Sand is Strong !

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus
Introduction:

Hello everyone im BROStime, and today I have an RMT I want to share with you guys. I hope you will enjoy it, and have a good time reading it feedback and constructive posts will be very usefull so just spam usefull posts as much as you can.
Well ive always wanted to make a sucessfull sand team and I finally made it.
Im so happy now, this team is pretty strong but ofc it has its weaknesses as all other teams have, and I need help to find them. So now I will introduce Sand is Strong for you guys, enjoy reading and have a nice time her it is.

Sand is Strong !

At a Glance !

A Closer Look:

Tyranitar @ Shed Shell
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 64 SAtk / 192 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

So this is my weather inducer and SR layer, Tyranitar is an extremely strong pokemon, and its defenses is great. The reason why I chosed Tyranitar instead off Hippowdown is that it has great defenses, and it can surprise a lot off defensive pokemon like Gliscor or Ferrothorn with Fire Blast and Ice Beam. This set works pretty well on the team, and im by far happy with the job Tyranitar has done. Well some off you might be like wth !? Shed Shell why would you use that, Leftovers is better and Chople Berry is better but its not, both Gliscor and Jellicent covers Tyranitars fighting weakness + Shed Shell lets me escape Dugtrio that is very popular on sun teams these days.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Protect

So here is my Terrakion counter and Blissey/Chansey breaker, this guy is so amazing doing his job prefectly. This set totally counters Blissey and Chansey as I can Toxic/Taunt/Protect stall them to death or to make them switch. Its taking on Terrakion all day long and can retaliate with EQ for the 2HKO or force a switch, and let me get a free Toxic or a predicted Taunt. When Gliscor gets his Toxic Orb activated he also acts as my Status Absorber which is just awesome. Gliscor also makes an amazing defensive core with Jellicent.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Download
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Atk
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- U-Turn
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam

Well this thing is so good in the meta right now that I just had to try it out, with its amazing coverage and Download boost, it gets extremely strong being a threath to almost every OU team out there. I chosed the scarf set because it so good to scout with and I already have Sand Rush on Stoutland that means I dont need to use RP on Genesect and can leave that slot free to U-Turn. Genesect is just amazing, revenge killing almost everything, so I have to say if Genesect wont go Uber then I dont know, it is a really good pokemon.

Stoutland @ Life Orb
Trait: Sand Rush
Evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Return
- Superpower
- Ice Fang

So here is the star off the team, Stoutland is so good with great coverage and it hits like a truck with a Life Orb, as I dont see to may Stoutland's around Ice Fang becomes a great move for him giving Gliscor/Landorus a nasty surprise, also when outspeeding most off the scarfers in the tier, surprising them with a hard hitting Return or a SE move in their face. If this thing could use Swords Dance it would have been Uber now for shure, so beware dont underrestimate this dog or you will get a nasty surprise!

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

This Jellyfish is one off the most imortant partner on the team, as you might have noticed without this guy I would have been crushed by every rain team out there, Water Absorb is just an amazing ability along with WOW to cripple enemy hard hitters. Recover is obvious espesially in a sand team, Shadow Ball is there for coverage, and because I have two other mons with Taunt from before off I dont need it on Jellicent. This guy is amazing countering Terrakion/Volcarona those really big threaths here in OU, making him such an important member off the team.

Heatran @ Life Orb
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power {Ice]
- Taunt

Well Heatran is extremely usefull to absorb fire attacks aimed for Genesect and gain that flash fire boost making him pretty damn strong, Magma Storm is there for trapping but I it can be switched for something else. I think trapping can be pretty usefull on Ninetales or even Politoed but I really dont know, I could use some help one this one.
But anyway Heatran works great as an dragon killer, and a wall against dragons making him very usefull for the team.

Thoughts

Well what is your thoughts about this sand team ? Please tell me I would love to hear your opinion, I hope you guys liked reading it. So that was all I had on my heart so good bye and have a nice day further ! :)

Importable
Tyranitar @ Shed Shell
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 64 SAtk / 192 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Protect

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Download
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Atk
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- U-Turn
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam

Stoutland @ Life Orb
Trait: Sand Rush
Evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Return
- Superpower
- Ice Fang

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Heatran @ Life Orb
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power {Ice]
- Taunt

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi,

This is a pretty nice team- I always love seeing Genesect and Stoutland. However, your team is really weak to Rotom-W: It hits Tyranitar, Gliscor, and Heatran hard with Hydro Pump, and it hits Jellicent with Volt Switch. Genesect can outspeed and OHKO, but Rotom-W can just switch out. In fact, Rain teams seem to give you a lot of trouble- Water type moves hit 3 pokemon super effectively, and sweepers only meed a coverage move to hit Jellicent, and they can sweep your whole team. Heatran looks out of place here- the Magma Storm set is really only supposted to be used for Sun teams, and since you're using it without Sunny Day it can't trap and kill Politoed. To help you combat Rain teams, and form a neat little defensive core, I suggest you switch Heatran with Standard Ferrothorn.

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Relaxed nature, 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD, 0 spe IVs
Power Whip / Spikes / Leech Seed / Gyro Ball

Ferrothorn will provide you with a very solid and effective answer to Rotom-W and all his Rain loving friends. Power Whip hits Rotom-W hard- with a 75% chance to OHKO. It also does solid damage to other water types. Spikes are for more hazards, and since your team is semistall having passice damage on your opponent's side will be very useful. Leech Seed is for passive healing- and a way to heal without Leftovers. With Leech Seed, Sand, and Iron Barbs/Rocky Helmet, your opponents will be losing 47% health every turn they toich you- meaning faster spinners like Starme won't ever dare spin in your face. Gyro Ball is another great move that hits DDancers and choice scarf pokemon hard. Thunder Wave can be used over Gyro Ball to cripple set up sweepers even more.

Because your team also has a small weakness to Tornadus-T, I think you should try Specially Defensive Tyranitar instead of what you have right now. Since Jellicent, Ferrothorn, and Gliscor are all physical walls, having a special sponge is very important.

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Adamant nature, 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Stealth Rock / Crunch / Pursuit / Stone Edge

This Tyranitar walls a lot of special attackers- from Specs Latios to LO Tornadus-T. Chople Berry allows you to survive Tornadus's Superpower and OHKO back with Stone Edge. Crunch and Pursuit trap Psychic types, eliminating them as threats. Of course, if Dugtrio annoys you thay much, you can always switch back to Shed Shell- however, you lose the ability to wall Alakazam, Gengar, and Tornadus-T.

Cool team, good luck!

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hello, nice team you got here!

First off I suggest trying out Taunt over Scald on Jellicent. Taunt is a great move on Jellicent as it allows you to break stall with ease. You should also try a different Heatran set as that Magma Storm set is typically best used on a Sun Team. Heatran should probably run a Specially Defensive set as you need a more reliable way of dealing with Sun Sweepers like Volcarona and Venusaur. A spread of 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def Calm @ Leftovers Lava Plume / Toxic / Roar / Protect really gives you a more bulky set that will perform much better in a Sand team like this. Heatran can run this set perfectly, and on a team like this cripple many walls through Lava Plume and Toxic. It also gives you a safer answer to the notorious Tornadus - T. You should also try Wild Charge over Ice Fang as it is a terrible move outside of Gliscor and other dragons. Pursuit is also a worthwhile option to use. It can trap threats like Gengar and Alakazam who attempt to switch out from Stoutland.

Now it is quite obvious you have a big weakness to rain teams and Rotom-W. To help check this, I suggest trying Celebi to take care of it. Being immune to status means it can easily take stray Will-O-Wisps, Thunder Waves, or Toxics that Rotom-W and Politoed can fire off. It also doesn't mind the burn it may receive from Scald. I suggest trying out Celebi over Stoutland.

Celebi @ Leftovers | Natural Cure
232 HP / 240 SpA / 36 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Leaf Storm
- Recover
- Hidden Power Fire

Good luck!

hi there nice team. i feel like either tyranitar or stoutland should carry pursuit for trapping the lati-twins and other psychic types that could become a problem. genesect is nice Pokemon but it not always the best i may suggest bugbuzz for persistant stab that doesn't make you switch.

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus
Well thanks for the rate guys ill try them out i wil change heatran to sdef and give stoutland wild charge as i see those small changes will,help,me out a lot even against rain teams also that celebi set wasnt to shabby either so ill,might try that. Sorry for bad typing lol, im on my phone for the moment.

peng

hivemind leader
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey, this is a cool team! However, I really think this team could do with Spikes support somewhere, as it is almost completely set-up to abuse them already. Stoutland really appreciates Spikes support to help break through grounded Pokemon that can cause it problems (such as Hippowdon and various bulky waters), and you already have Jellicent in place to spinblock.

I'm not really sure what Heatran is doing for you here. It actually isn't checking dragons all too well without Air Balloon to begin with, plus the set doesn't really make much sense to me. Magma Storm + Taunt is generally used to lure in and cripple Blissey, who you shouldn't really have trouble with between Gliscor, Tyranitar, Stoutland and Genesect's +1 U-Turns. I think you could replace Heatran with Forretress, who can check Outrage-locked Dragons just like Heatran could, as well as set-up Spikes to help wear down Politoed and Ninetales to make it easier to win the weather war. Forretress can also Rapid Spin away hazards to keep Tyranitar around for longer, which is much appreciated without Leftovers. This is the only really major change I can think of.

Forretress (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

Forretress also has good synergy with your Tyranitar and Jellicent. You can Volt Switch out of opposing Jellicent to pin them with Tyranitar (may be worth giving TTar more speed to outspeed Jellicent for this). Forretress can also Volt Switch as a spinner like Tentacruel or opposing Forretress comes in and go to Jellicent to keep your hazards up. With this system to lure and weaken Jellicent, Stoutland will have a much easier time sweeping late game.

I'd recommend giving Jellicent a bit of a moveset change, giving it Toxic over Will-O-Wisp and Taunt over Shadow Ball. The first change allows Jellicent to counter non-Sub Volcarona in Sun, who is even more of an issue without Heatran (although you were pretty HP Ground Volc weak even with it). Going with Taunt makes Jellicent an excellent stallbreaker, spreading status between Scald and Toxic, and preventing those statused Pokemon from recovering themselves. Between Forretress and Taunt Jellicent you have a very formidable anti-stall core. Taunt Jellicent also helps with a few other things like CM Reuniclus.

I think you could also go with a Choice Band over Life Orb on Stoutland. This is personal preference, but I feel that Stoutland is far too easily revenge-killed when taking into account Life Orb recoil and hazards damage. If you want to pull off a late-game sweep, the extra power on your STAB Return is also much appreciated. The downside of this, however, is that Gengar becomes more problematic, as you can't just Crunch it if you get locked into Return. Other options would be Silk Scarf / Expert Belt / Muscle Band etc, which all boost power, don't give recoil and can bluff Choice Band too, although are significantly weaker than Choice Band Stoutland.

I'm not really seeing the need for Ice Beam on Tyranitar. I assume it was for weakening Gliscor prior to Stoutland coming in, but you already have Ice Fang Stoutland, Ice Beam Genesect, Scald Jellicent, and (if you choose to add it) Hidden Power [Ice] Forretress, which all check / counter Gliscor excellently already. I think Pursuit would be a nice option there to allow you to actually trap Lati@s rather than letting them escape unscathed as you Crunch.

Finally, with Taunt Jellicent and Rapid Spin Forretress there isn't a whole lot of need for Taunt on Gliscor, since hazards shouldn't be all too much of a problem. I think you could go with Ice Fang there, which allows you to hit Breloom, Dragonite and Salamence, who you really want to be able to deal damage to.

tl;dr:
Heatran -> Forretress
Jellicent Will-o-Wisp -> Toxic, Shadow Ball -> Taunt
Stoutland Life Orb -> Choice Band / other non-recoil boosting item
Tyranitar Ice Beam -> Pursuit
Gliscor Taunt -> Ice Fang

These changes are by no means necessary, your team is already very solid but I feel that you really get the most out of Stoutland and Jellicent with Spikes support. Tornadus-T remains as much of an issue as it was at the beginning but you have 2 revenge killers in Stoutland and Genesect, plus theres hardly anywhere that it can switch-in for free.

Cool team, good luck!

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus
Thanks for the rate its a good suggestion but,i think my team could need a sdef wall than another defensive one but i really like your idea tho :-)

Quiver Dance Volcarona setting up on choice-locked Genesect, can do a number to your team, especially with HP Rock / Ground for Heatran. It's pretty much a necessity to have Sand Storm up for Stoutland to revenge it, so if the opposing weather starter got sun up first you'd have to bring out Tyranitar to get sandstorm up to revenge with Stoutland, and risk a Bug Buzz. Calm Mind Keldeo carrying Hidden power Ghost also sets-up on a choice-locked Genesect in the appropriate move, and can take out most of your team with relative ease. Genesect and Stoutland outspeed it, the former fails to KO with any of its moves, and Stoutland does 67.2% - 79.3% with Return, failing to KO Keldeo. Substitute + Dragon Dance Gyarados also looks annoying, setting-up on a not very effective move on Genesect, or forcing out Heatran to put up a substitute then racking up boosts to sweep. You pretty much have to let something go down in order to bring Genesect and revenge-kill it. Rotom-W can also do a number against your team, coming in against 4 / 5 members and posing a threat with Hydro Pump / Volt Switch.

Firstly, I agree with the above on Toxic over Will-O-Wisp on Jellicent. This will allow you to do much better against Volcarona, turn cripple it with Toxic, and then stall it out with Recover. I'd also like for you to try Taunt over Shadow Ball to prevent things like Gastrodon from crippling you with their own Toxic and can also be used against Trickroom Reuniclus, as Jellicent is one of the few Pokemon on your team which can actually stand up against it with Recover to stall out its turns of Trickroom, and then Taunt it to prevent it from using it again. Cursed Body over Water Absorb will aid you in Recover stalling its Trickroom turns, as having a 30% chance to disable its use of Shadow Ball, it's main form of offense against Jellicent will be useful. Toxic also aids against HP Ghost Keldeo, taking the hit, then crippling with Toxic. After Toxic, Sand Storm, and Life Orb damage, it will be much easier to take out for Stoutland, and you can Taunt it as well to prevent racking up further boosts. It pairs up well with Gliscor taking on the Specially-inclined threats like Starmie, and both of them also have Taunt to keep other defensive Pokemon from getting too comfortable against them (Forretress trying to set-up Spikes for example).

Secondly, to help you against Rotom-W, you could try a Passho Berry on Heatran with Hidden Power Grass over Hidden Power Ice. Rotom-W tends to switch-in to Heatran a lot as it threatens a lot of its common partners like Scizor and Genesect. You can take an Hydro Pump with the Passho Berry, and retaliate with Hidden Power Grass. I thought of replacing Heatran with Ferrothorn, but that leaves you prone to opposing Genesect who would otherwise be troublesome, being able to threaten every member of your team bar Heatran. The loss of Hidden Power Ice isn't too costly, as you still have Genesect and Stoutland to revenge kill Dragons. Even though this is not an outright counter, you lure it out and weaken it. I can't afford to change anymore members at this point, as otherwise you will be left weaker to other threats.

Lastly, it'd better if you opted for Wild Charge on Stoutland over Ice Fang. Wild Charge will make revenge killing Keldeo that much easier, rather than trying to absorb its boosted attacks to get it to 65%~ for Return to KO. Dragons are already more or less checked by Genesect, so the change to Wild Charge shouldn't really cost you much.

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus
Well i really like your idea about jellicent ill,totally,try that, but while replacing ferro with heatran i will,be very weak to sun, so i should probably use that celebi set over stoutland tho.

Noticed that the lack of Heatran will leave you prone to opposing Genesect and your team will lose a considerable offensive power without it. Rate edited with another suggestion

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus
Actually im thinking about making this team a full stall team, replacing Genesect and Stoutland with Celebi and Forretress. That will help my team with rain and keeping Heatran will help me with sun, also going to make Heatran a phazing set then.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Team is pretty solid. I would only have some moveset suggestions. I would give Jellicent Taunt over shadow ball, you don't need the extra coverage and it will help against bulky waters and burned ferrothorn.

I would forego stealth rock on Tyranitar and put it on Heatran. Heatran will be able to set up rocks more consistently, especially if you give it a balloon to avoid being trapped by Dugtrio.

late game scarf latios can do a lot of work to your team so you should try to get rid of it early in the game if possible or keep jellicent healthy at all times. if you put pursuit on your tyranitar you will be able to handle it a lot better.

i would trade your shed shell on ttar for a chople berry or another item, and give heatran shed shell > LO, if you are worried about sun teams. Sun teams with dugtrio can handle a shed shell ttar, but the vast majority of them will fall apart against a shed shell heatran as they usually rely on dugtrio to trap it and probably only carry one other mon which can damage it significantly, and so it will completely wreck them.

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus
Im not worried about sun teams, ive changed Heatran to a defensive set, and I might use Chople Berry on Tyranitar, but I do find Shed Shell very usefull tho.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)