of one happening are 96% (I believe, correct me if I am wrong).

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Foul Play uses the objective's stat attack.
which is just further justification to lower the Atk IV on Pokemon who don't use their Atk stat (if you didn't already do that to minimise confusion damage).

Foul Play vs Timid 31 Atk Celebi = 50.88% - 60.23%
Foul Play vs Timid 0 Atk Celebi = 43.86% - 51.46%

Sableye can be a bitch to stall teams though, in the same vien as Mew. Stall teams just can't waste a member to 1HKO it, that is why I guess more stall teams are simply running heatran these days...
No that just means your stall team is weak to it. Any that run Heatran, most Rain stall, anything with early Toxic Spikes etc. Stallbreaker Mew runs into similar problems but has a chance of switching directly in on some offensive threats. Mew is actually 100% better a stallbreaker due to better stats and speed that for all intents and purposes is the fastest stall will see.

Foul Play uses the objective's stat attack.
I know, thus you have complete control of its only offense. Will-O-Wisp, Taunt and a weak Dark attack / Night Shade. This is literally the only offensive presence Sableye has. Yeah it can beat unprepared teams but its a free switch in to anything that can 2HKO it when burned / immune to burn.

Anyone know if Foul Play is weaker when the opponent is burned?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)