Resource Sample XY Teams for entering the metagame

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantom

Banned deucer.

I thought I'd debut this team whenever Sneasel got banned considering how much more powerful it is now. Anyways, this is just a generic sun team for the most part and I've designed it to cover most threats as best as it could. It's pretty simple to use - get Vulpix to set up sun and then start smashing away with either Oddish or Tangela. The premise behind pairing these two together is because they share the same checks and by the time one of them is taken out, the other will have free reign to sweep (most of the time). Use Meditite whenever you run into sticky situations b/c that priority Bullet Punch + Fake Out is such a life save. Meditite is also useful for stopping those Sturdy Juice smashers in their tracks and slaughters annoying Munchlax. Tyrunt is the defensive backbone of this team; it counters Murkow, checks Yanma, sets up rocks, and keeps a boosted Fletchling from 6-0ing everything. Bunnelby is the late-game cleaner and the go-to lead when I'm not sure what to start off with. It's probably the most replaceable member of this team, but it's saved my butt more times than I can count, so it's kinda hard to articulate how well it performs. It just does what it does pretty darn well, lol. This team is pretty customizable for the most part, feel free to take it for a spin and tweak it around however you like. Just play a little more prudently when you're up against Gligar or Yanma and you should be fine.

Vulpix (F) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
Level: 5
EVs: 196 SAtk / 236 Spd / 52 HP
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Overheat
- Energy Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Oddish (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 200 Spd / 240 SAtk
Modest Nature
- SolarBeam
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain

Tangela (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 200 Spd / 200 SAtk / 76 HP
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sleep Powder
- Ancient Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Bunnelby (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 224 Spd / 228 Atk / 56 Def
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Thief

Meditite (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 196 Atk / 196 Spd / 116 HP
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Ice Punch
- Fake Out

Tyrunt (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 156 SDef / 132 HP / 220 Def
Impish Nature
- Rock Slide
- Dragon Tail
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Fang

Last edited:
Thinking about it, the best option would just be using random sun team counters, but I don't know which ones are viable now aside from other Fire and Grass types, stuff like Hippo (Snover is quad weak to Vulpix's STAB), and the like.

Thinking about it, the best option would just be using random sun team counters, but I don't know which ones are viable now aside from other Fire and Grass types, stuff like Hippo (Snover is quad weak to Vulpix's STAB), and the like.
Sun isn't used that much due to the nerf in weather, you'll be really vulnerable to other teams if you focus on an archetype that's not used at a metagame breaking amount.

Thinking about it, I'd rather do a casual team. I do now think that anti-sun will get hard countered by other, more common threats other than sun.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Anti-Sun isn't that hard to pull off. Just off the top of my head, Mantyke's gargantuan special bulk and its Rain Dance/Swift Swim combination in tandem with its Water + Flying STAB is enough to check the popular core of Vulpix/Tangela. Many Prankster carriers also get Rain Dance. Speed Boost Yanma can easily get around Tangela, and Vulpix's Rock and Ground weaknesses don't do it any favors. It's definitely not impossible to do anti-Sun; just think outside the box a little!

Amaura's Rock + Ice STAB is super effective on Vulpix and Tangela, respectively, and its unreleased ability Snow Warning also replaces Sun with Hail, thereby toning down Vulpix's Fire moves as well as slowing down Tangela. Amaura has a huge advantage over Snover as an auto-Hail inducer in that it isn't weak to Fire, so this will be a notable Choice Scarf option to consider as well when Amaura's hidden ability Snow Warning is released. ♥

http://pastebin.com/DChhBMat

This was actually a team based around Scyther that I made for my friend to use against me, but I just replaced Scyther with Gligar and I think it works reasonably well. The basic idea is to Knock Off as many Eviolites (and Choice Scarfs) as possible with Croagunk and Timburr, and then get in a Swords Dance with Gligar and sweep. Archen keeps off Rocks so Magnemite's Sturdy remains intact and counters Yanma/Murkrow, Croagunk and Timburr are excellent Shell Smash and Carvanha counters, and Magnemite is a solid pivot and good emergency plan, hitting Swirlix super effectively with Flash Cannon. Porygon is a solid counter for Tangela and Gligar and is just generally a pain for the opponent to deal with. Try to get troublesome pokes out of the way quickly so you can set up with Gligar. This team has a bit of a weakness to Fighting-types (Croagunk is the only poke you can afford to switch in to Fighting-attacks), but once Gligar gets set up they're obviously not a problem.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
what do you mean? on pastebin? just export and put it on pastebin? if you want the sprites dont really worry about it ill deal with it when i put it up otherwise i think you are talking about the team itself?

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 196 Spd / 236 Atk / 76 HP
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Knock Off

Bunnelby @ Life Orb
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 220 Spd / 228 Atk / 60 Def
Jolly Nature
IVs: 23 HP
- Return
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack
- U-turn

Surskit @ Focus Sash
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 236 Spd / 196 SAtk / 20 SDef / 20 Def / 36 HP
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Signal Beam
- Sticky Web
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Staryu @ Berry Juice
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 236 Spd / 196 SAtk / 76 SDef
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam

Yanma @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 236 Spd / 236 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Protect
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Air Slash

Tangela @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 40 Spd / 116 SAtk / 236 HP / 116 SDef
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Sleep Powder
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This is the team I RMTed today that I absolutely love. I explained how it plays throughout the thread if you want to read up on it in depth: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/mad-hops.3494599/#post-5049514

If you DON'T want to read about it in depth, the basic premise of the team is to get up Sticky Web and just punch holes in the opponent's team. Early game, use Tangela and Pawniard to pivot into stuff and take hits, use Knock Off from both of them to soften up the opponent, and clean up later on with Bunnelby and Yanma! If you have any questions, chances are I've answered them in that thread, but otherwise VM me or hmu on IRC. Make sure to pick a last move on Surskit because it's slashed right now.

Anti-Sun isn't that hard to pull off. Just off the top of my head, Mantyke's gargantuan special bulk and its Rain Dance/Swift Swim combination in tandem with its Water + Flying STAB is enough to check the popular core of Vulpix/Tangela. Many Prankster carriers also get Rain Dance. Speed Boost Yanma can easily get around Tangela, and Vulpix's Rock and Ground weaknesses don't do it any favors. It's definitely not impossible to do anti-Sun; just think outside the box a little!

Amaura's Rock + Ice STAB is super effective on Vulpix and Tangela, respectively, and its unreleased ability Snow Warning also replaces Sun with Hail, thereby toning down Vulpix's Fire moves as well as slowing down Tangela. Amaura has a huge advantage over Snover as an auto-Hail inducer in that it isn't weak to Fire, so this will be a notable Choice Scarf option to consider as well when Amaura's hidden ability Snow Warning is released. ♥
I agree that Mantyke is a hard stop to sun as someone who uses it myself. Best way to counter, at least synergistically seems to be Dwebble since Rock Blast will usually KO, and it can set up rocks/spikes to help Tangela get some important OHKOs(spikes for Meditite, which can tank a LO Solarbeam with Eviolite, rocks for Eviolite Murkrow which can take an Ancient Power), plus it has the added benefit of checking Yanma if Sturdy is still intact. The latter fact matters a ton because Modest Max Tangela in Sun speed ties Yanma at +1.

Ok, I'll retire my lc team for now, at least.
This is one ive been using since the start of xy and perfecting (kinda sucked at the start), so here it is.
PS this uses like many broken threats lol but its for a reason

Carvanha @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 196 Atk / 156 SAtk / 156 Spd
Naughty Nature
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Swirlix @ Berry Juice
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 100 HP / 204 SAtk / 204 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam
- Flamethrower
- Surf

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 244 HP / 108 Def / 148 SDef
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 156 HP / 236 Def / 76 SDef
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Earthquake

Tangela @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 196 SAtk / 156 HP / 156 Def
Lax Nature
- Knock Off
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis

Pawniard @ Berry Juice
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 236 Atk / 196 Spd / 76 HP
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

So basically gligar, tangela, ferroseed, and pawniard work as solid defensive teammates and wear down the opponents; tangela and pawniard both have the BROKEN AF KNOCK OFF. While more pokes usually have it, these two are sturdy enough to consistently and continually use this and wear the opponent down; spikes and sr are also excellent. Now you might notice that I'm using defensive gar and tangela, but these are legit sets and gar provides a really needed additional fire check/counter. Now lategame swirlix and carvanha work excellently together and wreck shit that dont have their evios. They also work well with spikes support. Dwebble can be used instead of ferroseed but bulky waters are a bitch otherwise. Also swirlix can run sub or something but fires and steels are annoying and you dont want to give up your stab
this team is kinda 6-0ed by sneasel but w/e
medidite kinda sucks but cant really come in and i play around it well imo
uhh yeah you can cover threats relatively well. Also firetypes are quite annoying so do NOT allows free switchins(sleep powder/leech seed on tangy, leech seed+protect on ferro)
i lost to cork in finals of a ps minitour but he had torchic so that doesnt count......
Edit-thanks a bunch for the input but i dont intend on changing this team :)

Last edited:
these teams shouldnt be posted here theres alot of no skill morons running around PS stealing them and acting cocky af when they win

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
these teams shouldnt be posted here theres alot of no skill morons running around PS stealing them
uhm yeah, that kinda the point

and acting cocky af when they win
That's your problem, grow a thicker skin. And if you are losing to a team with their complete sets and play strategies revealed in the open, you need to do better yourself, no offense.

I'm sorry at what point did it ever take skill to copy and paste teams that good people made? lol I mean honestly you cant be serious thinking that these teams being here is a good thing, its just gonna result to noobs running around the ladder with the same teams and each one thinking they're good cos they have a smogon team that they stole, we should be talking about sets and things that actually matter not posting teams that people got high on the ladder with and want to bless n00bs with their teams, I'd honestly rather just play the people that made them not some idiot with a retarded alt username that thinks he/she is amazing cos they stole a team.. eh kinda said that alot but thats whats happening so oh well and i dont need to get "better" because no matter how much "better" you get if a team is well built it will win plus factor in hax cut the jokes kid

That's your problem, grow a thicker skin. And if you are losing to a team with their complete sets and play strategies revealed in the open, you need to do better yourself, no offense.
Rofl so no one should ever lose to mega kanga since all of its sets are on the forum, same with mega gengar? wonder why they are banned... lmfao kids these days man

Redirect me if I'm in the wrong place, but can we talk about banning that god damn Berry Juice :|
You're in the wrong place.

Ok, I'll retire my lc team for now, at least.
This is one ive been using since the start of xy and perfecting (kinda sucked at the start), so here it is.
PS this uses like many broken threats lol but its for a reason.
No U Turn or Volt Switches at all? :(
IMO you could improve this team a lot more by swapping out Swirlix for a Mienfoo or Magnemite or some sort of pivot. From my very vast LC experiences, U Turn and Volt Switch are the absolute best moves for taking control of a game from the start, and easily build up momentum in your favor and every team should have at least 1. You could also try U Turn on Gligar. The Gligar set I've been favoring lately is Berry Juice with Acro/EQ/U Turn/Rocks or Defog. Berry Juice gives it the survivability it needs and lessens 4 move slot syndrome by eliminating the need for Roost, and frees up a slot for U Turn which is really great on Gligar who can force switches so easily.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm sorry at what point did it ever take skill to copy and paste teams that good people made? lol I mean honestly you cant be serious thinking that these teams being here is a good thing, its just gonna result to noobs running around the ladder with the same teams and each one thinking they're good cos they have a smogon team that they stole, we should be talking about sets and things that actually matter not posting teams that people got high on the ladder with and want to bless n00bs with their teams, I'd honestly rather just play the people that made them not some idiot with a retarded alt username that thinks he/she is amazing cos they stole a team.. eh kinda said that alot but thats whats happening so oh well and i dont need to get "better" because no matter how much "better" you get if a team is well built it will win plus factor in hax cut the jokes kid
Hey man, I kind of think you missed the point of this thread, one of the biggest barriers for people entering any new meta, but especially little cup, is team building, because they have no idea what is good. This thread aims to help, as you put it, "n00bs" get into little cup so this community continues to grow. While team building is an important aspect of pokemon that does require skill, it is incorrect to say that the team building is the only aspect. The fact that you are losing to these teams means that the people using them must have some ability to play the game, or that the team you've made is unable to function in the meta (all of these teams only have common threats). And yes, you do need to get "better", we all do, but honestly you said it yourself, if a team is well built it will most likely win, maybe you just need to make a better team.

Also its really hard to take you seriously because you are calling other LC players newbs when your only 4 posts in this forum are in this thread complaining about losing to random ladder people with a stolen team.

Rofl so no one should ever lose to mega kanga since all of its sets are on the forum, same with mega gengar? wonder why they are banned... lmfao kids these days man
SoulFly was saying that because you know the sets you have a distinct advantage over your opponent for example, using the team Kingler12345 posted above me I know I have a free switch in with my HP Fire Chinchou, because his Ferroseed lacks Bullet Seed, that is something that I would normally never do but since I know his team I can use that to my advantage. I also know his Swirlix set lacks Psychic and Thunderbolt making Skrelp a perfect counter, which is not true if I don't know the team. As for the kids these days comment, based on your attitude I would guess you are 13, based on the numbers in your username I would guess you were 19, please start acting like it.

No U Turn or Volt Switches at all? :(
IMO you could improve this team a lot more by swapping out Swirlix for a Mienfoo or Magnemite or some sort of pivot. From my very vast LC experiences, U Turn and Volt Switch are the absolute best moves for taking control of a game from the start, and easily build up momentum in your favor and every team should have at least 1. You could also try U Turn on Gligar. The Gligar set I've been favoring lately is Berry Juice with Acro/EQ/U Turn/Rocks or Defog. Berry Juice gives it the survivability it needs and lessens 4 move slot syndrome by eliminating the need for Roost, and frees up a slot for U Turn which is really great on Gligar who can force switches so easily.
Although I don't think kingler12345 should replace his Swirilix with your recommendations, as Swirlix seems to be his win condition, I really like that Gligar set you recommend. Seems like a great way to gain momentum and lure in checks and counters that can be beaten by something else on his team :).

Im not gonna lie youre right but its jut annoying and i noticed the team was from this thread after i lost and looked at the thread and saw the team honestly im not surprised people been stealing teams since cavemen been making fire, just wow im amazed people cant just read the team and try an make their own why copy the whole team how can you have fun using someone elses team lol

Im not gonna lie youre right but its jut annoying and i noticed the team was from this thread after i lost and looked at the thread and saw the team honestly im not surprised people been stealing teams since cavemen been making fire, just wow im amazed people cant just read the team and try an make their own why copy the whole team how can you have fun using someone elses team lol
I do agree with you, I think it's MUCH better that if someone doesn't know much about LC / is new to LC build their team on their own, and not C&P one. If they do this they will never know how to make a team, and honestly its way more fun t make your own team. It's also kinda impersonal too. Like someone goes up and asks you "can you help with my team? I'm new to LC" and you just say "go look at this thread." I see that a lot on the PS! little cup room.

That said though, these teams are all pretty similar. If you look at the teams on the second post, only two of them has a flying resist, and only 1 at that. You can definitely take advantage of this with offensive flyers such as Murkrow and Flechtling. Shellder also does work on a whole bunch of teams right now. So you just need to experiment.

EDIT: that being said, I will edit this post with the team I used to use, but really don't anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)