Sand Veil Sand Rush

Notable Moves:

-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Swords Dance
-Rapid Spin
-Stealth Rock
-Toxic

Thanks to the Dream World, Sandshrew has been blessed with an amazing ability: Sand Rush! This allows Sandshrew to outspeed the unboosted metagame with little investment in speed, swords dance up and sweep, use become a fast, bulky spinner. Sandshrew's greatest niche over Drilbur is its phenomenal physical bulk (28 with max+ and Eviolite), and so the ability to stay around longer and spin. Sandshrew also has access to STAB Earthquake as well as support moves like Toxic and Stealth Rock. Sandshrew is a great Pokemon in Little Cup- Discuss its potential!

Although RushShrew is good, Drilbur does this better because of its Attack (85) and Speed (68). Also, Drilbur can still use Eviolite and have decent defenses, although this set is very unheard of.

OP said:
Sandshrew also has access to STAB EQ as well as support moves like Toxic and Stealth Rock.
Drilbur gets STAB EQ, Lileep gets Toxic, and they both get SR. Lileep would do a better job of Toxic + SR since Sandshrew lacks decent (or any, iirc) recovery and because Lileep's defenses, typing, and ability are overall superior, while Drilbur's EQ hits harder.

Nonetheless, Sandshrew is still pretty decent with Sand Rush now, so it's always usable if you want a change of pace in your sand team.

Also, did you get this approved? That was my mistake on the Elgyem topic >_>

I agree, but Sandshrew is arguably a better defensive spinner. You could also use a double dance type strategy with Shrew and Drilbur.

And no, I haven't actually heard of that and don't know how! -_-
Hope that isn't a terriblie thing..

The Double-Dance thing could work! However, the best defensive Spinner is Staryu, so Sandshrew shouldn't really run much outside of a SD + 3 attacks set.

You could also use a double dance type strategy with Shrew and Drilbur.
You mean double dragon. Double dance is a Pokemon with Dragon Dance and Swords Dance on it.

This strategy worked in DW with Excadrill and Sandslash both with Sand Rush. Not sure if that'd transfer to LC, but it did work and is a good strat (albeit you're going to need to cover their 3 shared weaknesses)

Sandshrew, even if it does run an SD + 3 attacks set, is still outclassed by Drilbur. It's slower than Drilbur and doesn't have the same strength, and whatever physical defense Sandshrew has doesn't really come into play because its main weaknesses (Water, Grass, Ice) are mainly Special Attacks and neither will be able to live attacks anyways. Sandshrew is a nice Pokemon with a solid choice of defensive options, but shouldn't be used for offensive purposes as Drilbur is a better option and should be relegated to a physically bulky rapid spinner.

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The only viable usage for Sandshrew is with Drilbur. Sandshrew weakens Drilbur's counters enough for Drilbur to sweep. The probem is that you lack support, so anything like Choice Scarf Snover or Choice Scarf Porygon will absolutely rip through your team. It also makes you much more dependent on getting and keeping sand up.

Also, please please please get these threads approved.

On a sand team it is a decent defense spinner- though I must agree it's best option is paired with Drilbur for a "Double Dragon" Strategy.

iss: Yeah, sorry about that, I had no idea. Will do in the future!

Sandshrew is outclassed by Drilbur due to insignificant offensive stats when compaired to Drilbur. When Sandshrew is used offensively it is almost always with Drilbur to form "Double Rush" Where Sandshrew weakens Drilburs checks so he can sweep. Personally i dont really think Double Rush is that good. Because it can single handedly be beaten by Shell Smash Tirtouga as well as Scarf Snover and Porygon. These three pokemon can also beat Hippopotas as well. If you are looking for a pokemon to assist a Drilbur sweep you can't look past Magnemite who also happens to be a nice check to Choice Scarf Snover. However this thread is about Sandshrew not Drilbur. The only real advantage that Sandshrew has over Drilbur is his physical defence so he can take Mach Punch's and Sucker Punch's better.

Has any of you had succes with a defensive Rapid Spin set? Oh and Feel the Aura you may want to add some Sandshrew sets in the op.

Sandshrew is outclassed by Drilbur due to insignificant offensive stats when compaired to Drilbur. When Sandshrew is used offensively it is almost always with Drilbur to form "Double Rush" Where Sandshrew weakens Drilburs checks so he can sweep. Personally i dont really think Double Rush is that. Because it can single handedly be beaten by Shell Smash Tirtouga as well as Scarf Snover and Porygon. These three pokemon can also beat Hippopotas as well. If you are looking for a pokemon to assist a Drilbur sweep you cant look past Magnemite who also happens to be a nice check to Choice Scarf Snover. However this thread is about Sandshrew not Drilbur. The only real advantage that Sandshrew has over Drilbur is his physical defence so he can take Mach Punch's and Sucker Punch's better.

Have any of you had succes with a defensive Rapid Spin set? Oh and Feel the Aura you may want to add some Sandshrew sets in the op.

I apologise for bad grammer i am on my phone and i will edit this when i have time.
Sandshrew is a complement to Drilbur, not a replacement. Whatever Sandshrew can do Drilbur does better, but they are best paired together on a team for the most optimal performance.

Like everyone is saying in this thread, Drilbur does outclass Sandshrew in almost every way. Sandshrew could successfully run a defensive spinning set, but Drilbur with Eviolite seems like it does good enough in the current metagame. Like comatthew6 said, Drilbur and Sandshrew can be used together, like the Gorebyss and Simipour combo in NU. I'm sure that if Drilbur ever gets banned for any reason, we will see a rapid rise in Sandshrew usage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)